Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:45:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 2 bad decisions by Flynn cost us the win  (Read 8139 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
2 bad decisions by Flynn cost us the win
« on March 16, 2013, 05:19:46 pm by Filo »
1. taking Copps off
2. failing to replace Lundstram quick enough when he got injured

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
Re: 2 bad decisions by Flynn cost us the win
« Reply #1 on March 16, 2013, 05:21:43 pm by donnievic »
Just the one for me and that was copps going off,not sure if he had took a knock but never looked like winning when he went off

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 16, 2013, 05:23:07 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
I'm convinced, for some explicable reason, the decision to sub Copps was a tactical one to defend what we had.

Funnily enough following that sub we spent then next 20 mins defending deeper and deeper.

As far as Im concerned Flynn is totally culpable for unfathomable tactical choices today.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 16, 2013, 05:23:17 pm by RoversAlias »
I disagree to be honest, Copps wasn't exactly having a stormer as it isn't his position. Furman was alright and I don't think the change was the reason we crumbled.

As for Lundstram, yes in hindsight he should've gone off straight away but ultimately only the player himself can judge whether he feels he's well enough to continue. I hope he's alright after a few days recovery as we need him fit for next weekend.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 16, 2013, 05:26:24 pm by Filo »
The midfield fell apart after Copps went off, shortly after that Lundstram got injured and we carried him for 10 minutes during that period they scored

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 16, 2013, 05:29:25 pm by RoversAlias »
The midfield probably fell apart beecause Lundstram was a passenger. I don't think Copps was the glue holding it together but I guess you could look at it that way.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 16, 2013, 05:33:22 pm by mushRTID »
Agree on the 2 bad decisions completely. He put Hume on 10-15 minutes too late.

I'd be surprised if even anybody argues otherwise.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 16, 2013, 05:35:09 pm by MiKA »
I disagree to be honest, Copps wasn't exactly having a stormer as it isn't his position. Furman was alright and I don't think the change was the reason we crumbled.

As for Lundstram, yes in hindsight he should've gone off straight away but ultimately only the player himself can judge whether he feels he's well enough to continue. I hope he's alright after a few days recovery as we need him fit for next weekend.

From where I was sitting Copps was having a great game, why the hell did Fynn not take off Lundstram when bringing on the new lad, he's a defending midfielder so why exchange him for our attacking midfielder, that was a terrible mistake.

Also, 10 minutes before Pompey scored we they were pressing hard, had Hume been brought on then things could very well of been different.

These bad substitutions remind me of SOD.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 16, 2013, 05:49:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We had two target men up front who weren't going to come back, so Copps was doing the link up job, so as soon as he went off that was gone and we were allowing Pompey to come at us, which due to some poor marking allowed them to score. Furman did well though when he came on, just he shouldn't have come on for Coppinger. When Paynter came off and Hume came on we did manage to get some link up play going again seeing as Hume is a deeper forward.

If we knew Lundstram was going to injure himself then Furman for Lundstram would have been a good substitution and we would have won.

pubteam

« Reply #9 on March 16, 2013, 05:51:18 pm by pubteam »
I'm still to be convinced by Flynn. We seem to be too inconsistent under him.

And why has he changed the set plays? Every single one seems to go to the far post and it's not working. Get Cotterill swinging them into the goal mouth again so they stand a chance of going straight in.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 16, 2013, 05:51:25 pm by MachoMadness »
Got to agree. Things turned to shit almost the second Copps went off, quite remarkable really. I think Flynn was too keen to give Furman a decent run out on his debut, and put that before the good of the team. Very poor decision.

Spankster

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 16, 2013, 05:53:43 pm by Spankster »
Agree on the 2 bad decisions completely. He put Hume on 10-15 minutes too late.

I'd be surprised if even anybody argues otherwise.

Exactly right, we were on the ropes, needed a change, Hume & Griffin get ready to come on, then they sit back down, 5 mins later we concede, it was bloody obvious that was going to happen, he then made the changes and we looked much better. Not happy as it was so clear to see  :headbang:

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 16, 2013, 06:12:16 pm by MiKA »
This wasn't just insight talking either, everyone around me was question taking Copps off as he was running the midfield and linking up play to the 2 big lads up front.  Also Hume was an obvious choice as Pompey gave us space at the back.

