Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:43:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: An interesting consequence...  (Read 59846 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: An interesting consequence...
« Reply #60 on June 10, 2012, 12:37:07 pm by silent majority »
o
The temporary retirement of Watson and Bramall as Directors will certainly have politically facilitated the Council's decision to hand a long term lease to rovers.It would have never got past the difficult political committees otherwise.
That's a good point that hadn't occurred to me.

That's total rubbish of course, and for two reasons. Firstly Rovers haven't negotiated a lease, the council have given them a management contract. The second reason is because I discussed this very thing with the council and they dismissed it out of hand and during the investigation the wealth of DRFC and its owners was never a factor.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on June 10, 2012, 06:06:57 pm by graingrover »
So the Rovers haven't negotiated a lease !.....oops .... and I was convinced we now had best advice.

Pinter777

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 11, 2012, 12:02:10 pm by Pinter777 »
one bad decision and hes slaughtered for it. poor bloke. unless we have all forgot the last 10 years? its people like you guys who demoralize a situation instead of just accepting we made a mistake lets move on and work hard instead of debating a pointless problem that has already happend and cant be resolved. again like ive said many of times, no of us would have or will ever be able to commit to the club the way john ryan has.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on June 11, 2012, 12:33:03 pm by Rios »
one bad decision and hes slaughtered for it. poor bloke. unless we have all forgot the last 10 years? its people like you guys who demoralize a situation instead of just accepting we made a mistake lets move on and work hard instead of debating a pointless problem that has already happend and cant be resolved. again like ive said many of times, no of us would have or will ever be able to commit to the club the way john ryan has.

I don't recall anyone at the Rovers admitting it was a mistake and there are certainly posters on here who are beligerant enough to not admit it either.

Bob's original point stands, it's caused a schism right through our support even to the extend where people can no longer debate/argue issues (others as well as this one) without being stomped on for either having their heads in the sand or being demoralising and anti-JR. 

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on June 11, 2012, 02:10:14 pm by BobG »
Thank you Rios :) I think this thread rather proves the point don't you think? :D That, to me, is another of the seriously important warning signs that way too many people are ignoring at the moment. And that's one of the reasons why I think tinkering round the edges isn't going to solve our problems. Time for a new broom. It may go horribly wrong. We may end up back where we usually live. But at least we wouldn't be living in a fools paradise any longer.

BobG

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 11, 2012, 02:20:22 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Evening all

I've just read the Board thread. It illustrates, perfectly, one of the major, presumably unintended, consequences of removing SOD and adopting the 'experiment'. It's utterly split the supporters and it continues to do so. It doesn't matter whether one agrees or disagrees with what has gone on this last 9 months - it's unarguable that one of the consequences continues to be strife, conflict and schism. Not a healthy place to be.

Me? I'm with Glen. I believe the club sold 10 years work, values and reputation down the line in less than a week. I continue to be sufficiently disappointed to believe that it will be impossible, in my lifetime, to reignite the passion and the pride that was shattered by the events of last October. But that's just one side of the continuing conflict isn't it?

BobG

Why do you sign off your name?

COuldnt disagree more with this post... Set the club back? What do you mean?

Arnt most of the same players here? Fans? Board?

Explain yourself !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on June 11, 2012, 02:26:30 pm by dickos1 »
If jr left tomorrow there would be no club. Honestly don't understand the mentality of suggesting we would be better off without him.
Its like saying your better off with aids than without it.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on June 11, 2012, 04:33:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Evening all

I've just read the Board thread. It illustrates, perfectly, one of the major, presumably unintended, consequences of removing SOD and adopting the 'experiment'. It's utterly split the supporters and it continues to do so. It doesn't matter whether one agrees or disagrees with what has gone on this last 9 months - it's unarguable that one of the consequences continues to be strife, conflict and schism. Not a healthy place to be.

Me? I'm with Glen. I believe the club sold 10 years work, values and reputation down the line in less than a week. I continue to be sufficiently disappointed to believe that it will be impossible, in my lifetime, to reignite the passion and the pride that was shattered by the events of last October. But that's just one side of the continuing conflict isn't it?

BobG

Explain yourself !

That's how Bob finishes every one of his posts, I don't see why he should have to explain it. There is a rift in support, you only have to read half the threads before they tediously become a squabble, we are not united in a common goal or cause anymore. The media and other clubs and their fans no longer look at us with envy over our set up and the way the club is run, these are the points Bob is making and all the facts are there to back them up so how you can disagree is bewildering.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on June 11, 2012, 04:50:38 pm by Wellred »
Evening all

BobG

Explain yourself !

