Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:57:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Liam Hoden latest article  (Read 3133 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Liam Hoden latest article
« on December 09, 2021, 09:10:20 am by steve@dcfd »
Significant funds, no players out first, talking to players early, Trialists at the club, recruitment team looking at players early, GB and DB talking to our players to explain situation. Wanting to get players in early if the new manager agrees with those players.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Liam Hoden latest article
« Reply #1 on December 09, 2021, 09:41:47 am by GazLaz »
It was so obvious more needed to be done in the summer as I mentioned in this post.

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=281121.msg1084331#msg1084331

I don’t know the plan regarding recruitment in January but it would be easy, given the situation we are in, to throw good money after bad and actually compound the problems further down the line.

Every bit of business we do still has to tie in to the medium to long term plans. We can’t afford to sign any more duds on long(ish) term contracts.

A club our size doesn’t have to spend lots of money on players, we just have to spend clever money. I’m not sure there’s any capacity within the club to operate particularly smart in this area.

I’m not saying I think we are certain to bring in bad players but will we bring in a better crop than the competition that want to spend the same amount of money? There’s no reason to think so. It’s all about having some sort of competitive edge against your rivals in that specific area, do we have one? Probably not.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 09, 2021, 11:03:48 am by steve@dcfd »
I agree with that Gaz but I am not confident that the recruitment team we have can bring in the players we need. I hope they prove me wrong.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 09, 2021, 11:14:02 am by DonnyOsmond »
I agree with that Gaz but I am not confident that the recruitment team we have can bring in the players we need. I hope they prove me wrong.

Then we need to invest more in a recruitment team. A smart business plan isn't continuously overspending on crap.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 09, 2021, 11:18:02 am by steve@dcfd »

Then we need to invest more in a recruitment team. A smart business plan isn't continuously overspending on crap.
Donny I agree that part of the process is just as important to get the right players in as coaching them on the field. It has to improve. For me if the players we are looking at are not better than what we’ve got then do not get them in.

Also from the latest free press article it says we do not have to get players out but if we did it would allow more funds. If all players are contracted that situation is hard as we found in the summer.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:20:32 am by steve@dcfd »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 09, 2021, 11:19:35 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Not had a huge amount of time at it though, they came in quite late in the day aswell.  Got to see how they do in future windows.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 09, 2021, 11:33:37 am by Alan Southstand »
What the hell are we doing looking at trialists again? This is not the time for trialists, we need players who are good, solid league 1 players. Trouble is, will the ‘significant’ funds not stretch to that?

We’re looking at players and we may end up starting all over again if the new manager doesn’t rate them.

Surely, it can’t possibly be true that we’re speaking to Coughlan? That has appeared on Twitter this morning!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 09, 2021, 11:44:18 am by roversdude »
Where are trialists mentioned please

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 09, 2021, 12:00:57 pm by roversdude »
Thanks not noticed that bit - not necessarily out of contract players though

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 09, 2021, 12:35:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
What the hell are we doing looking at trialists again? This is not the time for trialists, we need players who are good, solid league 1 players. Trouble is, will the ‘significant’ funds not stretch to that?

We’re looking at players and we may end up starting all over again if the new manager doesn’t rate them.

Surely, it can’t possibly be true that we’re speaking to Coughlan? That has appeared on Twitter this morning!

If you look in the rumour mill, you might see possible identities of who might be on trial.

If certain players/agents offer themselves up  then it would rude not to have a look at them. It could be players who are familiar to us and want to prove their fitness to us.

At the end of the day, the new manager will decide if they want to sign any of them.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 09, 2021, 02:16:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
DBR, we tried all that in the summer and what did we get out of it?

My point is we are past the point of looking at trialists!

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 09, 2021, 07:57:40 pm by rtid88 »
Loans wise I'd keep Smith and Galbraith if possible and send the other 3 back.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 09, 2021, 08:10:36 pm by roversdude »
It sounded like Pontus and Cukur will be going back listening to the latest interview

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 10, 2021, 02:13:38 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Loans wise I'd keep Smith and Galbraith if possible and send the other 3 back.
I agree, Vilca obviously has talent but seems to be a bit lightweight and lacks awareness, been so many times this season where he’s took a man on and instead of releasing the ball he’s tried to take another on. Pontus has been decent but don’t think he’s any better than Jones tbh and think we should move him on and free a loan spot up for another outfield player (we have the emergency loan option if anything happens to jones). Cukur has not done anything all season and doesn’t even look bothered. Galbraith has a lot of talent and I think Man Utd will want him to stay because he’s playing every week. Smith is getting better every game imo and he’s the one that we could maybe bring in on a permanent at the end of the season if the new manager wants to because I don’t think he’s gonna break into the arsenal side and his contract expires at the end of the season I think.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 10, 2021, 02:16:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Nothing wrong with looking at trialists, they might be with current clubs, so might be fit. If not the players nowadays are athletes. A month or two’s hard work and they aren’t far off match fitness.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 10, 2021, 06:39:42 am by roversdude »
Problem is Sammy we haven’t really got a month or two, we need player to literally hit the ground running

