Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:14:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best keeper in the division  (Read 2156 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Best keeper in the division
« on June 21, 2011, 06:37:06 pm by RedJ »
Just sat here thinking to myself about keepers in the Championship, and personally I reckon Speroni is the best, followed by Westwood and Camp.

Opinions?

EDIT: the one stipulation is it has to be from the 2010-11 season. Good shouts though Jon

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Best keeper in the division
« Reply #1 on June 21, 2011, 06:51:09 pm by Jonathan »
It was Paddy Kenny by a mile in my opinion.

At the time of writing it's probably got to be Ben Foster or Robert Green. If they leave then Westwood, Camp and Speroni are all good shouts.

Unfortunately it's not one of ours, although I dare say Joe Murphy is one of the better ones.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 21, 2011, 06:54:46 pm by RedJ »
Oh, hadn't thought of Kenny :headbang: he was quality. Murphy is a good keeper, it's important to remember he missed part of the season for various reasons, and also the utter crap in front of him didn't help matters.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 21, 2011, 06:57:49 pm by andysly »
If i could have one for us it'd be Westwood without a doubt.
Speroni's decent but a bit of a showboater, I'd take Murphy but not too sure.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 21, 2011, 07:42:55 pm by danumdon »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=162722

At the time of writing it's probably got to be Ben Foster or Robert Green. If they leave then Westwood, Camp and Speroni are all good shouts.

Unfortunately it's not one of ours, although I dare say Joe Murphy is one of the better ones.
[/b]

When you put it like that Jon anyone would think we had the fella on the books, anything you'd like to share with the forum :)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 21, 2011, 07:44:22 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"danumdon\" post=162731

[/b]

When you put it like that Jon anyone would think we had the fella on the books, anything you'd like to share with the forum :)

:thumbsup:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 21, 2011, 07:46:46 pm by Jonathan »

I wish! Unfortunately not, I was merely referring to the fact that we were strongly linked with him before we decided we would like to go into the season with Woods as number one.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 21, 2011, 07:46:51 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
De Vries impressed me, but of course he ain't a Championship goalie any more...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 21, 2011, 07:55:19 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Glyn_Wigley\" post=162734
De Vries impressed me, but of course he ain't a Championship goalie any more...

As I say in my edit - it's from 2010-11 :)

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 21, 2011, 07:59:40 pm by Al4475 »
Loach is decent at Watford too!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 21, 2011, 08:00:12 pm by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=162733

I wish! Unfortunately not, I was merely referring to the fact that we were strongly linked with him before we decided we would like to go into the season with Woods as number one.

No offence to Woods but I'm hoping we're still poking around the market. He's as natural a shot stopper as I've seen but has nowhere near enough command of his box for me and I'd like to see him develop on loan somewhere but I know theres a valid \"how can he get experience if we don't play him\" debate to be had there.

But back to the thread - Kenny, Speroni, Camp. I'm never sure with keepers like Westwood and Murphy, they make spectacular saves and do that trendy sideways kicking but sometimes I think \"Sulli used to catch those as his positioning meant he wasn't having to dive for them like a Bulgarian gymnast\".

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 21, 2011, 08:33:47 pm by danumdon »
It probably is a year too soon for Gary Woods to be first choice for us but it looks like the path we will take.

Always thought that Lonegan at PNE was a quality keeper who looks to have lost is way last season and subsequently dropped to the reserves, it was stated that he was a million pound plus keeper but i wonder how much it would cost us now to bring him here and rebuild he career.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 21, 2011, 10:48:11 pm by Standanista »
I'd bring back Andy Rhodes.

For me, with Sully here to both bring Woods on and fill in where needed, I don't see the keeper spot this coming season as being a problem.  I think the opposite, really: Everton are already sniffing around, and if the lad Woods continues to develop, we might be lucky to hold on to him come season end, even if we have, as it says here on this William Hill slip, just been promoted to the Premiership.

That said, if Iker Casillas were to ring SOD up and offer to play for YTS money, and me and the Inca Trek mob were dragged in as Spanish interpreters for the contract negotiations, I'd probably be advising SOD to back down, guarantee him the Nº 1 jersey and accept his twenty five pound a week wage demands.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 21, 2011, 11:02:39 pm by RobTheRover »
Muy buena!

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 21, 2011, 11:06:14 pm by Standanista »
No será problema, todo bajo control y te cuento lo que pasa.

;)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 21, 2011, 11:12:08 pm by RobTheRover »
Erm... dos cerveza, por favor!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2011, 01:18:13 am by Mr1Croft »
I don't think we should bother with a new keeper, yes Woods has lots to learn, but could we get anything better with the squad we currently have, and sign the players we need?

You could stick the worst goal keeper in the world behind the best defence and he'd look a quality goal keeper, ie Van Der Sar isn't anything special, but his defence is.

Back to the conversation I think the best goal keeper in the division is possibly  Scott Loach, he shows a lot of promise to the future too and will go a long way in my eyes.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 22, 2011, 06:20:28 am by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=162810
I don't think we should bother with a new keeper, yes Woods has lots to learn, but could we get anything better with the squad we currently have, and sign the players we need?

You could stick the worst goal keeper in the world behind the best defence and he'd look a quality goal keeper, ie Van Der Sar isn't anything special, but his defence is.

Back to the conversation I think the best goal keeper in the division is possibly  Scott Loach, he shows a lot of promise to the future too and will go a long way in my eyes.

The thing is there though, our defence isn't one of the best, or wasn't last year anyway. It's a lot of pressure for Woods thats for sure.

Good shout on Loach, surprised he never made the Premiership step up not long after his U21 invilvement.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 22, 2011, 07:39:28 am by AbsolutDRFC »
Quote from: \"DonnyNoel\" post=162818
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=162810

The thing is there though, our defence isn't one of the best, or wasn't last year anyway. It's a lot of pressure for Woods thats for sure.

Good shout on Loach, surprised he never made the Premiership step up not long after his U21 invilvement.

Loach signed a new contract only a couple of months ago, but don't be surprised to see speculation about a move to Cardiff now Mackay's there.

Cardiff are in need of a keeper, as those 2 clowns last year probably cost them automatic promotion. Bywater is probably the worst keeper in the division!

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 22, 2011, 08:21:44 am by Donny Dub »
Where is Joe Murphy going next season?

I've said it before and I repeat that he'd be very good for us.  He is a very confident character, very vocal, organises his defenders and really keeps them on their toes.  He'd be playing for Ireland before Given or Westwood if it was up to me.

Good luck.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 22, 2011, 09:32:06 am by Pintolager »
Quote from: \"Donny Dub\" post=162825

I've said it before and I repeat that he'd be very good for us.  He is a very confident character, very vocal, organises his defenders and really keeps them on their toes.  He'd be playing for Ireland before Given or Westwood if it was up to me.

Good luck.

It is rumoured that Coventry are set to sign him now that Westwood has signed for Sunderland!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 22, 2011, 12:30:57 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Donny Dub\" post=162825

Good luck.

I heard Coventry a while back but haven't heard anything since then. Looks like we've dropped a bollock with that deal unless we still manage to bring him in, which looks increasingly unlikely. Or I could be way off and we could be being kept in the dark until the last minute like the Kilgallon deal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012