Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:29:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Respect  (Read 3946 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Respect
« on November 03, 2019, 07:08:52 pm by roversdude »
Just a quick comment to congratulate both sets of supporters for the respect shown during armistice commemoration yesterday

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Respect
« Reply #1 on November 03, 2019, 07:16:00 pm by Branton Rover »
I’m afraid it’s a sad state of affairs that we have to post a thank you on how to conduct ourselves when showing respect and gratitude to the fallen.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 03, 2019, 07:26:45 pm by RoversAlias »
It was a bit of a shambles at Chorley last year so I was relieved and glad it was so impeccably observed yesterday.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 03, 2019, 08:07:49 pm by bpoolrover »
It was just a misunderstanding thou at Chorley some thought was minutes applause some silence, agree a shambles thou

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 03, 2019, 08:21:12 pm by niteowler »
I think it was carried out impeccably by the club and both sets of supporters, not forgetting the British Legion. You could have heard a pin drop. It certainly brought a tear to my eyes. I think its occasions like yesterday that the club does really well. Well done to all concerned.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 03, 2019, 09:24:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's always carried out impeccably unless there's a mistake in the organisation. Branton: you're taking on a non-existent enemy here.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 05, 2019, 06:04:48 pm by 5 on Tour »
I’m afraid it’s a sad state of affairs that we have to post a thank you on how to conduct ourselves when showing respect and gratitude to the fallen.

Pretty sad state of affairs that you felt the need to post that.

Well done Rovers, Burton and all involved.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 06, 2019, 12:23:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Nobody has to thank - or in this case, congratulate - anyone.

But it is common courtesy to do so.

It's a sad state of affairs when common courtesy needs to be explained to someone.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 06, 2019, 02:41:51 pm by Axholme Lion »
Stoke fans were a disgrace during the minutes silence for our war dead a couple of weeks ago. But then this is the club who pays James McLean a wage.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 06, 2019, 03:32:11 pm by roversam »
I noticed Mclean was the only Stoke player without a poppey on his shirt whats his problem ffs

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 06, 2019, 03:48:10 pm by IDM »
He doesn’t agree with it, and that is his prerogative whether we like it or not.

We remember those who have fallen to enable us to have the freedom to choose our own beliefs etc, even those who choose unpopular ones.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 06, 2019, 03:55:30 pm by Axholme Lion »
I noticed Mclean was the only Stoke player without a poppey on his shirt whats his problem ffs

He is a self proclaimed supporter of the IRA and their works but at the same time is happy to accept British pound notes every week.
I am proud to say he got his just desserts in abuse at the Den.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 06, 2019, 04:00:01 pm by roversam »
I dislike the prick even more now, thanks for the info.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 06, 2019, 04:40:16 pm by pib »
It was just a misunderstanding thou at Chorley some thought was minutes applause some silence, agree a shambles thou

I didn't see it as a misunderstanding. The Chorley fans at the other end weren't applauding, they were singing and chanting through it which is very different.

He is a self proclaimed supporter of the IRA and their works but at the same time is happy to accept British pound notes every week.

Nothing to do with him being from the same place as 6 of the unarmed protesters who were shot by the British army on Bloody Sunday?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 06, 2019, 04:52:19 pm by Axholme Lion »

I didn't see it as a misunderstanding. The Chorley fans at the other end weren't applauding, they were singing and chanting through it which is very different.

Nothing to do with him being from the same place as 6 of the unarmed protesters who were shot by the British army on Bloody Sunday?

I'll tell that to my cousin who was shot through the neck by an IRA sniper hiding behind civilians.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 06, 2019, 05:02:49 pm by pib »

I'll tell that to my cousin who was shot through the neck by an IRA sniper hiding behind civilians.

I'm sorry to hear that. Violence shouldn't have any place which ever side of the fence you're on.

I don't think it changes that your post about James McClean was, in my view at least, very one-sided. Just as you wouldn't wear a symbol representing a group that perpetrated violence on your family or community, I'm not sure why people expect McClean to.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 06, 2019, 06:32:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

He could be being paid in Euros for all you know.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 06, 2019, 06:54:14 pm by bpoolrover »

half of our fans started clapping during the minutes silence and there fans were chanting I’m not sure they even heard the whistle go I doubt very much it was intentional

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 06, 2019, 09:33:23 pm by 5 on Tour »
Not sure who any of us are to be judging McLean. If he doesn’t wear a poppy because of his own personal beliefs then that’s his choice. He’s even stated why and that if it represented only people who died during the world wars he would be wearing one.

