Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:35:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Standing at the game  (Read 12755 times)

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
Standing at the game
« on February 14, 2010, 12:31:18 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Over the past few months I have noticed that more and more people at games I have seen on the telly (mostly premiership games) are standing for the whole 90 minutes. Not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but it seems far more common now than it was a short time ago.

Personally I really miss being able to stand and it certainly affects the atmosphere having to sit. It just doesn't feel right sitting down and singing for some reason.

Is it time for us stand up again?

Is it possible to do this without people who don't want to stand getting the hump because they can't see?

An 'unofficial' standing section maybe?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re:Standing at the game
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2010, 12:44:56 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
There's a safety issue with standing in seating areas, so can't see how any planning can be done to make this effective.

Don't know where the campaign has got to on this - anyone know? Last I heard was the idea of having small sections for standing. I'd suggest at the KM a section of 50% across of the south stand, in the centre, and about 75% down from the top would be about right. That would give room for about 1,000 to 1,500 standing. Prices the same as seated. All away fans seated of course. Is it poss?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2010, 12:53:19 pm by MrFrost »
All the Forest fans did it yesterday, and alot of other clubs have done. If we did it at away games, some moaning tw@t would have a go.

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2010, 01:04:59 pm by thornerover94 »
i have tried standing several times in keepmoat and always get someone behind me moaning and end up arguing, ive had it a couple of times in away games aswell, the way i see it i paid for my seat if i dont want to sit in it thats up to me now i always try and get near the back of stands on away games even if im not supposed to be there just so i can stand, i do believe there was a vote went round at belle vue for non standing section which never came into effect when we moved to keepmoat, anyone know why this was??

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2010, 01:14:39 pm by MrFrost »
Because the council recieved monies from a football foundation I believe to support the funding and we wouldn't have recieved this if it wasn't all seater I believe.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2010, 01:21:45 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
thornerover94 wrote:
i have tried standing several times in keepmoat and always get someone behind me moaning and end up arguing, ive had it a couple of times in away games aswell, the way i see it i paid for my seat if i dont want to sit in it thats up to me

People have a right to complain too.

I sometimes take my old man who physically couldn't stand for the whole game and I would tell them to sit down too.

Why should he pay good money and see nothing of the game?

Fair enough standing if everyone is standing, or if there is noone behind you, or if it is an 'unofficial' standing area, otherwise it's just going to cause moaning and grumbling.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2010, 01:34:46 pm by silent majority »
We're making progress, albeit a bit slow at the moment as we do have legislation issues;

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/LibDemsbacksafestanding.php?id=added|desc|90|

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2010, 01:44:38 pm by not on facebook »
standing in seated areas at fottball grounds and you run risk of been frog marched out of ground by stewards or police....

....strange thing is the name of said part of ground you are getting thrown out of has a good chance of been called 'east,west,north,south stand' etc etc.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2010, 01:57:21 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
oslorovers wrote:
standing in seated areas at fottball grounds and you run risk of been frog marched out of ground by stewards or police....

....strange thing is the name of said part of ground you are getting thrown out of has a good chance of been called 'east,west,north,south stand' etc etc.

Thing is Oslo if enough people do it then they don't take action.

I noticed at Chelsea's game yesterday the Shed End was stood for the whole game, ditto Leeds v Spurs and quite a few other games recently.

It seems like supporters are just thinking fook it, we're all standing and stewards realising they can't throw out 30 odd thosand people are not taking action.

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2010, 02:07:09 pm by thornerover94 »
Snods Shinpad wrote:
thornerover94 wrote:
i have tried standing several times in keepmoat and always get someone behind me moaning and end up arguing, ive had it a couple of times in away games aswell, the way i see it i paid for my seat if i dont want to sit in it thats up to me

I sometimes take my old man who physically couldn't stand for the whole game and I would tell them to sit down too.