That's how Bob finishes every one of his posts, I don't see why he should have to explain it. There is a rift in support, you only have to read half the threads before they tediously become a squabble, we are not united in a common goal or cause anymore. The media and other clubs and their fans no longer look at us with envy over our set up and the way the club is run, these are the points Bob is making and all the facts are there to back them up so how you can disagree is bewildering.

I am bewildered as to how you know the media and other clubs no longer look at us with envy over our set up and the way the club is run? Or indeed if they ever did.

There isn't a rift in support. There is a divide between those who want to move on and those who want to keep dragging up whats has gone before.

Some are prepared to accept what happened this season maybe wasn't the right way to go but they do accept that the directors felt they had no alternative to do other than what they did.

Others who seem to think they know everything and think they are always right want to keep preaching doom and gloom.

I will let you decide which category I fall into and which you and BobG want to be in.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 11, 2012, 04:59:16 pm by albie »
I read Bob G as saying that we need to think about the future, not just reflect the past in our thinking.

Everyone knows JR has put in the money to kickstart DRFC back from the Conference, and everyone is grateful for that.

The situation now is that JR has sold a controlling interest in DRFC to Bramall and the Watson family, who combined hold the majority stake in Patienceform, the company name of DRFC.

The issue is what direction do the owners want the club to take, going forward. We have heard very little from Bramall and Watson about their intentions.

It would be good for DRFC to set out a forward plan for the next phase of development, where we expect to be in 3 and 5 years time.

Obviously nothing is set in stone, but there is a sense of drift at the moment, and it would help fans re-unify if we knew what the plan was, imo.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on June 11, 2012, 05:16:05 pm by Wellred »
Why don't you attend the meeting next Monday and ask the question then?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on June 11, 2012, 06:34:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
There have always been rifts in support; the whole conception of message boards encourages them! The current ‘schism’ is no different to the one during SOD’s first 6 months in charge. Then though the anti SO’D squad were eventually laid low with their tails between their legs, whereas now the anti Saunders mob have the bragging rights at this moment in time.

The media may have once appeared to look upon us with admiration, but I believe it was mainly in a patronising manner. Other teams fans also appeared to look upon us with envy, Claiming that they had a ‘soft spot’ for little Donny......but only until we started beating them! THAT’S why they no longer like us, it’s bugger all to do with the way we play now!

Funny how so few people openly opposed the ‘experiment’ in its infancy, whereas so many do so now with the aid of hindsight.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:41:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on June 11, 2012, 07:30:47 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Evening all

BobG

Explain yourself !

I am bewildered as to how you know the media and other clubs no longer look at us with envy over our set up and the way the club is run? Or indeed if they ever did.

There isn't a rift in support. There is a divide between those who want to move on and those who want to keep dragging up whats has gone before.

Some are prepared to accept what happened this season maybe wasn't the right way to go but they do accept that the directors felt they had no alternative to do other than what they did.

Others who seem to think they know everything and think they are always right want to keep preaching doom and gloom.

I will let you decide which category I fall into and which you and BobG want to be in.

A divide and rift are one and the same, yes there have always been squabbles and differences of opinion but at present the 2 halves are so far apart they seem to forget that there is common ground, the club/team. I've read and heard comments regarding the path we took last season and there has definately been a shift in the respect we were afforded. Whether you think it patronising or not. I'm a doom and gloom merchant then for pointing out facts, if that's the way you read me then so be it. I take no enjoyment out of the last 18 months, in performance, the way things have been run and the way the club has run and represented itself, there have been no positives. Yet I have optimism for the coming season, some of the initiatives put forward due to some very hard work by certain individuals will hopefully repair some of the damage. I have concerns but they are part and parcel of being a supporter. You seem to think everything is black and white wellred and can afford to place people in a nice packaged box, it isn't the case, just many shades of grey and I don't fit in a box.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on June 11, 2012, 09:56:08 pm by BobG »
If jr left tomorrow there would be no club. Honestly don't understand the mentality of suggesting we would be better off without him.
Its like saying your better off with aids than without it.

That may be true Dickos. It may even be very likely to be true. But you, and plenty of others, are being very selfish in your view. What about JR's life? He may choose to stay. Fair enough. But he is getting older. He does not have control. He cannot make things happen like he once could. He has a wife who has to put up with what could easily be a bad tempered bloke. If he stays he is being forced into ploughing in yet more money when he cannot make the decision about where it goes. He has achoieved the almost impossible. He can't repeat it so his reputation can only go one way now.

We should all be thinking of JR's welfare now. We owe him that. Sod the Rovers. People are way, way more important than any institution.

And DVR: thank you. An intelligent and insightful commentary. I enjoyed reading it. You put your points a lot clearer than I did!

