Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:08:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: "Ryan's future unclear"  (Read 6761 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
"Ryan's future unclear"
« on November 07, 2013, 08:59:28 am by RedJ »
According to a Yorkshire Post journo.

Probably some shite to sell papers but might be worth a look.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
Re: "Ryan's future unclear"
« Reply #1 on November 07, 2013, 09:16:01 am by BigColSutherland »
Aren't all our futures unclear? Isn't that the very essence of life itself?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 07, 2013, 09:16:56 am by RedJ »
Aye, but there isn't going to be something in the paper about our futures today (unless of course you believe in that stars b*llocks).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 07, 2013, 09:28:42 am by GazLaz »
JR knows the three of them have taken the club as far as they can. He wants to see the club move forward still that's his problem.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 07, 2013, 09:44:24 am by RedJ »
f**k me is that it? hardly exclusive groundbreaking stuff...

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 07, 2013, 10:05:46 am by Boomstick »
Good well written article, with some new news. Doncaster free press take note.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 07, 2013, 10:44:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
A good article? Not a single substantiated point. It's all "we understand" and "according to sources".

Bullshit journalism that's piped out when there's nothing to write about and an editor demanding some copy.

Here's an example

According to MY sources,
The street's the place to go-oh.
Cos tonight for the first time
Just about half past ten
For the first time in histo-oh-ree.
It's gonna start raining men.

That's what my source said. You prove they didn't.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 07, 2013, 10:49:42 am by Boomstick »
"The shock development comes just two days after the Yorkshire Post revealed that a meeting between Irish consortium Sequentia Capital and a representative of the club’s majority shareholders was to take place on Tuesday – amid speculation that a revised deal could be brokered."

In that paragraph, where does it say 'according to our sources' or 'we understand'.
The Yorkshire post has revealed news, as some papers still actually do.
It's news you probably dont like because your trying to discredit it  :rolleyes:

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 07, 2013, 11:14:06 am by Alickismyhero »
It seems to me that one little duck is out of line and for the sake of the club he should get back in  line and stop using his press contacts to get his position over surreptitiously.

The team is struggling right now its support it needs and not the split in the boardroom exposed again.

Kiss and make up is my advice, Young Dickies job is hard enough without articles like this.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 07, 2013, 11:20:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick. A tip. Trying reading the article.

"According to sources, the long-serving chairman is particularly unhappy..."

"Tensions between Rovers’ major shareholders have been fraught since the summer, with Ryan understood to have been worried about the direction of the club for some time."

The writer also uses other classic devices. For example:
"Ryan’s ideas of progress appear to conflict with those of his fellow major shareholders..."

"Appear" to whom? Where is the evidence?

And while we're at it, where in that entire article is the evidence that Ryan's future is "unclear"?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 07, 2013, 11:23:49 am by Wild Rover »
Maybe, just maybe, Ryan himself spoke to Leon Wobschall, but was a little vague.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 07, 2013, 11:29:07 am by Wellred »
 so here we go again.
On one side the "we are happy to stay where we are or even get relegated as long as we remain in the black" brigade.
On the other side we have those who agree with John Ryan and have some kind of ambition for our club.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 07, 2013, 11:41:26 am by Lipsy »
No, it's not news. "News" would be 'John Ryan To Stand Down As Chairman'. This, however, is a load of speculative, unsubstantiated b*llocks. An 'unclear' future is, as has been mentioned already, the fate all of us face. JR might stand down (in fact, it was mooted many months ago when the deal fell flat on its arse), but he might not stand down. He might have eggs for his breakfast, he might not - it's unclear, innit?

In fact, if you distil that "news" item down to its (perhaps) purest form it would read: We know f**k all about JR's position. Still, whatever happens (or doesn't), YP can pat itself on the back for getting in there first with its piece about JR standing down/not standing down.

Right, I am off to write a catastrophizing news item about the world's end. I'm going to give it the title 'Earth: Its Future Remains Unclear'.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 07, 2013, 11:44:44 am by Filo »
It appears to me like the same person fueling the press all summer is on a new offensive

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 07, 2013, 11:54:07 am by wilts rover »
Maybe, just maybe, Ryan himself spoke to Leon Wobschall, but was a little vague.

before or after he was 'unavailable for comment'?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 07, 2013, 12:21:06 pm by Boomstick »
Boomstick. A tip. Trying reading the article.

"According to sources, the long-serving chairman is particularly unhappy..."

"Tensions between Rovers’ major shareholders have been fraught since the summer, with Ryan understood to have been worried about the direction of the club for some time."

The writer also uses other classic devices. For example:
"Ryan’s ideas of progress appear to conflict with those of his fellow major shareholders..."

"Appear" to whom? Where is the evidence?

And while we're at it, where in that entire article is the evidence that Ryan's future is "unclear"?

So are you categorically stating they didn't have a meeting on Tuesday? because THAT is news.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 07, 2013, 12:22:32 pm by DRNaith »
so here we go again.
On one side the "we are happy to stay where we are or even get relegated as long as we remain in the black" brigade.
On the other side we have those who agree with John Ryan and have some kind of ambition for our club.