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 10, 2021, 08:23:09 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I know but if they are good enough behind closed doors games can be arranged.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 10, 2021, 10:30:13 am by selby »
  Alan, I have the opposite view to you in that Graham Younger was brought in this season as the talent identification manager and basically did not have any input to our team that started this season coming in too late and we were left basically with the names left over by the last regime and like Vilca last minute signings when the this season injury situation really became apparent.
   Now this window should and will have his stamp on it, and if he has been proactive and on the ball then I would hope and welcome the fact that trialists are being brought in for evaluation, hopefully ones he has discovered and fully analysed prior to trials.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 10, 2021, 10:46:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just purely a hunch with one of the triallists possibly being a player very familiar to us who's had a horrendous time with injury and illness.

I maybe way off the mark of course but this is why we shouldn't be too dismissive of the calibre of player who might be on trial bearing in mind there will be other targets too.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 10, 2021, 11:07:49 am by RugbyRover »
Just purely a hunch with one of the triallists possibly being a player very familiar to us who's had a horrendous time with injury and illness.

I maybe way off the mark of course but this is why we shouldn't be too dismissive of the calibre of player who might be on trial bearing in mind there will be other targets too.

"horrendous time with injury and illness" ......sounds like he'll fit in then  :lol:

anything posted in the old rumour mill?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 10, 2021, 11:12:24 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

"horrendous time with injury and illness" ......sounds like he'll fit in then  :lol:

anything posted in the old rumour mill?

Hence the trial and yes there is mention of him there but nothing specifically about the trial. As I said, that's just my hunch.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 10, 2021, 11:29:23 am by Bessie Red »

Josh Sims?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 10, 2021, 02:19:40 pm by RoversAlias »
  Alan, I have the opposite view to you in that Graham Younger was brought in this season as the talent identification manager and basically did not have any input to our team that started this season coming in too late and we were left basically with the names left over by the last regime and like Vilca last minute signings when the this season injury situation really became apparent.
   Now this window should and will have his stamp on it, and if he has been proactive and on the ball then I would hope and welcome the fact that trialists are being brought in for evaluation, hopefully ones he has discovered and fully analysed prior to trials.

Graham Younger was brought in the second week of May, right after last season ended. He will have been all over this summer's recruitment. It will have been driven by him and Wellens, if both did the job they were advertised to be doing all summer.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 10, 2021, 02:53:38 pm by steve@dcfd »

Graham Younger was brought in the second week of May, right after last season ended. He will have been all over this summer's recruitment. It will have been driven by him and Wellens, if both did the job they were advertised to be doing all summer.
Looking at the first four signings as Alias says it will have been a mixture of Richie and Graham
Close was the first may have come from identification  list. Knoyle and Williams Richie knew both these players Rowe wanted to come.
Smith was a loan was known by Richie. Cukur not sure how he would have been identified.
Hiwula we needed a left sided midfield player I am not sure if he was first choice from the list as it took time to sign him.
Then we had to wait for he next players whether they be loans or Trialist permanents. Then after the fiasco of the transfer window ending we signed
Vilica on recommendation of Graham seeing him and watching a video. Dodoo as a free agent. Olowu was signed after John had his problem with his back.

By this time the serious nature of injuries to Okenabirhie Taylor and John had been identified.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:09:06 pm by steve@dcfd »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 10, 2021, 03:22:38 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
A few of the signings came from Manchester, and had played for the same youth team.
I don’t think it’s so much the players brought in, we had a manager who couldn’t get the best from them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 10, 2021, 04:31:46 pm by Campsall rover »
MCSheffrey said in one of his interviews some players needed an arm round them and needed the fear factor removing from their play.

That says it all to me. RW created a situation where players were frightened to make mistakes.

That’s how I see it, maybe wrong but I saw signs of the shackles coming off 2nd half v Oxford.  Players were actually running at the Oxford defence which has not been happening. Horton’s goal being the best example. Others were doing it also.

Saturday will show further whether the players feel confident in expressing themselves more. I am confident they will.
Although I will not be there to witness it due to my late surprise visit to Anfield. So will need all your feed back as to how we performed.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 10, 2021, 05:04:04 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
There has been some improvement, we are not that far from picking a few results up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012