Unless people are now saying his view doesn’t count because you don’t like it?

I personally don’t agree with the LGBT poppy that’s appeared recently. Not going to tell someone who wears it that they are wrong though as it’s that persons choice.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 06, 2019, 10:05:24 pm by Draytonian III »
His brother plays for Glentoran, their game this weekend will not have a minutes silence, they are away to Institute

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 06, 2019, 10:36:49 pm by BobG »
As nationalism, and it's sidekick, war, are two of the very biggest curses the world has ever seen, should we repeatedly imply we support those curses?

I know. I know. But there isn't half some sanctimonious b*llocks spouted about war dead.

Cheers

BobG

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 06, 2019, 10:51:13 pm by IDM »
It’s only my own viewpoint, but the remembrance thing for me isn’t necessarily about honouring those who died in service.

It’s about the suffering and loss that their families experienced, it’s about young children growing up never knowing their father..

And that goes for everyone, on all “sides”..

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 07, 2019, 01:04:23 am by bpoolrover »
Not sure who any of us are to be judging McLean. If he doesn’t wear a poppy because of his own personal beliefs then that’s his choice. He’s even stated why and that if it represented only people who died during the world wars he would be wearing one.

Unless people are now saying his view doesn’t count because you don’t like it?

I personally don’t agree with the LGBT poppy that’s appeared recently. Not going to tell someone who wears it that they are wrong though as it’s that persons choice. That lbgt poppy is not real as such it was said the lgbt community would never dream of having a rainbow coloured poppy and someone made it to create issues

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 07, 2019, 01:23:40 am by BobG »
I like that IDM. A lot. It's a far better attitude to have than the unthinking, maudling, glorification of 'deaths' with neither context nor appreciation. It's unpopular, but I really do loathe that sort of attitude to poppies, silences and whatever else we aare all expected to bend the knee for.

BobG

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 07, 2019, 09:38:14 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I like that IDM. A lot. It's a far better attitude to have than the unthinking, maudling, glorification of 'deaths' with neither context nor appreciation. It's unpopular, but I really do loathe that sort of attitude to poppies, silences and whatever else we aare all expected to bend the knee for.

BobG

I've increasingly had the impression over the last ten years or so that once the flag of England had been reclaimed from the Far Right, they instead latched themselves onto Remembrance Day and stirred up Poppy Nazism (ie attacking those who don't think like them instead of leaving everybody to remember in their own way of quiet reflection) as a way of worming themselves into the consciousness of the unwary.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 07, 2019, 09:56:34 am by selby »
 Glyn, if you think that people showing respect to Remembrance day and what it stands for think to the far right, go and have a lye  down, you are thinking too much.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 07, 2019, 10:12:05 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Glyn, if you think that people showing respect to Remembrance day and what it stands for think to the far right, go and have a lye  down, you are thinking too much.

Read what I wrote and understand what it says, not what you want it to say, berk. If you really think I said what you say I did, you must be one of those unwary I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:17:13 am by Glyn_Wigley »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 07, 2019, 12:11:12 pm by IDM »

BobG

I still think it is appropriate to honour the memory of those who lost their lives in service, including police, firefighters etc.

That doesn’t mean war could or should be glorified.  We are not remembering the politics or politicians that sent our men and women to fight and die.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 07, 2019, 12:49:35 pm by Pancho Regan »

BobG

I still think it is appropriate to honour the memory of those who lost their lives in service, including police, firefighters etc.

That doesn’t mean war could or should be glorified.  We are not remembering the politics or politicians that sent our men and women to fight and die.

You beat me to it IDM, I was going to post almost the identical comments.

I agree with you 100%.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 07, 2019, 01:39:36 pm by Beerseller »

BobG

If there is thought in this modern world of a glorious notion to war then perhaps that reflects on our distance from wars which took many thousands of lives known to us.

There are few people left who are able to remember the world wars in which almost everyone was affected by the loss of a close friend or family member. Those affected did not, as I recall, think anything of glory but instead mourned the loss of a future, the loss of an opportunity to grow old. I share that sense of mourning.

I do feel that a large element of our modern remembrance is to show we care rather than the act of caring itself. Much of modern life has similar traits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TinyPortal © 2005-2012