Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:22:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Only started playing...  (Read 2115 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Only started playing...
« on December 31, 2016, 03:42:03 pm by NickDRFC »
After they went a goal up. First half as bad as, if not worse, than Notts C. Houghton couldn't find a red shirt, the rest not much better and again we looked absolutely lost in midfield. Still no real problems at the back unless one of the defenders or Marosi played us into trouble.

Second half Mason moved into the middle and Alcock dropped in for 3 at the back, soon after Middleton came on and he really made a difference - probably the best I've seen him for Rovers. After their goal we got some momentum going and could have had a couple of goals - plenty of threatening balls into the box and Rowe hit the post with a great near post header from a Middleton corner.

Definite penalty (although Rowe (I think) was certainly looking for it), calmly put away by Mandeville.

Copps has to come straight back in on Monday, and I'd be saying the same had we won again. He holds that midfield together like no one else can. For me he'd replace Marquis who looked like he needs a rest today, but wouldn't surprise me if he comes in for Williams or Mandeville either.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andysly

• VSC Member
Re: Only started playing...
« Reply #1 on December 31, 2016, 03:47:12 pm by andysly »
Whole team need a break, we've been going with same 12/13 for weeks now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 31, 2016, 04:31:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yep, it was obvious at Notts Co that Copps needs to come back in as soon as.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 31, 2016, 04:33:37 pm by Copps is Magic »
Lacked composure. Passes going here, there and everywhere. Fergie realised the problem, but too late. When Middleton came on we regained control of midfield. Good point in the end.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 31, 2016, 04:40:18 pm by albie »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 31, 2016, 04:41:29 pm by drfchound »
Agreed we were poor first half and that their goal woke us up but I also thought we were very good for the last half hour.
Rowe was particularly bad first half but very prominent late on.
Credit to Liam for putting the pen away in a pressure situation but he should have done better with the shot he put wide from the edge of the box.
It should be remembered that there are two teams on the pitch and Mansfield worked really hard to press us high up the pitch to prevent our fluent passing style.
Overall though four points from two away games is a good enough return.
Copps has to come back into the team because we are missing his quality and probably at the expense of Marquis who does look a bit jaded.
The two games in three days next week will be tough but it will be for Portsmouth too so I expect to see more than the usual one or no changes to the team.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 31, 2016, 04:42:35 pm by IDM »
7 points from 3 tough games, with only one goal conceded, is still 7 points....

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 31, 2016, 05:06:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
From that DF interview, we definitely have 2 signings coming in next week and there will be changes for Stevenage game. Can't believe they didn't ask him who were the 2 newbies.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 31, 2016, 05:09:14 pm by eastender »
From that DF interview, we definitely have 2 signings coming in next week and there will be changes for Stevenage game. Can't believe they didn't ask him who were the 2 newbies.

I think there's a few clues around on here.

ballysbackin

« Reply #9 on December 31, 2016, 05:14:06 pm by ballysbackin »
All I would say is that Donny have stopped shooting at goal (That is - shots on target) if you look today at Plymouth  and Carlisle you will see a stark contrast. To score goals firstly you have to shoot towards the goal and then get some on target. For several weeks now Donny seem to want to let somebody else shoot just in case it misses and they get slated. The shot of Manderville against Notts deserved to go in but where were the others for a tap in.. I do not know for sure but probably Carlisle hold the mantle for top scorers in Division.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 31, 2016, 05:18:05 pm by IDM »
No, Doncaster are still the leading scorers..

You will get some games where the opposition seems to block everything.  At Notts Co they put 3 onto the player with the ball, especially in the first half..

ballysbackin

« Reply #11 on December 31, 2016, 05:22:58 pm by ballysbackin »
Yes thanks.. Just checked  a single goal so they need to shoot instead of passing and being frightened to shoot

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 31, 2016, 05:27:49 pm by IDM »
45 goals in 23 games.. we have just had 3 tough games.. there will be more games to come that aer mpre open with more chances...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 31, 2016, 05:31:18 pm by drfchound »
Sometimes fans get frustrated when we play teams that pack defences against us, wanting players to shoot when all that would happen is that shots would be blocked.
Also they want players to shoot from thirty yards out and not many of those go in do they.
Because of our league position it is invariably going to happen that more often than not we will have to pass our way into scoring positions.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 01, 2017, 02:31:36 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It's a good point today. We didn't play well i suspect the games caught up with a few and they need to be rested. Also the Christmas period causes it's own problems with over indulging a touch, very few won't have ate a bit too much or drunk a few too many.
Coppinger comes back at just the right time, plus new signings and players who haven't been starting will get their opportunity. I wanted us to start picking a few draws up when we didn't play well rather than losing.

Once Evans starts with his recruiting Mansfield will become a tough place to go for a result. Mandeville showed good nerve to put the penalty away. Rowe has been unlucky all season that he hasn't had the role behind the strikers. Due to Coppinger's form and Mandeville's improvement plus his ability to adapt to the left side.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012