Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 03:26:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I've had a few...  (Read 988 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
I've had a few...
« on April 20, 2024, 09:56:06 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
... cold ones today, so forgive me a bit of emotional indulgence, but as I travel through the dark and damp English countryside on my way home I'm probably more proud of the Rovers right now than I ever have been in my life after this afternoons performance. Absolutely everything fell into place in terms of drama; a big crowd making a right old racket throughout the game, we go 0-2 down, half time pondering how much I'd wasted coming up for the game, one mate telling me we'd be alright - the other telling me we should sack it off if we don't score after 10 mins of the second half and go to the pub.

Then GM pulled off the greatest piece of tactical genius management by a Rovers Manager since Billy Bremmner on that famous night in the rain and mud at Wigan way back.

Suddenly, we're playing like a team that just knows it can and will win this. The confidence in the team was absolutely incredible and the huge crowd were backing them all the way. When we got back to 2-2 I noticed that the players weren't celebrating as much as they might have done. They knew that only half the job had been done. They had to go on and win this; for the fans, for the manager and above all for themselves. They all KNEW that they're better than a 2-2 home draw against Barrow irrespective of league positions. This was a game that they were going to win.

I was sat in the South Stand with my 2 pals doing our bit to roar the boys on, along with everyone else. The atmosphere was like none other that I'd experienced at the Keepmoat. The last time I'd felt this experience and atmosphere was QPR back in '85. I turned to my right and who should I see smiling back at me from high up in the stands? A huge photograph of King Alick that's who. A player that I never had the pleasure of seeing, but one who my old man would wax lyrical about everytime the subject of Donny Rovers came up. Not only was he Rovers through and through, but he would have played for England at the '66 World Cup had he not got injured, was what my Dad used to say! I looked up into the heavens and said a little prayer to the big guy up there and to King Alick!!! Could we win this?

When the 3rd goal went in, the roof came off. I swear that the South Stand shook ever so slightly with a few thousand people jumping into the air all in unison. 10,000 people in that small little acre of DN4 created more noise than I've heard from stadiums of 50,000 in the premier league. Never before have I heard 3 sides of the stadium all singing the same chant together in a 21st century version of community singing. The hairs on my arms were stood to attention as I heard the 'DRFC' chant belted out by young and old alike. The celebrations at the end were absolutely fantastic, you'd have thought we'd won the cup final!

After what feels like years of living a football nightmare, DRFC are suddenly the kings of English football!! Giving the fans fans something to smile about at last is a fabulous thing for this team to achieve.

And there we have it my friends, I can't add too much more about today on top of the brilliant comments made in the other topics on here. Except.... I absolutely loved today and I love the Rovers again!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Prez

• VSC Member
Re: I've had a few...
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2024, 10:01:18 pm by Prez »
Couldnt agree more.

Superb post.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2024, 10:02:08 pm by RoversInSpain »
Poetic.
Ruddy marvellous

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 20, 2024, 10:10:10 pm by PDX_Rover »
Ahhhh. Great post. QPR was great. Harle scoring in front of 10000. And that night at Wigan. The away end a mudslide, ended up soaked and covered in mud. Hanging my jeans up to ‘dry’ on the coach home.

Today was incredible. Watching from California but wishing desperately that I was there….

Massive achievement today.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2024, 10:41:19 pm by Paul Simpson »
Brilliant post Herbert!! Felt exactly the same with my family in the East stand!!

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2024, 10:49:48 pm by Peebles Rover »
Superb post! I had a wee tear in my eye when I watched the Rovers beat QPR all those years ago. And, I had a wee tear in my eye today when I listened to us do the impossible.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2024, 12:33:29 am by Sprotyrover »
... cold ones today, so forgive me a bit of emotional indulgence, but as I travel through the dark and damp English countryside on my way home I'm probably more proud of the Rovers right now than I ever have been in my life after this afternoons performance. Absolutely everything fell into place in terms of drama; a big crowd making a right old racket throughout the game, we go 0-2 down, half time pondering how much I'd wasted coming up for the game, one mate telling me we'd be alright - the other telling me we should sack it off if we don't score after 10 mins of the second half and go to the pub.

Then GM pulled off the greatest piece of tactical genius management by a Rovers Manager since Billy Bremmner on that famous night in the rain and mud at Wigan way back.

Suddenly, we're playing like a team that just knows it can and will win this. The confidence in the team was absolutely incredible and the huge crowd were backing them all the way. When we got back to 2-2 I noticed that the players weren't celebrating as much as they might have done. They knew that only half the job had been done. They had to go on and win this; for the fans, for the manager and above all for themselves. They all KNEW that they're better than a 2-2 home draw against Barrow irrespective of league positions. This was a game that they were going to win.

I was sat in the South Stand with my 2 pals doing our bit to roar the boys on, along with everyone else. The atmosphere was like none other that I'd experienced at the Keepmoat. The last time I'd felt this experience and atmosphere was QPR back in '85. I turned to my right and who should I see smiling back at me from high up in the stands? A huge photograph of King Alick that's who. A player that I never had the pleasure of seeing, but one who my old man would wax lyrical about everytime the subject of Donny Rovers came up. Not only was he Rovers through and through, but he would have played for England at the '66 World Cup had he not got injured, was what my Dad used to say! I looked up into the heavens and said a little prayer to the big guy up there and to King Alick!!! Could we win this?

When the 3rd goal went in, the roof came off. I swear that the South Stand shook ever so slightly with a few thousand people jumping into the air all in unison. 10,000 people in that small little acre of DN4 created more noise than I've heard from stadiums of 50,000 in the premier league. Never before have I heard 3 sides of the stadium all singing the same chant together in a 21st century version of community singing. The hairs on my arms were stood to attention as I heard the 'DRFC' chant belted out by young and old alike. The celebrations at the end were absolutely fantastic, you'd have thought we'd won the cup final!

After what feels like years of living a football nightmare, DRFC are suddenly the kings of English football!! Giving the fans fans something to smile about at last is a fabulous thing for this team to achieve.

And there we have it my friends, I can't add too much more about today on top of the brilliant comments made in the other topics on here. Except.... I absolutely loved today and I love the Rovers again!
think I was sat behind you Herbert as you were buzzing and chatted to me about the QPR game!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2024, 06:01:28 am by Donnywolf »
Yes , an incredible Post , an incredible Season , an incredible 9 win run and to top it all an incredible game

I said this run is like the Brentford Penalty Season not going well , then suddenly they hit the Bar and Rovers come good in fact better than good

Same in miniature yesterday - we were down , looking possibly "out" when the 8 in a row Team suddenly appeared and pulled off another Brentford

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2024, 07:07:58 am by colincramb »
What a great post

Sven Vath

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2024, 07:42:45 am by Sven Vath »
The wife was in white Rose waiting to collect us and said the atmosphere was electric from there. The fans reaction to the 3rd goal was something not seen at the Eco in a long long time, if ever.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 21, 2024, 07:48:59 am by Bills view »
We are all passionate football and ROVERS fans. Sometimes we get games like this. This is what we dream for, well I do

Football is highly emotional and supercharged. It's the most adrenaline filled experience on earth.

Proud of the fans, the manager, his back room team and the players.

Just superb.

A big thank you to the Board and TB. They saw what their decision-making and investment can bring to the club and everyone associated with it.

It's great for Doncaster.

We deserve to take that next step.

Make it happen boys!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 07:52:05 am by Bills view »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 21, 2024, 08:52:52 am by Campsall rover »
Fabulous post Herbert. Said with the heart. So much emotion.

It’s unbelievable what Football can do and what our Football club means to us.

Yesterday was very special.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012