Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:40:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Turgid, attritional  (Read 15443 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Turgid, attritional
« Reply #60 on November 18, 2017, 08:57:26 pm by drfchound »
Just an observation mate.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 18, 2017, 09:01:49 pm by RedJ »
Positives.

Clean sheet against a side in the right half of the table. Didn't lose. Defended alright, though not too much to worry us anyway.

Negatives.

One of the most boring games I've ever watched. Didn't score. Didn't win.

But we played largely shite going forward and still got a point. Some of the basics were missing at times like being able to play a five yard pass, but a point is a point and it keeps things ticking over.

We'll probably get absolutely dicked on Tuesday night, mind, but Wigan are a much better side.

Oh and while we're on the subject of Dickov... it was slow, predictable, ponderous, I'd go as far as to say pedestrian. Very, er, Dickov-like... from a bloke who supposedly plays quick attacking football. Irony is, the few occasions we hit them with a quick counter, we looked dangerous. But these were far too infrequent. It's the pace the team play at going forward that's killing it off. Too many times they'll cut back after already beating a man and then pass inside unnecessarily or try and beat him again for some reason.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 18, 2017, 09:08:59 pm by drfchound »
Positives.

Clean sheet against a side in the right half of the table. Didn't lose. Defended alright, though not too much to worry us anyway.

Negatives.

One of the most boring games I've ever watched. Didn't score. Didn't win.

But we played largely shite going forward and still got a point. Some of the basics were missing at times like being able to play a five yard pass, but a point is a point and it keeps things ticking over.

We'll probably get absolutely dicked on Tuesday night, mind, but Wigan are a much better side.

Oh and while we're on the subject of Dickov... it was slow, predictable, ponderous, I'd go as far as to say pedestrian. Very, er, Dickov-like... from a bloke who supposedly plays quick attacking football. Irony is, the few occasions we hit them with a quick counter, we looked dangerous. But these were far too infrequent. It's the pace the team play at going forward that's killing it off. Too many times they'll cut back after already beating a man and then pass inside unnecessarily or try and beat him again for some reason.

RedJ, when comparing this current team to Dickovs L1 team, we have, on the face of it, a better group of players now.
However, our recent attacking threat is about as potent as back then and the defence is probably as good.
As others have said, is this really a Darren Ferguson team.
I am comparing the two teams at L1 level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on November 18, 2017, 09:24:01 pm by dickos1 »
He's obviously made a conscious effort to make us more solid and difficult to beat.
At the beginning of the season we were scoring goals but conceding too many.
We were too open and this forum was awash with people saying the defence was terrible.

If we're aiming to consolidate this season then being solid and difficult to beat is the way to be in my opinion.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 18, 2017, 09:31:22 pm by drfchound »
Which is why I brought Dickov into the conversation.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on November 18, 2017, 09:31:32 pm by anne honemous »
I'd question whether we actually do have a better squad now than what we had when Dickov was manager in League One.

We had both some very experienced players in Wellens, Tyson, Jones, whilst Forrester and Williams were very highly regarded at the time.

All of those players posed a threat going forward in one way or another.

Now, we've sort of got experience going forward in Marquis, relatively untried, untested and inexperienced players in May, Mandeville and Longbottom and an older, but less rated, Williams.

We may be stronger in other areas, but going forward it's been like going to the dentist and him extracting every tooth apart from the golden one.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on November 18, 2017, 09:33:35 pm by Herman Hessian »
Football should be entertaining. Would love to see the rovers go out there and try and beat teams rather then just not get beat. Haven't really had it since dave Penney left all those years ago!

you'd have preferred them to have lost 3-4 with sequinned pole-dancers performing at either end of the away end handing out free krispy kremes, with charlie chuck leading community singing at half time than to have taken a point from a tricky away game, ?

entertainment, my arse*...

* that could have been worded better....

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on November 18, 2017, 09:34:17 pm by dickos1 »

The big difference is that we weren't consolidating under Dickov we'd just come down from the championship and were one of favourites to go up

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on November 18, 2017, 09:36:47 pm by RedJ »
It was our second season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on November 18, 2017, 09:38:16 pm by dickos1 »
I know,
We were 2nd favourites for the title

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on November 18, 2017, 09:40:34 pm by drfchound »

The big difference is that we weren't consolidating under Dickov we'd just come down from the championship and were one of favourites to go up

Hadn’t Dickov had a full season in L1 with before being sacked early the season after that.
I don’t recall us being promotion favourites that season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on November 18, 2017, 09:43:57 pm by dickos1 »
We were
The fact he'd had a season when we were supposed to be going straight back should emphasise the point even more that he was struggling at the end

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on November 18, 2017, 09:46:03 pm by drfchound »
We were
The fact he'd had a season when we were supposed to be going straight back should emphasise the point even more that he was struggling at the end

...... but we were probably not much different to what we are doing now.