Cheers

BobG

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on June 11, 2012, 11:59:27 pm by dickos1 »
Nobody is forcing jr to do what he is doing. It's his choice and the day he leaves will be his choice. It's rather pompous and extremely disrespectful to suggest that we should make that decision for him.
It's even more pompus to suggest that by sticking up for the bloke we are in turn being selfish, the views of yourself could be seen to be very selfish, for some reason you don't seem to like the guy and the comments you've put on here will no doubt upset/hurt the man patronising comments about his age and a sliding reputation just to get a point across is very selfish.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on June 12, 2012, 12:34:12 am by BobG »
Oh Dickos. What I said was that the emotional statements trhat JR 'must' stay are selfish. He can make his own mind up. I even said that. It's the unwillingness of folk to recognise the position he's in and the outlook for him that irritates me. He's favoured us for 10 years now. He might wanna break, in fact there is an argument he bloody well should have a break, given the circumstances today. But no one on here seems willing to recognise that.

BobG

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on June 12, 2012, 01:08:16 am by dickos1 »
But it's his choice bob, shouldn't be forced upon him. You accuse me of being selfish yet I have never stated he must stay not even been close to saying anything remotely like that. It's down to him what he does and is certainly not anything to do with us.
It's just very patronising that were discussing that he is too old, needs a break, hasn't the influence he once had, if that's what he wants to do let him do it but it's way way out of our control and so it should be.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on June 12, 2012, 10:40:52 am by Norfolk N Chance »
what a silly post this really is!

As negative as you get!

Please lets move on

Cheers

Norfolk N Chance

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 12, 2012, 01:06:43 pm by keyser_soze »
ah, close season.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on June 12, 2012, 01:22:51 pm by drfcsteve »

Funny how so few people openly opposed the ‘experiment’ in its infancy, whereas so many do so now with the aid of hindsight.

Absolute rubbish! There were plenty of people (myself included) that said the experiment could never work and appointing Dean and Willie was a poor decision, it's not hindsight, it was foresight, and there's plenty of posts from myself and others that prove so.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 12, 2012, 01:52:22 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Absolute rubbish! There were plenty of people (myself included) that said the experiment could never work and appointing Dean and Willie was a poor decision, it's not hindsight, it was foresight, and there's plenty of posts from myself and others that prove so.

Too be far the enough of nagtive posts you write I dont read!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on June 12, 2012, 01:56:58 pm by Wellred »

Why was appointing Dean Saunders a poor decision? Would it have been a poor decision had anyone else been appointed can I ask?

SiBo

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on June 12, 2012, 02:13:54 pm by SiBo »
It was a poor decision because it was not based on his own coaching credentials and abilities it was based purely on the fact he was McKay's lapdog and prepared to go along with the experiment. JR can tell us all he wants he had identified DS and knew about his work at Wrexham, sorry it is bull.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 12, 2012, 02:20:09 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
It was a poor decision because it was not based on his own coaching credentials and abilities it was based purely on the fact he was McKay's lapdog and prepared to go along with the experiment. JR can tell us all he wants he had identified DS and knew about his work at Wrexham, sorry it is bull.

So you were at the talks were you??

More like putting 2 and 2 together making 5

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on June 12, 2012, 02:26:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »

So you might have been one of the few with foresight, well done. But others like you who are also blessed with the gift are very small in number compared to those who are now basing their argument with the  aid of hindsight.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 12, 2012, 02:28:04 pm by Wellred »

So you don't actually have any proof of this? It is just your opinion then?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:31:29 pm by Wellred »

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 12, 2012, 02:34:57 pm by donnyroversfc »
There is no proof that he was employed because McKay and the experiment but come on dont kid yourselves, it was exactly why he got the job.

That was one of the reasons i was so against him at first. Obviously i realised i was being unfair on the bloke and i am now 100% behind him.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on June 12, 2012, 02:36:38 pm by Wild Rover »

Why does it have to be "Bull", he was assistant manager at a few clubs and for Wales prior to taking Wrexham. In fact i would go so far as to say he has "Higher" management expertise than Mr O'Driscoll.

So , just maybe the change had FA to do with McKay and te Experiment, rather as JR says he was "Identified".

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on June 12, 2012, 02:47:57 pm by dickos1 »
Exactly, there are many examples of managers that have come from behind the scenes at clubs and become number 1 somewhere else and become successful. Brendan rogers for starters,

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on June 12, 2012, 03:09:51 pm by Wild Rover »
Every manager has to start his upward steps somewhere, people seem to think Dean Saunders started at Wrexham, for sure he did not. In fact you can literally pick any premiership manager and they will have started at a "Lower League" club somewhere along the line, whether its reserve manager or youth manager, all will have started their "Learning Curve" as DS has.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012