Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:22:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Oster  (Read 5894 times)

tuffty

• Forum Member
John Oster
« on March 31, 2012, 12:24:34 am by tuffty »
This bloke is the biggest waste of time ever.

We might as well put a muppet in midfield who could give the ball away as much as him and then hold his arms out and point at everybody else that it was there fault!!!!

he does one good pass out of every ten, not bad for a midfielder.

Get rid and get somebody in who will actually fight for the ball rather than float about like a F**king fairy.

Rant over.

:rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: John Oster
« Reply #1 on March 31, 2012, 07:06:30 am by The Red Baron »
He had a shocking game. After Blackpool I'd have binned him had I been in Saunders' position, but realistically we are very short of midfielders so I can understand why he was kept.

George Friend was extremely poor too- he let King run off him all night.

donnyvikings

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 31, 2012, 07:29:34 am by donnyvikings »
Oster's been appauling for months, but there's a few other players who need to take a good look at their own performances too! We need to face facts, irrespective of it being \"mathematically\" possible to stay up.....were not good enough. The players won't or don't seem to want to play for Saunders, and to quote from one of the loan players \"its a shambles\" . Time to go Mr Saunders.......before you destroy my beloved football team.:cry:

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 31, 2012, 07:46:08 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"donnyvikings\" post=230681
Oster's been appauling for months, but there's a few other players who need to take a good look at their own performances too! We need to face facts, irrespective of it being \"mathematically\" possible to stay up.....were not good enough. The players won't or don't seem to want to play for Saunders, and to quote from one of the loan players \"its a shambles\" . Time to go Mr Saunders.......before you destroy my beloved football team.:cry:

The players didn't want to play for O'Driscoll either. So let's sack every manager, because it's so obviously the manager's fault? Get real. We should replace the players if they don't want to pay for the manager. The club is paying their wages, so they should be putting 100% into every game.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 31, 2012, 08:02:37 am by mutleyrover »
Who choses which players go out on the field and represent the club? If they dont want to play for the manager then who decides if they remain at the club?  Its his fault!!!! 9 times out of 10 that would be the manager.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 31, 2012, 08:08:51 am by mutleyrover »
Who choses which players go out on the field and represent the club? If they dont want to play for the manager then who decides if they remain at the club?  Its his fault!!!! 9 times out of 10 that would be the manager.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 31, 2012, 08:19:02 am by Wellred »
So why did we persevere so long with the previous one?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 31, 2012, 08:26:42 am by Colin C No.3 »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=230703

What, the one who took us to The Millenium Stadium, The New Wembley & The Championship?

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 31, 2012, 08:33:42 am by mutleyrover »
Because he got us playing the best football I have seen Doncaster Rovers play in my lifetime. Took the side to a level I had not seen in my lifetime and won a decent trophy and as far as I'm aware made the decisions on which players were in the team and which players came and left the club. Has any Rovers manager been more sucessful? Not in my lifetime.  To clarify the above, my lifetime is since the 70s.

He then went on to keep us at that level of football for several years and although it wasnt pretty all the time, I enjoyed going to the games and was entertained by it.

Not sure during all this time, I can say that the players didnt want to play for him, in fact listen to comments from the players who left to better their careers and you will hear only good things said.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2012, 08:34:34 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"Colin C No.3\" post=230709

What, the one who took us to The Millenium Stadium, The New Wembley & The Championship?

So we live on past glories and ignore the last 9 months of his reign? Put up with inept performances, losing game after game, a squad who didn't want to play for him, all because of what he did 4 or 5 years before?

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2012, 08:37:18 am by mutleyrover »
Those past glories earn the right to time when things aren't going well.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2012, 08:38:25 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"mutleyrover\" post=230691

If they are under contract (as Oster is), you can't just sack them. We're not exactly flush with money, so cannot bring a replacement easily. That is not the manager's fault.

If a player is not performing on the pitch then it is clearly the player's fault. By all accounts he played well at Crystal Palace (apart from one mistake), so Saunders could have been justified in expecting Oster to perform again. The problem with our players is that the performances are so unpredictable - a problem that existed at the club well before Saunders arrived!

