Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:08:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: McKays' scheming  (Read 22575 times)

WorcestershireDan

• Forum Member
Re: McKays' scheming
« Reply #60 on October 21, 2011, 10:48:32 am by WorcestershireDan »
My sentiments entirely SiBo, whats happening to our club what about loyalty to our contracted players. RTID but worried.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 21, 2011, 10:51:59 am by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: \"Alex W\" post=192975
Quote from: \"ditch_drfc\" post=192898
You don't sound like much of a Rover fan...

Sooo the question remains... Why are you looking at this forum at 5 in the morning?!

Replying to a message after an off-chance of checking the forum. Plus i'd just seen this story after a friend linked me, thought i'd see what the general opinion was!

I'm intrigued is all.

I'm intrigued as to why you have to come Trolling on here, did you have too much cheese for supper last night?

Al Riggall

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 21, 2011, 10:56:56 am by Al Riggall »
One off the biggest problems in football is how much money agents are taking out of the game. What the board have done here is safeguard rovers from paying any of these fees other than £5k a year. All the money Willie stands to make is from other clubs, this will save us a fortune. If this comes off, it is a master stroke. If it doesn't, the club will have to live at a sustainable level under the previous structure, which is not the Championship. In simple terms be different and stand a chance of being a championship club or go down without a fight.

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 21, 2011, 11:04:55 am by timdrfc »
Quote from: \"Al Riggall\" post=192927
Ok, so a couple of things stand out.

The previous model was unsustainable, we needed to change.

To half the wage bill, without a similar plan would almost certainly resulted in relagation and a poorer player coming to the club.

We will now get to see top quality players at Rovers, at a sustainable cost.

These players are playing for there futures, no one will be interested in them if they do no perform, do not give there all, are part of a losing team or playing crap football.

The difficult part is gelling them together and getting results, we will see what happens, but we definitely had to try something.

Exciting and interesting times.

Agree with your comments above, about time people looked on this with a positive slant rather than negative as usual from some posters on here.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 21, 2011, 11:06:09 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=192985
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=192980
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=192976
Read the article and I am really worried about the future.

No players and come or go for the next two years without Mckays say so?

I think we can kiss goodbye to any permanent transfers for the next few years, and the likes of Sharp will be gone in January.

Frosty something needs to be done we have done the crowds to death and pissed around the subject I know loads of football fans that follow other teams so have to get real and it not our money either.

So we either accept we are a very small team and go down to a level we can mantain or totally be different!

I love watching quality players and the lads we have brought in have performed great so dont see problem?

Get rid of the shit and bring quality in and I tell you what with Deano in charge the man management side is taken care off!

You base that comment on what?

Cos he is an extremely positive thinker and attitude who has given everyone at the club the chance to shine - people will like Hird grab their chance otherwise you can sulk like Copps and JOC .......

People dont like change but YOU HAVE TO GET ON WITH IT!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 21, 2011, 11:07:06 am by tommy toes »
After digesting all this I've also cone to the conclusion that it's a win win situation for us. Let's face it if things were to carry on as they had been, we would be in League 1 next season.
With this plan we should at least be able to maintain our current status.

The improvement we should see from having quality players on the pitch should generate interest in us and get more bums on seats.

If it goes tits up then so be it, but something had to be done and whatever people may think about McKay, he knows what he's no mug and clearly believes this will work.

Hold on tight guys we're in for some fun
 if nowt else.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on October 21, 2011, 11:07:21 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Al Riggall\" post=192990
One off the biggest problems in football is how much money agents are taking out of the game. What the board have done here is safeguard rovers from paying any of these fees other than £5k a year. All the money Willie stands to make is from other clubs, this will save us a fortune. If this comes off, it is a master stroke. If it doesn't, the club will have to live at a sustainable level under the previous structure, which is not the Championship. In simple terms be different and stand a chance of being a championship club or go down without a fight.:woot:

Having thought about this, you make a good point there, McKay is reportedly on a 2 year contract at £100 a week, If DRFC at any point thought that it was n`t working, then they could terminate his contract and the whole episode would cost £10400 to get rid of him, not a great financial gamble in football terms! I still think we`re dicing with the devil though

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on October 21, 2011, 11:08:11 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Anyone who doubts the committment to retaining our own players needs to think of it this way.  Friend, Copps etc all have new contracts.  Bennett and Sullivan that we know of have been offered new deals THIS WEEK.  That to me proves it's about having a core squad supplemented by shorter term players.  I think it'll be the likes of Lockwood, Wilson, Keegan etc who should be worried.  Those who are good enough should not be.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on October 21, 2011, 11:09:57 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=192993

I think we can kiss goodbye to any permanent transfers for the next few years, and the likes of Sharp will be gone in January.

Frosty something needs to be done we have done the crowds to death and pissed around the subject I know loads of football fans that follow other teams so have to get real and it not our money either.

So we either accept we are a very small team and go down to a level we can mantain or totally be different!

I love watching quality players and the lads we have brought in have performed great so dont see problem?

