Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:55:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Flynn, not for me  (Read 4361 times)

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
Flynn, not for me
« on March 17, 2013, 09:05:29 am by Sod This For a Laugh »
Can't say I was impressed with this appointment in the first place but did seem to understand the reasons. After a fair number of games I now find a lot of his decisions a little baffling. In some games when we have got to half time I have hoped to see a positive change from the managers team talk, but alas  at best the team remain the same or even worse.

I know this is not the right time to change the manager but whatever happens I hope there is a change in the summer

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
Re: Flynn, not for me
« Reply #1 on March 17, 2013, 09:29:36 am by drfcsteve »
I think the appointment was absolutely right at the time, the team could practically manage itself especially with Jones in there and there was no reason to upset things. However I think people might have expected performances to be a bit more convincing looking at the players we've got and the standard of the opposition. I would agree that should we go up we look elsewhere and let Flynn get back to doing what he does best in scouting out top players.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 17, 2013, 09:41:12 am by aidanstu »
I think this thread is a tad irrational. Firstly if your going to blame Flynn for the draw yesterday, and presumably bringing cops off?, you also have to give him credit for the tactics he employed up until this point and the facts we murdered poppy throughout the game and limited them to one serious shot on target. It was clear to see he took cops off in order to put a ball winner in midfield to try and ensure we defended the lead. Ok it didn't work but the logic was right and Furman played well when he came on.

Calling on Flynn' s reign not to be carried on is bizarre. We are playing much better footie at home then we ever did under Saunders and are clear at the top of the league.why would we change he manager?

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 17, 2013, 10:08:29 am by Sod This For a Laugh »
I think this thread is a tad irrational. Firstly if your going to blame Flynn for the draw yesterday, and presumably bringing cops off?, you also have to give him credit for the tactics he employed up until this point and the facts we murdered poppy throughout the game and limited them to one serious shot on target. It was clear to see he took cops off in order to put a ball winner in midfield to try and ensure we defended the lead. Ok it didn't work but the logic was right and Furman played well when he came on.

Calling on Flynn' s reign not to be carried on is bizarre. We are playing much better footie at home then we ever did under Saunders and are clear at the top of the league.why would we change he manager?
Was not really talking about a single game but has Flynns  full time in charge.
Talking to a lot of non Rovers supporting fans they seemed to think we missed a trick in not appointing a proven manager at this level or above. They actually saw this route the gamble and not the alternative. Who knows we could have got the best manager on paper and then lost every game

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 17, 2013, 10:18:55 am by GazLaz »
We are twice the side since BF took over. We were awful to watch under Saunders. There were plenty of positive signs in the first half yesterday. We are improving as a side. That's another game gone and we are still top.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 17, 2013, 10:59:43 am by The Red Baron »
We are twice the side since BF took over. We were awful to watch under Saunders. There were plenty of positive signs in the first half yesterday. We are improving as a side. That's another game gone and we are still top.

To me, it was for the most part the same laboured, predictable football that we played under Saunders. I think we're basically the same side that played under Saunders- compact, resilient and hard to break down, but lacking in flair and pace. I think Saunders was better at spotting problems and correcting them- fine-tuning the engine if you like- than Flynn is.

This is a poor, poor league lacking in quality. If any team had it, they'd now be further ahead at the top than Man United are in the Premier.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 17, 2013, 02:14:40 pm by RoversAlias »

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. We are not 'twice the side' since Flynn came in at all. Our trademark resilience that we had developed this season seems to be disappearing and our attacking intent seems to have lessened too. More for me the problem with Flynn lies in his decision making.

I said at the time that I would reserve judgement on this appointment until the summer as my concerns probably couldn't come to fruition until then and I remain in that stance. I think Flynn was a decent shout to take us through to the end of the season but I do not want him to still be in the manager's chair come August.

vikingwill

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 17, 2013, 02:25:17 pm by vikingwill »
Although I am thankful to Brian for serving the club, part of me is hoping that behind the scenes JR may be trying to convince someone like Nigel Adkins to come to us over the summer

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 17, 2013, 02:27:13 pm by RoversAlias »
If Adkins comes here in the summer then he will be settling big time. He is worth another job at the top end of the Championship or even in the Premier League.

I would be absolutely delighted if we did get him though!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 17, 2013, 02:33:37 pm by River Don »
If Adkins comes here in the summer then he will be settling big time. He is worth another job at the top end of the Championship or even in the Premier League.

Adkins is going to Leeds isn't he?

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 17, 2013, 02:35:46 pm by drfcbenny625 »
One of my mate's dad is a Youth coach at the rovers. He was saying yesterday that in the first training session Flynn looked like he had no idea and the players were mucking about. He said that he doesn't expect him to be here next season even if we go up as champions. He also said he expects Middleton to break into the first team next season, so if he does you heard it here first.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 17, 2013, 02:39:23 pm by River Don »
One of my mate's dad is a Youth coach at the rovers. He was saying yesterday that in the first training session Flynn looked like he had no idea and the players were mucking about. He said that he doesn't expect him to be here next season even if we go up as champions. He also said he expects Middleton to break into the first team next season, so if he does you heard it here first.

