Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:58:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Respect for older rovers supporters.  (Read 5043 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Respect for older rovers supporters.
« on April 14, 2018, 08:50:18 pm by normal rules »
Now I do not want to get into the stand or sit debate. I was at the game today and the first 5 or 10 mins was marred by an incredulous exchange between our own supporters. A group of elderly rovers, and I would have put one of them at eighty, asked three lads who were stood up in front of them, and impeding their view, if they would mind sitting down or moving. You of course know the rest.

It was unreserved seating today. The lads in question had a choice to go and stand with the standing contingent at the back, but no they chose to stand their ground ( until the stewards ushered them away) and argue the toss. Towards the end of the exchange the language from the younger lads to the older chaps became downright disgraceful.

They were a very small minority. I am pleased to report that the vast majority of rovers in that part of the stand were supportive of them sitting or moving.

I like nothing more than to stand at the game myself, but today in that part of the ground surrounded by older supporters I just thought there was an easy decision to make for those lads.

They chose the disrespectful option.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: Respect for older rovers supporters.
« Reply #1 on April 14, 2018, 08:54:21 pm by rich1471 »
Totally agree, but then the steward moved them all to the front then moved them all to the back of the ground the police were there but did not get involved and it was not pleasant at times, but it did settle down   

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 14, 2018, 08:57:04 pm by normal rules »
I thought there was some irony that they initially chose to go stand with the stone island brigade at the bottom of the stand, only for the stewards to follow them there and move them all on. The lot at the bottom did not seem to be bothering anyone prior to their arrival only. Bet they were pleased.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 14, 2018, 09:00:09 pm by Bessie Red »
They were very disrespectful and as you say Normal, all they had to do is move to the back where there was plenty of room, however booze can make some feel like ten men and ready to argue with anyone.
As an aside I thought it was quite funny how the "singers" were up & down the stand in those first ten minutes!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 14, 2018, 09:01:07 pm by drfchound »
Would the young supporters have spoken to their own grand parents with the same lack of respect?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2018, 09:09:47 pm by dknward2 »
Yes they probably would hound because some, not all have a complete lack of respect for anyone

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2018, 09:19:30 pm by RedJ »
You say all this, but I wasn't far away. Before the words came back from the younger lads, one of the older folk told him to step outside so he could "sort him out" and called him a d**khead and all sorts. Respect works both ways. It was selfish of the way they just decided to stand right in the middle of the block but you can't tell someone you want to fight them then not expect to get verbals back.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 14, 2018, 09:20:20 pm by Copps is Magic »
Lack of common sense by both parties. Singers decided to go and stand at the front, and plenty of older people sitting decided to plonk themselves at the back. This in an away end with copious amounts of space everywhere. It's like some of these people have never been to a football game before.

What followed was a bit unsavory but to put it all on the young lads would be wrong because I turned to see what the fuss was about and saw a couple of usual suspects, getting involved even though they were miles away, who I've had problems at games with in the past - and they are not interested in talking calmly to get a sensible solution.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2018, 09:23:10 pm by selby »
  They were made to look fools, looked around thinking they were 10 ton, but then realising they were always going to lose the battle.
  That's when the language started, because they realised people were laughing at them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2018, 09:28:43 pm by RedJ »
Couldn't see anyone laughing from where I sat...

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2018, 09:31:50 pm by Alickismyhero »
I didn't witness the bad behaviour but I did see the movement of the boys to the back of the stand.

If that was the singing section what was funny was the chanting when they arrived at the back, just behind me. You could tell that they were having trouble with their voices, they sounded like their voices were just beginning to break because it came across as croaking and not the masculine chant you would expect.

Boys you should respect your elders as they kept the club going in the bad years so you can support them now.

You will be old one day and take it from me it won't be long.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2018, 09:33:18 pm by roversontheup »
I wasn’t there so can’t comment on today but it does sicken me that there is such a lack of respect for each other amongst some of our fans.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2018, 09:36:30 pm by hamiltonrover »
I was sat near the back when they came up and decided to sit/stand where they liked, regardless of who was already sat there. A few rovers fans moved away, but why should they, one neanderthal then started to try and pick a fight with a woman and her partner who were with their child who was probably 5 or 6. Its utterly embarrassing.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2018, 09:42:19 pm by Scooter »
I was sat near the back with my two young boys. The group came up just behind me and crammed themselves into the smallest area. They were disrespectful to an elderly couple and I saw the guy you were on about Hamilton.
A couple of them sat in front of me and they were ok but the guy looking for an argument kept turning and shouting to his mates and almost burst my ear drum. I moved my lads not because I felt threatened but because I couldn’t concentrate on the match because they were ruining my experience

It’s no drama for me moving as there was loads of space but this seems to happen every away game

Do other clubs have this issue or is it just us?

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2018, 10:19:54 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Had a similar experience last season at Mansfield.
Was sat near the back and three lads in the row in front remained standing as the game kicked off, I stood up, as they were blocking my view but then I was conscious of the fact I was blocking the view of an elderly gent sat behind me. I politely asked if they'd sit, not for me for the old boy, but he completely ignored me. The old boy then had to stand himself and after 90 minutes was in quite a bit of discomfort as he had a dodgy knee.

Apart from losing this is the one thing that I hate about going to away games.
I don't think it's just Rovers fans either, sadly I think it's a generation thing where young lads will insist on being arseholes.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2018, 10:21:37 pm by RedJ »
So I suppose it's acceptable to call someone a d**khead and offer them outside if you're above a certain age then?

