Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:17:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 3424 times)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
Alfie May
« on August 27, 2021, 08:47:20 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Watching the Burton vs Cheltenham game I always loved alfie at rovers and thought he was very underrated by most fans but he is everything we have been missing so far this season. Running at defenders, being a nuisance and getting into positions where he can cause damage and score goals.

Matty blair also having a great game and his versatility would be great for us aswell with the injuries we’ve got, he also hasn’t got any slower lol.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #1 on August 27, 2021, 08:52:47 pm by the vicar »
I looked Alfie he always gave us 100%as did Matty

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 27, 2021, 09:15:05 pm by eastender »
Matty Blair caught ball watching for the Burton equaliser.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 27, 2021, 09:17:31 pm by Surrey Rover »
Alfie May is a decent league two player.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 27, 2021, 09:23:02 pm by Campsall rover »
It is no good looking backwards. We need to look forwards.

They both gave 100% when with us but seriously the players RW has signed this season are of a much higher standard.

We move on. Good luck to them at Cheltenham and i hope they stay up this season.
I will back us to finish above them. 42 games to play. A great deal of ups and downs for all 24 teams to come.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 27, 2021, 09:38:39 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Matty blair awarded MOTM.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 27, 2021, 09:41:00 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

They both gave 100% when with us but seriously the players RW has signed this season are of a much higher standard.

We move on. Good luck to them at Cheltenham and i hope they stay up this season.
I will back us to finish above them. 42 games to play. A great deal of ups and downs for all 24 teams to come.
even tho I agree that we can’t look back, I do think that Alfie would get on our bench at the very least even when everyone is available.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 28, 2021, 07:55:16 am by sha66y »

Let’s hope those wise words don’t bite you in the ass!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 28, 2021, 08:39:40 am by Campsall rover »

Let%u2019s hope those wise words don%u2019t bite you in the ass!
How would that happen. I have just given my thoughts and if I am wrong then I am wrong. K S Ra, K S Ra
what will be will be.
I am very often wrong but nothing is going to stop me from being positive.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:42:35 am by Campsall rover »

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 28, 2021, 10:34:13 am by The Beast »
How long is this obsession with Alfie going to last ? He was never a league one player in a month of Sundays, he’s playing in league 2, good for him! Will never be prolific. He’d play for us today because we’ve got ten players out but he’s nowhere near Jon Taylor or Fej, not seen this Jordy kid. I’ve spoke to him a few times, cracking lad but hard to watch, so frustrating. Think we miss Blair more, model pro and versatile but then again not a player who’s going to push us on or have any future value, good luck to them both!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 28, 2021, 10:36:04 am by RoversAlias »
How long is this obsession with Alfie going to last ? He was never a league one player in a month of Sundays, he’s playing in league 2, good for him! Will never be prolific. He’d play for us today because we’ve got ten players out but he’s nowhere near Jon Taylor or Fej, not seen this Jordy kid. I’ve spoke to him a few times, cracking lad but hard to watch, so frustrating. Think we miss Blair more, model pro and versatile but then again not a player who’s going to push us on or have any future value, good luck to them both!

Alfie May plays in League One, and has scored more goals to date this season than the entire Rovers team.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 28, 2021, 10:45:28 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Alfie May is the new  "re-incarnated" Manderville   (yes CLH got suckered into believing he -  Mandervile -was better than he is "at the moment" like Selby)

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 28, 2021, 10:53:20 am by The Beast »

Alfie May plays in League One, and has scored more goals to date this season than the entire Rovers team.
My mistake, apologies, morphine still wearing off. We’ve had a terrible start but we will stay up, I very much doubt Cheltenham will. Still stick by Alfie is nowhere near the 3 players we’ve got injured.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 28, 2021, 10:56:43 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Everyone loves an Alfie. Done it the hard way, never forgets his roots and loves playing football.

Just one of those things where successive managers didn't see him and Blair as part of the clubs ambitions to progress.

There's always irony in football and who knows, in a parallel universe, if managers had called things another way, Alfie could be playing upfront with Max Watters today! That said, we could have sold Marquis and Whiteman earlier and be playing in League Two!

It's a funny old game!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 28, 2021, 12:29:48 pm by drfchound »

Alfie May is the new  "re-incarnated" Manderville   (yes CLH got suckered into believing he -  Mandervile -was better than he is "at the moment" like Selby)

The demon drink and a bad attitude put paid to Mandevilles progression.
Neither of those things apply to Alfie.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 28, 2021, 12:41:17 pm by The Beast »
Manderville had loads of ability, Alfie is just a grafter

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 28, 2021, 12:45:11 pm by drfchound »
Agreed that Mandeville had loads of ability but his mental state prevented him progressing.
Thats why he is in non league.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 28, 2021, 04:32:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Alfie may not get a regular starting place in some of the league one sides but he'd be one of the first on the team sheet for us at the moment.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 28, 2021, 07:11:36 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

My mistake, apologies, morphine still wearing off. We’ve had a terrible start but we will stay up, I very much doubt Cheltenham will. Still stick by Alfie is nowhere near the 3 players we’ve got injured.
He probs wouldnt start when Hiwula, taylor and Fej are all back to full fitness but he would still be a great impact player for us at least and from ive seen of him so far he would be better than Barlow.

