Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:36:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Give Saunders time  (Read 4323 times)

I-was-there1976

Give Saunders time
« on October 22, 2011, 04:39:15 pm by I-was-there1976 »
He's got to get used to his new players

He's got to get the players to bond and play as a team

He needs to know their weaknesses and their strengths

Repeat every 3 months

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
Re: Give Saunders time
« Reply #1 on October 22, 2011, 05:03:15 pm by monkeytennis »
Quote from: \"I-was-there1976\" post=193406
He's got to get used to his new players

He's got to get the players to bond and play as a team

He needs to know their weaknesses and their strengths

Repeat every 3 months

:thumbsup:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 22, 2011, 05:08:06 pm by Wellred »
Remind me someone please. How long did it take the previous Manager to start getting things right.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 22, 2011, 05:09:49 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193418
Remind me someone please. How long did it take the previous Manager to start getting things right.

Well if I remember rightly, he didn't in almost an entire year.

Some people have short memories on here...... :blink:

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 22, 2011, 05:29:47 pm by FuzzyDuck »
I think you will find that he won the JPT in his first season.  Some people have failing memories on here :S

Not having a go at Deano though.  The  stupid strategy hasn't started yet really either,So can't have a go at anything.  Frustrating evening!:cry:

SiBo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 22, 2011, 05:35:56 pm by SiBo »
And at least he did have a sustainable long term strategy that was he knew he was working towards even if it did leave  us a bit baffled at times! How can DS possibly have any sort of strategy when he has little idea of who is going to be coming in and how he is going to balance the squad?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 22, 2011, 05:36:51 pm by Wellred »
Yet more b******s

SiBo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 22, 2011, 05:41:15 pm by SiBo »
And another considered well thought out argument Wellred.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 22, 2011, 05:44:06 pm by Wellred »
After your totally ridiculous post it didn't need too much thought actually.
I thought my reply was totally accurate and reflected your thoughts very well. Why use lots of words when one sums it up?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 22, 2011, 05:48:23 pm by Barmby Rover »
The team seems to be trying to play long ball to a striker that works with his feet and is not 6 feet 10. In the three games before the break the team was really being picked by Micky and they were playing under the SOD system. Nice to see the new broom working, but as the title goes, give it time. It will take a drastic change of personnel to do it, It just depends on how far behind we are by the January window when half the squad leaves and are replaced by whatever Mr.McKay brings in.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 22, 2011, 05:55:52 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Barmby Rover\" post=193432
The team seems to be trying to play long ball to a striker that works with his feet and is not 6 feet 10. In the three games before the break the team was really being picked by Micky and they were playing under the SOD system. Nice to see the new broom working, but as the title goes, give it time. It will take a drastic change of personnel to do it, It just depends on how far behind we are by the January window when half the squad leaves and are replaced by whatever Mr.McKay brings in.

We did not play long ball to a lone striker at Blackpool. Did we today?
Why have you got tthis obsession that half the squad are going to leave in January? Where are they going to go? Are we just going to pay them off and say bye bye?
Yawnnnnnn another one who can't get over their hero going.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 22, 2011, 06:04:10 pm by albie »
Post match interview;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/doncaster/9622198.stm

Puzzled me when he says he has given everyone a go, except Muzzy and Mason?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 22, 2011, 06:06:18 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"albie\" post=193439
Post match interview;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/doncaster/9622198.stm

Puzzled me when he says he has given everyone a go, except Muzzy and Mason?

Mason hasn't been 100% fit and he doesn't see Mussy as a defender.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 22, 2011, 06:07:24 pm by Pintolager »
I've been listening to Radio Sheffield since 5 and the reporter said on there that Copps recently said in an interview that it will probably take months not weeks to turn things round at the club. Saunders does need time and whatever we think of the whole situation of his appointment, coupled with McKay coming in, we do have to be patient. This season, just like the last is about survival and we just have to see what happens. How many people on here are true supporters? There are too many who dislike something and that's it, their minds are made up.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 22, 2011, 06:18:35 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193435

Why have you got tthis obsession that half the squad are going to leave in January? Where are they going to go? Are we just going to pay them off and say bye bye?

Well....based on the fact that the smiling gimp himself said if players were not pulling their weight then he would 'bomb them out'. So surely he himslef will be ejecting a number of players in January....unless of course you can add liar to the list of unfavourable qualities that sum up Saunders??

I-was-there1976

« Reply #15 on October 22, 2011, 06:21:21 pm by I-was-there1976 »
well some players will have to leave because the wage bill is getting cut in half. Either that or the lovely players all agreee to a wage cut

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 22, 2011, 06:25:35 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=193444

Well....based on the fact that the smiling gimp himself said if players were not pulling their weight then he would 'bomb them out'. So surely he himslef will be ejecting a number of players in January....unless of course you can add liar to the list of unfavourable qualities that sum up Saunders??

