Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:14:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sports Direct on Wheatley Hall Road  (Read 4722 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Sports Direct on Wheatley Hall Road
« on June 25, 2011, 03:04:36 pm by RedJ »
Went in there this afternoon, just for a look at what they had in, and the first thing I noticed when I went upstairs (if you don't know the layout the football shirts are right at the front of the landing at the top of the stairs) was a Sheffield United shirt.

Why is it that United are having shirts sold there but we aren't? Are we deciding not to do it e.g. because of some agreement with Nike or something? or is it just shops not willing to sell our shirts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bedale rover

• VSC Member
Re: Sports Direct on Wheatley Hall Road
« Reply #1 on June 25, 2011, 03:43:47 pm by bedale rover »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=163893
Went in there this afternoon, just for a look at what they had in, and the first thing I noticed when I went upstairs (if you don't know the layout the football shirts are right at the front of the landing at the top of the stairs) was a Sheffield United shirt.

Why is it that United are having shirts sold there but we aren't? Are we deciding not to do it e.g. because of some agreement with Nike or something? or is it just shops not willing to sell our shirts?

they are cheap and no one wants 'em :woot:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 25, 2011, 03:55:39 pm by Rios »
Same reason as it's always been.  If it's sold in a sports shop the Rovers get a lot less money per shirt than if it's sold in our club shop.  I can't think of any reason I'd want to buy it from Sports Direct and fund that fat cockney knobend at Newcastle than from the club I support..

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 25, 2011, 04:07:43 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=163910
Same reason as it's always been.  If it's sold in a sports shop the Rovers get a lot less money per shirt than if it's sold in our club shop.  I can't think of any reason I'd want to buy it from Sports Direct and fund that fat cockney knobend at Newcastle than from the club I support..

Ah, never thought of that. Would never buy from anywhere but the club anyway, just found it surprising that they'd sell the top of a club from about 20 miles away but not of the town the shop was in.

That's true, BR :laugh:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 25, 2011, 08:31:53 pm by RobTheRover »
Rovers used to sell the shirt in other sports shops in Donny though.  I remember buying the ziggy zaggy hoops one from 92 from Sugg Sports in the Frenchgate (nee Arndale) centre

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 25, 2011, 08:39:43 pm by River Don »
Would Rovers benefit from having shirts more easily available. Probably not.

we're in a massively competitive business. JR has taken on a really big challenge with it, just getting the locals to support the club is enormous.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 25, 2011, 08:48:49 pm by hoolahoop »
They can't sell them in S2 .........simples. :)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 25, 2011, 09:56:57 pm by Donnywolf »
Same reason as it's always been.  If it's sold in a sports shop the Rovers get a lot less money per shirt than if it's sold in our club shop.  ..

... that answers a question I posed on here many moons ago

Asda at Scunny were selling the SKitsons Shirts and other gear and I wonderered why Asda Donny did not have similar types of Rovers merchandise.

At the time nobody had a viable answer

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 26, 2011, 06:41:52 am by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"DONNYWOLF\" post=163995
Same reason as it's always been.  If it's sold in a sports shop the Rovers get a lot less money per shirt than if it's sold in our club shop.  ..

... that answers a question I posed on here many moons ago

Asda at Scunny were selling the SKitsons Shirts and other gear and I wonderered why Asda Donny did not have similar types of Rovers merchandise.

At the time nobody had a viable answer

It probably boils down to where Nike will let their products be sold. When we switched to Nike, it wasn't just as kit supplier they now own and run the club shop and we (DRFC) only get some sort of commission, which I assume is a lot less than the margin on each shirt sold but we don't have the expense of the shop, with wages and everything.

If Nike own the intellectual property rights to the kit then if it is sold elsewhere we might not get anything at all!

Another question for Messrs Morris and Lockwood I suspect.

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 26, 2011, 07:20:16 pm by Ollie the Legend! »
HMV in Frenchgate sells Leeds stuff!!!!!! :saywhat:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 26, 2011, 07:21:52 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Ollie the Legend!\" post=164131

See I don't get why shops will sell things from clubs that are from places miles off, unless there's no one closer, or if they're a big side.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 26, 2011, 07:39:59 pm by scuzzer »
What about us selling some of our shirts in Sheffield and Leeds sports shops?!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 26, 2011, 07:57:21 pm by German Rover »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=164132
Quote from: \"Ollie the Legend!\" post=164131

See I don't get why shops will sell things from clubs that are from places miles off, unless there's no one closer, or if they're a big side.

They wouldn't sell these things if people didn't buy them. Therefore people buy them. Don't forget for a long time until the recent past leeds were the most successful team in yorkshire and regardless of what you think of them have fans all over the country. they also get the square root of f**k all, but with everything you buy in the club shop, a cut goes to rovers.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 26, 2011, 08:04:06 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I suppose it is possible that they don't sell Donny shirts in Donny but do sell them in Sheffield and vice versa dunno just a thought

TinyPortal © 2005-2012