Fair enough standing if everyone is standing, or if there is noone behind you, or if it is an 'unofficial' standing area, otherwise it's just going to cause moaning and grumbling.

that is quite fair, but i would also say no disrespect intended if someone is unable to stand wouldnt it make sense for them to be sat on the front row or somewhere near if they struggle standing for long periods, i would not intentionally stand in front of someone of old age or who was disabled i am talking about younger people and middle aed men/women

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2010, 02:29:23 pm by Sandy Lane »
I remember about a year of so ago, that David Cameron mentioned that he was going to look into terraces again.  I figured it was just the Tories trying to gain votes from the footballs fans who may not traditionally be Tory supporters, and of course it would most likely be voted down due to safety issues.  So it would be a win win situation for him.

But I haven't read anything about it recently, but who knows with an election looming if he has the nerve to bring it up again...

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 14, 2010, 02:36:26 pm by Wellred »
thornerover94 wrote:
Snods Shinpad wrote:
thornerover94 wrote:

that is quite fair, but i would also say no disrespect intended if someone is unable to stand wouldnt it make sense for them to be sat on the front row or somewhere near if they struggle standing for long periods, i would not intentionally stand in front of someone of old age or who was disabled i am talking about younger people and middle aed men/women

So now your telling someone else where they can sit so you are allowed to stand?
Seats are there for a purpose. To f*****g sit on them.
As a club we have progressed from a crap ground to a very comfortable all seater stadium.
If you want to stand why not go and watch Armthorpe Welfare. I am sure you will be more than welcome to stand wherever you want for the whole 90 minutes.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 14, 2010, 02:38:39 pm by MrFrost »
Wellred wrote:
thornerover94 wrote:
Snods Shinpad wrote:
thornerover94 wrote:

How do people who can't stand for 90 minutes go on when fans, like Forest did stood for the entire game yesterday? Same can be said of Sheff Weds, Barnsley etc who have visited this season.

So now your telling someone else where they can sit so you are allowed to stand?
Seats are there for a purpose. To f*****g sit on them.
As a club we have progressed from a crap ground to a very comfortable all seater stadium.
If you want to stand why not go and watch Armthorpe Welfare. I am sure you will be more than welcome to stand wherever you want for the whole 90 minutes.

How do fans of teams who cant stand up for the game go on who stand up for the entire 90 mins. Ie Forest yesterday, Wednesday, Barnsley, have all stood for the entire game at the Keepmoat.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2010, 02:49:58 pm by Metalmicky »
I can't understand why people feel the need to stand in order to watch a game.  The stadium is designed for all seating and everyone has an excellent view of the pitch.  The exception to this is if you are unfortunate enough to be sat behind some inconsiderate individual who is unable to show enough restraint to remain seated and insists on jumping up and down like a yoyo throughout the game - spoiling it for others behind them who want to watch the game.  

When watching a match in the comfort of their homes, I’m sure that supporters don’t feel the need to stand up continually throughout the ninety minutes – so why should they when at the Keepmoat!  

Does this make me a bad supporter?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 14, 2010, 02:51:56 pm by not on facebook »
for the record iam for standing at football games,via the choice of certian parts of ground deemed standing only.

you can not gererate a 'decent atmosphere when most 'bums'are seated.

the only times when you do get most of any of todays top flight all seated stadiums
with the crowd staning and stewards turning a blind eye depends on the situation of the game.

if its last games of season and relegation or league titles are at stakes, odd facup games,carling cup games.

reason for facup games and carling cup games is that it attracts the fans from yester years since in main season ticket holders have to now buy for said games.think you get the picture iam painting.

you just have to read 'wellreds' response to standing which is my point.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 14, 2010, 03:02:18 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Metalmicky wrote:
I can't understand why people feel the need to stand in order to watch a game.

I prefer to stand. Each to their own. A few games this season I've nearly frozen to death sitting their unable to move around.

It would be nice to have the choice.

Metalmicky wrote:
The stadium is designed for all seating and everyone has an excellent view of the pitch.  The exception to this is if you are unfortunate enough to be sat behind some inconsiderate individual who is unable to show enough restraint to remain seated and insists on jumping up and down like a yoyo throughout the game - spoiling it for others behind them who want to watch the game.  

Agree, but if there was a clear distinction between standing and sitting areas that problem wouldn't arise.

Metalmicky wrote:
Does this make me a bad supporter?

Of course not. You prefer to sit and watch the game without someone blocking your view. Nothing wrong with that.

