Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:33:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scottish Prem  (Read 1168 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Scottish Prem
« on May 18, 2020, 03:30:01 pm by ravenrover »
votes to end season Celtic champions Hearts relegated, the Hearts owner is already talking about a legal challenge. Is this a foretaste of what might happen this side of the border?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Re: Scottish Prem
« Reply #1 on May 19, 2020, 08:51:12 am by phil old leake »
I can See the Hearts situation dragging on through the courts which will delay anything re starting next season
This could just be the start if there is this constant insistence on issuing trophies to non confirmed winners
Do people not think the likes of Norwich and Brighton will challenge relegation and so on down the pyramid

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 19, 2020, 08:52:08 am by phil old leake »
I think if DRFC were being relegated in these circumstances I’d expect everyone on here to be up in arms and kicking off

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 19, 2020, 09:41:17 am by IDM »
This is why ppg is grossly unfair.

If they use it in league one, DRFC would be ok as we couldn’t go down, and whilst we had a chance of the play offs that wasn’t guaranteed either.  But for those clubs who had a really good chance of avoiding relegation, they are being punished quite arbitrarily if ppg relegates them.

So whilst not makes little difference to the club I support, I think it is a terrible choice.

I know I have no influence in the decisions,  it’s play or void IMHO.

If despite that, the clubs do vote to use ppg and also that crazy idea to retain play offs for promotion, then it is surely also fair to have relegation play offs.?

Why should some teams have a chance to play football to win promotion if others can’t play football to avoid relegation.?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 19, 2020, 10:40:51 am by idler »
There is already provision for play offs. Relegation teams don’t have the same option anymore.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 19, 2020, 10:50:56 am by IDM »
There is already provision for play offs. Relegation teams don’t have the same option anymore.

Yes I know that, but if the league can make arrangements for promotion play offs still to be played, but not any other regular games, how is it fair that the team in 6th place (or even lower if some plans come to fruition) can be allowed to achieve success on the pitch this season, but the club 3rd from bottom can’t.?

If they can make special provision to play the play offs, then they can do something about relegation issues in the pitch too..

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 19, 2020, 10:59:30 am by idler »
If they only include the clubs that finish in the normal play off places then I don’t think that the club third bottom have as much clout in any argument.
Once you get Peterborough and Ipswich coming up with convoluted ideas to suit their own agenda then it muddies the waters.
I’m sure most Southend and Bolton fans were resigned to going down. Tranmere less so but they looked a very poor side against us. The teams are where they deserve to be on the games played. 
Only my opinion of course and it has no more value than anyone else’s.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 19, 2020, 11:07:24 am by IDM »
If they only include the clubs that finish in the normal play off places then I don’t think that the club third bottom have as much clout in any argument.
Once you get Peterborough and Ipswich coming up with convoluted ideas to suit their own agenda then it muddies the waters.
I’m sure most Southend and Bolton fans were resigned to going down. Tranmere less so but they looked a very poor side against us. The teams are where they deserve to be on the games played. 
Only my opinion of course and it has no more value than anyone else’s.

Yes the table is correct based on performances up to now.

My point here is about playing football or not.  If there is an artificial means used to calculate a table after 44 games, why not use the same method to then determine what the play off results would be.

If they can’t play football then they shouldn’t play ANY football, but if they can play some, all should be able to play to influence the outcome of their seasons.

I respect that the above is your opinion, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:12:46 am by IDM »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 19, 2020, 11:33:38 am by idler »
The problem is that it is in the interests of the top few to come to a conclusion that may benefit them. They are also better off financially so can afford to do it. I'm sure that if Tranmere,Rochdale and Wimbledon were asked to play behind closed doors they wouldn't want to due the costs involved, plus the costs to their opponents. Whichever formula is applied there will be anger and disappointment from those that lose out.
I personally feel that having played so much of the season teams that have performed better than most should be rewarded.

WearsideRover

« Reply #9 on May 19, 2020, 01:08:02 pm by WearsideRover »
The fact of the matter is, if you're a Celtic fan, its the right and most ethical way to do things considering the circumstances. If you're a Hearts fan, then... well you can imagine how they'll feel about it. If it was Rovers who had been relegated, I'd be absolutely fuming, alternatively if we we're handed the title it just wouldn't sit right. Some fans will find a subconscious way to support whatever narrative suits their team and come up with a rationale as to why that is the best possible outcome, without looking at the bigger picture.

Personally, I disagree with the way the SPFL has been concluded, it impacts the credibility of the game. If the season can't be finished on the pitch, then void it. If Celtic or Liverpool had mathematically won the league, then that's a different conversation. But as it stands there was 24 points left to play for in that league, Rangers had a game in hand and were 10 points adrift of Celtic. As we all know in football, anything can happen.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 19, 2020, 07:54:44 pm by drfchound »
Celtic have won the SPL for the last nine years.
If football is played next season they will almost certainly win it again so I don’t think it is an issue to award the title to them given that they are ten points clear with only 24 points to play for.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 19, 2020, 08:00:38 pm by idler »
You couldn't expect them to lose more than one game in those final eight given their form and the opposition they face every game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012