Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:16:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger & Saunders  (Read 9451 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Coppinger & Saunders
« on August 22, 2012, 09:01:56 am by Red Rover »
So 20 mins left in the game last night, we are crying out for a bit more of creativity going forward, desperate for a goal against ten men, he brings Woods off for...errrmm....Harper?! Was that a message do you think? Why only bring Copps on with a couple of minutes left? I can see that Cotterill and Bennett have been playing well so there is currently no place for Copps, but surely he is that bit of class you need with 20 mins to go?  :s

Is it Saunders saying he isnt needed, or is it him trying to wrap him up so Hull don't get to see him pull up trees before the end of the window?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Coppinger & Saunders
« Reply #1 on August 22, 2012, 09:08:01 am by Filo »
Cotterill and Bennett were doing OK, why bring them off? M Woods was tiring, it was a like for like substitution, you`re trying to read to much into things, having said that, anyone that thinks Copps will still be a Rovers player come the end of the transfer window is deluded, we need him off the wage bill to strengthen the squad, the trouble is we`ve told every man and his dog, Hull will wait until the last moment and put in a ridiculously low bid for him, then we`ll have no choice but to let him go on the cheap!

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 22, 2012, 09:09:46 am by Albert Trousers »
Saunders has gone on record as saying he has 3 or 4 players lined up if Coppinger leaves, maybe he can see that although our 1st 11 looks strong we have very little in back up & doesn't want to risk Copps getting an injury that would jeapodise a move & leave us short?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 22, 2012, 09:21:34 am by selby »
  This is no way to treat a very loyal and gifted player at the end of a long and succesfull career at Doncaster.
   And guess what if we are lucky enough to go up we will have to go in the market for players with Coppingers ability in twelve months time.
   The mind boggles or will we get a player cheap from a fire sale dont bet on it

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 22, 2012, 09:31:37 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's not about sentiment it's about results. Our two wingers have been superb so far, can't fault Saunders there. Harper also made a good impact in midfield last night. Saunders got it right, that may annoy some of you, but he did.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 22, 2012, 09:41:38 am by The L J Monk »
So 20 mins left in the game last night, we are crying out for a bit more of creativity going forward, desperate for a goal against ten men, he brings Woods off for...errrmm....Harper?!

Not that I'm convinced he entirely knows what he's doing, but maybe Saunders saw something that the average fan didn't.

I'm reminded of the time last season when Mancini, with City needing a goal, brought Nigel de Jong on and took off the more creative Nasri. Most fans thought he had lost the plot, however, most coaches thought it was a shrewd move, as it freed up Toure to get forward more. They won. Toure scored twice.

The average fan doesn't read the game like someone who has been in the game for 20+ years. Maybe he knew what he was doing.

Maybe.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 22, 2012, 09:50:59 am by jonnydog »
So 20 mins left in the game last night, we are crying out for a bit more of creativity going forward, desperate for a goal against ten men, he brings Woods off for...errrmm....Harper?!

Wasn't it Harper who ran the ball through for Brown to score, albeit the ball taking the slightest of touches off Syers? IMO not a bad decision by Saunders to bring him on if it meant us getting the winner.

As much as Copp's is a legend for the club, it does seem that we've got more than satisfactory replacements in the form of Bennett and Cotterill, so if his release will allow 3-4 more coming in, and maybe even give Copp's a decent final payday then it suits all parties.

