Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:07:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp.  (Read 4518 times)

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
Billy Sharp.
« on October 23, 2011, 07:18:14 pm by donnygreenjeans »
I'm surprised that nobody who went to the game yesterday has mentioned how Billy Sharp throughout the entire game looked dis-interested, he played like he did against Leeds, you would have thought his confidence would have been high after scoring in midweek.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
Re: Billy Sharp.
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2011, 07:32:17 pm by keepmoatman »
overated and getting more an more lazy imo :chair:

willie will sort it :woot:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 23, 2011, 07:47:37 pm by Jonathan »
Unfortunately I'd be surprised if he's still here in February.

Would be a big shame too as he has an affinity with the fans, especially the younger generation, and that's hard to put a price on.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 23, 2011, 07:58:19 pm by Berkshire Rover »
personally, I thought he was more frustrated than disinterested, he just didn't get any service the way he likes it, so he got frustrated that's all.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 23, 2011, 08:01:44 pm by Mr1Croft »
The problem is any offers over £1 million and Saunders will think he's playing Monopoly, and with the current financial plan to cut the wage bill in half, can the club afford to refuse any offer around £2 million?

It comes back to the old debate whether we would have been better off replacing Mills/Shackell instead of buying Sharp...

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 23, 2011, 08:41:21 pm by MrFrost »
Sharp will be gone in the January transfer window, with others, that i'm sure of.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 23, 2011, 08:51:50 pm by mushRTID »
Im really starting to feel uncomfortable about all this nonsense now.

Billy will be gone. If its true we have to cut the wage bill to 4m then I imagine there will be a point where the board/mckay think a) 2m into the club for Billy b) Mckay promises some joker from france is a good relacement and before you know it we have just swapped 10k wages for 2k.

It stinks and although the plan didnt sound too bad when I first read it, now the dust is settling I am concerned.

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 23, 2011, 09:37:11 pm by john_donc857 »
Did the board not accept an offer for billy off southampton in the summer. From were i'm sat we've got more chance of keeping billy with mckay on board. Once deano gets rid of of all the fringe players inherited of S.O.D that are no were near good enough that should save us a few quid. What do martin woods and james chambers command in wages between them over a season. i'm guessing well over half million. How much football have we had from these 2 over the past 12 months. It should'nt be to difficult to lose a couple of million off the wage bill. Lets not forget it was sean who built up the 8 million wage bill but could'nt deliver the goods

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #8 on October 23, 2011, 09:40:55 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Billy is showing his disatifacton in what has been a sad affair , i doubt if he and others wanted to see SOD go , and by the way he and others are not playing , makes me feel he is not happy at the new appointment. Oster for one is just not trying. I can see this episode all going pear shaped , if J/R does not step in and talk to the players , they need reassuring that it is just a transition and not a an excercise in down sizing with  relegation in mind.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 23, 2011, 09:44:58 pm by wilts rover »
He was as frustrated as the fans dont you think? How did you feel watching the comedy defending in the first 10-15 minutes and the second touch is a tackle attempts to go forward. I remember one throw in on our side, Chimbonda can see Barnes and Gillett marked by 4 Portsmouth players - everyone else stood and watched as we gave the ball back to them. I dont like it, I think he should work harder to try and change things rather than moan about them, but I can understand it.

What concerned me most is that he and Bennett dont seem to get on, it did seem that if at all possible Bennett wouldn't pass to Sharp - or if he did he put it 3 yards infront of him so he couldn't get it. Maybe Kyle thinks he is our new star player - maybe thats his excuse for not bothering to tackle?

On the form he is in at the moment Billy Sharp wouldn't get in any Championship squad never mind team, that may change by January - but don't go out spending that £1m just yet.

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 23, 2011, 09:55:46 pm by john_donc857 »
Quote from: \"Rovin Reporter\" post=193768
Billy is showing his disatifacton in what has been a sad affair , i doubt if he and others wanted to see SOD go , and by the way he and others are not playing , makes me feel he is not happy at the new appointment. Oster for one is just not trying. I can see this episode all going pear shaped , if J/R does not step in and talk to the players , they need reassuring that it is just a transition and not a an excercise in down sizing with  relegation in mind.
                                                                                      I'm sorry but i don't believe that for one minute. Billy and the rest of the lads were outstanding during the week at blackpool so i doubt the performance had anything to do with the sacking of S.O.D. It can only be expected that deano wants to look at all the players and try different things with them. Billy needs to realise this and adapt to it for the good of the team. Osters been crap all season

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2011, 10:54:28 pm by RoversAlias »
Right now the team just isn't playing to Billy's strengths. I don't know if that's down to the coaching staff or the players, but it desperately needs addressing. I wouldn't blame Sharp one bit for wanting a move in January if it continues, he cannot be expected to continue playing to get 4-5 touches a game and a load of hopeless punts forward from the back line.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2011, 11:58:08 pm by Mr1Croft »
I think the players are reverting to hoof ball in a sarcastic way of putting their veiws across that we can't play a normal formation with normal football because quite simply; we can't.

People kept saying SOD lost the dressing room before he was sacked and that you could see it on the pitch; if that is the case what on earth are we seeing now?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 24, 2011, 07:06:15 am by The Red Baron »
Since he's come back into the side, Billy has hardly (if at all) had Hayter playing at the same time. Get those two back together and you'll see a different (and much better) Billy Sharp.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 24, 2011, 07:12:30 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
End of the day it should not be that way.  Billy gets paid enough and is supposedly good enough to play at the highest level.  At the highest level you should adapt to any scenario, from what I've seen Billy has to play a certain way or not at all.

It's all well and good saying the defending was poor but the forward players have to improve their ability to hold the ball, something I mentioned in another thread.  The amount of times the ball wasn't held up properly was harsh on the defence, they can only hold out so long and the ball kept being pumped back at them.  Billy wasn't winning that battle with the defender and seamt to give up.