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2012, 08:41:51 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"mutleyrover\" post=230717
Those past glories earn the right to time when things aren't going well.

Totally disagree. In any business, employees are appraised and judged on current results and performance, and not something that happened 5 years before. O'Driscoll was given more time than probably any manager in history when things were not going well.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 31, 2012, 08:47:18 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=230716

So we live on past glories and ignore the last 9 months of his reign? Put up with inept performances, losing game after game, a squad who didn't want to play for him, all because of what he did 4 or 5 years before?

Exactly.
SOD's problems started when we got into the Championship.
I go to a football match to watch my team play exciting football score goals and win games.

For the last three years under O'Driscolls management we have been utterly boring.
To some people we played great football. To me passing a ball around 22 times to your own players is totally pointless unless there isn't an end product.
Other Managers quickly sussed our style of play and let us play that way. They knew we would never really hurt them.
OK we did get some results but overall we became sterile and boring.

If you want to come home from a game thinking wow what great football we played but never mind we lost again then fine and you can think the Manager is wonderful then good for you. I'm sorry but that's not what I want.

We have got players in this team who also think like that. Its time we got rid of them and get players who want to win no matter what. Not players who think its ok to lose as long as I play well.

As for slagging DS for his press conferences and what he says, you have pretty short memories. The previous Manager in his pre match conferences sent the players on to the pitch with an already beaten attitude after bigging up the opposition every game.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 31, 2012, 08:47:29 am by Colin C No.3 »
Quote from: \"mutleyrover\" post=230715
Because he got us playing the best football I have seen Doncaster Rovers play in my lifetime. Took the side to a level I had not seen in my lifetime and won a decent trophy and as far as I'm aware made the decisions on which players were in the team and which players came and left the club. Has any Rovers manager been more sucessful? Not in my lifetime.  To clarify the above, my lifetime is since the 70s.

He then went on to keep us at that level of football for several years and although it wasnt pretty all the time, I enjoyed going to the games and was entertained by it.

Not sure during all this time, I can say that the players didnt want to play for him, in fact listen to comments from the players who left to better their careers and you will hear only good things said.

That's what I said, only shorthand!

Our kid reminded me last night of an interview given by Jason Price when he was playing for Morecombe & he said of SOD, \"My only regret is that I wasn't playing under him when I was younger. He would have made me a better player than the one I became\". Now that's a tribute.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 31, 2012, 09:04:01 am by bobjimwilly »
If Oster played good in his previous game, then fine, he deserves to start. But he shouldn't have been allowed to play at all in the 2nd half, never mind 80 mins! Every pass he completed was dubious, and the ones he gave away were because they were awful passes. Every around me saw it, why didn't Dean? :blink:

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 31, 2012, 09:11:25 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=230732
If Oster played good in his previous game, then fine, he deserves to start. But he shouldn't have been allowed to play at all in the 2nd half, never mind 80 mins! Every pass he completed was dubious, and the ones he gave away were because they were awful passes. Every around me saw it, why didn't Dean? :blink:

I can't disagree with that, but strange/lacking substitutions are hardly a new phenomenon at Rovers. We've been used to those for a number of years.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 31, 2012, 09:15:23 am by jonnydog »
Not only that, but he rarely knew who was behind him, and instead of being aware and pass he tries some fancy b*llocks and then ends up losing the ball in risky/dangerous areas.

Fancy stuff is alreet when your winning, but not when your behind. When their players were coming in from behind him, everyone around me shouted 'Man On'... Reminiscent of Forest Gump when they have to tell him to stop. Thankfully Forest Gump wasn't as simple as Oster. :)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 31, 2012, 10:25:23 am by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=230735

I can't disagree with that, but strange/lacking substitutions are hardly a new phenomenon at Rovers. We've been used to those for a number of years.

