Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 07:23:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who should replace Dickov?  (Read 122611 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Who should replace Dickov?
« Reply #90 on May 03, 2014, 08:15:56 pm by silent majority »
Thinking back to our short list, one of the hot favourites was Lomas - he did well at Millwall?  Butcher was on there too, interesting that no one else in the championship or league one has snapped him up.

Dickov will take us up next year in second spot. Blades will be champions.

Time for our team to evolve into an attacking force which befits dickovs vision

Lomas was but a very poor interview did for him. Butcher was using us to get a pay rise at Inverness (allegedly!).

My choice would have been Michael Appleton.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on May 03, 2014, 08:17:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Pick a manager on ability not on an interview! SOD was terrible at interviews but wasn't too bad a manager (Had a number of flaws though).

All them managers we were linked with look a bit depressing now.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 03, 2014, 08:21:44 pm by Donnybax »
I thought we had some "high profile" applicants? That shortlist is painful to look at

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on May 03, 2014, 08:21:53 pm by River Don »
The majority of the teams around the bottom have shown recent upturns in form. Rovers were probably the worst team in the last few months, without bothering to look at the form table. When it really mattered, the other managers got the best from their players. There has to be a breakdown in tactics somewhere, going from a position where I was thinking we might break into the 50's points wise, to where we are today.

They haven't shown an upturn in form, the league has finished exactly as BST predicted it would. The only thing BST failed to identify was Rovers difficult run in and collapse towards the end. To a large part that can be attributed to injuries.

They have shown better form than Rovers. Charlton, Blackpool, Millwall have all obtained draws or wins in the last six games when it mattered. If it wasn't for miracle keeping, we would have lost at Millwall. Even Yeovil and Barnsley have picked up more points in the last 6. Only Birmingham have been equally as shocking.

The league has finished as expected. Relegation at 44pts is low but BST predicted it.

Rovers form over the last 7 games was exceptionally bad that wasn't predicted. Even then relegation was a close run thing.

The others have not shown an uptick in form. Birmingham finished with 5 losses and a draw! Blackpool 4 losses a draw and a win. The only club who have seen a real change of fortune is Millwall. Ian Holloway is a force to be reckoned with.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on May 03, 2014, 08:21:56 pm by pib »
If we based our decision on the interview, I can see how Dickov got it. Talks as good a game as anyone!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on May 03, 2014, 08:23:21 pm by Dare to dream! »
If we based our decision on the interview, I can see how Dickov got it. Talks as good a game as anyone!

Yep but surely in football track records count more than an interview?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on May 03, 2014, 08:23:53 pm by pib »

Yep but surely in football track records count more than an interview?

Well he didn't get it for his track record did he? Let's face it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on May 03, 2014, 08:24:41 pm by silent majority »
I think its gonna be more a case of who'd want to come here.. The budget wont be great,it never is  especially in league 1. Lets sit back and see who applies.... but the more I think about it, the more i want Dickov to go.

We were in the top 3 or 4 in terms of budget in Lg1 the last time. Where do you get this mis-information from?

SM can you tell us what the board's opinion is currently of Dickov?

I'm sorry I can't. It's not normally a subject I raise with the club, I have my opinion and they have theirs. They see much more of a coach ( and to be honest that's what he is) than any supporter ever does.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on May 03, 2014, 08:31:25 pm by mrfrostsdad »
My God!!!!!!!!
SM! Something I finally agree with you on after all this time! Out of the short listed candidates my choice would have been Appleton as well!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on May 03, 2014, 08:32:34 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Lee Johnson
Gary Rowett
Dean Smith
Rob Jones - worth a shot
Justin Edinburgh
Paul Tisdale
Derek McInnes

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on May 03, 2014, 08:35:55 pm by bedale rover »
Lee Johnson
Gary Rowett
Dean Smith
Rob Jones - worth a shot
Justin Edinburgh
Paul Tisdale
Derek McInnes
Nigel Worthington has done a good job at York and previously with Norwich

HomerJSimpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on May 03, 2014, 08:38:18 pm by HomerJSimpson »
Appleton..... I have to say I was under whelmed with Dickov but would have been more so with Appleton.

The entire list of candidates and applicants must have been poor. Shame really considering our recent reputation (experiment aside).