Mr Croft

« Reply #16 on February 14, 2010, 03:30:02 pm by Mr Croft »
I am yet to see a match on 'Match of the Day' where The away fans are seated. One that stood out for me was Arsenal at home To Villa, the Villa fans were stood up for 90 minutes depsite losing 3-0. I am also yet to see a Sheffield Wednesday fan on their travels sat down.

I do think that compared to our home support, our away following is very good. However I think that the next step of our away support is to try and get everybody stood up. Those that wish to seat can make there way to the bottom to sit, or don't bother turning up. No disrespect intended but clearly this problem does not occur at other clubs, the only fans you see sat down on there travels is disabled supporters, with most grounds providing a disabled area.

Of course this is only what I believe and my opinion. People may see it differently and wish to sit down. If that is the case then fair enough. But when we do visit other grounds there is at least one stand where the home fans are all on there feet, at Cardiff is was to the right of Rovers fans. At Coventry is was the corner near the Tesco Stand. Derby was next to the away supporters on the right, Sheffield Uniteds is the goal side opposite, Wednesdays is the kop chelsea have the Shed end, West brom is next to the away fans, likewise with Reading. Surely if a team like Cardiff that have had there new ground in under a year can sort out a standing section among there fans then we can do likewise

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 14, 2010, 03:42:55 pm by stockyboy »
I'd love for us to all stand at away games, it looks awesome when you see other fans doing it on TV. It also gets atmosphere going as well.

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 14, 2010, 03:58:37 pm by thornerover94 »
when i go to a game i dont see myself as paying for 1 seat to sit i see it as paying to watch my team for wherever and however i see fit if i want to stand up or bounce around for 90 minutes i will do it if someone sat behind me doesnt like it then next time they will have to choose to sit somewhere else

i am also for the fans standing at away games it does create a better atmosphere for those fans who want it i feel after this discussion we do have to look at getting an unofficial standing area going and maybe also look to make this so called singing section also

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 14, 2010, 04:08:38 pm by timdrfc »
I for one prefer sitting, my worse viewing occasion came at last years  Wolves away game. Where two lads came late and stood for virtually the whole game infront of me. Even after being asked four times  one of the lads was too ignorant to sit. I thought the line of Police stood next to the wall where we were sat would do something but no,  so my days entertainment was spoilt by someone who had no thought but for  himself.

Seats have made it safer & allow better viewing for all & thats the way it should stay.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 14, 2010, 04:20:26 pm by Metalmicky »
thornerover94 wrote:
when i go to a game i dont see myself as paying for 1 seat to sit i see it as paying to watch my team for wherever and however i see fit if i want to stand up or bounce around for 90 minutes i will do it if someone sat behind me doesnt like it then next time they will have to choose to sit somewhere else

What an absolutely ignorant, conceited and juvenile comment that is - how stupid can you get.  

Of course you are paying for your seat – who do you think you are?  Are you more important than the rest of the supporters who turn up and pay the same money?

Should you choose to act like a plum and stand up for 90 minutes regardless of other peoples considerations then I dare say that Doncaster Rovers could do without your support.  There is another team down the road who may be more appreciative of your chimp like intelligence.

Mr Croft

« Reply #21 on February 14, 2010, 04:25:33 pm by Mr Croft »
timdrfc wrote:
I for one prefer sitting, my worse viewing occasion came at last years  Wolves away game. Where two lads came late and stood for virtually the whole game infront of me. Even after being asked four times  one of the lads was too ignorant to sit. I thought the line of Police stood next to the wall where we were sat would do something but no,  so my days entertainment was spoilt by someone who had no thought but for  himself.

Seats have made it safer & allow better viewing for all & thats the way it should stay.

The Lad in question was not wearing a suit was he ? :blink:

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 14, 2010, 04:31:39 pm by thornerover94 »
Metalmicky wrote:
thornerover94 wrote:

What an absolutely ignorant, conceited and juvenile comment that is - how stupid can you get.  

Of course you are paying for your seat – who do you think you are?  Are you more important than the rest of the supporters who turn up and pay the same money?

