Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:49:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Yorkshire Post - great article  (Read 2023 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Yorkshire Post - great article
« on April 20, 2012, 09:34:12 am by Chris Black come back »
Key point from Saunders on injuries: "We have got to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible because Shelton has been injured on and off for two years,” said Saunders. “He’s a really good player – if we can keep him fit – but unfortunately for Shelton, he can’t get himself fit. Going into a season, you need to know that your centre-backs are going to play 35-40 games. If he’s only playing 10 you have got to sign another centre-half to replace him.”

Published on Friday 20 April 2012 08:10

FOR the first time in nearly a decade, a black cloud is hanging over Doncaster Rovers.

A Conference outfit in 2003, the last nine years have been a golden era in the club’s history with three promotions, a move to a new home, and trips to both Wembley and the Millennium Stadium.

After an absence of 50 years, Rovers had returned to the second tier of English football and were playing a brand of football admired by the majority of neutral observers.

Over the last 18 months, however, the wheels have come off the bandwagon culminating in relegation to League One.

The club’s success was not even enough to fill a 15,000-capacity stadium and the money started to dry up. The board lost faith in the old manager and, prompted by agent Willie McKay, opted instead for a radical new transfer strategy designed to keep the club in the Championship.

For Dean Saunders, the manager brought in to improve things after the sacking of Sean O’Driscoll, the last six months turned into a rough ride.

More accustomed to highs than lows at some of the biggest clubs in the country, Saunders now has to accept a share of the blame for Rovers’ failure.

Yet the former Welsh international, who had never previously managed in the Football League before getting the job, insists it would be wrong to judge him on the basis of this season’s events.

Saunders, 47, is determined to lead Rovers back to the Championship and makes it clear that he wants ‘younger players’ with a ‘different mentality’ to this season’s short-term signings.

“All of us are still licking our wounds at what has happened to us this season,” he said. “Some people have asked me ‘Where did it all go wrong?’ But I don’t think it has gone wrong. It’s got better but it was just not good enough to stay up.”

Under Saunders, Rovers have won seven out of the last 38 games and, before his arrival, had won only three out of 35 games under O’Driscoll.

“The odds were always stacked against us and you wouldn’t have got a very good price on us staying up when I walked in,” he said, “but we so nearly pulled it off and we were good at times. If we had just converted three draws into wins we would have been safe.

“I don’t want to be judged on this season, I want to be judged once I can sign my own players and get my own team,” he stressed. “You hear people saying all sorts of things when a team gets relegated. ‘The manager’s lost the dressing room, there’s no team spirit, the training is crap, the food’s not the best, the bus is terrible, he’s tactically naive’. It’s all rubbish.

“But when you win, you are Kenny Dalglish again. That’s football.

“You have to take the punches on the chin and, when you win, the pats on the back.”

Considering Liverpool’s inconsistencies this season, Saunders might have chosen a better example to illustrate his point but the sentiment is still clear. Essentially, Saunders believes that a few good results will always change a low opinion of any manager.

With a different approach in the transfer market, he is optimistic about life in League One but also says it could take three years to sort the club out properly.

“I have got a long, hard summer ahead of me because we have lost a lot of TV money and the budget is going to be a lot smaller,” he admitted. “It won’t even be until the following season when you can say ‘Right, who are we signing?’

“It’s not going to be like that this summer because we still have 12 players in contract and, if you add up what we are committed to, that comes to a lot of money.

“Who knows? A lot of clubs might come in for our players. I can’t wait to start building this club from the bottom, getting my own players in, and stamping my own mentality on a fresh season.”

Of the foreign players supplied by McKay, only former Aston Villa defender Habib Beye is under contract beyond the end of the season.

The Senegal international has a get-out clause in his deal, however, and is unlikely to want League One football.

Saunders is also aware that the club cannot afford to keep relying on players with bad injury records. One of the biggest problems for Rovers over the last 18 months has been the number of players sitting on the sidelines.

Against Middlesbrough on Tuesday night, defender Shelton Martis suffered yet another recurrence of a calf injury – joining midfielders Brian Stock, Martin Woods, Paul Keegan and defender Tommy Spurr in the treatment room.

“We have got to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible because Shelton has been injured on and off for two years,” said Saunders. “He’s a really good player – if we can keep him fit – but unfortunately for Shelton, he can’t get himself fit. Going into a season, you need to know that your centre-backs are going to play 35-40 games. If he’s only playing 10 you have got to sign another centre-half to replace him.”

