Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 10:32:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Moly  (Read 4111 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Moly
« on January 13, 2024, 05:22:21 pm by mushRTID »
I’m sorry everyone but I think I have had enough.
So many promising positions he gets in come to absolutely nothing.
Frustrating and needs upgrading.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Re: Moly
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2024, 06:28:34 pm by Cramby10 »
Whilst I do think he stunk the place out today, which I’ve mentioned in another thread, but I do think the manager has to take a little of the flack on this. I just don’t get the obsession with playing players on the ‘wrong’ side. Or at least not switching them during the game to try something different. The one and only time he found himself on the left today, after a corner I think, he put in a wicked cross with his left foot round the outside that we could’ve scored from. He then reverted back to the right and never remotely replicated this for the rest of the game.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2024, 06:51:57 pm by Pliskin »
Said similar a few weeks ago too, watching Molyneux does my head in.

To his credit he keeps going all game and has ability, but he has to be one of the most wasteful players I've seen. Pops up in dangerous positions regularly but almost always fluffs it.

When we signed him it was seen as a bit of a coup, but for me his output has been disappointing.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2024, 06:56:41 pm by Branton Red »
A typical 4th division winger. We've had several similar down the years.

Talented but flatters to deceive.

I can't fault his effort though thoughout this season and at least he's available regularly unlike many of Rovers "footballers".

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 13, 2024, 06:59:31 pm by ncRover »
Whilst I do think he stunk the place out today, which I’ve mentioned in another thread, but I do think the manager has to take a little of the flack on this. I just don’t get the obsession with playing players on the ‘wrong’ side. Or at least not switching them during the game to try something different. The one and only time he found himself on the left today, after a corner I think, he put in a wicked cross with his left foot round the outside that we could’ve scored from. He then reverted back to the right and never remotely replicated this for the rest of the game.

I’m pretty sure that wicked cross from the left was from Rowe

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2024, 07:01:15 pm by Cramby10 »

he did put one in also.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2024, 07:01:40 pm by GazLaz »
Said it when he signed, average 4th division player. “But clubs in higher divisions wanted him”. Ok then.

Was just being negative again then as well!

The thing is, the data points to all these things before we sign these average players. It’s obvious with some of them, yet the club don’t know where to look. Graeme Lee said he was a good lad so we will have him!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 13, 2024, 07:03:45 pm by Filo »

It was

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 13, 2024, 07:04:13 pm by Silkscarf »
The main thing that irritates me with him is being hopeless with his right foot and he accepts that and never improves. He wastes so many chances to cross or shoot because they happen to drop on that side.

George Miller was the same last season on his left.

Surely working on your weaker foot is one of the first things a coach does? I forgive lower league players many things but not that. Being OK on your weaker foot is the bare minimum for a pro footballer.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 13, 2024, 07:05:51 pm by Cramby10 »
The main thing that irritates me with him is being hopeless with his right foot and he accepts that and never improves. He wastes so many chances to cross or shoot because they happen to drop on that side.

Surely working on your weaker foot is one of the first things a coach does? I forgive lower league players many things but not that. Being OK on your weaker foot is the bare minimum for a pro footballer.
or just play him on the left?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 13, 2024, 07:07:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Robben did alright being one footed.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 13, 2024, 07:09:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Does he just become Matty Blair? We rule out any goals or real attacking threat but double down on work rate?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 10:30:45 pm by Chris Black come back »

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 13, 2024, 07:31:28 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
He wasn’t great today and tbf it’s probs the first time this season where I’ve seen his opponent get the better of him.

He still created a chance for himself tho in the first half then put an excellent ball into the box for ironside which the keeper pulled an excellent save for.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 13, 2024, 07:56:11 pm by dickos1 »
He wasn’t very good today,
But still created probably our best two chances,
For me he’s as good as any winger in this league, unplayable at times.
Granted his end product isn’t the best but week in week out he creates chances

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 13, 2024, 08:18:56 pm by RoversInSpain »
Newport put 2 and 3 players on him today. He was left to try and find a way through which he generally couldn’t, you could see his frustration.
Might try to get a couple of our lads in a triangle.
Opposition are a bit scared of him, we don’t make the most of it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 13, 2024, 08:25:56 pm by roversdude »
Moly knew he wasn’t great today hence his booking based on frustration

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 13, 2024, 08:33:07 pm by mushRTID »

I could understand this comment if it was the 70th minute or so. But his booking was early. It was just stupid, not sure it was frustration.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 13, 2024, 08:40:44 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Newport put 2 and 3 players on him today. He was left to try and find a way through which he generally couldn’t, you could see his frustration.
Might try to get a couple of our lads in a triangle.
Opposition are a bit scared of him, we don’t make the most of it.

Thought it summed up the day when Biggins made the most telegraphed run and pass to Molyneux you'll ever see, he then had 2 men on him and then no one offered him anything.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 13, 2024, 08:55:56 pm by danumdon »
To me it just comes across as a lack of nous from him and the other players, when you have a player who the opposition are double marking then it should allow space and time for others to flourish, did it happen?

When we keep playing at a slow and predictable pace then any opposition will have the time to marshal their defences to the best advantage, we are far to predictable, we need to play much smarter.

When GM says the players are frightened to be brave and take responsibility then who does does the buck stop with?

