Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:25:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FAO Silent Majority  (Read 1506 times)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
FAO Silent Majority
« on October 23, 2011, 10:12:52 pm by JonWallsend »
silent_majority wrote:
As has been pointed out already the Alliance meeting went into a lot of depth when JR explained how this had come about. The same story was given to the VSC Directors when we met with JR on the morning of the Crystal Palace game and which we subsequently reported on here, attracting a lot of criticism for doing so!

SO'D was offered players from Willie McKay on previous occasions at very little cost.
He turned them down because he didn't like Willie McKay, not because the players weren't good enough, not because they weren't cheap enough, but because of SO'D's personal dislike of somebody. Those players then went on to much better things, we could have had them and made lots of money stabilising this club in the process.

Sean seemed to be a prickly kind of guy, and its no secret that TB wasn't a fan either. This would suggest to me that Sean had faults as well as his good points, whilst the club is winning and moving forward you can ignore those faults, but when the music stops you need to be in a good place, and Sean wasn't.

So, to answer the original point, the time-line went back a lot further than a couple of months, the seed was set a couple of years ago

Would you be breaking confidences, or is it unreasonable of me to ask, for some of the names of these of these players that went on to much better things?

Are you aware or can you divulge the terms and conditions of these supposed deals that SOD saw fit to decline? Were they loans, permanent deals or an arrangement similar to the 'shop window' agreement that we have now bought into?

Did it involve aquiring realistic young targets or were names bandied about when in reality there was little chance of them being brought in? Were they domestic or foreign targets? And finally, am I to believe, and I'm not doubting you, merely seeking clarification, that SOD was offered a number( by that I assume a minimum of 5)of quality players that he wanted and that would have improved the team but he declined due to his dislike of Willie McKay?

Actually and this is finally- are you able to enlighten us as to why Sean had a dislike for and thus didn't want to deal with the said agent?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: FAO Silent Majority
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2011, 11:55:32 pm by silent majority »
I can't answer most of what you ask, not because I don't want to, but because I don't know all the answers. I repeat once again I'm only relaying exactly what JR has put into the public domain about this.

I know the names of two players, James MacArthur and James McArthy who were at Hamilton together. SO'D was offered them both for a combined fee of £300k, he declined. They subsequently signed for Wigan for fees of £0.5m and £1.2m respectively. They are currently valued, as Scottish Internationals, in the region of £4m to £6m each.

They were permanent deals, no loan arrangements or otherwise. As far as I'm aware Sean turned them down because the deal came from WM. That's all I know, and this is the information that JR told everybody at the Alliance meeting.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 24, 2011, 09:40:16 am by JonWallsend »
Thanks

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 24, 2011, 04:46:31 pm by Alickismyhero »
Perhaps Harry the Bung advised old noisy not to touch the shady agent? And remember SM we only have one side of the story and unlikely to get the other.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #4 on October 24, 2011, 06:14:48 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Quote from: \"silent_majority\" post=193808
I can't answer most of what you ask, not because I don't want to, but because I don't know all the answers. I repeat once again I'm only relaying exactly what JR has put into the public domain about this.

I know the names of two players, James MacArthur and James McArthy who were at Hamilton together. SO'D was offered them both for a combined fee of £300k, he declined. They subsequently signed for Wigan for fees of £0.5m and £1.2m respectively. They are currently valued, as Scottish Internationals, in the region of £4m to £6m each.

They were permanent deals, no loan arrangements or otherwise. As far as I'm aware Sean turned them down because the deal came from WM. That's all I know, and this is the information that JR told everybody at the Alliance meeting.

With hind sight they sounded good deals , but if the manager says no then that's his decision
, J/R would have stepped in if he felt the deals were worth a punt, he did not , so takes the blame .
I'm NO \"Sear\" but i think i know how all this will pan out ...and W/M will leave us and the club telling tales of poor decisions by the board and   promises made and not kept. I think we are too small a club to place it's future in the hands of a dealer in over  priced and over rated under performing prima donas ,who's original clubs just want rid , I think we are mugs to have taken this on , i hope i have to eat ALL my words , as i love the club but so far it has not achieved one point  in helping  the clubs survival ,in this debacle. it does apear to deviding  the fans and players . Rovers til i die

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 24, 2011, 06:28:42 pm by silent majority »
That's my biggest fear at the moment, that it's dividing the fan-base. When we went down to the Conference and came back, better and stronger we all felt proud and pleased that we had been resurrected, but more than that was the manner in the way we had done it.

Whether the rest of the football world noticed or even cared was irrelevant, we felt that way and we were justly proud that under DP, SOD and JR we had found another way to survive. Maybe this way will bring more success at a price that we can afford, that's the plan, but in the meantime we seem to be struggling as supporters to accept the change. I just hope that when we do get on the winning trail again that we can all come together and still be proud of what we have achieved.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012