A memorable chapter in the Rovers story is now over but, if Saunders is right, there will be others on the way.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
Re: Yorkshire Post - great article
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2012, 11:06:41 am by Sheepskin Stu »

“All of us are still licking our wounds at what has happened to us this season,” he said. “Some people have asked me ‘Where did it all go wrong?’ But I don’t think it has gone wrong. It’s got better but it was just not good enough to stay up.”

“The odds were always stacked against us and you wouldn’t have got a very good price on us staying up when I walked in,” he said, “but we so nearly pulled it off and we were good at times. If we had just converted three draws into wins we would have been safe.

Oh dear Mr Saunders. It hasn't got better though has it? You could say it's exactly the same or make a case for it being worse.

You so nearly pulled it off? Really?

This guy is either an expert in media relations or f**king deluded.

Unbelievable.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2012, 11:11:41 am by Donnywolf »
Ay up Stu

Im with you (100%)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 20, 2012, 11:15:02 am by Sheepskin Stu »
How's it going John? I'll catch up with you next season for sure.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2012, 11:19:56 am by Yargo »
The silence is deafening from those that had lots to say back in September,perhaps i should post a im resigning piece?

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2012, 11:36:29 am by Donnybob »
Classic!

Some people have asked me ‘Where did it all go wrong?’ But I don’t think it has gone wrong.

You wouldn’t have got a very good price on us staying up when I walked in.

I don’t want to be judged on this season.

Couldn't make it up, could you?

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 20, 2012, 11:56:55 am by mjdgreg »
“‘The manager’s lost the dressing room, there’s no team spirit, the training is crap, the food’s not the best, the bus is terrible, he’s tactically naive’.

I think He he's summed the situation up quite well there. About time he took some responsibility. Saunders out now!!!

DavTrav

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 20, 2012, 11:58:25 am by DavTrav »
Especially the last bit!! :thumbdown:

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2012, 12:05:47 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Classic!

Some people have asked me ‘Where did it all go wrong?’ But I don’t think it has gone wrong.

You wouldn’t have got a very good price on us staying up when I walked in.

I don’t want to be judged on this season.

Couldn't make it up, could you?

Makes it sound like he's only been here six weeks doesnt it? Talk about deflecting blame and responsibility.

Mr soundbite strikes again.

SiBo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 20, 2012, 12:47:34 pm by SiBo »
I'm amazed more journalists haven't actually pushed him harder on some of the things that he's said or pointed out his continuing and blatant contradictions. Are the local media so scared of the implications of asking difficult questions and challenging how we've come to this point, or do they simply not care as long as they have got quotes to fill their pages?

I understand local media have to be supportive to a degree to their local clubs but there's being supportive and risking their own credibility. It is patently obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that all is not well behind the scenes and the heart of our club has been ripped out over the past seven months but instead we continue to get watered down transcripts of soundbite interviews from people who call themselves journalists? 

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 20, 2012, 09:27:10 pm by Al4475 »
Is it a great article tho?
For me all it does is congratulate us on 9 years worth of rising and commiserates us (whilst almost saying 'you're back where you belong now - see you around!') on our recent demise and relegation!

It sheds no extra light on anything - just clarify's what most of us think (for or against Dean and the Experiment, that changes were probably needed and they unfortunately having quite worked!)

The interesting quote from Dean for me is the, 'Training's crap' quote - I'd not heard this being bandied about by anyone at all in the press or in gossip - altho, a friend of mine within the club had alluded to this being a possibility, but one that the players liked as they had loads of extra spare time which they were unaccustomed too!

I'm still not sure what to make of things! At the end of the day, we'd gone stale under SO'D and it was time for a change, the experiment was either gonna be a radical blueprint that was gonna change the face of football or an unmitigated disaster - I think it's been a mixture of both.

I'm not convinced by Dean (but he gets my support as I believe in DRFC and he's currently our manager) especially when the likes of Dave Jones were out of work when we appointed him. Unfortunately, I also feel that after years of many clubs' fans kinda following us as one of their faves - sticking two fingers up at the establishment and all that - we now have others saying  -'Serves em right' - that hurts a bit - what can you do?

The split it's caused amongst fans is unbelievable.
I just hope that for DRFCs sakes we can grow stronger together from what's been a tad disappointing couple of seasons! But let's be honest - we all knew the Championship adventure would end at some point! Now we need to take stock for a season and get our ship in order as best as we can before beginning the next stage of our constant rollercoaster ride!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:29:41 pm by Al4475 »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 21, 2012, 01:39:01 am by RoversAlias »
Does an article on the club have to 'shed light' on anything? Can it not just be a well written commentary on what's going on and has been going on at the club?

I do largely agree with you though, especially on how we need to look at next season and the uncertainty over Dean. I have found myself both defending him and arguing against him on this forum recently.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012