Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 04:18:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Another Good One From The EU  (Read 1325 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Another Good One From The EU
« Reply #1 on November 18, 2011, 03:49:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
As ever, there is far more to it than meets the eye. Makes a good \"Barmy EU\" headline for the Mail, Express, Telegraph etc, but the story is more complex.

The EU scientists, of course, are NOT saying that water doesn't reduce dehydration. What they were doing was passing a judgement on a claim by German lawyers who want to enshrine in law the right of companies to market bottled water as a \"cure\" for dehydration.

It is the lawyers who are playing silly f**kers, trying to help advertising and marketing people convince folk that bottled water is somehow better for you. The EU people were basically slapping them down and telling them to go fiddle.

If you are dehydrated, go get some tap water. Don't let some marketing wizard convince you that you will magically be cured only by spending two quid on a bottle of Perrier.

Funny int it how, when you read behind the headlines, the Euro-phobes ALWAYS twist the story to make their own xenophobic case?

It also happens to be untrue that the EU ever tried to ban bent bananas, to re-name Bombay Mix \"Mumbai Mix\" for PC reasons, or to force the UK to call sausages \"High fat emulsified offal tubes.\" But at various points in time, the press have had a field day reporting these as examples of how f**king barmy the Eurocrats are. And we as a nation have our petty Little Englander-ness reinforced by these lies on a daily basis.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 18, 2011, 04:10:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
If anyone's thick enough to think there's a great deal of difference between either type of water then they're the ones who need help.  I don't think many people are stupid enough that they need a daft directive like this, what a daft story, surely these people have better things to do in life?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 18, 2011, 05:20:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=198985
surely these people have better things to do in life?

If you are talking about Daily Mail journalists in general, or marketing lawyers trying to establish a legal right to claim that bottled water is a magic cure for dehydration, then I couldn't agree more.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 18, 2011, 05:41:12 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=198991

If you are talking about Daily Mail journalists in general, or marketing lawyers trying to establish a legal right to claim that bottled water is a magic cure for dehydration, then I couldn't agree more.

I think BFYP has a point, though. It is because the EU seeks to get involved in this kind of minutiae that it is seen as bureaucratic, meddling and wasteful. Maybe it should concentrate more on the macro- and less on the micro-.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 18, 2011, 10:13:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=198994

I think BFYP has a point, though. It is because the EU seeks to get involved in this kind of minutiae that it is seen as bureaucratic, meddling and wasteful. Maybe it should concentrate more on the macro- and less on the micro-.

TRB. I agree to some extent. But there's a requirement (in my opinion) to keep the worst excesses of the commercial world under control.

The particular EU regulation in question was set up to stop the smooth-talking t**ts who fleeced my father-in-law, by promising him that Vitamin C injection would cure his terminal lung cancer. The regulations were put in place to make it illegal to make fatuous or plain wrong health claims.

They do genuinely good work in requiring that all health claims are properly assessed, with legal sanctions for those who ignore the regulations. If some shyster lawyer then tries to get water formally approved as a cure for dehydration, so that they can use that in marketing bottled water, it is THEM who are f**king about with the system, not the Eurocrats.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 20, 2011, 06:14:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=198994

Read it again. They DID NOT seek to get involved, they were asked for a ruling about an existing piece of legislation. As for being bureaucratic, meddling and wasteful, presumably you think the Advertising Standards Authority is as well...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012