I'm thinking we should not mind Flynn being here... As a coach or a scout.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 17, 2013, 02:43:02 pm by Chris »
Are we going to have these threads every time we drop points?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 17, 2013, 02:44:50 pm by RedJ »
Wilson out!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 17, 2013, 02:45:52 pm by River Don »

Probably. It is getting quite frequent isn't it?

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 17, 2013, 03:01:17 pm by Chris »

Probably. It is getting quite frequent isn't it?

It's the nature of League One this season. We're not the only team towards the top of the table who has games such as ours vs. Pompey & MK Dons. It's what is making this league so fascinating to watch (as well as very nerve-racking!).

pubteam

« Reply #16 on March 17, 2013, 03:01:22 pm by pubteam »
It's no different to those who used to question Saunders every time we dropped points under him.  :whistle:

margill

« Reply #17 on March 17, 2013, 03:06:47 pm by margill »

I do hope that we don't go for Adkins he is so arrogant and up his own backside,

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 17, 2013, 03:24:19 pm by wilts rover »

I do hope that we don't go for Adkins he is so arrogant and up his own backside,

I guess that rules out Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Moyes, Rednapp and nearly every other top class manager then. Roy Hodgson will be OK tho.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 17, 2013, 03:36:59 pm by benaldo »
I think Flynn has a place at DRFC - that of scout. If the truth is (as rumoured) he had a hand in Cotterill, Jones, McCombe, Syers coming to the club then he knows his players. What I think we all are beginning to see is that he's a nice guy, popular around the club, nice persona, genuine bloke, but he's perhaps left wanting when it comes to matchday.

Saunders was sometimes accused of the similar shortgivings during his tenure, but I can't honestly say I thought he was anything less than astute - when he finally got the team together he wanted.

The selection of Coppinger in central midfield was daft. Not subbing Lundstrum when he'd turned his ankle was daft. Taking off Coppinger instead of Paynter or Brown was daft (Coppinger should have been moved up front). But, like always, it's easy to judge things in the comfort of my padded seat and with a mouthful of prawn sarnie. I don't know the backroom problems of each player.

For all that, I still wish Saunders was here though.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 17, 2013, 03:39:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Although I am thankful to Brian for serving the club, part of me is hoping that behind the scenes JR may be trying to convince someone like Nigel Adkins to come to us over the summer

I wouldn't mind Brian McDermott, but I think we'd have a better chance of enticing him if we won promotion first...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 17, 2013, 03:40:42 pm by The Red Baron »
I'd like Flynn to stay as Cheif Scout or Director of Football. But we need a new manager after this season is done with.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 17, 2013, 03:46:04 pm by River Don »
I'd like Flynn to stay as Cheif Scout or Director of Football. But we need a new manager after this season is done with.

+1

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 17, 2013, 04:27:52 pm by donnievic »
middleton has already broke into the 1st team,played at Crewe

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 17, 2013, 06:29:41 pm by drfcsteve »
Both Adkins and McDermott would be well out of our league! I would be over the moon if we got either of them but don't see it happening.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 18, 2013, 11:13:38 am by bedale rover »
Based on nothing more than mischief making
How about Flynn to director of football
And Nigel Atkins to take over as head coach

Dream team?  :rtid:

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 18, 2013, 11:19:01 am by Wade Falana »
If Atkins went to Leeds would you mind Neil Warnock at DRFC?

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 18, 2013, 11:22:39 am by roversam »
Colin w**ker no thanks.  :thumbdown:

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 18, 2013, 01:03:04 pm by scuzzer »

To me, it was for the most part the same laboured, predictable football that we played under Saunders. I think we're basically the same side that played under Saunders- compact, resilient and hard to break down, but lacking in flair and pace. I think Saunders was better at spotting problems and correcting them- fine-tuning the engine if you like- than Flynn is.

This is a poor, poor league lacking in quality. If any team had it, they'd now be further ahead at the top than Man United are in the Premier.

Could not agree more on all fronts! The league is piss poor and any half decent side with a bit of consistency would be targetting the 100 point mark now.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 18, 2013, 01:25:43 pm by Mr1Croft »
Tbh under Saunders we couldnt play at home, the Sheffield United game aside we struggled against every side who came to the KMS, even against Scunthorpe we seemed to score with every shot we had. Away from home we were however nothing short of brilliant. We looked tough, resilient and very hard to break down.

It seems under Flynn that he is trying to put his stamp on the team by trying to get the ball down and play it, some games it has worked (Leyton Orient, Hartlepool) some games we have played well enough for a point and on anothet day could have got all three (Bury away, Pompey, Yeovil and MK Dons at home), aside from MK Dons away and Walsall at home we havent looked any worse than say when we played Coventry or Bouremouth at home. There was always going to be some bad results and I suspect we will definitley lose at least once more between now and the end of the season. I think we need to be realistic here and show Flynn credit for keeping us in the run in at the top ( as we can see by Tranmere) when we could have dropped out of the top 6 considering the injury list we have had since he took over.

Had Pompey spurned that chance I think we may have gone on to score again, but once they got the goal being where they are in the table they were not going to let us through.

If we finish 1st (which is where we are now) or second it would be suicidal to not give Flynn the chance he deserves. We never got rid of Saunders when we were relegated to give him a chance to build his own team (and lets face it, we saw nothing last season to make us believe he was a good manager) so why do the opposite if were promoted?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012