As for him and Bennett, well Kyle did try and give him the ball (who played Sharp in for the one on one against Blackpool again?)  But equally how often do they criticised for not shooting.  Bennett had a shot and got moaned at, he misplaced a pass through and got shouted at for not shooting.  The lad will make mistakes he's 20 years old and won't always pick the right option.

Billy is part of the team and has a responsibility to do a job for the team not for himself.  On the whole he does do that, but the forwards are part of the defence aswell, something we had a huge problem with last year was our inability to have an outball, again on Saturday that crept in as Billy completely lost the battle against the centre half.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 24, 2011, 08:03:18 am by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=193825
End of the day it should not be that way.  Billy gets paid enough and is supposedly good enough to play at the highest level.  At the highest level you should adapt to any scenario, from what I've seen Billy has to play a certain way or not at all.

You're 100% correct pudding, but we knew this before we bought him - it's what Blunts fans were saying for donkeys. If you've got a million pound striker, and he can only play one way to score goals, then play that way so he can score the goals I say! :whistle:

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 24, 2011, 08:05:48 am by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"donnygreenjeans\" post=193720
I'm surprised that nobody who went to the game yesterday has mentioned how Billy Sharp throughout the entire game looked dis-interested, he played like he did against Leeds, you would have thought his confidence would have been high after scoring in midweek.

I've said it all season, but say a bad word against him and you get scoweled at! £3.25Million offer from Southampton seems an even better offer the more I think about it!

Mark Mccammon

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 24, 2011, 08:26:39 am by Mark Mccammon »
Mark 'Big Mac' McCammon is better!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 24, 2011, 08:31:18 am by vaya »
Quote from: \"Mark Mccammon\" post=193843

I've come to the conclusion this is actually Mark McCammon, in an Owen Hargreaves-style attempt to get a contract.

Good on you Mark.

Mark Mccammon

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 24, 2011, 08:36:36 am by Mark Mccammon »
Quote from: \"vaya\" post=193847

I've come to the conclusion this is actually Mark McCammon, in an Owen Hargreaves-style attempt to get a contract.Good on you Mark.

Put a treadmill in front of me and I'll run on it all day! Also I'm hoping if I did ever get offered a contract with DRFC again that I could draw up a clause in my contract which would allow Willie Mckay to get me flights to Barbados whenever I wanted!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 24, 2011, 10:22:50 am by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"Mark Mccammon\" post=193848
Quote from: \"vaya\" post=193847

I've come to the conclusion this is actually Mark McCammon, in an Owen Hargreaves-style attempt to get a contract.Good on you Mark.

Put a treadmill in front of me and I'll run on it all day! Also I'm hoping if I did ever get offered a contract with DRFC again that I could draw up a clause in my contract which would allow Willie Mckay to get me flights to Barbados whenever I wanted!

not being disrespectful or anything but he only deals in PL players. Yeh OK, I am being disrespectful!

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 24, 2011, 02:02:30 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
What concerned me most is that he and Bennett dont seem to get on, it did seem that if at all possible Bennett wouldn't pass to Sharp - or if he did he put it 3 yards infront of him so he couldn't get it. Maybe Kyle thinks he is our new star player - maybe thats his excuse for not bothering to tackle?

[/quote]

I'm glad you made that comment Wilts.
I was sat there on Saturday thinking the same thing, but hoping I was reading too much into the situation.

There doesn't seem much team camaradarie either. Goals are hardly being celebrated and even at Posh, the players didn't really acknowledge the supporters until after the final whistle.

There appears to be a lot of players with \"attitude\" currently, which is incredible when most of them appear (whilst on the pitch) not to able to fight their way out of paper bag at the moment.

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 24, 2011, 02:42:51 pm by ljm-drfc »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=193769
He was as frustrated as the fans dont you think? How did you feel watching the comedy defending in the first 10-15 minutes and the second touch is a tackle attempts to go forward. I remember one throw in on our side, Chimbonda can see Barnes and Gillett marked by 4 Portsmouth players - everyone else stood and watched as we gave the ball back to them. I dont like it, I think he should work harder to try and change things rather than moan about them, but I can understand it.

On the form he is in at the moment Billy Sharp wouldn't get in any Championship squad never mind team, that may change by January - but don't go out spending that £1m just yet.

They love eachother really...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 24, 2011, 02:59:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"AbsolutDRFC\" post=193901
There doesn't seem much team camaradarie either. Goals are hardly being celebrated and even at Posh, the players didn't really acknowledge the supporters until after the final whistle.

There appears to be a lot of players with \"attitude\" currently, which is incredible when most of them appear (whilst on the pitch) not to able to fight their way out of paper bag at the moment.

I'd disagree on the goals front, the celebrations at Posh were with the fans no doubt, just watch the higlights for proof of that.

Have to agree there is an attitude but is that a negative?  SUrely they just want to win, I'd rather see them playing with passion than not looking too bothered.  At Blackpool they all looked like it hurt and that's how it should be.  I'm convinced we'll come good soon, some players aren't doing it and the balance isn't right either, but that will change.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 24, 2011, 03:46:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

i dunno look at the anger in billys face :boxing: :thumbsup:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 25, 2011, 12:08:06 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"ljm-drfc\" post=193914

I reckon this is the pre-match warm-up look at the distance markers on the pitch :laugh:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 25, 2011, 07:41:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=194167
Quote from: \"ljm-drfc\" post=193914

I reckon this is the pre-match warm-up look at the distance markers on the pitch :laugh:

Problem with Kyle he is good running with the ball making his own chances. But like a very young Nani when it comes to passing the ball or crossing in the right place he still has a lot to learn.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012