Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:02:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: An excellent point but............  (Read 2358 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
An excellent point but............
« on March 12, 2011, 08:41:07 pm by ravenrover »
we could have had all 3.
I live in Nottingham and you can guess what I've been hearing but I have never been so proud of a Rovers team as today.
1st half was  a case of defending from the half way line and apart from Earnshaws effort we didn't really look in trouble the defence played very well. 2nd half we played on the break and could have won it Masons effort going just wide and whose was the other effort just wide? And if Stock? had manged to rol it back to Killa after he had broke from inside our half well!!!!!
Sat in the Brian Clough Stand all I heard was \" WE should be be beating teams like this\" \" Leeds thrashed these why aren't WE\" \" I can see US losing to this lot\" suppressing a smile I was quite pleased with myself.
Just seen SSN and that nasty little man Billie Davies gave no credt to the Rovers and all they showed was Earnshaws effort in the 1st half.
Hard to pick my MoM I thought that everybody including Wilson played well but I would say that Gillett just shaded it for me but they were all magnificent.
Players are coming back and credit to them and SO'D for todays performance. :scarf:  :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: An excellent point but............
« Reply #1 on March 12, 2011, 08:50:51 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=146476
we could have had all 3.
I live in Nottingham and you can guess what I've been hearing but I have never been so proud of a Rovers team as today.
1st half was  a case of defending from the half way line and apart from Earnshaws effort we didn't really look in trouble the defence played very well. 2nd half we played on the break and could have won it Masons effort going just wide and whose was the other effort just wide? And if Stock? had manged to rol it back to Killa after he had broke from inside our half well!!!!!
Sat in the Brian Clough Stand all I heard was \" WE should be be beating teams like this\" \" Leeds thrashed these why aren't WE\" \" I can see US losing to this lot\" suppressing a smile I was quite pleased with myself.
Just seen SSN and that nasty little man Billie Davies gave no credt to the Rovers and all they showed was Earnshaws effort in the 1st half.
Hard to pick my MoM I thought that everybody including Wilson played well but I would say that Gillett just shaded it for me but they were all magnificent.
Players are coming back and credit to them and SO'D for todays performance. :scarf:  :scarf:

Pity that raven I was enjoying your post until you came out with that........including Wilson. :thumbdown:

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 12, 2011, 09:07:51 pm by donnievic »
a truely well earned point today against a team on paper is alot stronger than our squad and a huge wage bill but you wont get davies praising anyone apart from his team and male excuses up,he has even been saying lately that he needs more players,oh the luxury of that.            And it apparently showed masons chance not long after 5 on skysports so i have been told.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 12, 2011, 09:08:34 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=146479
Pity that raven I was enjoying your post until you came out with that........including Wilson. :thumbdown:

I would like to think that he means..... as Wilson is coming back from injury...

didnt we once work out on here that when Wilson and Gillett play together we let in fewer goals then any other midfield pairing?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 12, 2011, 09:57:01 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=146483
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=146479

I would like to think that he means..... as Wilson is coming back from injury...

didnt we once work out on here that when Wilson and Gillett play together we let in fewer goals then any other midfield pairing?

We did indeed , I hope that you're right and that I have misinterpreted raven's post.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 12, 2011, 09:58:12 pm by ravenrover »
If you've read any of my previous thoughts about Wilson you would know that it was a great praise for him from me. He was a bit shaky to start, as usual he couldn't pass to a Rovers player in the 1st 10-15mins but broke play up and even pushed forward making a couple of what are described statistically \"shots off target\"
And no not because he is coming back from injury although after today he might be out for a while walked off with a groin injury....that bloody Keepmoat pitch again :side:
I don't want to get into a \"Wilson\" debate after todays performance but with a fully fit squad he wouldn't be on the bench but that's just my humble opinion, nothing more. When he went off today and Mason came on we started pushing forward more and looked the more likely team in the 2nd half.
I would also add that I have not been a big fan of Martis but I thought he played well and playing alongside Friend (another who I have not been very complimentary about as a full back) the defence looked far better than it has, could that be because Thomas wasn't playing?
Also have to add that Killgallon showed what he can bring to the party and even with Friend moving to the right side of the centre 2 it didn't make any difference to my confidence in the way they defended.
Take nothing away from an excellent all-round performance.
And a big plus Muzzy got a run, which might be a shame for Sam because I think he has played well at right back, but to be fair I thought he has played well in the middle as well, but Muzzy offers that bit more in attack.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 12, 2011, 10:08:22 pm by Viking Don »
Wondered which of the two left footed CH's would move to the right when Killa came on.

So George has now played left back, left centre half and right centre half. Is Sean slowly working towards turning him into a right back?

Full praise to the lad, sign of a good footballer.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 12, 2011, 10:22:17 pm by BobG »
Hear hear Don. George is going to be a bloody good asset to this club - if he isn't that already.