Should you choose to act like a plum and stand up for 90 minutes regardless of other peoples considerations then I dare say that Doncaster Rovers could do without your support.  There is another team down the road who may be more appreciative of your chimp like intelligence.

i just go to enjoy watching my team play if i want to stand then i will stand if you want to sit you can sit i just cant get into a game if im sat, it doesnt feel right, i spent all my time at belle vue stood in the pop and that for me was better than being sat down in the keepmoat i like the fact we have a new stadium an all that but just feel that football is now suited for those who want to sit and not the ones albeit a small majority according to you who like to stand and really get into the game

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 14, 2010, 04:32:52 pm by danrover82 »
Its amazing how often this subject comes up. Yeah standing at OBV was fantastic, but you cant beat the moment when you jump out of your seat for a bad tackle or when the ball hits the onion bag.

I for one like to take my son to games and if standing was introduced this would almost certainly stop, as he and most other kids wouldn't be able to see. Are we not supposed to be encouraging these younger fans to keep coming, and grow the fan base that many moan about not growing?

Mr Croft

« Reply #24 on February 14, 2010, 04:39:15 pm by Mr Croft »
danrover82 wrote:
Its amazing how often this subject comes up. Yeah standing at OBV was fantastic, but you cant beat the moment when you jump out of your seat for a bad tackle or when the ball hits the onion bag.

I for one like to take my son to games and if standing was introduced this would almost certainly stop, as he and most other kids wouldn't be able to see. Are we not supposed to be encouraging these younger fans to keep coming, and grow the fan base that many moan about not growing?

there are too many pros and cons for both situations, e.g. it does look good to see a whole seated stand stand up for a goal in celebration whereas it looks less effective if stood up.

I understand about the situation with kids as well, they cannot see if everyone stands, which is why it would be most effective to make it so there is a section in the keepmoat where you go to stand up rather than sit down. Therefore if you choose to bring those that cannot stand due to different reasons there are areas available around the ground to suit everyones needs.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 14, 2010, 04:44:16 pm by danrover82 »
I agree to a standing section, problem you have now is that someone or many people wont want to move after settling in their seat over the years. Which causes a problem for where you would put it. I

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 14, 2010, 04:46:44 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
There's barely been an away game where I've sat, I usually make a point of standing right at the back.  No issue there.  If I'm not right at the back I will not.

What gets my back up is the moaners who moan when you do stand.  Not for the whole game but when you jump up for a couple of seconds as a natural reaction or because all those in front of you are doing so.  WHy should I sit and look at someone's back if they're stood in front of me?  If they're sat and I'm nowhere near the back I'll gladly and do sit down.  But some of these people are ridiculous.  Don't even get me started on the people who come and sit on the very back row when a stand is half full and then moan all around are stood.  A simple 5 or 6 rows down and there's usually room to sit and watch.  Some people just love the argument.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 14, 2010, 06:08:37 pm by Metalmicky »
thornerover94 wrote:
Metalmicky wrote:

i just go to enjoy watching my team play if i want to stand then i will stand if you want to sit you can sit i just cant get into a game if im sat, it doesnt feel right, i spent all my time at belle vue stood in the pop and that for me was better than being sat down in the keepmoat i like the fact we have a new stadium an all that but just feel that football is now suited for those who want to sit and not the ones albeit a small majority according to you who like to stand and really get into the game

I also go to watch my team playing – however I am not that ignorant and self righteous that I would choose to stand in front of a fellow Rovers supporter.  

I also used to stand at Belle Vue and given the opportunity I would probably do so again - however, there is no standing area in an 'all seater’ stadium.  For you to say that football is now ‘suited’ to those who want to sit is a pretty crass comment also - there is no option pal, unless you choose to be ignoramus and blatently stand in front of others.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 14, 2010, 06:11:36 pm by MrFrost »
So this begs the question, most clubs will now stand at away games. How do the fans of those clubs who want to sit down do this. They dont. Simple. I'd love to have us all stood up on Tuesday night. It creates a better atmosphere. I don't know why, but it does.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 14, 2010, 06:27:33 pm by not on facebook »
yorkshire pudding i bet my last dollar that the moaners that you on about that moan when you stand up for a few monments when a goal is scored etc etc

are the exact people that are streaming out of KMS in their hoards when rovers are 2nil down with 10 mins to go....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012