Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:35:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

SOD or not

Yes
No
Undecided

Author Topic: Poll: Would you like to see SOD back as our #1?  (Read 16048 times)

john_donc857

• Forum Member
Re: Poll: Would you like to see SOD back as our #1?
« Reply #30 on October 08, 2015, 08:26:28 pm by john_donc857 »
No thanks! He's had his time and like mentioned previously he became to predictable in the end and to easy for other managers to work out. We only stayed up that first season in the championship because of heffs, couldn't score a goal for toffee and his refusal to start him before Christmas almost cost us, when we were clearly lacking a striker. Plus I got fed up with the percentage game from goal kicks. 99% percent of the kicks went down the left hand side hoping to win a throw in the opposition half. I much prefare to build from the back. He didn't like to use subs either

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 08, 2015, 09:38:28 pm by Alickismyhero »
It goes without saying its Sean O'Driscoll for me and in the poll Sean takes the lead. I find that surprising but in my heart there is no chance of him coming back.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:04:46 pm by Alickismyhero »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 08, 2015, 11:23:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That last year under sod, the player with most touches was Gary woods

Surprisingly few directly from shots though. At least not without the shot hitting the back of the net first.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 09, 2015, 06:43:08 am by dickos1 »
I know, we must've passed it back to the goalie more in those few months than any other side in history

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 09, 2015, 06:58:00 am by steve@dcfd »
It goes without saying its Sean O'Driscoll for me and in the poll Sean takes the lead. I find that surprising but in my heart there is no chance of him coming back.

Why would he want to come back here. Will the owners who insisted he was put on gardening leave and then rangled over his contract payments changed their minds about him.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 09, 2015, 07:28:06 am by 1879Rovers »
Very rare a manager does well second time around at a club. Move on.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 09, 2015, 09:26:05 am by Mike_F »
Eddie Howe ain't doing bad...

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 09, 2015, 09:47:02 am by Alickismyhero »

Why would he want to come back here. Will the owners who insisted he was put on gardening leave and then rangled over his contract payments changed their minds about him.

Steve,
You are right he was treated very badly in a way no one should be treated, despicable. Just imagine if you were put in a information vacuum by the club with no pay and no information when you requested it, for months.

Could he be persuaded to return? I doubt it. I did follow the situation very closely and if my memory serves me well Bramall had gone walkabout leaving the issue with Ryan and Watson agreeing for the Mckay circus.

I know that Sean takes a very philosophical view on management in football in that the sack goes with accepting the job in the first place but provided a club complies with the contract, no hard feelings, you move on. It never happened that way for Sean at Donny.

With Ryan gone, Watson in better health and Bramall running the show, who knows?

"Funny old game football"

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 09, 2015, 09:57:27 am by RedJ »

He was parachuted back into a side he built himself.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 09, 2015, 10:54:25 am by Rovers91 »

He was only away for about 12 months so he had already built majority of the team he went back to.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 09, 2015, 10:56:26 am by RedJ »

He was only away for about 12 months so he had already built majority of the team he went back to.

I don't think it was even that long was it?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 09, 2015, 12:00:12 pm by Copps is Magic »
Minority opinions lads. The majority have spoken. This is a democracy after all.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 09, 2015, 12:35:49 pm by wing commander »
Minority opinions lads. The majority have spoken. This is a democracy after all.

less than 200 votes in total is hardly representative of a fan base majority Copps..lol

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 09, 2015, 12:45:32 pm by steve@dcfd »

less than 200 votes in total is hardly representative of a fan base majority Copps..lol

Yes you are right but when any votes on this forum 2 to 3 hundred votes total are the norm.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 09, 2015, 12:47:55 pm by wing commander »

Yes you are right but when any votes on this forum 2 to 3 hundred votes total are the norm.

Yes it is...Although I expected a bit more take up on this one...

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 09, 2015, 02:11:36 pm by Yorkiered »

Yes it is...Although I expected a bit more take up on this one...

Maybe everyone is fed up with the carnival that is Doncaster Rovers.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 09, 2015, 02:12:31 pm by Wild Rover »
Or.......looking at it from the other poll,( Who would you WANT ) 26 of 161 would want SOD (16%). Take your choice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:23:15 pm by Wild Rover »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 09, 2015, 02:14:34 pm by IDM »
I think I may set up another poll:

Do you accept the outcome of polls?  yes, no, etc etc...

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 10, 2015, 04:46:17 pm by Alickismyhero »
Although a poll like this is relatively small in relation to the full membership of the VSC, Sean has more than 50% of the 222 people who voted.

I just wonder what the poll would suggest if it were between Clark and Sean?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 10, 2015, 05:13:09 pm by RedJ »
Not that it matters as he won't be getting the job...

