Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:35:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Type of defender needed  (Read 4074 times)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Type of defender needed
« on January 28, 2018, 08:20:38 pm by Retdon1 »
With fergy saying we need at least 2 centre halfs, do people think we will end up with 2 kids from prem academy's, or will the budget stretch to some experience that he's stated he wants.. just a few names I've thought of off the top of my head of experienced players not getting a game at championship clubs.

Sean ragget - Norwich
Matt mills - forest
Tommy spur - PNE
James purch - QPR

Is this type of player realistic ??

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Type of defender needed
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2018, 08:28:31 pm by Campsall rover »
With fergy saying we need at least 2 centre halfs, do people think we will end up with 2 kids from prem academy's, or will the budget stretch to some experience that he's stated he wants.. just a few names I've thought of off the top of my head of experienced players not getting a game at championship clubs.

Sean ragget - Norwich
Matt mills - forest
Tommy spur - PNE
James purch - QPR

Tommy Spur is a left back and I am sure James Perch (and I assume you mean him ex Notts Forest) is not a centre back also.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2018, 08:31:45 pm by Jonathan »
Raggett is someone that I know we watched extensively prior to his move to Norwich, but I thought he’d returned to Lincoln on loan as part of that deal? I’d have loved us to have got him last summer but it would’ve been difficult to compete with Norwich.

Edit - I think he’s now back at Norwich so may be made available again for loan...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:33:51 pm by Jonathan »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2018, 08:35:34 pm by Retdon1 »
Raggett is someone that I know we watched extensively prior to his move to Norwich, but I thought he’d returned to Lincoln on loan as part of that deal? I’d have loved us to have got him last summer but it would’ve been difficult to compete with Norwich.

Edit - I think he’s now back at Norwich so may be made available again for loan...

He went back to Norwich at the start of Jan. Think he's only played once in the cup for them so far

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 28, 2018, 08:37:21 pm by Retdon1 »

Sean ragget - Norwich
Matt mills - forest
Tommy spur - PNE
James purch - QPR

Tommy Spur is a left back and I am sure James Perch (and I assume you mean him ex Notts Forest) is not a centre back also.

Spur can also play centre half plus the left back position is still a big problem for us.. perch too has played a lot of centre half throughout his career but like I said just a couple of names I though of off the top of my head

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 28, 2018, 08:39:11 pm by Jonathan »

He went back to Norwich at the start of Jan. Think he's only played once in the cup for them so far

Hmmm, if he’s also played at Norwich this season does that make him ineligible to play for another club on loan?

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 28, 2018, 08:41:55 pm by Retdon1 »
Ahh Yeah I forgot about the 2 club rule... same with the lad at blades who's name was being rumoured last night.... a tough job ahead for fergy

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 28, 2018, 08:52:12 pm by Campsall rover »
It is going to be a nightmare for Fergie.
There will be plenty of 20 /21 year olds at Premiership clubs who maybe available on loan but we need some experience.
Butler is going to be almost impossible to replace I’m afraid.
I do hope I am wrong and DF’s contacts in the game produce what we desperately need.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 28, 2018, 09:27:17 pm by selby »
  We will know soon enough, the two"Ms" would do me, Mills and McGahey has got a good look to  it. Mills on a loan and McGahey on a permanent.
  Although  I hope we have the sense to look for a left and right sided pair, makes it a little harder, but makes sense. Those two would fit that template.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 28, 2018, 09:49:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
Although they are all knackered, at present Ferguson has Butler, Baudry, Wright and McCullough who are all first team, senior centre backs. That is the maximum that a club our size can and should hold.

If we are talking about bringing someone in, I doubt it is going to be anything other than a three month loan - unless Ferguson thinks now he is going to let go one or two of those above come summer.

Other folk have made point about need to bring an experienced centre back in, but that is very problematic, given only in Championship are they likely to have squads big enough to loan out an experienced head at this stage in season. Not sure we are going to contribute much towards a 20k weekly salary for someone like that.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 28, 2018, 09:51:23 pm by glosterred »
Ultimately the type of defender we need is above all fit

COYR

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 28, 2018, 10:22:15 pm by 5minstogo »
Although they are all knackered, at present Ferguson has Butler, Baudry, Wright and McCullough who are all first team, senior centre backs. That is the maximum that a club our size can and should hold.

If we are talking about bringing someone in, I doubt it is going to be anything other than a three month loan - unless Ferguson thinks now he is going to let go one or two of those above come summer.

Other folk have made point about need to bring an experienced centre back in, but that is very problematic, given only in Championship are they likely to have squads big enough to loan out an experienced head at this stage in season. Not sure we are going to contribute much towards a 20k weekly salary for someone like that.

Loan rules are different now so any loan must be until the end of the season.

This gives us the opportunity to look at who we were maybe targeting in the coming summer and snagging them early.

Will be interesting and will give us an idea of the fate of Butler

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 28, 2018, 10:35:33 pm by dickos1 »

Should hold??
So what do you suggest he should do?