RTID

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 22, 2012, 09:53:42 am by wing commander »
   Coppinger is a player like anybody else and has no divine right to be in the side...What is it with some of you?? You think the guy is some sort of God he has done next to nothing in the last 18 months..okay he has been here a few years but in all that time weve never been offered a lot of money for him..He is just the same as any other footballer..Pay him a large wedge and he would be gone..
    The bottom line is he is very talented but doesn't work anywhere near hard enough and has too many poor games in ratio to the good ones these days...The sooner he is off our wage bill the better,Saunders has already said he can bring 3 or 4 in with the money if it happens..And if he has to be wrapped up in cotton wool for a couple of weeks to make that happen so be it and if he doesn't like it...tough...
     At the risk of getting avalanched with angry Coppinger fans...it's time he was gone... :evil: :evil:

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 22, 2012, 10:04:19 am by jonnydog »
Also, if two of the three players on the VSC banner play for other clubs, they would have NO CHOICE but to change it... would they?! ;)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 22, 2012, 10:08:47 am by Retdon1 »
How many times have we heard this summer if I sell a player I can bring 3 or 4 in and that never happens lets hope when copps goes he actually backs up what he says with some players

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 22, 2012, 10:10:38 am by Red Rover »
Cotterill and Bennett were doing OK, why bring them off? M Woods was tiring, it was a like for like substitution, you`re trying to read to much into things, having said that, anyone that thinks Copps will still be a Rovers player come the end of the transfer window is deluded, we need him off the wage bill to strengthen the squad, the trouble is we`ve told every man and his dog, Hull will wait until the last moment and put in a ridiculously low bid for him, then we`ll have no choice but to let him go on the cheap!

It wasn't a matter of taking Cotterill or Bennett off, I didn't say that...keep them on. Take Woods off who was goosed and bring an attacking threat in Copps on. Why bring a more defensive player on?

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 22, 2012, 10:17:53 am by keyser_soze »
I'd love Coppinger to stay - but if the reality is if he has to go for us to sign Weaver and some bodies to sit on the bench, then he has to move on. There's no point having him playing every match and getting injured.

I'm dreading the first injury, we're very light on cover at the moment, we've only got one additional defender fit at the moment.

I imagine the substitution tactics are 'swap the guy who is most knackered' at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:21:44 am by keyser_soze »

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 22, 2012, 10:21:37 am by jonnydog »
I'd love Coppinger to stay - but if the reality is he has to go for us to sign Weaver and some bodies to sit on the bench, then he has to move on. There's no point having him playing every

I'm dreading the first injury, we're very light on cover at the moment, we've only got one additional defender fit at the moment.

I imagine the substitution tactics are 'swap the guy who is most knackered' at the moment.

Martis will be back soon, you mark my words....

[attachment deleted by cleanup process]

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 22, 2012, 10:26:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »

It wasn't a matter of taking Cotterill or Bennett off, I didn't say that...keep them on. Take Woods off who was goosed and bring an attacking threat in Copps on. Why bring a more defensive player on?

We had controlled the midfield from the first minute to the middle of the second half. Woods's performance fell off a cliff from about 60 minutes onwards and Bury were starting to control the middle of the park, even with ten men. We COULD have taken Woods off and put on a more attacking player. That would have a been a big gamble, and risked losing our shape for the rest of the game. Instead, we kept the shape that had put us entirely in control of the game. We regained control of central midfield and it was from that avenue that the winner came.

Simple game really...

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 22, 2012, 10:27:10 am by Wellred »
Better doing it that way than bringing on two defenders with 5 minutes to go don't you think?  ;) ;)

rovinrover52

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 22, 2012, 10:32:43 am by rovinrover52 »
   Coppinger is a player like anybody else and has no divine right to be in the side...What is it with some of you?? You think the guy is some sort of God he has done next to nothing in the last 18 months..okay he has been here a few years but in all that time weve never been offered a lot of money for him..He is just the same as any other footballer..Pay him a large wedge and he would be gone..
    The bottom line is he is very talented but doesn't work anywhere near hard enough and has too many poor games in ratio to the good ones these days...The sooner he is off our wage bill the better,Saunders has already said he can bring 3 or 4 in with the money if it happens..And if he has to be wrapped up in cotton wool for a couple of weeks to make that happen so be it and if he doesn't like it...tough...
     At the risk of getting avalanched with angry Coppinger fans...it's time he was gone... :evil: :evil:
   Here!! Here!! He has not been trying for some time now Look at reading Away last season

dodge

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 22, 2012, 10:54:54 am by dodge »
We cant compramise a promising season for loyalty to one player. Depth is number 1 issue. Its not like we would be screwing him over, its a step back up for him prob on more money. I know he is settled here but thats what footballers do