Flynn lost us 2 points today pure and simple

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 16, 2013, 06:15:52 pm by RedJ »
Hume for me was on 10 minutes too late.

Anyone know why we went with Woods today?

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 16, 2013, 06:16:12 pm by goalkick »
Poor side Portsmouth.our tactics today seemed to be adrift.not impressed with flynns substitutions.griffin and Hume should have been brought on at the time of the injury, can't understand why there was a change of mind? Proved was wrong decision.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 16, 2013, 06:18:17 pm by MiKA »

Because he's our best keeper.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 16, 2013, 06:18:32 pm by RedJ »

If you say so.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 16, 2013, 06:20:23 pm by MiKA »
Top of the league says so.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 16, 2013, 06:21:11 pm by RobTheRover »
If we knew Lundstram was going to injure himself then Furman for Lundstram would have been a good substitution and we would have won.

Exactly right,  but the old crystal ball must have been on the fritz.

I understand why Flynn thought it was important to get Furman on,  to bond with his team mates and meet the fans,  but I just thought he did it a bit too early. We needed to make the game safe first  and, as it turned out, it was far from that.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 16, 2013, 06:21:27 pm by MachoMadness »

That's your wrong opinion and you're entitled to it. ;)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 16, 2013, 06:24:05 pm by RedJ »

Exactly right,  but the old crystal ball must have been on the fritz.

I understand why Flynn thought it was important to get Furman on,  to bond with his team mates and meet the fans,  but I just thought he did it a bit too early. We needed to make the game safe first  and, as it turned out, it was far from that.

Nearly scored a cracking debut goal like :laugh:

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 16, 2013, 06:38:12 pm by Lesonthewest »
The writing was on the wall from around 50 minutes or so, they were showing some fight & we couldn't string 2 passes together nor match their workrate. Hume should have been brough on far earlier to take the game back to them, but we ambled along, made the wrong subs at wrong times, & paid the penalty. Yet another opportunity to put pressure on sides below us blown, we really are our own worst enemies.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 16, 2013, 06:40:04 pm by RobTheRover »
Yes,  their keeper made a great save. He had a big say in the match,  seeing as he is now the newly appointed Timewaster Laureate.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 16, 2013, 06:54:13 pm by RoversAlias »
Top of the league says so.

That isn't really how it works. I'm not getting into the Woods debate again but by this logic all of our players are the best in their position in the division? I don't believe that is reasonable at all.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 16, 2013, 07:10:55 pm by bedale rover »
I thought that the rot was there from the start
Paynter and brown don't seem to work well and yet again we saw barn door billy rather than ballon d'or billy
Just cos we won last week with this team doesn't mean we can't change it

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 16, 2013, 07:16:48 pm by Al4475 »
Billy and Browny are great players (at this level) IMO - both have bags of great stuff about them - I just don't think we need 'em both in the same team - for me (when fit) we need Humey and one of Brown/Billy up top.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 16, 2013, 07:25:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Didn't like the Copps decision either. No problem putting Furman on but Flynn should have reshuffled. Copps is one of the few players who can hold the ball up, especially on that pitch, which is invaluable when we're trying to keep possession.

Even taking the subs in to account, it was still a poor performance with poor decision making and pass execution at times. Some players not taking enough responsibility to take the game to them. We should not be showing any fear or trepidation at this stage of the season. Should be going out there and at least try to show that we are worthy of top spot!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 16, 2013, 07:35:22 pm by hoolahoop »
The writing was on the wall from around 50 minutes or so, they were showing some fight & we couldn't string 2 passes together nor match their workrate. Hume should have been brough on far earlier to take the game back to them, but we ambled along, made the wrong subs at wrong times, & paid the penalty. Yet another opportunity to put pressure on sides below us blown, we really are our own worst enemies.

I couldn't agree more, what happened during the half time talk is anyone's guess but ithe subject of ripping them apart (if raised ?) was completely lost on the players.
That Pompey team should have been thrashed out of sight today, opportunities 'lost' like that could prove very costly in a few weeks time.
I'm fuming............. :mad:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 16, 2013, 07:46:44 pm by idler »
I was saying today that of all of the Rovers promotion sides I have seen this is the most low key one.
We rarely cane any side at home.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 16, 2013, 07:55:54 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
"2 bad decisions by Flynn cost us the win." Really? Blimey, that's a first if true. It makes a change from blaming the usual soft target, i.e. the referee.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:02:00 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012