So presumably you would be quite happy with players who don't pull their weight?

If you are so annoyed at what is happening at the club and so anti Dean Saunders why don't you go support some other club.

Or  you could stop being a first class pillock and get behind the chairman, manager and players.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 22, 2011, 06:31:56 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193447

So presumably you would be quite happy with players who don't pull their weight?

If you are so annoyed at what is happening at the club and so anti Dean Saunders why don't you go support some other club.

Or  you could stop being a first class pillock and get behind the chairman, manager and players.

Make your mind up....you basically said in the post before that players will be going nowhere in January (and this despite the statement we are set to half our wage bill).

As for the red highlighted section.....talk about hypocritical with your numerous boring repetitive statements aimed at the O Driscoll regime.

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 22, 2011, 06:32:41 pm by madmick50 »
I'll give Saunders till Xmas when the panic button will be pressed again and he will be gone. The Mckay transfer/loan signings experiment will end in total disaster. How can any team spirit be generated when all the current players must be feeling that it is only a matter of time before some big star comes in to replace them. The big star will be around for maybe 6 months and then they will be gone as well. What an absolute joke. relegation here we come. Bring back SO'D!!!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 22, 2011, 06:37:48 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=193448
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193447

Make your mind up....you basically said in the post before that players will be going nowhere in January (and this despite the statement we are set to half our wage bill).

As for the red highlighted section.....talk about hypocritical with your numerous boring repetitive statements aimed at the O Driscoll regime.

There is one big difference however.

I DID GIVE SOD A CHANCE. UNLIKE YOU CRITICISING SAUNDERS FROM WEEK 1.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 22, 2011, 06:51:29 pm by grayx »
After listening to his post-match interview, I still like what I hear. At least he's not afraid to criticise the players lack of desire when the going gets tough. I agreed with just about everything he said and if HE is allowed to bring in players that HE wants then I think we'l be ok.

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 22, 2011, 06:58:06 pm by madmick50 »
Bringing in a load of big time mostly foreign Charlies for short spells is going to destroy any possibility of building team spirit. Coupled with the fact he always criticizes the players after a game and is incapable of coaching the defence to play better than a Sunday League team spells disaster. I've noticed he never takes any of the blame himself.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 22, 2011, 07:06:32 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"madmick50\" post=193458
Bringing in a load of big time mostly foreign Charlies for short spells is going to destroy any possibility of building team spirit. Coupled with the fact he always criticizes the players after a game and is incapable of coaching the defence to play better than a Sunday League team spells disaster. I've noticed he never takes any of the blame himself.

Can you tell us what team spirit was there before? He has had how many weeks to coach the worst defence in the league?
The players might not like it but if they do not perform then they deserve criticism.
They have had it too good for too long.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 22, 2011, 07:15:32 pm by Guernsey Exile »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193461
Quote from: \"madmick50\" post=193458

Can you tell us what team spirit was there before? He has had how many weeks to coach the worst defence in the league?
The players might not like it but if they do not perform then they deserve criticism.
They have had it too good for too long.
[/u][/b]

and for me thats massive - The cotton wool needs to come off - some of the current squad just arent good enough.........How long have we had to justify these performances, these results that will get better........one day -Saunders, Ryan, the players and the board have my complete backing!!!!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 22, 2011, 09:29:10 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=193419
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193418

Well if I remember rightly, he didn't in almost an entire year.

Some people have short memories on here...... :blink:

The underlying difference being when the last manager took the reigns we weren't bottom of the league, and we were considered a mid-table team; that allowed him to \"sacrifice\" games to try out new things and although most of us were in truth dissapointed that our play off hopes that season were lost when we lost 2-1 at home to Millwall.

Of course there were bad times, Blackpool away is to name but a few, but can anyone look at the 3-0 against Huddersfield, the 2-2 against Scunthorpe and the 3-2 against Crewe at home, Forest home and away and even the 3-2 result against Rotherham and say that SOD was a man who didn't know what he was doing. That isn't even to mention the JPT which no matter how you look at it now; was a big deal. Most people were against him from the off because either:

1) He wasn't Dave Penney; or
2) He wasn't Kevin Keegan

Of course this post is gonna get the usual \"get over it, SOD is gone\" but this is not a post supporting him, but one showing the differences in what is happening here, and the best way to compare is to compare him against the past manager.

To compare Saunders as a manager we could compare how long it took him to get it working at Wrexham:

1st season; arrived mid season and was expected to be promoted. Finished 10th
2nd Season; same expectation. Finished 11th
3rd Season; 4th
4th season; before leaving; 1st

Make from that above what you will, but if we can't compare him to last manager and we can't compare him from his previous job because \"resources were limited at Wrexham\" how can we make a judgement to give ourself an idea of how long this is going to take.