As I seem to recall too, you were not in favour of him being sacked.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on November 18, 2017, 09:57:03 pm by RoversAlias »
Stop arguing about bloody Dickov. Most tedious thing in years on this forum and that's saying something.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on November 18, 2017, 09:58:44 pm by drfchound »
I thought we could discuss all things Rovers on here.

I suppose it makes a change from arguing about Ferguson.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 18, 2017, 10:01:33 pm by RedJ »
Stop arguing about bloody Dickov. Most tedious thing in years on this forum and that's saying something.

Not more tedious than his football, surely... :laugh:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on November 18, 2017, 10:42:09 pm by RoversAlias »

Not more tedious than his football, surely... :laugh:

Excellent point!

And yes Hound it is, but I'm just tired of the same Dickov debate, from the same people after every game. Much rather discuss any one of 5000 other Rovers-related topics.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on November 18, 2017, 11:07:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
We were

...... but we were probably not much different to what we are doing now.

As I seem to recall too, you were not in favour of him being sacked.

He did though want Ferguson sacked, at the end of his first season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on November 18, 2017, 11:28:23 pm by dickos1 »
Obsessed with 2 years ago you my friend

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on November 18, 2017, 11:58:32 pm by Lesonthewest »

As was the football played under him, awful era & best forgotten.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on November 19, 2017, 01:59:21 am by SydneyRover »
"He's (DF) obviously made a conscious effort to make us more solid and difficult to beat"

Didn't see the game but if this is how we have to play to consolidate then good, because it will force opponents to be more adventurous which will in turn lead to opportunities for us. Survive and consolidate in L1 anything more is a bonus.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on November 19, 2017, 06:50:05 am by dickos1 »
Exactly Sydney

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on November 19, 2017, 09:10:15 am by the vicar »
Another game where Marquis isn’t taking advantage of his opportunities. January has to bring changes this is becoming serious when we’ve played more games than goals scored.
how can you say that in this game, other's yes but not this one he got no support all game a d had to spend most of the game on the wing so he could get the ball

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on November 19, 2017, 09:23:19 am by drfchound »
"He's (DF) obviously made a conscious effort to make us more solid and difficult to beat"

Didn't see the game but if this is how we have to play to consolidate then good, because it will force opponents to be more adventurous which will in turn lead to opportunities for us. Survive and consolidate in L1 anything more is a bonus.

I couldn’t agree more, DF has been far too gung  ho with his tactics at times.
In our current position I would be delighted if we can stay up.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on November 19, 2017, 09:54:01 am by GazLaz »
What was your expectations before this season started?

I would have thought, given the side and momentum built last season, at least challenging the playoffs ( by that I mean top-half) should have been a realistic ambition and reflective of the budget.

What is the budget? It’s the same as last season that wasn’t even the biggest in L2.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on November 19, 2017, 10:35:57 am by Chris Black come back »
I would be astounded if our budget is #17 in League One.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on November 19, 2017, 10:42:11 am by graingrover »
The only play I have found tedious in our recent games was the constant lumping the ball into the air anywhere around Moore that Rotherham United were guilty of . Yes we lack a bit of speed in our forward movement at times and the Chelsea lad who was brought in may add speed when he gets fit ; May and Longbottom too. Marquis does not lack pace nor energy and was again admirable yesterday in his bursts forward

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on November 19, 2017, 11:03:04 am by Copps is Magic »
What was your expectations before this season started?

I would have thought, given the side and momentum built last season, at least challenging the playoffs ( by that I mean top-half) should have been a realistic ambition and reflective of the budget.

What is the budget? It’s the same as last season that wasn’t even the biggest in L2.

When you say wasn't even the biggest you actually mean behind pompey, it was one of the biggest, maybe even the biggest.

The point of the budget becomes less important this season as Fergies' objective was clearly to build a squad last season, one to ultimately stop the high turnover of players costing us money. Our wage bill is almost certainly higher than our league position.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on November 19, 2017, 11:07:47 am by Copps is Magic »
On a separate point, Marquis had a good game yesterday. He was isolated but still held it up well and created some chances for himself. He needs a playmate up there to take a couple of defenders away from him, and a midfielder to break the line and interchange with him (Rowe on a good day)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on November 19, 2017, 11:23:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps

Do you reckon our wage bill is, say, about 10th in the division?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012