In Dickov we trust....until the club say otherwise

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on May 03, 2014, 08:40:48 pm by dickos1 »
Appleton... Dear god.
Why?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on May 03, 2014, 08:43:59 pm by Donnybax »
With the standard of these I think I may apply

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 03, 2014, 08:46:50 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Appleton is a very well regarded coach who, if I'm not mistaken, was/is involved in the England set up

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on May 03, 2014, 08:48:42 pm by since-1969 »
The club are saying he's staying  f*** what we think!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on May 03, 2014, 08:51:03 pm by dickos1 »
He's not done anything in management, and showed no loyalty.
Not for me

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on May 03, 2014, 08:51:30 pm by dickos1 »
It's a good job they don't take notice of half the stuff on here..

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on May 03, 2014, 08:55:33 pm by les@donr »
Dickov should go, he picked the team and tactics. He seemed to blame everyone bar himself for poor results, but ultimately the buck stops with him, he should be man enough and resign, so the club can make a fresh start with a new manager. A good manager produces a good team  who create their own good fortune and results, the reverse is true of a bad manager. Dickov falls into the latter category.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on May 03, 2014, 08:58:19 pm by Dare to dream! »
At least Appleton had experience at this level and above, wasn't he in charge at Pompey in the prem towards the end?

HomerJSimpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 03, 2014, 09:00:04 pm by HomerJSimpson »
Wouldn't say Appleton has achieve anything whilst being the manager though...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on May 03, 2014, 09:01:41 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think if those in charge have sense they'll make a change. You can't let a manager fail and then keep him on. He said if they backed him he would succeed - he's failed.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on May 03, 2014, 09:02:58 pm by Dare to dream! »
I think if those in charge have sense they'll make a change. You can't let a manager fail and then keep him on. He said if they backed him he would succeed - he's failed.

Adkins failed to get Reading in the play offs which was their objective and no doubt he will get sacked. Dickov failed our objective, there should be only one outcome

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on May 03, 2014, 09:06:49 pm by dickos1 »

Can't you??
Dean Saunders!! We've heard all these statements before, but he proved all the doubters wrong.
Scroll back two years this forum was full of the same statements just moaning about a different name.
And you were all wrong, I think you'll be wrong again

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on May 03, 2014, 09:07:16 pm by les@donr »
To be honest we've been riding our luck over the past month, poor results and still don't drop into the relegation zone. Today that luck ran out and Birmingham did what they had to do, whilst we failed to do what we needed to do to stay in the Championship. You can't keep relying on other teams to do us a favour, and not get results by our own efforts. Dickov should have got his team and tactics right for today, our fate was still in our own hands, yet we failed. The reason we are now in League One is 100% the manager's responsibility, and he should be sacked.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on May 03, 2014, 09:09:05 pm by dickos1 »
It has nothing to do with today, we were playin away at the champions. Damage was done at home to Birmingham and Bolton, and away at millwall when the ref did us over.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on May 03, 2014, 09:12:30 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Can't you??
Dean Saunders!! We've heard all these statements before, but he proved all the doubters wrong.
Scroll back two years this forum was full of the same statements just moaning about a different name.
And you were all wrong, I think you'll be wrong again

Dean had half a season and didn't bring a single of his own players in. He had to deal with the French revolution so didn't have the easiest job, plus we looked like we were going down anyway. We still managed to look a threat going forward at times unlike this season. Dickov has had a full season and was backed towards the end of the summer and allowed to bring in Turnbull, Robinson, Wellens and Khumalo then backed further in January with Sharp, Meite and Tamas joining. Only one has had the ability to build his own team and he's failed.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on May 03, 2014, 09:12:55 pm by southwestexile »
At least Appleton had experience at this level and above, wasn't he in charge at Pompey in the prem towards the end?

'The end' -is there any more fitting reason why he should never darken our door?

Dickov will take us up next year, he took us to Leicester who only beat us on the grounds of an iffy penno. How many teams have one better?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on May 03, 2014, 09:15:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »

'The end' -is there any more fitting reason why he should never darken our door?

Dickov will take us up next year, he took us to Leicester who only beat us on the grounds of an iffy penno. How many teams have one better?

So forgetting the other 45 games, the reason we'll go up is because we only just lost today.  :lol:

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on May 03, 2014, 09:33:31 pm by southwestexile »
The fact that were learning as a club will take us up

We'll be strong as hell in league 1, definitely the team to beat

TinyPortal © 2005-2012