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 28, 2018, 11:04:06 pm by chrisd_123 »
Where has this link to the Rochdale lad come from? Have I missed something or has someone mentioned him as a WAP and now that’s taken as we’re actually in for him?

Seen his name all over this forum but seems a little random.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 29, 2018, 04:58:33 am by RoversAlias »
There is no link, just one or two posters keep touting him at every opportunity for some reason.

I doubt we'll sign anyone permanently now, it'll be two loanees. At least one needs to have some experience though.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 29, 2018, 07:19:21 am by Jonathan »
Unless it’s seen as a chance to take the hit now on a player we might have targeted in the summer. We’re in a situation where that need could possibly be justified given the unfortunate crisis.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 29, 2018, 09:47:52 am by selby »
  Rovers Alias, as you say I have no information on whether the club are even interested in Mcgahey or not, just putting my opinion that he is the type of player we should be looking at, who are playing at our level already,with an unfashionable club who we should be able to compete with financially, and could go on to be a player we would make a profit on if he progresses further.
  Not a player who has basically had their day, have a limited shelf life, and would in all probability cost us more or as much to sign, and for less gain.
  Gaffney at Bristol Rovers off the top of my head, is another who would come into my way of thinking, as would others I have seen this season at other clubs.
  As a club we were once very good at this, McIndoe, Coppinger,Doolan, Blundell, all being signed after playing well against us, and were able to raise this club one or two levels to that which we were playing in at the time we spotted them.
  He is just a suggestion, just like Shackle and Mills have been by others, I hope he is in our sights, 6ft 2ins, 22yrs old,  can play right across the back line, and out of contract in June, if we do not sign him, I expect him to be at another club next season.
   The modern way is to loan players, which is OK as a short term fix, which I am not a lover of, unless we can gain, like Mason and Whiteman at the end of it.
 Another player who impressed me was the right back at Oxford, of course it is not that easy, and other factors like personality, way of life,come into signing players, small clubs don't want to sign trouble, and affordability is the main problem, but there are little nuggets out there that we should be, and probably are looking at.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 29, 2018, 10:09:14 am by The Red Baron »
Just as a point of information I don't believe James Coppinger ever played against us. When he started at Newcastle we were out of the League. Exeter went out of the League at the same time we came in. He played one season in the Conference and then signed for us.

Top work by whoever scouted him though.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 29, 2018, 01:34:24 pm by phil old leake »
I thought that Houghton had experience as a centre half

If that’s the case why not try him and when/if he’s fit McCullough

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 29, 2018, 02:57:36 pm by DMnumber4 »
Greg Halford?

33 years old, not getting a game at Cardiff (and unlikely to). He's made 9 appearances but been on the bench over 20 times.

Knows the area well after spells at Sheff Utd and Rotherham.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 29, 2018, 03:05:50 pm by Retdon1 »
Greg Halford?

33 years old, not getting a game at Cardiff (and unlikely to). He's made 9 appearances but been on the bench over 20 times.

Knows the area well after spells at Sheff Utd and Rotherham.

Good shout, adds some much needed height to the side too

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 29, 2018, 03:34:50 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
just seen on sky sports Burnley have recalled some defender from Pot vale so maybe coming here absolute guess

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 29, 2018, 03:38:59 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
looks suspect in fact very suspect

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2018/january/tom-anderson/
Port Vale can confirm that defender, Tom Anderson, has returned to his parent club Burnley FC after being recalled from his loan.
Tom Anderson joined the club on a season long loan on the transfer deadline day in August, however Burnley had the option to recall the defender in January and have decided to exercise that.
We would like to thank Tom for his efforts whilst at Vale Park, and everyone at the club wishes him the best in the future

they loan him to everyone played 24 games for port vale ben at chessie

https://www.transfermarkt.com/tom-anderson/profil/spieler/128828
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:45:46 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 29, 2018, 03:45:22 pm by GazLaz »

Port Vale can confirm that defender, Tom Anderson, has returned to his parent club Burnley FC after being recalled from his loan.
Tom Anderson joined the club on a season long loan on the transfer deadline day in August, however Burnley had the option to recall the defender in January and have decided to exercise that.
We would like to thank Tom for his efforts whilst at Vale Park, and everyone at the club wishes him the best in the future

He could be going somewhere, doesn’t mean it’s here though. 24 and never even had a sniff of the first team by the look of it.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 29, 2018, 03:50:21 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
played 35 games for chessie last season on loan think i'm on an each way winner here

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 29, 2018, 03:51:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
It's a bit spooky that the Development game last Tuesday was against Port Vale. Hopefully, we are in for one of the lads who played up front, as well.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 31, 2018, 02:51:47 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

they loan him to everyone played 24 games for port vale ben at chessie

https://www.transfermarkt.com/tom-anderson/profil/spieler/128828

It's a bit spooky that the Development game last Tuesday was against Port Vale. Hopefully, we are in for one of the lads who played up front, as well.

thought at the time you put the cherry on the bun (or was it BUNg) with that bit of information

TinyPortal © 2005-2012