It's all fine and dandy asking to give time, but he was brought in to save our season NOW. If we are relegated would you say \"It's not DS's fault, he is still getting to know the team\" He was brought in to make an immediate impact, of course he deserves time, but as many said against the previous regime; it is a results business.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 22, 2011, 09:34:05 pm by Barmby Rover »
\"but as the title goes, give it time. It will take a drastic change of personnel to do it, It just depends on how far behind we are by the January window when half the squad leaves and are replaced by whatever Mr.McKay brings in.\"

I am not saying get rid of DS, but given the policy that McKay has for the future of Rovers others will have to go to make way for them. If we are going to bring in 6/8/10 foreign/French/ International players then it is inevitable.Whether it is right or wrong will show in the results we get. Think about the position of the players though, they know that they are to be replaced, would they put every effort into the club, or be looking for their own futures?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 22, 2011, 10:01:10 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"Barmby Rover\" post=193494
\"but as the title goes, give it time. It will take a drastic change of personnel to do it, It just depends on how far behind we are by the January window when half the squad leaves and are replaced by whatever Mr.McKay brings in.\"

I am not saying get rid of DS, but given the policy that McKay has for the future of Rovers others will have to go to make way for them. If we are going to bring in 6/8/10 foreign/French/ International players then it is inevitable.Whether it is right or wrong will show in the results we get. Think about the position of the players though, they know that they are to be replaced, would they put every effort into the club, or be looking for their own futures?
[/color]

Now you have pointed out the problem that imo is there, he (DS) will have to work alot harder to get these players OUR players playing once again with confidence and that comes with security. He needs to shut his mouth, stop being so direct and do his bollockings on a 1-1 basis not on Radio Deedar. If there is a morale problem it won't be solved by humiliating our contracted players in the 'soundbites' that I've heard of anyway.
Imagine that your boss suggested that he might be drafting someone in to take your job..............what would you think and what would be your morale ?

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 22, 2011, 10:19:43 pm by madmick50 »
How anyone could think that the Mckay policy would be anything other than disastrous for the club is beyond me. Successful teams have a good team spirit and a good morale. Having new players coming in all the time for short periods is not going to create this situation. It is going to create the opposite effect. The existing players are going to feel unsettled and will not be in the right frame of mind to perform well on the pitch.  Add this to a manager with no league experience who always publicly criticizes the players after a game and relegation is a certainty. Rovers are turning into a laughing stock.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 23, 2011, 12:19:49 am by RoversAlias »
Me and Wellred have had our disagreements in the last 24 hours and by no means do I agree with everything he is saying here but he is right in that people shouldn't just write off Dean Saunders now. I am voicing my view on this forum that, in my personal opinion, the McKay deal is not going to reap dividends and the risks and potential problems it could cause worry me. But Saunders obviously needs time. How much time? Croft makes a good point in saying that he was brought in to turn it around as quickly as possible, and if everybody is buying into the \"everyone is disloyal and corrupt, let's join the crew\" philosophy, then we should all join the \"the manager has been here 2 months and we're still crap, let's sack him!\" philosophy that is so prevelant in the football league today. Right?

I must say some of the concerns raised - never blaming himself for the bad results, being too direct about what he says to the press regarding the team - were problems that Wrexham fans told us when we took him from them.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 23, 2011, 02:39:44 am by Jonathan »
Saunders gets indefinite time from me. He's only the manager in title, he's not allowed to fully manage. McKay is the actual manager, Saunders just the peace keeper and public front.

We're a laughing stock with this ridiculous outlook. I feel sorry for Saunders, promising young manager with his hands tied even tighter behind his back than the last one.

If it works then fair play to McKay for keeping us up, but the whole thing's not for me. I'm entitled to my opinion, I've supported the club both in spirit and finance for over 20 years, right now I feel as distanced from it all as I ever have, even during the Richardson regime, albeit for different reasons. I'm not drawing any further comparisons as of course we're better off now, but as far as I'm concerned I feel totally disiullusioned with the whole plan we have at present. I'm entitled to that feeling and I know for a fact I'm not the only one.

If we fill the ground and make the money out of the current plan then fair enough - NOBODY can complain. We are evolving and revolving, we're trying to attract fans that like names and drama, we're not fussed about the affinity that people had before. Cohesion and spirit is absent from this plan, it's business not a club - not a criticism but an observation. My affinity is disappearing with this strategy and I make no apology for that - I am entitled to my own view as much as anyone.

Good luck Willie, Dick and John if they continue to drag you along. John Ryan deserves success from this club more than anyone. It's not important if he f**ks off some of the original supporters in the process, he deserves a full stadium and if he gets it then fair play, but if we contiue with this blueprint then my time of being amongst them is done.

If I wanted to crack one off over famous names I'd have supported a top club. As it happens I bought into a team, my team, even if we were shit (which we often were) they were still my team. It doesn't feel like that anymore. Fair play to the people that went to Portsmouth, I respect them all, I didn't and the defeat barely even hurt which put the writing on the wall for me personally.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012