BobG

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 12, 2011, 10:26:43 pm by ravenrover »
But not as a left back ;)

adsrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 12, 2011, 10:41:03 pm by adsrover »
he has already played rightback

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 12, 2011, 10:43:12 pm by Viking Don »
TBH now people have got off his back, they may think again when he does play left back. I didn't see him do much wrong when he was there and I think it's just people who don't really know too much about that role in Sean's sides that complained. Shrewd move by Sean to move him to CH so those fans can see we've got a very good player, who hopefully won't be so blinkered when he moves him back to his natural position when Mills goes back.

People say he was always out of position. I say he was always playing in exactly the position he was asked to. Only an idiot wants a left back to be bombing forward and then expect them to be defending at the same time. No left back in the world can be in two places at the same time. Unless they're quantum mechanics.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 13, 2011, 10:13:02 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=146509
TBH now people have got off his back, they may think again when he does play left back. I didn't see him do much wrong when he was there and I think it's just people who don't really know too much about that role in Sean's sides that complained. Shrewd move by Sean to move him to CH so those fans can see we've got a very good player, who hopefully won't be so blinkered when he moves him back to his natural position when Mills goes back.

People say he was always out of position. I say he was always playing in exactly the position he was asked to. Only an idiot wants a left back to be bombing forward and then expect them to be defending at the same time. No left back in the world can be in two places at the same time. Unless they're quantum mechanics.

From this comment I assume you think you know what that role was and that some of us have no idea about playing football ?
The first job of a defender is to have the ability and discipline to defend, the 2nd is to provide an attacking option when and if possible without exposing the defence, particularly a defence as poor on occasions as I've seen in red and white.
Friend is/was one of the worst defensive left backs I have seen in this division good going forward but terrible defending, Roberts managed to attack and defend in equal measures so on that basis form your post SO'D is the idiot, or am I missing something? Think about it have you sen him any where near the half way line with the ball since he was moved to CB? He is disciplined in that position to defend 1st. 2nd an 3rd not to go bombing forward with no chance of recovering his position to defend.
The day SO'D lets Mills go and prefers Friend at left back is the day I will really question SO'Ds position as a manager.
And to think this post was started to praise  an excellent performance of the team as a whole including George Friend.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 14, 2011, 05:29:29 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=146624

From this comment I assume you think you know what that role was and that some of us have no idea about playing football ?
The first job of a defender is to have the ability and discipline to defend, the 2nd is to provide an attacking option when and if possible without exposing the defence, particularly a defence as poor on occasions as I've seen in red and white.
Friend is/was one of the worst defensive left backs I have seen in this division good going forward but terrible defending, Roberts managed to attack and defend in equal measures so on that basis form your post SO'D is the idiot, or am I missing something? Think about it have you sen him any where near the half way line with the ball since he was moved to CB? He is disciplined in that position to defend 1st. 2nd an 3rd not to go bombing forward with no chance of recovering his position to defend.
The day SO'D lets Mills go and prefers Friend at left back is the day I will really question SO'Ds position as a manager.
And to think this post was started to praise  an excellent performance of the team as a whole including George Friend.

Completely agree with the first of those two points Raven, but on my viewing of Mills of late, you're way off the mark with the second.  Even just taking Saturday's game, Forest created some great chances coming down our left side with JM offering little resistance, and it was a similar story at L**ds.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 15, 2011, 08:49:43 am by bobjimwilly »

Why do you think it's only people who \"don't really know too much about that role in Sean's sides\" that complained? :huh:

I didn't think he was as good at left back because \"in seans sides\", as you put it, the full backs are expected to be able to \"bomb forward\", be an outlet for the midfield players, and be able to cross the ball/link up with attacking players. IMO I don't think he did any of them things particularly well, but he did seem to lose the ball quite alot when going forward, which isn't good when you've just left loads of space behind you! Think of JOC, he could do all those things, as well as tackle and head the ball when needed. Friend can tackle, and can head the ball, and he knows when to clear/pass along the floor, which is why he is better suited to CB, IMO

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 15, 2011, 01:36:26 pm by CusworthRovers »
Agree about Leeds and Forest; Mills was hardly Mr defensive kingpin nor threatening going forwards. Then again v Coventry, the balance of the side was not restored until we put Georgio at left back and subsequently Sam at RB.

The LB/RB pogs are integral to the way we play and it's how Sean briefs them in what he wants them to do ie stay back or attack and give them something to think about. Robbo had the benefit of a solid CH partnership last season and more importantly a left footed/sided Shack as cover for when he bombed forward. Not a bad fallback really, for when he was caught up field.

Our full backs, inclusive of GF, JM, JOC, SH, JC, MD have not had the luxury of a solid CH partnership, nor even a settled midfield to help them in their role.

I would love Mills to sign and share (depending on the game type) left back duties with Georgio. I do like the look of a Mills LB and GF left sided CH. It's already looking good now, and both players are still young in terms of years, playing for DRFC and playing together. The futures so bright, I think I'm gonna wear shades

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 15, 2011, 09:10:37 pm by RedJ »
:laugh: You darn't turn up in full beach-goer's gear to QPR :P

TinyPortal © 2005-2012