Get rid of the shit and bring quality in and I tell you what with Deano in charge the man management side is taken care off!

Cos he is an extremely positive thinker and attitude who has given everyone at the club the chance to shine - people will like Hird grab their chance otherwise you can sulk like Copps and JOC .......

Do you know him personally< you`re basing you`re assumptions on a bit of lip service on DROS and Radio Sheffield!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 21, 2011, 11:25:25 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=192997
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=192993

Do you know him personally< you`re basing you`re assumptions on a bit of lip service on DROS and Radio Sheffield!

Very much a celebrated part of his character is it not but suggest he will stop at nothing to win which is also a good aspect......

I think media apsects are very important and SOD was dire at this and dont you often think .....\"Christ if he talks like this in the dressing room no wonder they are not up for it!\"

I dont know him but merely using this forum to air my opinion ....what your thoughts on him?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on October 21, 2011, 11:33:27 am by Filo »
I have no thoughts on him, he`s not been here long enough to gauge an opinion!

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 21, 2011, 11:35:04 am by rtid88 »
Deano said it himself last night that he has the ear and respect of every Premier League manager. This is not something we had with SOD, lets all just get on with it and leave JR & Deano to it! JR will not sit back if he does not agree with something! Deano is the manager at the end of the day and the one picking the team not McKay! If we sign some of these players it does not mean we have to play them! To be fair though Ilunga & Chimbonda sounded like they were awesome against Blackpool so what we moaning at!!!!

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 21, 2011, 11:44:59 am by BRMC_rover »
Only his uncanny resemblance to Steve Evans makes me uneasy. I think its a great opportunity to consolidate our position in this league. After 7 games of this season I was not optimistic for the remaining 39 games at all but this gives us hope. Who else (competitive players) could we seriously bring in with a normal transfer policy that would fit the business plan of reducing the wage bill from 8m per year to 4m?

VikingJames

« Reply #73 on October 21, 2011, 11:54:42 am by VikingJames »
Although this does concern me a bit, I can see the positives.

Hopefully this technique will just be used to support our best players. I.e, keep Sharp, Copps, Bennett, Stock etc on board, and just fill the fringes of the squad with these players. If the intention is to have an entirely different squad from top to bottom every year, then it's a big worry.

Wait and see I suppose.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 21, 2011, 11:56:58 am by sedwardsdrfc »
not sure you can count copps at this moment he has got it in him though

SiBo

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on October 21, 2011, 12:00:53 pm by SiBo »
It would be interesting to know what the club are defining as 'success' now. Is staying in the division a success? Is getting into the play offs and not getting promoted (a la Cardiff and Forest)a success? McKay says he's here for two years, if we aren't in the Premier League by the end of that time, where will the finger be pointed? Would they / can they sack DS? Who would make that decision on whether it was felt DS was getting the best out of the players at his disposal? If we win every game and go racing to the top of the league no questions to answer. But with the likes of West Ham and Southampton to beat to the top two places, play-offs are the more realistic ambition. McKay says himself we're not a threat to West Ham. So many questions still not answered!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 21, 2011, 12:20:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
think we should not be expecting promotion staying up would be a sucsess even more so if the wage budget is cut in half. also is there something in the lack of news about the mansfield game which woods played 70min mabe a lot of trialists and wanting 2 keep it under raps or more likley rubbis website

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on October 21, 2011, 12:24:54 pm by Wild Rover »
My only concern about all this is what happens if other agents ( or same one ) get into bed with other clubs and do the same thing. Bristol City, Watford, well almost any championship club. The available player pool shrinks, those that are may well choose another club to \"Shopwindow\" themselves.

It appears to be a win win situation, but thats primerily because only DRFC are currently involved. I hope JR has patented the idea.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 21, 2011, 12:52:00 pm by Donnybob »
WE currently have 39 players listed on the Rovers' web site including the loan stars. Let's just work with round numbers and call it 36. In simplistic terms we need to cut this in half, ie, down to 18 if we are to half the wage bill to £4M.

But it's not that simple, is it? Our better players earn far more than the youngsters so we could get rid of the top earners and keep a squad (admittedly a weak and inexperienced one) of 24 players or we could just keep the cream of the crop, keeping say a dozen players, supplimented by loanees.

39 does seem an awful lot when we don't have a reserve team, I'll admit. But which do we get rid of - the cream or the milk? And if it's the milk then will there really be a long queue of clubs out there demanding their services? January is normally a quieter market than the summer one and I cannot see many Championship clubs stepping in to help us.

I'm guessing our only activity in the January market will be as a selling club and mainly to the lower leagues. There's no way in the world we will be buying, surely?

AS for loaning out our own players, can you imagine the response we're likely to get from clubs. Well mate, if you're only paying Tevez £2K a week there's no way we're paying more than ten bob for Sharp... :blush:

I'd say the fire sale starts in January, one way or another. Everything must go?

Hold on to your seats folks because this ride hasn't even begun yet.

