Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:54:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp  (Read 3436 times)

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
Billy Sharp
« on April 10, 2011, 10:30:06 am by WheatleyRover »
Will he still be here next season?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Billy Sharp
« Reply #1 on April 10, 2011, 10:38:52 am by mushRTID »
50/50 in my opinion.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 10, 2011, 10:47:56 am by nice one rovers »
If he's still poorly and carrying injuries, then yes he'll stay and make our staring eleven. If he's fit and raring to go, he'll follow the money and take off to the highest bidder come January.

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 10, 2011, 10:56:03 am by george-friend »
No

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 10, 2011, 10:58:21 am by graingrover »
If we are like the club he joined twelve months ago , positivity and ambition to progress emanating from Board room to Manager to fan base then he will stay unless a Premiership club comes in for him . If he feels we have lost our positivism and ambition then he is certainly too good to stay with a downbeat outfit

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 10, 2011, 11:02:38 am by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"WheatleyRover\" post=149702
Will he still be here next season?

No-one knows for sure, IMO if he hadn't got injured he would have easily cleared 20, maybe 25 goals this season. I know following his last brace that there was BIG interest coming from Ipswich. If there is any silver lining to his injury 'cloud' then it might just have put clubs off for another season.

If he is consistant for us then it is inevitable that he will eventually leave (at the end of the day it is a career is it not!), but for now, he chose us over other teams, he enjoys playing for us, he loves the respect that the fans give him and when he's hot, he loves playing the SOD football.

I'm not giving this issue much thought until the end of season, but rest assured IF he does leave, I'm sure (or hope) that it would lead to a hefty profit, and that the board would decide to reinvest their 'Sharpe' money and get several other positions filled.

... Guess we'll just have to watch this space.

:scarf:

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 10, 2011, 11:38:15 am by Padge_DRFC »
Billy Sharp will not go somewhere based on money. He would have joined Burnley in the summer otherwise.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 10, 2011, 12:17:06 pm by DonnyRTID »
I think Billy will stay, better to be a big fish in a little pond than a tadpole in a river!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 10, 2011, 12:44:13 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"DonnyRTID\" post=149718
I think Billy will stay, better to be a big fish in a little pond than a tadpole in a river!

Precisely, he tried his hand before and didn't get anywhere. I think he's learned from this and knows the best situation to be in. It's always better for a player to be highly thought after amongst fans than have them on your back for not scoring.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 10, 2011, 12:53:10 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"george-friend\" post=149707
No

On the evidence of your previous predictions, i`d say Billy is a dead cert to be here next season! ;)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 10, 2011, 02:41:32 pm by not on facebook »
if he does move from rovers it will be to someone localish i guess since by all
account he has just finished building his own house last year.

i for one think he will still be a rovers player start of next term.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 10, 2011, 05:53:12 pm by hoolahoop »
Of course he will stay and Jeez we need him, how many times yesterday did everyone think as I did that with Billy in the team we would have done Cardiff easily. There were so many occasions that I could see Billy exploiting the weaknesses in their defense.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 10, 2011, 06:26:11 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=149748
Of course he will stay and Jeez we need him, how many times yesterday did everyone think as I did that with Billy in the team we would have done Cardiff easily. There were so many occasions that I could see Billy exploiting the weaknesses in their defense.

i thought it every time oster crossed the ball, it seems billy is the only player we have who has cottoned on to the fact that he likes to put the ball up to the back post, haha. :lol:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 10, 2011, 06:38:06 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=149751
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=149748

i thought it every time oster crossed the ball, it seems billy is the only player we have who has cottoned on to the fact that he likes to put the ball up to the back post, haha. :lol:

The irony is the one ball that went to the front stick, no one was on

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 10, 2011, 09:19:17 pm by nice one rovers »
Quote from: \"oslorovers\" post=149740
if he does move from rovers it will be to someone localish i guess since by all
account he has just finished building his own house last year.

i for one think he will still be a rovers player start of next term.
So, is THAT how he's done his hernia and groin, messing about with bloody wheelbarrows?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 11, 2011, 08:19:34 am by Mr1Croft »
I think he will stay, after he won promotion with Scunthorpe, he chose to sign for a team challenging around the top of the championship (that season) and looked what happened, it has taken him this long to kick start his career. He's not stupid and I think that is why he signed for us in the summer, and probably why (unless the team is a top 12 prem team) I doubt he will leave.

Having said that he's no good injured and more injuries next season could well and proper b*llocks our season up if there isnt a shake up in the squad in the transfer window, we currently have a squad built around him, no good when he ain't init.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 11, 2011, 08:44:56 am by CusworthRovers »
He will stay.

The only club that you would think suits him would be Leeds. Proximity, size of club, likely Prem Team, this year or next etc etc...looking around they could potentially bid for him, certainly if they go up.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 11, 2011, 11:17:12 am by keyser_soze »
I think all this 'Billy will never sign for a big club ever again' is nonsense. He doesn't strike me as someone devoid of confidence in his own ability, and he'd have to be a real shrinking pansy to want to hide at Doncaster Rovers for the rest of his career rather than chance his arm elsewhere for fear of the goals drying up. Thats not to say he'll jump at the first move, he's proved money isn't the be-all and end-all when he rejected Burnley.

My gut feeling is that he'll go somewhere, for cash, before his contract runs out, so the directors recoup some of their 'investment'. I'd like to think he'd give us another go next season but would that put him in Bosman territory though?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 11, 2011, 12:14:46 pm by RobTheRover »
No, I think he signed a 3 year deal.

He isnt at the end of the first year.

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 11, 2011, 01:49:00 pm by donnygreenjeans »
It all depends on what league we will be in next season as to whether he stays or goes!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 11, 2011, 02:13:07 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"keyser_soze\" post=149788
I think all this 'Billy will never sign for a big club ever again' is nonsense. He doesn't strike me as someone devoid of confidence in his own ability, and he'd have to be a real shrinking pansy to want to hide at Doncaster Rovers for the rest of his career rather than chance his arm elsewhere for fear of the goals drying up. Thats not to say he'll jump at the first move, he's proved money isn't the be-all and end-all when he rejected Burnley.

My gut feeling is that he'll go somewhere, for cash, before his contract runs out, so the directors recoup some of their 'investment'. I'd like to think he'd give us another go next season but would that put him in Bosman territory though?

I don't think he will remain here to see his contract out, but I do think that he will not be moving anywhere this season, as previously said his injuries this season could be a blessing in disguise for us, there will always be talk of clubs bieng interested, but the fact that he rejected Burnley and signed for us tells the big teams that might come looking something. We all know he is worth £1.15 million, but will other clubs think that based on this season? Okay he was injured but I don't think manu clubs would value him at the price we paid (possibly around 800-900k).

His valuation is something we must also look at, John Ryan wants teams to pay out a very hefty compensation fee for Sean O'Driscol, and I imagine the same would apply to his million pound man, how much would a club have to bid before JR considers it acceptable? £2 million? £3 million? If the SOD figure is close to the million mark, I can't imagine the value he wants before considering to let Billy leave.

Whether he will leave or not after next season was not what was asked of the starting thread, but whether or not he will be here nexr season, to which I say he will be, at least up untill January...

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 11, 2011, 02:45:16 pm by keyser_soze »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=149798
No, I think he signed a 3 year deal.

He isnt at the end of the first year.

Yeah, I meant he'd see next season out, that would put him into the final year of his contract at the start of 20 and in Bosman territory, and probably go for less cash. I think that's the more likely scenario. Relegation/promotion permitting of course!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012