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 22, 2012, 11:14:02 am by LINCrover2 »
Better doing it that way than bringing on two defenders with 5 minutes to go don't you think?  ;) ;)

We don't have 2 defenders to bring on :)

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 22, 2012, 11:18:32 am by DC- »
Not nice to leave him on the bench but if it looks like he's going and we're in the middle of building a new squad ... well, I can't see any other way. If he leaves, he won't be there to save us with 20 minutes left. Saunders needs to know who his danger men for the season are.

MartinB

« Reply #19 on August 22, 2012, 11:20:22 am by MartinB »
We won, Saunders therefore made the right decision.

My God, let's give the guy a break, 3 wins out of 3.

This is a results business.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 22, 2012, 11:23:27 am by River Don »
I wondered if that substitution close to the end was to let Browny get an ovation for his winning goal and give the fans chance to cheer Copps on to the field one last time...

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 22, 2012, 12:29:25 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Not nice to leave him on the bench but if it looks like he's going and we're in the middle of building a new squad ... well, I can't see any other way. If he leaves, he won't be there to save us with 20 minutes left. Saunders needs to know who his danger men for the season are.

Thats possible as is Copps not convincing Saunders enough to be in the first 11 right now, and if he was playing below par it would lessen the chance of him being sold. He could be carrying a minor injury or is vulnerable and so best on the bench till we need him and so he's more attractive for sale. Who knows...

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 22, 2012, 01:00:25 pm by RobTheRover »
Also, if two of the three players on the VSC banner play for other clubs, they would have NO CHOICE but to change it... would they?! ;)

Find me a couple of extra hours in the day and I will do it!!!

Seriously, I'm just wanting access to a few nice pics of the new players in the ir new shiny Rovers kits.  Wont be too much longer.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 22, 2012, 01:03:38 pm by jonnydog »

Find me a couple of extra hours in the day and I will do it!!!

Seriously, I'm just wanting access to a few nice pics of the new players in the ir new shiny Rovers kits.  Wont be too much longer.

... Will be if it's gonna be Blake ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 22, 2012, 02:05:47 pm by Filo »

We had controlled the midfield from the first minute to the middle of the second half. Woods's performance fell off a cliff from about 60 minutes onwards and Bury were starting to control the middle of the park, even with ten men. We COULD have taken Woods off and put on a more attacking player. That would have a been a big gamble, and risked losing our shape for the rest of the game. Instead, we kept the shape that had put us entirely in control of the game. We regained control of central midfield and it was from that avenue that the winner came.

Simple game really...

Thank you, saved me the time explaining

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 22, 2012, 02:07:09 pm by jonnydog »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 22, 2012, 02:10:26 pm by Filo »
http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley-hill-eyes-up-rovers-winger-1-4856067

Barnsley now keen on Coppinger

I can`t see how they can afford his wages, never mind a fee!

But at least it might give Hull the kick up the arse to make a move!

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 22, 2012, 02:39:41 pm by bobbymax »
http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley-hill-eyes-up-rovers-winger-1-4856067

They are even more skint than us! Besides, I can't see he'd want to go to a club that will be in League 1 next season.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 22, 2012, 02:57:41 pm by vaya »

Makes you wonder if he went how he'd react when his contract turns out to be a series of crude pictograms scrawled on bark.

If he did sign, maybe they'd knock a hole in that little wall rather than chuck him over it though.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 22, 2012, 03:28:09 pm by Jim Dobbin »
I wouldn't say they're skint they've living within their means. Set to announce a profit for the 11/12 season according to the "tarn" lads at work. Didn't they bid 400k for a player in the summer and he turned them down, they also sold Butterfield for over a million so they could still have a bit to spend

I would have thought that Hull would offer him the better salary though, lets see what JR says.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012