Ha! indeed, as if the sound financial running of a football club is no ambition

Turn it in.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 07, 2013, 12:26:51 pm by Wellred »
so here we go again.

Turn it in.

Ha ha. Some people would still be happy if we had the most financially sound football club in the Conference.

Turn it in?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 07, 2013, 12:28:53 pm by DRNaith »
so here we go again.

Turn it in.

Ha ha. Some people would still be happy if we had the most financially sound football club in the Conference.

Turn it in?

You mistake my comment as agreement?

I am showing that you consider the wish to have a well run club as a lack of ambition.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 07, 2013, 12:31:06 pm by Wellred »
so here we go again.

Turn it in.

Turn it in?

You mistake my comment as agreement?

I am showing that you consider the wish to have a well run club as a lack of ambition.

It very much depends where you want that well run club to be.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 07, 2013, 01:02:14 pm by Wild Rover »

before or after he was 'unavailable for comment'?

Unavailable for comment YESTERDAY, not Tuesday, Nor Today.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 07, 2013, 01:44:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just read that article again, and it's looking like worse journalism every time I read it.

It starts with this.

"THE position of Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan is in doubt this morning following a key meeting regarding the club’s future earlier this week."

It goes on to call this a "shock development".

It's all set up perfectly for the journalist to reveal what astonishing information he has found out that leads him to this conclusion. And there it fizzles out.

You're left expecting a "Ryan said, 'There are serious issues and I am considering my position.'" Or maybe just a "Ryan said, 'I have no plans to step down but of course no-one can do this job forever.'"  Even a "sources close to Ryan suggested that he is unhappy with developments this week and is considering his position" would have been something.

But there's nothing. Nothing at all. Just re-hashed, weeks-old bits of tittle-tattle. No recent news. No recent developments. Nothing.

And after all that, the journalist goes on to state "The news that the future of Ryan, who has been club chairman for 15 years, is unclear will represent an unwelcome and deeply concerning development to Rovers supporters."

I've got news for you chuckie egg. Unless and until we actually DO hear some news to this effect, rather than this pile of ballacks, we will NOT be deeply concerned. At least those of us who can think won't be.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 07, 2013, 01:53:47 pm by Wild Rover »
One thing I will say about Leon Wobschall is he does not make things up to fill a column. He will have inside word on ANYTHING he puts in print.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 07, 2013, 02:12:46 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Just read that article again, and it's looking like worse journalism every time I read it.

It starts with this.

"THE position of Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan is in doubt this morning following a key meeting regarding the club’s future earlier this week."

It's all set up perfectly for the journalist to reveal what astonishing information he has found out that leads him to this conclusion. And there it fizzles out.

You're left expecting a "Ryan said, 'There are serious issues and I am considering my position.'" Or maybe just a "Ryan said, 'I have no plans to step down but of course no-one can do this job forever.'"  Even a "sources close to Ryan suggested that he is unhappy with developments this week and is considering his position" would have been something.

But there's nothing. Nothing at all. Just re-hashed, weeks-old bits of tittle-tattle. No recent news. No recent developments. Nothing.

And after all that, the journalist goes on to state "The news that the future of Ryan, who has been club chairman for 15 years, is unclear will represent an unwelcome and deeply concerning development to Rovers supporters."

I've got news for you chuckie egg. Unless and until we actually DO hear some news to this effect, rather than this pile of ballacks, we will NOT be deeply concerned. At least those of us who can think won't be.

Be careful what you wish for BST.
Unfortunately, we may hear sooner rather than later.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 07, 2013, 02:16:16 pm by Boomstick »

It starts with this.

Maybe he can't go deeper into it for risk of revealing his source, and you still haven't answered my question. Are you saying unequivocally that there hasn't been a meeting? because the Yorkshire post is saying there was, and that's the news.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 07, 2013, 02:18:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
WR: Maybe. You know him, I don't. And for the record, I am not accusing him of making anything up. What I am saying is that there is no evidence in his piece to back up the shock headline.

Boomstick: I have no idea whether any meeting took place. i have no idea what was discussed at any meeting that might have taken place. And the article says nothing about whether a meeting took place or what was discussed at any meeting that may have taken place. therefore there is no news.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 07, 2013, 02:25:16 pm by Wild Rover »
Well FP seem to agree a meeting took place on Tuesday, with a representative of the 3 major shareholders. Club do not refute this. What they say is no new bid has been forthcoming.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 07, 2013, 03:21:33 pm by bobjimwilly »
so here we go again.

I am on neither side? Does this mean I am in limbo?

Spankster

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 07, 2013, 07:25:04 pm by Spankster »
or sat on the fence  :coat:

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 07, 2013, 08:50:09 pm by Savvy »
A good article? Not a single substantiated point. It's all "we understand" and "according to sources".

Bullshit journalism that's piped out when there's nothing to write about and an editor demanding some copy.

Here's an example

According to MY sources,
The street's the place to go-oh.
Cos tonight for the first time
Just about half past ten
For the first time in histo-oh-ree.
It's gonna start raining men.

That's what my source said. You prove they didn't.

Come off it Bill!!!! Your not so bad yourself when it comes to conjecture!!!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012