Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:10:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best and worst away day in the Championship?  (Read 2331 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Best and worst away day in the Championship?
« on October 23, 2011, 10:22:25 am by Padge_DRFC »
What does everyone think and why?

I'll start off.

Best - Peterbrough, cheap train tickets, pubs and terracing.

Worst - Leeds - rubbish ground, crap views of game, train full of bin kickers, pubs available only to the Beeston mob.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Al4475

• VSC Member
Re: Best and worst away day in the Championship?
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2011, 10:31:18 am by Al4475 »
BEST: Cardiff - Great stadium, cracking atmosphere, lovely city for a night out with the Mrs, some great restaurants, and decently priced hotels.

WORST: Burnley - always seems a drag to get across and up there, weather generally seems bleak, one of those places I simply don't really like! Is it just me or does the game up there tend to be played on a damp, dark cold Autumn Tuesday night?

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 23, 2011, 01:12:48 pm by Pintolager »
Best - Derby, not far on the train, decent pubs and good atmosphere.

Worst - Crystal Palace, typical of London imo, unfriendly horrible place and a nightmare to get to.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 23, 2011, 01:15:13 pm by RedJ »
Best - Peterborough, most fun I've had at football in years, cheap, friendly folk, not a shit hole.

Worst - either Palace or Burnley, both awful places, both rubbish stadiums in my opinion (although Palace edge this on Sellhurst Park), both depressing to be at, and not really met any nice folk from either of the two clubs.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 23, 2011, 04:07:48 pm by wilts rover »
Best - quite enjoy going to Portsmouth, trip round the Victory & dockyards, very friendly folks, even if our peformance yesterday was dire

Worst - Ipswich, how much is it again to sit in a chicken shed with aview from behind the corner flag?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 23, 2011, 04:51:59 pm by benaldo »
Best - Derby. Fantastic ground, much better than most in the league.
Worst - Glanford park...holy moly, that place takes you back to the miners strikes for pure dour, grey, miserableness.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 23, 2011, 05:13:02 pm by bobjimwilly »
Best - I like going to Glanford park! Closest ground to where I live, easy to get to, close to action and always seem to win when I go :thumbsup:

Worst - Agree with burnley :cold:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 23, 2011, 05:29:40 pm by hoolahoop »
Best- I like Derby too for all the reasons mentioned above.

Worst- Close run thing here Leeds (poor views, crumbling stadium and NOT a day out)
       City Ground.....(I detest the fans , place , travel and stadium.)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 23, 2011, 06:03:39 pm by Padge_DRFC »
So far looks like the people of Doncaster aren't going to have a nice boxing day this year then.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 24, 2011, 05:56:15 am by philsky »
I can be quite specific hear

Best - Leeds away 1-0

Worst - 3-4 Reading

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 24, 2011, 08:11:10 am by inSODwetrust »
Best - Posh for the reasons you stated above or Blunts because straight on't train at Kirk Sandall, straight through to Sheff and straight into The Howard, then a 10 min ish walk to ground!

Worst- Coventry and Reading, 2 over sized grounds plonked in the middle of an industrial estate with nothing to do except walk around Tesco! Also the Nazi-like stewards at Reading are first class tw@ts!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 24, 2011, 08:11:56 am by Donnywolf »
Best (actual) Derby 0-1 a great result in a great Stadium and the Green balloons still live in the memory and were a very touching tribute to Greeny

Worst (actual) Bramall Lane where normal people cannot fit in the seats properly - such poxy legroom. The result was good but they will not get another penny from me till I hear I have half a chance of sitting in semi comfort

Mark Mccammon

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 24, 2011, 08:28:31 am by Mark Mccammon »
Braintree is a good day out for all you Mark 'Big Mac' McCammon fans! If you don't fancy that I suggest Armthorpe Welfare to see Leo Fortune-West!

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 24, 2011, 09:07:54 am by andysly »
Best: Peterborough and Derby for reasons as above but I think the 2-0 game at derby was best because of copps 2nd goal in last minute after we'd been under pressure for half an hour. Brilliant.

Worst: On one game its the Barnsley 1-4 game when they only had 10 men. But for all round wretchedness of a day out maybe Coventry - middle of nowhere always lose to a poxy goal after bossing game- no pubs within 20 minutes or more. Palace was also dire.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 24, 2011, 06:17:01 pm by Donnywolf »
Quote from: \"andysly\" post=193854

Worst: Coventry - middle of nowhere always lose to a poxy goal after bossing game- no pubs within 20 minutes or more. Palace was also dire.

.... not exactly true because you can eat and drink all the way there if you use the Narrow Boat ! You get to park for free at the starting point (A pub - The Snake in the grass !!!) then chug to the game and back

I KID YOU NOT .... here is the proof

http://www.covsf.com/coventrian/water-taxi.html

CHEERS

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 24, 2011, 06:33:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Best - Peterborough, Nottingham, Barnsley (not for Barnsley but the pre match session in Sheffield then on to Emmerdale.

Worst - Leeds, Burnley, Reading (the only ground without a proper pub within 90 miles of the ground).

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 24, 2011, 06:47:25 pm by Scooter »
Best - Brighton (Amex) - Good stadium, bad result but by far the best pies in football.

Worst - Brighton (Withdean) - miles from the action. (I know - we didn't play at the withdean in the championship but i've included it anyway!)It was only just a step up from cantley park. Also Bramall Lane - looks ok but the most cramped seats i have ever experienced.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012