Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:21:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bristol City fan in peace with some local info for your trip to Bristol  (Read 3169 times)

johngreatwestern@aol.com

• Forum Member
hope you don't mind a Bristol City fan coming on your boards with some local info
Firstly hope as many of as possible can make the trip to Bristol on sat 12 September
and plesae set out early,please.
Our match day ticket office is in total SHAMBLES at the present moment
Buy your tickets in advance to get any discounts from your own ticket office.
One minute Bristol City say you can buy on the turnstiles,then when away fans get to the turnstiles the club say you can't.
Some fans have ended up buying tickets in the Home sections
If you don't live in Doncaster and buy on the day,ring bristol City direct and pick up your tickets at Ashton Gate
Make sure you have the recipts
You will be housed on the right hand side of the Atyeo stand as you look at the pitch 
You will have the company of our new scoreboard,although it was not working on Saturday
against the team from South Humberside
If you are coming by road use M5 southbound to junction 18(Avonmouth) then follow signs A4 Bristol airport
It looks the long way round but traffic in central Bristol is awfull (ignore that SATNAV)
If you are coming by train
Try to use the the local railway station to parson street it takes you two thirds of the way to the ground by train,there is one local train an hour at XX:25 minutes past the hour
please try to use it as public transport to and from Ashton gate is very poor.
Although the light brown buse's behind the Atyeo stand will take you direct back to Bristol Temple Meads after the game
Casualty and Hobly City are filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both crap
The young ones was also filmed in the BS7 area of the City
(actually its Bishopston)
Finally the block of flats on the left behind the dolman stand side as you are in the away end is "the" block of flats in "fools and horses"
Bring yer camera and turn up early if you wanna take any photo's
Be prepared to be searched by the stewards.
Don't think their will be many Police at the game if Avon and Somerset Police are in attendance they will
be on "AWARENESS" excercise's.
Regarding the food outlet in the ground its crap, staffed by agency staff whose purpose is to do as little as possible
KFC is located near the old away and sainsburys store is five minutes away
with restaurant
Pubs possibly best one are in the cumberland road basin area novia scotia pump house
and the cottage no booze is sold in the ground
Buy your match day programme before you enter the your away end.
BBC Radio station is radio bristol which has frequenceys and 94:9 1548
In previous seasons Doncaster fans at ashton gate were
2008/09 534
2009/10 398
2010/11 425
2011/12 391
If you want or need any further local info please don't be afraid to ask.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Bristol City fan in peace with some local info for your trip to Bristol
« Reply #1 on September 08, 2014, 03:00:04 pm by Filo »
Regarding the food outlet in the ground its crap, staffed by agency staff whose purpose is to do as little as possible

Have they been bused in from Doncaster? :)

donnyguy61

« Reply #2 on September 08, 2014, 03:09:55 pm by donnyguy61 »
Match is all ticket.No tickets available on match day

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
hope you don't mind a Bristol City fan coming on your boards with some local info
Firstly hope as many of as possible can make the trip to Bristol on sat 12 September
and plesae set out early,please.
Our match day ticket office is in total SHAMBLES at the present moment
Buy your tickets in advance to get any discounts from your own ticket office.
One minute Bristol City say you can buy on the turnstiles,then when away fans get to the turnstiles the club say you can't.
Some fans have ended up buying tickets in the Home sections
If you don't live in Doncaster and buy on the day,ring bristol City direct and pick up your tickets at Ashton Gate
Make sure you have the recipts
You will be housed on the right hand side of the Atyeo stand as you look at the pitch 
You will have the company of our new scoreboard,although it was not working on Saturday
against the team from South Humberside
If you are coming by road use M5 southbound to junction 18(Avonmouth) then follow signs A4 Bristol airport
It looks the long way round but traffic in central Bristol is awfull (ignore that SATNAV)
If you are coming by train
Try to use the the local railway station to parson street it takes you two thirds of the way to the ground by train,there is one local train an hour at XX:25 minutes past the hour
please try to use it as public transport to and from Ashton gate is very poor.
Although the light brown buse's behind the Atyeo stand will take you direct back to Bristol Temple Meads after the game
Casualty and Hobly City are filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both crap
The young ones was also filmed in the BS7 area of the City
(actually its Bishopston)
Finally the block of flats on the left behind the dolman stand side as you are in the away end is "the" block of flats in "fools and horses"
Bring yer camera and turn up early if you wanna take any photo's
Be prepared to be searched by the stewards.
Don't think their will be many Police at the game if Avon and Somerset Police are in attendance they will
be on "AWARENESS" excercise's.
KFC is located near the old away and sainsburys store is five minutes away
with restaurant
Pubs possibly best one are in the cumberland road basin area novia scotia pump house
and the cottage no booze is sold in the ground
Buy your match day programme before you enter the your away end.
BBC Radio station is radio bristol which has frequenceys and 94:9 1548
In previous seasons Doncaster fans at ashton gate were
2008/09 534
2009/10 398
2010/11 425
2011/12 391
If you want or need any further local info please don't be afraid to ask.

