Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:10:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The best ever?  (Read 2713 times)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
The best ever?
« on April 07, 2024, 12:39:39 pm by adamtherover »
If we do go and win 11 on the bounce, it will be our best ever winning run, right at the best time of the season, but can the stattoes find a better example of a team winning more games at the end of the season to gain a promotion place from out of nowhere,? Or would this be the record?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: The best ever?
« Reply #1 on April 07, 2024, 01:09:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
Sunderland under Roy Keane in 2006/7 season in the Championship. Their last 20 games from January were won 16, drawn 3, lost 1.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 07, 2024, 01:12:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think it would be very unlikely that any team has ever won their last 11 matches to clinch a promotion.

Abu Dhabi City did win their last 14 PL matches in 18/19. But that's just a video game int it?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 07, 2024, 01:19:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Much as I'm getting giddy, this shows how unlikely it is.

The two most astonishing turnarounds in recent years were Barnsley in L1 in 15/16 and Bristol Rovers in L2 in 21/22.

Barnsley climbed from 4th bottom to 6th over the final 24 games.

Bristol Rovers climbed from 14th to 3rd in the final 18 games.

Neither had a run of more than 4 straight wins.

For us to get 7th spot would have meant climbing from 3rd bottom to 7th over 17 games, and almost certainly would require us to have won our final 11 games. I doubt there's ever been a turnaround like that, and of course it is still very unlikely to happen. Maybe 2-5% chance.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 07, 2024, 02:23:16 pm by adamtherover »
Many moons ago, when we were at about game 17 or so, just after a great October run, and 8pts from the playoffs, with 30 games to go, the stattoes suggested that sort of gap, even at an earlier stage in the season had never been overcome,  is there a precedant where 7pts have been gained over 5 games? I'm thinking of pompey gaining a 10 pt gap in 2016 in the last 4 games..   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 07, 2024, 02:33:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Many moons ago, when we were at about game 17 or so, just after a great October run, and 8pts from the playoffs, with 30 games to go, the stattoes suggested that sort of gap, even at an earlier stage in the season had never been overcome,  is there a precedant where 7pts have been gained over 5 games? I'm thinking of pompey gaining a 10 pt gap in 2016 in the last 4 games..   

Nobody was saying a gap of that size had never been overcome.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 07, 2024, 02:37:20 pm by adamtherover »

Nobody was saying a gap of that size had never been overcome.
do you want me  to trawl back to October, to show the posts,  thats exactly what folk were saying, and it sounded just as crazy then as well...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 07, 2024, 02:38:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Be my guest.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 07, 2024, 04:03:14 pm by Avsuptem »

The two most astonishing turnarounds in recent years were Barnsley in L1 in 15/16 and Bristol Rovers in L2 in 21/22.

For us to get 7th spot would have meant climbing from 3rd bottom to 7th over 17 games, and almost certainly would require us to have won our final 11 games. I doubt there's ever been a turnaround like that, and of course it is still very unlikely to happen. Maybe 2-5% chance.

I am amazed at how you know this stuff BST. A. Lot of it makes fascinating reading
 Thanks for sharing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 07, 2024, 04:19:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I am amazed at how you know this stuff BST. A. Lot of it makes fascinating reading
 Thanks for sharing.

There's this thing called the Internet!

My gotos are Soccerbase for old results and 11v11 for old league tables.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 07, 2024, 04:26:29 pm by dickos1 »

What would’ve been the percentage chance of us winning our next 6 games after the Bradford game?
Playing against 3 of the top 7

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 07, 2024, 04:35:05 pm by TonySoprano »

Maybe a 2-5 % chance at the start of those 11 games, but now to win our last 5 games I'd say we've got a 50% chance how we've been playing

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 07, 2024, 04:52:39 pm by adamtherover »
Can you do an accumulator bet on upcoming games,  what would 2-1 odds add up to over 5 games for example?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 07, 2024, 04:54:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Maybe a 2-5 % chance at the start of those 11 games, but now to win our last 5 games I'd say we've got a 50% chance how we've been playing

You're doing well to be evens to win any match. On average, you're odds against to win, apart from maybe the top 2-3 in any division.

We were certainly not playing like a top 2-3 side by the time of that Bradford game. We'd improved, but certainly not that much.

But let's say we were evens for each match thereafter on average.

Then the odds against winning six on the bounce are 63/1, or about 1.6%. And the odds against winning 11 on the bounce are 2047/1, or about 0.05%.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 07, 2024, 04:57:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

That's the gambler's fallacy. Allowing your interests to shape your decision.

There is no way on God's earth we have a 50-50 chance of making the play-offs. 5-95 is still generous. Which is not to say it's impossible. Just very, very difficult.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 07, 2024, 05:00:21 pm by Prez »

What would’ve been the percentage chance of us winning our next 6 games after the Bradford game?

The individual odds in those games were as followed... Crewe game 6/4, Swindon 9/4, Forest Green Evens, Crawley 9/4, Wrexham 3/1, Morecambe 6/4. All these odds courtesy of Betfair.