Alex W

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 21, 2011, 01:02:16 pm by Alex W »
Quote from: \"Sprotyrover\" post=192989
Quote from: \"Alex W\" post=192975
Quote from: \"ditch_drfc\" post=192898
You don't sound like much of a Rover fan...

Sooo the question remains... Why are you looking at this forum at 5 in the morning?!

Replying to a message after an off-chance of checking the forum. Plus i'd just seen this story after a friend linked me, thought i'd see what the general opinion was!

I'm intrigued is all.

I'm intrigued as to why you have to come Trolling on here, did you have too much cheese for supper last night?

What part of my post was trolling? I'm a sports writer by trade, I was interested. It's a novel idea, just added my opinion is all.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on October 21, 2011, 01:02:25 pm by The Red Baron »
39? I make it 28 plus 4 loans (including Kirkland). Of those 28 two are out on loan.

The 28:

Neil SULLIVAN
Gary WOODS
James O'CONNOR
George FRIEND
Shelton MARTIS
Richard NAYLOR
Sam HIRD
Mustapha DUMBUYA
Rachid BOUHENNA
Pascal CHIMBONDA
Brian STOCK
Mark WILSON
John OSTER
Simon GILLETT
James BAXENDALE
James COPPINGER
Giles BARNES
Kyle BENNETT
Billy SHARP
James HAYTER
James CHAMBERS
Martin WOODS
Chris BROWN
Adam LOCKWOOD
Tommy SPURR
Paul KEEGAN
Oscar RADFORD
Dean SHIELS

I'm not counting youth players like Ball, Wilding, Lucas or Maxted.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 21, 2011, 02:41:53 pm by Donnybob »
Do apologise if I'm wrong. I took the number from the club's official web site players' profile page:

Link

Scroll down the players list and you'll see Pascal Chimbonda is player number 39.

Surely the club's web site wouldn't get it wrong?

Well, then again... :S

If you wish to ignore certain players on the list then it all gets a lot easier. Just decide which £4M worth of what's left you'd like to get rid of. Top third or bottom two thirds? Pretty much adds up to the same I guess.

I suspect offloading £4M off the wage bill in double quick time will be a mammoth task, even if you cancel the contracts and give the players away. Can it really be that easy?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on October 21, 2011, 02:45:07 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Donnybob\" post=193054
Do apologise if I'm wrong. I took the number from the club's official web site players' profile page:

Link

Scroll down the players list and you'll see Pascal Chimbonda is player number 39.

If you wish to ignore certain players on the list then it all gets a lot easier. Just decide which £4M worth of what's left you'd like to get rid of. Top third or bottom two thirds? Pretty much adds up to the same I guess.

I suspect offloading £4M off the wage bill in double quick time will be a mammoth task, even if you cancel the contracts and give the players away. Can it really be that easy?

Have you counted the players? Just because Chimbonda is number 39, doesn't mean we have 39 players in the squad. There are gaps if you actually look!

Al Riggall

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on October 21, 2011, 02:51:58 pm by Al Riggall »
Donnbob, no it won't be easy. We are left with an £8m problem from the old strategy / regime we cannot afford. The fact is we need to start addressing the issue and you have to start some time, like now. I am sure WMs remit will be outs as well as ins.

Relagation with a fixed £8m wage bill would be a disaster, relagation under the new strategy although not ideal, would not put the long term future of the club in danger.

VikingJames

« Reply #84 on October 21, 2011, 03:08:12 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Donnybob\" post=193054

Link

Haven't you noticed that nobody has numbers 27, 28, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37 or 38? :facepalm:

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on October 21, 2011, 03:10:48 pm by Donnybob »
Agree with that Riggall, but it's not an unfair question to ask 'how?'

No-one will queue up to take the injured. No-one wants the kids. Does anyone want to sign a player who can't get in the first team of a club in the relegation zone.

However, folk have made offers for Sharp, Coppinger and Stock in the past year. If an agent's job is to reduce the wage bill by half then that's his easiest route to market. If he spends three months trying to shift the deadbeats then he won't be spending that time recruiting galacticos.

I'm 100 per cent behind cutting the wage bill in half. I'm 100% behind having a reserve team and a youth team and a tea lady. But I can see how these ideas make as much financial sense as when my missus decides to cut back the money she spends on buying shoes.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on October 21, 2011, 03:27:11 pm by DearneValleyRover »
The wage bill includes coaching and other staff. Deano has stated that there are too many of these and already has made changes.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on October 21, 2011, 03:38:56 pm by The L J Monk »
How do Barnsley survive at this level?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on October 21, 2011, 03:41:47 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=193071

By having a crook for a chairman and by doing deals with agents that we wouldn't have done in the past. Our new way of doing things is out in the open, other Clubs will be doing far dodgier things than what we are proposing but aren't as open.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on October 21, 2011, 03:42:59 pm by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=193071

They had a couple of Cup runs and Cryne helped em with loans but I think they are struggling this year hence having to sell Shackle.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012