Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:46:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?  (Read 33877 times)

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Thoughts on McCann’s new players?
« Reply #150 on July 13, 2018, 08:02:31 pm by Cantley Rover »
I wonder if Liam Hoden ever thinks to himself. "Why do I bother?"

I wonder why he bothers writing a headline that isn't substantiated by what he then writes in the article underneath it. If it isn't deliberate clickbait, at best it's bloody awful journalism.

I'm not sure which part of what Hoden says is unsubstantiated? Are you suggesting Grant McCann didn't say these things to Hoden or are you insinuating Hoden is lying?

I'm saying that Hoden has reported an interview, and quoted McCann heavily from it, then written a headline that the interview itself doesn't mention. It is that headline that is unsubstantiated - unless perhaps I've missed it and you can point me to where McCann says in the interview what his future transfer plans are?

I'm not saying Hoden is lying. McCann may very well have said what Hoden says he did. It's just extremely odd for Hoden not to then include it in the reported interview...which is bloody awful journalism!

To be fair to Liam Hoden, does he actually get to write the headline or does that fall to some sub editor?

Whoever it is, it's them to blame for all this because people are reading the headline and believing it without reading the article and realising it's crap. And then it's getting posted all over there as true.

I'm sorry but I have read the headline and the article and cannot see how you come to the conclusion it's crap. Perhaps you could explain.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on July 13, 2018, 08:14:05 pm by Michael Shaw »
No matter how much the VSC try to defend the current situation there is an awful lot of dissatisfied fans out there unhappy with the the way things currently are.
I would like to see the club offer refunds to unhappy fans that don't see their ticket money spent wisely.
I have read little that is positive (other than from the VSC) about where we are going.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/doncaster-rovers-hoping-youth-paves-the-way-to-fame-and-fortune/

We have now sunk to 19th on the bookies site     https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/winner
Hardly what I would expect for what we are being told will be a top 6 position at the end of the season. 

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on July 13, 2018, 08:14:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
McCann admits he would be satisfied with his lot in the transfer market.

Which comes after the first three paragraphs which talks about the signing of Crawford and Wilks and maybe Taylor.

Interpretation?

And where does McCann admit it in the interview? It's Hoden's words again, not McCann's.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #153 on July 13, 2018, 08:16:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I wonder if Liam Hoden ever thinks to himself. "Why do I bother?"

I wonder why he bothers writing a headline that isn't substantiated by what he then writes in the article underneath it. If it isn't deliberate clickbait, at best it's bloody awful journalism.

I'm not sure which part of what Hoden says is unsubstantiated? Are you suggesting Grant McCann didn't say these things to Hoden or are you insinuating Hoden is lying?

I'm saying that Hoden has reported an interview, and quoted McCann heavily from it, then written a headline that the interview itself doesn't mention. It is that headline that is unsubstantiated - unless perhaps I've missed it and you can point me to where McCann says in the interview what his future transfer plans are?

I'm not saying Hoden is lying. McCann may very well have said what Hoden says he did. It's just extremely odd for Hoden not to then include it in the reported interview...which is bloody awful journalism!

To be fair to Liam Hoden, does he actually get to write the headline or does that fall to some sub editor?

Whoever it is, it's them to blame for all this because people are reading the headline and believing it without reading the article and realising it's crap. And then it's getting posted all over there as true.

I'm sorry but I have read the headline and the article and cannot see how you come to the conclusion it's crap. Perhaps you could explain.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised you can't. And I've explained more than once, but no doubt you can't see that either.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on July 13, 2018, 08:17:37 pm by godlike1 »
Be dale - are you serious?

The Board's stated aim this season is top 6, not bottom 6! We are nowhere near a strong enough squad to challenge the upper reaches of this division......yet. It is to be hoped that there are a couple of rabbits yet to be pulled out of the proverbial hat.

Do you think that Shrewsbury players and fans thought they would be top six?

Do you think Leicester thought they would win the premier league?
What we think and what happens are two different things
It is all about the team and how the gel and how well they perform  collectively 
Games are won on grass not on paper
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-not-planning-much-more-business-in-transfer-market-1-9250195

If he believes that then let’s hope it’s just talk because if it’s actually the case we won’t be good enough for top 10 in my opinion

I’d agree with that, there are no signs off a push for promotion with this team at this moment in time.
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-not-planning-much-more-business-in-transfer-market-1-9250195

If he believes that then let’s hope it’s just talk because if it’s actually the case we won’t be good enough for top 10 in my opinion

I’d agree with that, there are no signs off a push for promotion with this team at this moment in time.

Has the season started then?

No

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on July 13, 2018, 08:18:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No matter how much the VSC try to defend the current situation there is an awful lot of dissatisfied fans out there unhappy with the the way things currently are.
I would like to see the club offer refunds to unhappy fans that don't see their ticket money spent wisely.
I have read little that is positive (other than from the VSC) about where we are going.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/doncaster-rovers-hoping-youth-paves-the-way-to-fame-and-fortune/

We have now sunk to 19th on the bookies site     https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/winner
Hardly what I would expect for what we are being told will be a top 6 position at the end of the season. 

If you write to the club I'm sure they'll refund you for whatever reason you want to have, depending on how many matches are still left on the season ticket. Knock yourself out.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on July 13, 2018, 08:19:26 pm by Michael Shaw »
The VSC and posters in the pockets of the club can say what they want but the wider world knows better. Of course the VSC will say "everyone everywhere is talking b*llocks and got it wrong".