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 28, 2021, 07:16:39 pm by hstripes »
Alfie May and Matty Blair may not have been superstars at Rovers but they were good, honest pros who could be relied upon to contribute to the team and put a shift in.

You need such players, alongside your star men, if you are going to have a successful team.

I couldn't argue specifically with the decision to release them (might have done for Blair if it wasn't for the fact he was injured most of his last season at Rovers) but they were never replaced with similar players/characters by Darren Moore.

Moore's record in the permanent transfer market was woeful as was his allowing so many solid League 1 players contracts to run out. Big part of the reason why the club is struggling right now.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 28, 2021, 07:22:41 pm by The Beast »

He probs wouldnt start when Hiwula, taylor and Fej are all back to full fitness but he would still be a great impact player for us at least and from ive seen of him so far he would be better than Barlow.
That’s the deal he’d play here when we’ve got an unprecedented injury crisis. You played Football Manager: Backup player here, first team/Rotation at Cheltenham. But yeah from what I’ve seen of Barlow and Gardner, they look a mile off!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 28, 2021, 09:48:44 pm by Draytonian III »
Alfie May and Matty Blair may not have been superstars at Rovers but they were good, honest pros who could be relied upon to contribute to the team and put a shift in.

You need such players, alongside your star men, if you are going to have a successful team.

I couldn't argue specifically with the decision to release them (might have done for Blair if it wasn't for the fact he was injured most of his last season at Rovers) but they were never replaced with similar players/characters by Darren Moore.

Moore's record in the permanent transfer market was woeful as was his allowing so many solid League 1 players contracts to run out. Big part of the reason why the club is struggling right now.

I totally agree with this, and this is why both these players will get good receptions when they return in October. Alfie May is a player that fans and I don’t just mean Rovers can relate to, turned pro at 23/24 after working in a full time job for 6 or 7 years. Matty Blair is one those lower league professionals that the English football league is based on , they all can’t be superstars on £100+ a week, and also the countless hours he put representing the club in community etc, and not just when he was with us.
 Both would be automatic picks for us at the moment, 110% effort every week

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 28, 2021, 10:10:47 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
A pair of great lads. Glad to see them doing well.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 28, 2021, 10:22:36 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

I totally agree with this, and this is why both these players will get good receptions when they return in October. Alfie May is a player that fans and I don’t just mean Rovers can relate to, turned pro at 23/24 after working in a full time job for 6 or 7 years. Matty Blair is one those lower league professionals that the English football league is based on , they all can’t be superstars on £100+ a week, and also the countless hours he put representing the club in community etc, and not just when he was with us.
 Both would be automatic picks for us at the moment, 110% effort every week

Agree on this.

Players like this are what makes a team. In December when we play every other day it’s freezing cold pissing it down and we’re down to the bare bones these players come to the fore. Not much flashy just big hearts and professional attitudes.

Moore chose to replace this kind of pro with a different type, often on loan, and we’re paying for it now. Not saying May or Blair should still be here but if we let them leave then replace them with similar characters.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 29, 2021, 09:40:53 am by ravenrover »
No mention of Andy Williams in all this

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 29, 2021, 09:46:55 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Problem with Williams was he was on really good money (signing as the divisions top scorer) and i don't think he lived up to that. Can't keep someone on that money as a squad player.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 30, 2021, 01:54:08 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I used to like Williams and he did score goals and do well with Marquis but he was on good money and just based on that game on Friday them 2 we’re both stand outs to me.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 30, 2021, 07:09:25 am by Chris Black come back »
Williams was with us for three seasons - 15/16, 16/17 and 17/18. One of these seasons was in League Two and the other were in League One.

His best season ironically was when Ferguson relegated us in 15/16. Williams scored 12 goals in 46 league games (41 starts).

It never reached those levels again. In 16/17 in League Two he scored 11 in 37 (25 starts) and 17/18 only played 9 games (3 starts).

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 30, 2021, 09:51:36 am by drfchound »
I used to like Williams and he did score goals and do well with Marquis but he was on good money and just based on that game on Friday them 2 we’re both stand outs to me.

I also rated AW.
He always gave his all and his scoring record was pretty decent in the modern game.
Some people ranted about him occasionally waving his arms about when things went wrong but I think it showed that he cared.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 30, 2021, 10:25:43 am by Bentley Bullet »
In the Belle Vue bar once I was calling Williams from a pig to a dog for his constant arm flapping and looking up to the sky after missing an opportunity when the man himself suddenly appeared next to us. I immediately nodded and smiled admiringly at him and wished him good luck for today's game.

I really am too nice sometimes!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012