We need to be far smarter and braver, i'd rather we tried and failed to make a forward break or attack work rather than watch us recycle the ball back to the keeper from attacking positions, the easy play is always the worse option for us because we do it so slowly it takes no one by surprise One paced and suffering for it..

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2024, 09:07:48 pm by StocksArmy »
There is a reason the lad operates at League 2. When he is good he is brilliant and when he is sh!t he may as well be taken off within the first 45mins. If he isn't allowed the space to run at people he doesn't seem to have the intelligence to move inside and play himself into a game. It's like he just accepts that he is isolated and if he doesn't improve his final ball he will be stuck at this level all of his career.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2024, 10:52:40 pm by ncRover »
I’ve seen 18 months of Molyneux now.

I have come to the conclusion that he is a dumb footballer.

This is why his game is less than the overall sum of his attributes (good work rate, left foot and touch, decent pace).

There was a passage of play where he was tripled up on, and he still just ran down a blind alley, rather than think - “that means there’s multiple unmarked team mates to pick out”.

Close, whilst being a good player is risk-averse and doesn’t seem to have ever looked happy in a Rovers shirt.

There’s a few others who just don’t seem sure in their ability or either mentally strong enough to maximise it. Determination without belief is aimless. There’s talking about doing it and then there’s actually DOING IT.

We seem to have a general inferiority complex. Both games v Notts County we have stepped off and treated them like 2008 Barcelona. Grimsby scored FIVE goals against them today, after Tranmere scored four the week before.

Bradford are distinctly average this year but Rovers will probably see the 20k Valley Parade crowd and shit their pants.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 11:04:31 pm by ncRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 13, 2024, 11:33:05 pm by selby »
 Ever thought the modern way of playing right and left footed players on the opposite wing means they collect the ball on the run with their weak foot going forward and therefore tend to collect the ball facing their own goal instead of going forward.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2024, 01:52:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Of all the crap talked on here, this thread takes the biscuit.

Folk in other threads are saying Ironside should have scored three yesterday.

Who do you think was instrumental in setting up all three chances?

There are plenty of players in this squad who have underwhelmed. Molyneux is way from the top of that list.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 14, 2024, 01:56:56 pm by dickos1 »

There are plenty of players in this squad who have underwhelmed. Molyneux is way from the top of that list.

Wow, we agree on something

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 14, 2024, 01:59:51 pm by roversdude »

I could understand this comment if it was the 70th minute or so. But his booking was early. It was just stupid, not sure it was frustration.

He was already frustrated then though as he hadn’t beaten his man once

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2024, 02:01:03 pm by ncRover »

I thought they weren’t good chances Billy?

This is the trap we fall in to with offering average players new contracts.

“Oh Molyneux sets up some chances we should keep him”

That doesn’t mean there aren’t other players who can’t set up more chances and score more goals about!

He has commonly been deployed as the ATTACKER on the right of a front 3 for 1 and a half seasons now. He has 5 goals and 8 assists in 67 league appearances. That isn’t good enough.

We are 21st in the league for big chances created. Which players would you put that down to?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2024, 02:12:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

That doesn’t mean there aren’t other players who can’t set up more chances and score more goals about!

He has commonly been deployed as the ATTACKER on the right of a front 3 for 1 and a half seasons now. He has 5 goals and 8 assists in 67 league appearances. That isn’t good enough.

We are 21st in the league for big chances created. Which players would you put that down to?

NC.

They were the best chances we created. It's strange that folk pile into the player who created those.

First one was an excellent run in round the back and a well judged touch back across the face of goal. It wasn't a tap in because the defender got in and nicked it away.

The second one was a very well delivered free kick straight onto McGrath's head. After that, you're in the lap of the Gods. The final chance wasn't a tap in because the ball ended up behind Ironside as he swung for it (and watching the video again, I suspect Waters would have been given offside if the ball had gone in). Molyneux can hardly be blamed for what happened after the ball left his foot.

The third one was a lovely ball into Ironside. It wasn't a tap in because Ironside had plenty still to do.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 14, 2024, 02:19:13 pm by ncRover »
Which of the current players in the squad do you think we can build around next season to compete?

I’m not saying Molyneux is a bad player, I just don’t think he’s above average for this division. And his numbers back that up, we have a large enough sample size now.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 14, 2024, 02:25:45 pm by Barmby Rover »
It is difficult to see who we build a team round, the only consistent battler is J Ironside, but I could see him being off in the summer to a side with more prospects.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 14, 2024, 03:44:59 pm by danumdon »

NC.

They were the best chances we created. It's strange that folk pile into the player who created those.

First one was an excellent run in round the back and a well judged touch back across the face of goal. It wasn't a tap in because the defender got in and nicked it away.

The second one was a very well delivered free kick straight onto McGrath's head. After that, you're in the lap of the Gods. The final chance wasn't a tap in because the ball ended up behind Ironside as he swung for it (and watching the video again, I suspect Waters would have been given offside if the ball had gone in). Molyneux can hardly be blamed for what happened after the ball left his foot.

The third one was a lovely ball into Ironside. It wasn't a tap in because Ironside had plenty still to do.

Seems to me that people on here are not getting on at Moly and talking crap, but more so talking in relative terms, He's the one player we have in the side currently who can make something out of nothing, so when he fails to produce it frustrates a great many because of his undoubted potential.

I would also say he gets held up for higher scrutiny because of this potential, most are just frustrated about a team that's not performing to the greater sum of its parts.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012