Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:02:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Liverpool VAR  (Read 1790 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Liverpool VAR
« on October 17, 2020, 09:09:09 pm by ravenrover »
Just watched the game back on record
1 How was it not deemed that Pickford should have had a red for the assault on Virgil? Even tbe pet ref on BT said it was irrelevant that he was offside

2 How did the commentators or pundits, ex pros, not pick up that Mane had come back from an offside position for the Henderson goal? All they could talk about was whether he was offside when he received the ball
And then they complain about VAR, really?!!!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: Liverpool VAR
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2020, 09:14:39 pm by EasyforDennis »
Just watched the game back on record
1 How was it not deemed that Pickford should have had a red for the assault on Virgil? Even tbe pet ref on BT said it was irrelevant that he was offside

2 How did the commentators or pundits, ex pros, not pick up that Mane had come back from an offside position for the Henderson goal? All they could talk about was whether he was offside when he received the ball
And then they complain about VAR, really?!!!!

Totally ridiculous I agree. What would have happened if Pickford had stood up and thumped Van Dyk? Would it not have mattered because he was off side?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 17, 2020, 09:21:52 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It's nots surprising anymore they'll be at least one clanger tomorrow as well.

On the Mane one it doesn't really matter if we was coming back from been offside if he's onside when the ball is played. Which from the freeze frame they used it looks like he is.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 17, 2020, 09:34:32 pm by ravenrover »
I am no expert but this
  Your player was in an offside position at one point and then moved to a different place on the field where he may have looked like he was in an onside position, but he wasn’t, he was still in an offside position because he “carried” it with him.  This is often referred to as “coming from an offside position” and is matched by its exact opposite — “coming from an onside position” which refers to an attacker who makes contact with the ball in an apparent offside position but remains onside (and shouldn’t be called for a violation) because he was in an onside position when his teammate last played/touched the ball

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 17, 2020, 09:40:22 pm by redwine »
Double standards on the Richarlison sending off.

I'm sure the ref blew for the foul before he lunged in.

Very similar to Pickford , one stays one goes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 17, 2020, 09:55:12 pm by Filo »
Red every day of the week, Pickford is shit, how he’s England no1 I’ll never know

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 17, 2020, 09:56:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I am no expert but this
  Your player was in an offside position at one point and then moved to a different place on the field where he may have looked like he was in an onside position, but he wasn’t, he was still in an offside position because he “carried” it with him.  This is often referred to as “coming from an offside position” and is matched by its exact opposite — “coming from an onside position” which refers to an attacker who makes contact with the ball in an apparent offside position but remains onside (and shouldn’t be called for a violation) because he was in an onside position when his teammate last played/touched the ball

I'm not sure what "carrying" offside is. All that matters is that at the time of playing the ball he's onside. Whether he's coming back from been offside or running towards the goal doesn't matter it's where the line is at the time of playing the pass. As far as i know at least.

Coming from an offside position happens mostly where a long free kick is taken and the forward who is stood offside, at the time of the pass, has time to drop back in front of the defence to battle for the ball. Nothing like that happened in this case.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2020, 10:38:29 pm by Drover »
Thing is VAR does'nt make any decisions,it's just a tool to try and give more information that may have been missed by the decision maker/makers,the decisions are still made by humans,hence mistakes are still made.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 18, 2020, 07:41:22 am by drfchound »
Having seen these incidents on MOTD I reckon that the Henderson goal should have been allowed.
Mane was level so not offside, it is ridiculous to say that he was ahead of the last in line defender.
Pickford was dangerously reckless with that challenge on VanDyke and should have been sent off.
Very poor officiating in my opinion, especially with having the benefit of that VAR thing that is ruining football.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 18, 2020, 08:25:04 am by EasyforDennis »
VAR isn't the problem. It is the fact that English referees are so poor that is the problem.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 18, 2020, 08:28:36 am by drfchound »
Yes I know, that’s why I said poor officiating even with the use of VAR.
The refs have always got the option of looking at the screen.
However, even prior to VAR, the decision not to send off Pickford was an exceptionally bad one.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 18, 2020, 08:55:12 am by Padge_DRFC »
VAR was used perfectly for Man Utd first goal. Maya was half a yard offside. 5 seconds goal disallowed. Clear obvious error. They shouldn't have had a penalty though in the same game in my opinion.

PDS01

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 18, 2020, 10:05:40 am by PDS01 »
One thing I think cricket has got right with the use of technology is “umpires call” it means that only substantial errors are corrected otherwise the on field decision stands.

Mane was not given offside on the field and there is no way you could say one way or the other if at the moment the pass was made he was. How many frames per second does hd tv run at? It’s impossible to match the touch of the ball with his position to the degree of accuracy they are trying to apply. Umpires call. The onfield decision should stand.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 18, 2020, 10:17:01 am by dickos1 »
Umpires call is only used though I think when they’re looking at the ball bouncing as they’re guessing really how the ball would bounce. So when it’s close for LBW or hitting the Top of the wicket they use umpires call.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 18, 2020, 11:00:13 am by EasyforDennis »
The big question however is. Has VAR improved the general football experience. My answer would have to be a bit fat NO.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 18, 2020, 08:47:26 pm by ravenrover »
Whilst I think that Oliver is one of the better refs at the moment he does now seem to have a tendency to rely on VAR for some of his decisions, yesterday was an example with both incidents as was the Blades phantom goal at Villa. He seems to shrug his shoulders as if to say out of my control VAR made the decision

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 18, 2020, 10:27:00 pm by tyke1962 »
Thrown the PL a bit more open given the extent of Virgil's injury , shame for the lad don't get me wrong but that's football .

Liverpool were last season's champions and deservedly so but they didn't half have VAR as a friend along the way .

Nice to see Everton and Villa at the top , two great traditional clubs .

Could be interesting this season in the PL .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 18, 2020, 10:54:40 pm by selby »
   Van Dyke was lucky to be on the field, a lot of players would have been sent off for his first two tackles of the game for two bookings, but he plays for Liverpool
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:01:58 pm by selby »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 19, 2020, 12:24:03 am by Colemans Left Hook »
   Van Dyke was lucky to be on the field, a lot of players would have been sent off for his first two tackles of the game for two bookings, but he plays for Liverpool

took a dislike for him when he "went on strike" at Southampton  ... lest we forget ..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/21/virgil-van-dijk-training-alone-southampton-wants-leave-liverpool

Virgil van Dijk has in effect gone on strike at Southampton in an attempt to force a transfer, according to Mauricio Pellegrino. The manager said the defender had told him he wanted to leave and was not available to play for the club. Pellegrino has responded by ordering the Holland international to train alone.

Van Dijk was the subject of a botched move by Liverpool earlier in the summer, with Southampton reporting the Merseyside club to the Premier League for an alleged illegal approach. Liverpool made a public apology to try to defuse the tensions and they promised that their interest in the player had ended, although they have continued to covet him and he remains their sole defensive target. They had been willing to pay £60m................ He is under contract at St Mary’s until 2022.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012