You rate your match day experience then?

Cheers for the information, John.

roversdude

• VSC Member
Thanks John good info
What's it like without the gas down there

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 08, 2014, 10:02:36 pm by Scooter »
That's great, thanks john. I'm driving down. Can you suggest a good place to park please?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 09, 2014, 12:00:06 am by BobG »
The roads are all a bit confusing round there Scooter. But there a number of places like Comet or whathaveyou rthat have big car parks. Try them. or, if you can find it, Bedminster cricket club have a socking great field part of which they use as a car park on match days. Don't know what it costs but it might be worth googling. As it's right next to the police stables your car will probably be alright on there!

BobG

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 09, 2014, 07:16:42 am by Scooter »
Thanks Bob, I'll have a look

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
That's great, thanks john. I'm driving down. Can you suggest a good place to park please?

Last time I went, my mate drove and parked in this car park in an industrial estate about a two minutes walk from the ground, cost about £4 I think.

John, can you recommend anywhere to drink (if anywhere) as last time we wasn't allowed in the pub nearest ground (Robins bar?).

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Gotta have accuracy here - Casualty has been filmed in Cardiff for the past 4 years, and Holby in Elstree, Herts.

However, Bristol is/was the main location for such classics as Being Human, Trollied, Sherlock, Skins, Teachers and upcoming The Casual Vacancy (a little scoop there!).

Drinking - Maybe call The Robins before hand and see if away fans are welcome this season, but for fans dropped off at the ground I reckon your best bet is North Street, the Tobacco Factory on the corner of North Street and Raleigh Road, less than 10 mins from the ground. A little further away, 18 mins walk, The Cottage Inn on the harbourside is good if the weather is fair- can park up around that area (on the Cumberlaqnd Road if early enough) and after there's a lovely walk from the pub over the River Avon across the old grey rail bridge and through Greville Smyth Park to the ground. The Football Ground Guide covers it well. I wouldn't recommend the pubs very near the ground like Bar 3 or The Coopers Arms!

Parking - if you're early enough no problem at all, though watch out for future years with residents parking schemes making it tricky - next year likely to be set up all around Ashton. I'd suggest the streets south of the ground Duckmoor Road/Smyth Road area. If you're late, same kind of area but further south, or even East of North Street but still 15 mins walk time.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 09, 2014, 04:49:10 pm by Al4475 »
On my previous visits to ashton gate, I've stopped at a little b+b for either the fri or sat night can't remember it's name but there's a few along the stretch of river near aforementioned grey bridge - love the night time round the waterfront! There used to be a pub on that stretch too that served an almighty half pint of cloudy cider - they would only serve in half pint glasses and there was a limit on three halves per person!

Again (probably due to said cider) I can't remember the boozer's name! Gonna ask the wife if she fancies it this year!

Have to say I love going down there - cracking city!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:52:58 pm by Al4475 »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 09, 2014, 08:38:40 pm by BobG »
As cities go it's a belter A14. If I had to live in one, it'd be that one. Had some wonderful nights out there.  Had a good job there too once!

BobG

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Had my stag do in Brizzle. Can't remember much myself but told it was an awesome weekend :thumbsup:

johngreatwestern@aol.com

• Forum Member
The Grey bridge you talk of with B and B's is mostly likely Coronation Road with with the Avon Packet being the pub.

My honest opinion is park in Cumberland Road which has three pubs novia scotia pump house
and the cottage,and you MIGHT be able tp Park in the pubs car park if you have been drinking in their prior to the game,ask first.
If you park in that neck of the Woods,you can walk across to Ashton Gate and its an easier getaway from the area.
Your route away from the area is head towards Avonmouth(A4) and M4.
Any thing you need any further info,just ask.

SLO@DRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 10, 2014, 02:07:38 pm by SLO@DRFC »
Some parking info we've been asked to pass on to fans.

Thanks

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 10, 2014, 02:17:47 pm by RedJ »
12am? f**king hell, bit eager aren't they?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 10, 2014, 03:41:30 pm by DRNaith »
I think it's to encourage you to go for a meal, see a film and take in a spot of retail therapy before the game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012