Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:22:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Victor Anichebe. Do we need him  (Read 16436 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Victor Anichebe. Do we need him
« Reply #30 on September 11, 2019, 07:11:21 pm by since-1969 »
Don’t knock it till we try it !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 11, 2019, 09:21:28 pm by Michael Shaw »
Not quite what I hoped for for the last 5 weeks, but he will do. He may not score 20 goals for us, but some other players in the squad can still benefit from his experience (as reported in  the DFP). Any boost we can get let's take it. I think we would be better with him in than out the team.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 11, 2019, 10:00:12 pm by RedJ »
I don't understand the obsession with a 20 goal striker. Yes, it gives you a massive advantage if you have one, but if the goals come from all over the pitch it really doesn't matter.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 12, 2019, 08:59:55 am by Michael Shaw »
I made no reference to Marquis, the no 9 position or the number of goals he scored for us. All I am saying is that Anichebe is not a prolific striker capable of 20 or so goals, but he is capable of benefiting other players to do better. And as a result, as you say and I agree, we can get goals from all over the pitch.
We have done very well in the past when goals came from all over, rather than having a single goal scorer who can get injured.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 12, 2019, 09:02:55 am by the vicar »
What we need is numbers, and yes in my book as if we are getting no where on the floor get him on, or start him then bring the fast lads on

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 12, 2019, 09:51:31 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
He's more than a big lump Vicar, we can have both power and pace, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 12, 2019, 10:24:24 am by ravenrover »
I made no reference to Marquis, the no 9 position or the number of goals he scored for us. All I am saying is that Anichebe is not a prolific striker capable of 20 or so goals, but he is capable of benefiting other players to do better. And as a result, as you say and I agree, we can get goals from all over the pitch.
We have done very well in the past when goals came from all over, rather than having a single goal scorer who can get injured.
Are you actually saying that at this level it is not possible for him to be a 20 goal striker? mmmm

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 12, 2019, 12:25:21 pm by 5 on Tour »
The guy is a monster. Him up front with all our speed running off him. The league 1 defences would be terrified!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 12, 2019, 12:44:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The fact that ackinfenwa (?) gets goals at this level gives me a lot of confidence should we sign VA. But it's starting to drag on now so imo we should give him a deadline of say Monday to sign or we're moving on.   

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 12, 2019, 01:20:48 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I don't think anyone would say Hayter wasn't a key "number 9" for us over five seasons (ignoring THAT goal), but he wasn't prolific as a scorer. Okay he was number 12....

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 12, 2019, 01:25:23 pm by CantleyRed »
I've heard from someone close to the club that he looks about as fit as Hugh Dowd.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 12, 2019, 01:27:17 pm by Metalmicky »
I've heard from someone close to the club that he looks about as fit as Hugh Dowd.

Which is how fit exactly...?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 12, 2019, 01:44:25 pm by IDM »
Anyone who can bullet in a header to score from the D is fit enough.!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 12, 2019, 01:59:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The important thing is DM will decide whether he's up to it and worthy of a contract. I can't see DM wanting to change the way we play to accommodate VA. More like he'll have to fit in to our style. I can't see him being a plan B, chuck the big lad on!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 12, 2019, 02:05:15 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The important thing is DM will decide whether he's up to it and worthy of a contract. I can't see DM wanting to change the way we play to accommodate VA. More like he'll have to fit in to our style. I can't see him being a plan B, chuck the big lad on!
If we sign him, I think he'd initially be used as exactly that plan B. As he gets fitter he can easily be a slight variation on the style we're playing anyway. DM is far from a one plan manager.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 12, 2019, 02:42:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe, but I don't think we'll change from on the deck football to hoofing it. What we have seen is more interplay in and around the box which is always pleasing on the eye and difficult to defend against.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 12, 2019, 03:30:12 pm by Barmby Rover »
Just because someone is tall you do not automatically play hoof ball and put high balls up, the advantage of having Anichebe there would be the legitimate use of his weight and stature to push defenders around and create space for Ennis, Stirling, Copps, May or Sadlier. I hope we sign him.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 12, 2019, 03:38:59 pm by Metalmicky »
Just because someone is tall

He's only 6ft (or just over) - so not exactly a towering centre forward...... I also hope we sign him - but only on a short term deal initially.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 12, 2019, 03:54:32 pm by Chris Black come back »
He is absolutely stacked.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 12, 2019, 03:56:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07n50d1

In terms of fitness levels, VA not there yet and haven't talked to him about a deal and may do when once he gets there.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 12, 2019, 10:30:17 pm by the vicar »
He's more than a big lump Vicar, we can have both power and pace, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
I dint say he was a big lump mate, but he would be a figure to scare most defender's

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 13, 2019, 07:57:11 am by Pancho Regan »
My colleague at work is a Liverpool fan and (with all due respect to us) he can't believe we've got Anichibe training with us.
He saw him play for Everton several times and always dreaded him coming up against Liverpool.

I know that's a while ago, but I think he could be a very useful addition for us.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:51:04 pm by Pancho Regan »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 13, 2019, 08:51:31 am by Alan Southstand »
It’s going to be a bit like a game from ‘Bullseye’, if we don’t sign him - a case of ‘here’s what you could’ve won’!

:lol:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 13, 2019, 11:21:13 am by idler »
It’s going to be a bit like a game from ‘Bullseye’, if we don’t sign him - a case of ‘here’s what you could’ve won’!

:lol:
Him or us saying that Alan?😉

VikingRich

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on September 13, 2019, 06:09:58 pm by VikingRich »
I think that if he has had a contract offer on the table for a while now then he is unlikely to sign. He isn't exactly jumping at the chance is he.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on September 13, 2019, 07:05:12 pm by dknward2 »
After the interviews this week with DM it doesn't sound like he has offered a contract yet still mulling over short or long term deal. Also sounds like John Taylor is his car share buddy.

For me I think we should offer a 1 year with another if he plays X amount of games or minutes. Maybe Darren is thinking either end of season or go long term 3 year deal to get some money if he ends being as good as he could be at this level

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 13, 2019, 07:06:26 pm by Michael Shaw »

Are you actually saying that at this level it is not possible for him to be a 20 goal striker? mmmm

I don't see him scoring ANY goals for us unless we can sign him first. And like a lot of Moore's targets he doesn't seem keen to come or he would already be over the line. The dole queue presumably has a greater appeal.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 13, 2019, 07:23:44 pm by IDM »

I don't see him scoring ANY goals for us unless we can sign him first. And like a lot of Moore's targets he doesn't seem keen to come or he would already be over the line. The dole queue presumably has a greater appeal.

That’s assuming he has been offered something..

Do you know if that’s the case, or is DM yet to decide.. ?  If the latter, your argument doesn’t make sense..

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 13, 2019, 08:05:57 pm by ravenrover »

Wriggling there a bit

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on September 13, 2019, 08:31:46 pm by silent majority »

When you're a multi millionaire, and married to one of the richest and most famous people back home then a dole queue is something you would ever need or understand.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012