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on October 10, 2015, 05:25:29 pm by Yorkiered »
Although a poll like this is relatively small in relation to the full membership of the VSC, Sean has more than 50% of the 222 people who voted.

I just wonder what the poll would suggest if it were between Clark and Sean?

Sorry Alick but you being selective with which poll you use.
On another poll on this forum 82% didn't want SOD as our next manager.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on October 10, 2015, 05:32:12 pm by Alickismyhero »
You are absolutely correct he ain't coming back............?

A poll, even one with a small response, would give an indication to the board what the supporters thought of Clark compared to Sean.

Clark in my opinion is a non starter but then again I thought Sean was a non starter when Ryan brought him in.

I am not alone when it comes to getting it wrong RJ,   am I?

Is that the poll which placed Sean 2nd behind Garcia, and there where 24 candidates to vote for?

I don't think that is a bad result, hardly an example I would use to prove the point you are trying to make!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:05:00 pm by Alickismyhero »

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 10, 2015, 06:08:24 pm by Yorkiered »
You are absolutely correct he ain't coming back............?

A poll, even one with a small response, would give an indication to the board what the supporters thought of Clark compared to Sean.

Clark in my opinion is a non starter but then again I thought Sean was a non starter when Ryan brought him in.

I am not alone when it comes to getting it wrong RJ,   am I?

The point I am trying to make is that you can read whatever you want in a poll to suit your point of view.
Is that the poll which placed Sean 2nd behind Garcia, and there where 24 candidates to vote for?

I don't think that is a bad result, hardly an example I would use to prove the point you are trying to make!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 10, 2015, 06:22:25 pm by Alickismyhero »
I had to read it several times but I did find your comment in the end.

Yes you can read stats/opinion polls in different ways and I wouldn't bet my life on accuracy of the polls on this site. I have a son with a Masters in Statistics and you wouldn't want to get caught with him in the kitchen at parties.

It gives just an indication on the strength of feeling of the supporters bothered to vote and I would say its clear from the polls that there would be a ground swell of opinion in favour of Sean. But........

Even I, don't think he will be back.......but...?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 10, 2015, 06:36:49 pm by RedJ »
It gives just an indication on the strength of feeling of the supporters bothered to vote and I would say its clear from the polls that there would be a ground swell of opinion in favour of Sean. But........

Well no, not really. Most of the people on here were big fans of his anyway.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on October 10, 2015, 06:38:24 pm by redbrez »
If it's true that the favourites are
Lee clark
gary meson
Darren Ferguson

And we could have sod , surely it's a no brainer
I loved the football under sod, just wished we moved the ball sometimes
just that bit quicker.

Really suprised he doesn't have more support really

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 10, 2015, 06:44:35 pm by RedJ »
We won't be having SO'D. And even if we did it would be a disaster with the current squad. But he's not coming back.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 10, 2015, 07:04:15 pm by Jonathan »
I don't subscribe to the idea that it'd be a disaster with the current squad. On the assumption that a manager of SO'D's principle would want to get the team on the ball more, I think we have players here that would thrive on that. Copps and Wellens are obvious examples from our previous successful teams, but the likes of Forrester can also influence games with the ball. There's also a case to say we'd get more from Williams by getting the ball to his feet facing goal. It's about getting the balance right in the team.

Taking all emotional connection out of the equation, I'd be excited if we were to appoint a manager of SO'D's ilk. Yes, we can point to the dreaded win ratios, and a CV that hasn't been a universal success (there's a degree of inevitability that any established manager we seek will have 'failed' somewhere or at some point). But what we'd be getting is an intelligent and progressive coach that's had success, acclaim and a range of experiences at various levels and alongside other top managers. It'd be folly to suggest a man of his intelligence has learned nothing since he was last here. He does tick a lot of the boxes.

What I couldn't bear is the petty squabbling (on both sides of the argument) evident in this and other threads. But, whoever we appoint, there will be sections of our supporters that are unhappy. It comes with the territory.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 10, 2015, 07:14:05 pm by RedJ »
My gripe isn't with O'Driscoll. It's with people that can't seem to accept that he's long gone and start foaming at the mouth every time he becomes available.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 10, 2015, 07:24:47 pm by Jonathan »
My gripe isn't with O'Driscoll. It's with people that can't seem to accept that he's long gone and start foaming at the mouth every time he becomes available.

I do agree that there's some daftness on both sides of the argument and it gets sickening. He's long gone and a lot of people (again on both sides of the argument) don't seem to have been able to move on.

If he was to come back (and I don't think that he will) it'd only be healthy, right and proper for it to be a fresh start and judged on merit and achievement in the present as any appointment should be. Again, we know that people wouldn't be capable of doing that. Whoever we appoint will be subject to an intense level of prejudice. Bringing back a former close associate would add to that further, obviously.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012