So if you had placed them in a acca you would have got odds of approx 528/1

Staggering!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:51:39 pm by Prez »

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 07, 2024, 05:19:07 pm by bobbymax »
Let's be honest, a top-half finish was beyond most people's wildest dreams at the end of January. The play-off are a fantasy this season. I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts and praying that the feelgood factor lasts through the summer, who ever goes, stays or arrives.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 07, 2024, 05:32:48 pm by normal rules »
Ppg currently 1.414.
Ppg needed for 73 points ( if that’s the required figure) come season end 1.586.
A win against Walsall would bring the ppg to 1.452.
A win against Stanley take the ppg to 1.488
Another win against Barrow takes it to 1.522
Another win at Colchester takes it to 1.555
And then it’s down to the wire.
An un thinkable unlikely final win at gillingham takes the overall season ppg to 1.586.
Mansfield are home and dry imho for at least a playoff slot.
I can’t see Barrow chucking it this late on.
Crewe have faltered last 5 games. Let’s hope that continues. Rovers have an all important game in hand on them.
I think Crawley have a bit too much for rovers. 7 point gap with 5 to play. We can but hope for a bout of botulism to hit their team perhaps?
Walsall are a fly in the ointment also. And the game on Tues night will be decisive. Lose against them and we put them in the same boat as Crawley.
Perhaps there is some late drama to come with a points deduction for someone? Wishful thinking.
Whatever happens, I’m made up for GM and the playing staff. The end to this season so far has been very welcome and quite honestly amazing. It makes for a good springboard for next season.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 07, 2024, 05:55:15 pm by Dutch Uncle »
It makes for a good springboard for next season.

This. It makes us more interesting for potential new signings, premier clubs loaning young players, and anyone still undecided about whether to stay with us.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 07, 2024, 06:05:25 pm by ravenrover »
I can't remember, it's an age thing, have we been behind in any game during this run? I'm guessing not, I wonder how would we do when we need to chase a game?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 07, 2024, 06:08:47 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I can't remember, it's an age thing, have we been behind in any game during this run? I'm guessing not, I wonder how would we do when we need to chase a game?

Last time we were behind was when we lost at Walsall

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 07, 2024, 06:09:01 pm by Filo »
I’m calling it now, in the unlikely event of reaching the play offs, we win the play offs, no one will want to play us if we have momentum

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 07, 2024, 06:12:52 pm by drfchound »

The individual odds in those games were as followed... Crewe game 6/4 Swindon, 9/4 Forest Green Evens, Crawley 9/4 Wrexham 3/1 Morecambe 6/4. All these odds courtesy of Betfair.

Staggering!!

This is from someone who will definitely know what he is talking about.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 07, 2024, 06:13:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

The individual odds in those games were as followed... Crewe game 6/4 Swindon, 9/4 Forest Green Evens, Crawley 9/4 Wrexham 3/1 Morecambe 6/4. All these odds courtesy of Betfair.

Staggering!!

Next 2 games, we are 5/4 and evens. So winning those two would take that acca to 2,380/1.

Assume we are evens for the final 3 games (I think we'd be longer odds, but just assume) the acca for winning the final 11 games would pay 19,043/1.

That shows just how hard it is.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:15:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 07, 2024, 07:07:32 pm by TonySoprano »

That's the gambler's fallacy. Allowing your interests to shape your decision.

There is no way on God's earth we have a 50-50 chance of making the play-offs. 5-95 is still generous. Which is not to say it's impossible. Just very, very difficult.
I didn't say we have a 50-50 chance of reaching the play offs.
Just a 50-50 chance of winning the remaining 5 games, which to be fair I might have been getting a bit carried away when I said that.

But my point was, at the start of the 11 matches the chances of winning all 11 were monumentally slim.
I interpreted what you said was that at this point the chances were just as slim as it was at the beginning of the run, which of course our chances of winning 11 in a row are now dramatically better.

But of course I think we're all a bit guilty of confirmation bias at this stage regarding working out all the permutations.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 07:09:43 pm by TonySoprano »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 07, 2024, 07:46:34 pm by normal rules »
I’m calling it now, in the unlikely event of reaching the play offs, we win the play offs, no one will want to play us if we have momentum

I’m calling this now. If, and it’s a massive if, rovers go to gillingham with a playoff slot in the balance, they won’t have room for the hoards that would want to go.

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 08, 2024, 08:30:40 am by McCammon egg n chips »
Sorry but look at our recent form.

6 played.
6 won.
12 scored.
1 conceded.
5 clean sheets.

I'm usually a massive sceptic but I've been fully caught up in this run and let's be honest - we have a lot more than a 5% chance of making the play offs.

Momentum is everything is football at this stage of the season. It's still unlikely but we have a real shot here.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 08, 2024, 08:35:18 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
I think we've jinxed it by getting carried away!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 08, 2024, 08:36:51 am by Donnywolf »
And to further praise what the Club has done the Team of 46/7 got the then Record of 72 Points

That would equate to 105 points and included only 3 losses and 6 draws

I was discussing this on Coach on way home and we decided that the 10 in a row was longest Winning streak ever for Rovers but thought , there might be other streaks in that Season

So to put the current run in perspective the other longest streaks in 46/7 were a 5 and a 6 both towards the start of the Season

So a ten to aim at and a 6 and 5 already done.

I hope we can make it 7 tonight and a clean sweep from then. Cloud 9 !

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 08, 2024, 08:46:52 am by normal rules »
If rovers five remaining games were all even money for rovers to win, Then a five fold acca would pay £31 profit for a £1 stake.
If rovers were 5/4 in every remaining game then a five fold would return 56.67 profit for a £1 stake.

As an aside. Just looked on skybet. They are offering 33/1 for rovers to be promoted. And 12/1 for a Top 7 finish.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012