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2018, 10:25:56 pm by rtid88 »
Seems to be a recurring occurrence with our fans this year. I used to enjoy travelling to away games. Always used to be plenty of banter but these days it mostly seems to be a bunch of young idiots that have no real interest in the football and go to just generally make a nuisance of themselves. Really put me off and I certainly wouldn't ever think about going with my Dad or my kids anymore.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 14, 2018, 10:34:42 pm by LincsRover »
Happens at nearly every away game, especially the local ones - pisses me right off as my mum can’t stand for a whole game due to osteoporosis & a fragile spine but these morons stand wherever they want, whoever they are blocking, with no thought for anyone else! Just how intelligent do you need to be to stand near the back if you want to, not halfway down; or as was the case at Rotherham, at the front. If these pr*cks knew the meaning of, or even how to spell, respect they just wouldn’t do it - but it’s just too much to ask. On the verge of sticking to home games next season, which is a real shame as we both love going to away games.

:police:

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 14, 2018, 10:51:17 pm by Jimmydee »
I was sat on the back row before as the game started and I saw the older guy asking the stewards to do their job and move the standing youths. However, I don’t think that the standing youths were actually blocking his view of the game at all, unless he was requesting the stewards on behalf of those that might have the obstructed view.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 14, 2018, 11:09:34 pm by RedJ »
I doubt they were blocking that guy's view at all, he just waded in for no reason.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 15, 2018, 03:29:29 am by scawsby steve »
Lack of common sense by both parties. Singers decided to go and stand at the front, and plenty of older people sitting decided to plonk themselves at the back. This in an away end with copious amounts of space everywhere. It's like some of these people have never been to a football game before.

What followed was a bit unsavory but to put it all on the young lads would be wrong because I turned to see what the fuss was about and saw a couple of usual suspects, getting involved even though they were miles away, who I've had problems at games with in the past - and they are not interested in talking calmly to get a sensible solution.

Are you back from Portugal now, Copps? Your presence at the Keepmoat has been greatly missed.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 15, 2018, 07:54:29 am by Padge_DRFC »
Didn’t go today but how far up were these lads. I went to the Tuesday night game when we got hammered the season we went up. Same issue however a group of elderly people opted to sit all across the back row and then expect everyone to sit.
Not to sure why it’s a massive issue we never sell out apart from Scunny and Rotherham games

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 15, 2018, 09:29:15 am by RedJ »
They were about half way down, quite far away from the back in fairness. But the language from both sides was appalling, so it's a bit unfair to pin this entirely on the younger lads.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 15, 2018, 09:47:45 am by andysly »
Every week the same thing.
Stand at back sit in front. What’s difficult about.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 15, 2018, 10:01:20 am by deebee »
I was there and this bunch of lads only got abuse from one older guy as retaliation as they were reluctant to budge and were giving it some verbal. They were only 5 rows back from the front and about 20 seats wide, some weren't even watching the match but had their back to the pitch goading others at the back. It was also noticeable some were the worse for the drink, Is it also just coincidence that not one of them had a single bit of Rovers colour on them.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 15, 2018, 10:13:45 am by selby »
RJ you seem very sympathetic to a couple of Knobheads who have absolutely no thought for anyone else watching a football game.
   Halfway down the stand means you are going to obstruct someones view, and a total disrespect for other people, and then you want them to be treated with kid gloves, when they are nothing but bullies themselves.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 15, 2018, 10:17:32 am by andysly »
The lads who went to front were late into the seats because they’d been in bar till kick off. Maybe they should plan ahead. Put some jumpers on seats or something to stake their spot.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 15, 2018, 10:46:17 am by Donnywolf »
Every week the same thing.
Stand at back sit in front. What’s difficult about.

When you put it like that - nothing difficult about it at all

Dont know if the SLO's travel away but it seems like a job for someone like them - with tact - to try to explain that to all perties and to liaise with both sets of "protagonists" ***

It would be a leap though as I have often found my Designated Seat already taken (Rotherham) and despite the formal arrangements made for the Arsenal game which designated the Standing Area(s) people in the Seated bit ignoring the "agreement" and simply Standing no matter how politely they were asked

*** There are of course a majority of Fans that do not use this or other Forums and simply dont know of any arrangement and they just need it explained it them
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:48:36 am by Donnywolf »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 15, 2018, 11:04:17 am by RedJ »
RJ you seem very sympathetic to a couple of Knobheads who have absolutely no thought for anyone else watching a football game.
   Halfway down the stand means you are going to obstruct someones view, and a total disrespect for other people, and then you want them to be treated with kid gloves, when they are nothing but bullies themselves.

I'm not sympathetic to them. I just don't think it's fair to pin it all on them.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 15, 2018, 11:05:51 am by Copps is Magic »
I was there and this bunch of lads only got abuse from one older guy as retaliation as they were reluctant to budge and were giving it some verbal. They were only 5 rows back from the front and about 20 seats wide, some weren't even watching the match but had their back to the pitch goading others at the back. It was also noticeable some were the worse for the drink, Is it also just coincidence that not one of them had a single bit of Rovers colour on them.

There were two incidents, you're talking about one, and I think most are talking about another further up.

I know the 'older' lads in this case and they are not the regular sit down and moan brigade. They often stand at away games and are sound rovers supporters. They asked the group in front of them to move a bit and got a gobfull of abuse back. Well within their rights. The group stood right at the front are genuine wallies most of them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012