Yes we have but you are never quick to defend it when somebody says it was because of SO'D in the past.
DS should have pulled him off at half time or better still not played him at all, btw where was Keegan ?
Both Oster and Saunders should be paid up and asked  to leave our premises immediately imo.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 31, 2012, 10:43:43 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=230753
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=230735

Yes we have but you are never quick to defend it when somebody says it was because of SO'D in the past.
DS should have pulled him off at half time or better still not played him at all, btw where was Keegan ?
Both Oster and Saunders should be paid up and asked  to leave our premises immediately imo.

I think you must have mistaken me for somebody else.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 31, 2012, 10:47:23 am by hoolahoop »
Sorry fella I did , that's the trouble when your mind is racing through posts.........please take it as a general point. ;)

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 31, 2012, 10:50:35 am by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=230764
Sorry fella I did , that's the trouble when your mind is racing through posts.........please take it as a general point. ;)

No worries. I think we've seen from the last 15 months what the stress and pressure can do to everyone's minds!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 31, 2012, 10:57:57 am by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=230765
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=230764

No worries. I think we've seen from the last 15 months what the stress and pressure can do to everyone's minds!

Yep who needs mind bending drugs when you have to sit and look at the twice weekly dross we've been putting out lately. :laugh:

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 31, 2012, 11:07:10 am by Milepostuk »
I'd like to see Oster playing behind a front two with a solid midfield behind him. All this season (and last) he has had to come too deep to collect the ball and always seems too desperate to make something happen so, too many long attempted passes go astray. Also, we all know how weak he is defensively. He is still (apart from Diof) the player most likely to create something.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 31, 2012, 11:14:40 am by roversdude »
Simply not good enough Oster, surely Saunders can see this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 31, 2012, 12:08:51 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Who are you, Wellred's minder?

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 31, 2012, 12:20:01 pm by timdrfc »
The players didn't want to play for O'Driscoll either. So let's sack every manager, because it's so obviously the manager's fault? Get real. We should replace the players if they don't want to pay for the manager. The club is paying their wages, so they should be putting 100% into every game.[/quote]

Well said , people have short selective memories & the players who appear mostly in the shite performance are the players who were at the club before Saunders!

Don't forget the sick bay is full of players picking up their wages week in week out who only came here because no one else would have them with their injury records , who signed all these NOT Saunders if you can't remember.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 31, 2012, 12:54:44 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"Colin C No.3\" post=230788

Who are you, Wellred's minder?

So everything was perfect before Saunders became manager? Did you choose to obliterate January to September 2011 from your memory?

I don't care if Alex Ferguson/Arsene Wenger/Harry Redknapp/(replace with any name you want) was manager. The club was not performing as it should be, and we can't forget that just because of something good that happened 4 or 5 years before. If we lived by that philosophy the club would become regressive and we'd soon find ourselves back in non-league football, and the last 10 years progress would be wasted.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 31, 2012, 01:03:37 pm by CusworthRovers »
Is this a sweeping statement that none of the players wanted to play for SOD?

I never saw anybody come out and say that, or to be fair any rumours of that. Is this the same statement that Stock and Wellens were fighting every week.

Or is it simply guesswork to try and make an argument appear stronger.

When looking at facts, I only saw actual QUOTES from players current and past describing how good it was to play for him.

As for Oster he did some bad things agreed, but he also did many good things last night, which may some his time with us. Most of our play went through him and he saw a hell of a lot of the ball. I think Milepostuk post sums it nicely.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 31, 2012, 01:04:56 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=230811
Is this a sweeping statement that none of the players wanted to play for SOD?

I never saw anybody come out and say that, or to be fair any rumours of that. Is this the same statement that Stock and Wellens were fighting every week.

Or is it simply guesswork to try and make an argument appear stronger.

When looking at facts, I only saw actual QUOTES from players current and past describing how good it was to play for him.

As for Oster he did some bad things agreed, but he also did many good things last night, which may some his time with us. Most of our play went through him and he saw a hell of a lot of the ball. I think Milepostuk post sums it nicely.

SO'D publicly stated at the end of last season that some players clearly did not want to play for Doncaster Rovers, and they should move on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012