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on July 13, 2018, 08:22:08 pm by Cantley Rover »

Which comes after the first three paragraphs which talks about the signing of Crawford and Wilks and maybe Taylor.

Interpretation?

And where does McCann admit it in the interview? It's Hoden's words again, not McCann's.

OK so you are saying Hoden is lying then fair enough.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on July 13, 2018, 08:22:39 pm by Michael Shaw »
Glyn do you ever get tired of constantly arguing? You feel you have to respond to every post on here. As WUMs go you are a master.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on July 13, 2018, 08:22:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The VSC and posters in the pockets of the club can say what they want but the wider world knows better. Of course the VSC will say "everyone everywhere is talking b*llocks and got it wrong".

You can say what you want as well.

And we're just as entitled to laugh at it if we want to.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on July 13, 2018, 08:24:03 pm by Michael Shaw »
Cantley, you should know that everyone, everywhere is a liar except the VSC and DROS. So say the VSC.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #161 on July 13, 2018, 08:25:04 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Interpretation?

Putting words in my mouth isn't fair enough but it's obviously your stock in trade to justify what you say.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on July 13, 2018, 08:25:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Cantley, you should know that everyone, everywhere is a liar except the VSC and DROS. So say the VSC.

No-one's forcing you to stay. You must enjoy being a WUM too much.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on July 13, 2018, 08:27:17 pm by Michael Shaw »
This ought to be the Glyn_Wigley site not a Doncaster Rovers fan site.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on July 13, 2018, 08:28:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Fame at last

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on July 13, 2018, 08:30:20 pm by Cantley Rover »

Interpretation?

Putting words in my mouth isn't fair enough but it's obviously your stock in trade to justify what you say.

But if you are disputing that Grant McCann said what Liam Hoden printed then obviously the only conclusion to come to is that you think he is not telling the truth ie lying.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on July 13, 2018, 08:31:27 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Interpretation?

But if you are disputing that Grant McCann said what Liam Hoden printed then obviously the only conclusion to come to is that you think he is not telling the truth ie lying.

So he couldn't be mistaken at all then?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on July 13, 2018, 08:34:34 pm by Cantley Rover »

Interpretation?

Come on you can do better than that.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on July 13, 2018, 08:35:24 pm by Jonathan »

Interpretation?

My interpretation is that he must have been on drugs if he’d be satisfied with that!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on July 13, 2018, 08:36:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Interpretation?

Come on you can do better than that.

I don't need to, Hoden does. It's his article that's caused this. Apparently he uses twitter a lot, why don't you go and ask him yourself?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on July 13, 2018, 08:40:28 pm by Barmby Rover »
Apparently McCann is now finished in the transfer market, so we have a youth team player from Leeds and a Scottish midfielder to add to the squad that finished a relatively comfortable lower mid-table last season. So where is the vast improvement going to come from to "push for the top 6"? I can't see it myself. I wish I could be proved wrong.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on July 13, 2018, 09:00:25 pm by vaya »

Ahh. We got there finally.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on July 13, 2018, 10:48:05 pm by Retdon1 »
Apparently McCann is now finished in the transfer market, so we have a youth team player from Leeds and a Scottish midfielder to add to the squad that finished a relatively comfortable lower mid-table last season. So where is the vast improvement going to come from to "push for the top 6"? I can't see it myself. I wish I could be proved wrong.

This

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on July 13, 2018, 10:55:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

I like to think we could improve from last season without any new players i think fergie ever got the best out of the lads but top 6 will be too much for sure. Kind of feel like we shot ourselves in the foot by going public with that.

I don't really believe we're all done in transfers wouldn't be surprised if we hold out till deadline day to get better value if its out there 

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on July 13, 2018, 11:04:01 pm by Alan Southstand »
Unless, of course, by then they've all signed for other teams.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on July 13, 2018, 11:27:31 pm by Michael Shaw »
At this moment we have no idea whether McCann is better or worse than Ferguson only time will tell, but we shouldn't assume he is better. Ferguson was not sacked he resigned out of despair with where the club is going and we can all see why. I don't understand why there is not more money in the coffers this year. Have we massively undersold season tickets or what? I don't remember having such severe issues in the last several years. We normally make what we can consider reasonable signings most summers.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on July 13, 2018, 11:31:22 pm by Danmckay456 »
A serious lack of ambition and More interested in club Doncaster that’s the problem

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on July 14, 2018, 09:59:16 am by DonnyOsmond »
A serious lack of ambition and More interested in club Doncaster that’s the problem

Good if they're interested in something (Club Doncaster) that'll increase our transfer budget.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on July 14, 2018, 10:30:41 am by Rovers Return »
At this moment we have no idea whether McCann is better or worse than Ferguson only time will tell, but we shouldn't assume he is better. Ferguson was not sacked he resigned out of despair with where the club is going and we can all see why. I don't understand why there is not more money in the coffers this year. Have we massively undersold season tickets or what? I don't remember having such severe issues in the last several years. We normally make what we can consider reasonable signings most summers.

He should of been sacked from despair! My frigging despair and thousands of others having watched months of shite, clueless football. I was at my lowest ebb for years with what was served up from Ferguson. Clueless! More than one way to skin a cat and I for one thank the board for that.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on July 14, 2018, 10:35:55 am by Boomstick »

Good if they're interested in something (Club Doncaster) that'll increase our transfer budget.
how ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012