Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:11:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Heffernan  (Read 6801 times)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
Paul Heffernan
« on February 15, 2010, 09:18:02 pm by watto-drfc »
man of the match performance tonight and a great goal to.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
Re:Paul Heffernan
« Reply #1 on February 15, 2010, 09:20:14 pm by Woodhead Passer »
He took that with confidence and composure, i just think he cant do that in the championship, he'll go there in july i reckon easily

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on February 15, 2010, 09:28:56 pm by VikingJames »
Can't do it in the Championship?

Who was our top scorer last season?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 15, 2010, 09:30:47 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It wasn't great defending.  Nice to see him score and be involved though he's done what Heffs does.  He just doesn't get those opportunities as much in the Championship.  I'd still have used him more than SOD has.

WSBBA_Joe

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 15, 2010, 09:39:38 pm by WSBBA_Joe »
He is a very good League 1 player

VikingJames

« Reply #5 on February 15, 2010, 09:48:57 pm by VikingJames »
WSBBA_Joe wrote:

...and a competent Championship one, on the evidence of last season.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2010, 09:58:30 pm by Branton Rover »
I have to say & it saddens me to do it but League One is probably his level, he's a deadly finisher in that division but needs a run of probably 5-6 games to really start hitting his best form & realistically he won't be doing it in a Championship team

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 15, 2010, 10:00:14 pm by Guernsey Exile »
VikingJames wrote:
WSBBA_Joe wrote:

Both posts, very rose tinted!!!!  Heffs is a very good player yes!  We needed to improve as a squad on last year and unfortunatley, the boy has been left behind! He is not going to be part of the team going forward.  SOD doesn't rate him and thats good enough for me.  

Despite that i sat and cheered him thru his whole 101 mins today and thought he deserved MOM.  Rovers he may be........ but not Doncaster

VikingJames

« Reply #8 on February 15, 2010, 10:03:47 pm by VikingJames »
Guernsey Exile wrote:
VikingJames wrote:
WSBBA_Joe wrote:

Both posts, very rose tinted!!!!  Heffs is a very good player yes!  We needed to improve as a squad on last year and unfortunatley, the boy has been left behind! He is not going to be part of the team going forward.  SOD doesn't rate him and thats good enough for me.  

Despite that i sat and cheered him thru his whole 101 mins today and thought he deserved MOM.  Rovers he may be........ but not Doncaster

Yes, we have improved..... for now.

What do we do for goals next season when Billy goes then?

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2010, 10:09:44 pm by stuey »
VikingJames wrote:
Guernsey Exile wrote:
VikingJames wrote:
WSBBA_Joe wrote:

We do the same as when Blundell left, and Barnes, and Cramb, and all the other strikers. We move on and find another, it's called progress. And who's to say Billy wont be here next season?

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2010, 10:10:06 pm by DMnumber4 »
I think if Billy got injured, Heffs would be on the next train back to Donny.

If the ball drops somewhere in the box, who do you want on the end of it? Heffs!

He's a confidence and needs a few games to get up and running, but who doesn't?

Even King Billy has his dips now and again.

I would love nothing more than to see P.H. back at the Keepmoat proving his doubters, in particular Mr O'D wrong!

VikingJames

« Reply #11 on February 15, 2010, 10:13:29 pm by VikingJames »
stuey wrote:
VikingJames wrote:
Guernsey Exile wrote:
VikingJames wrote:
WSBBA_Joe wrote:

We do the same as when Blundell left, and Barnes, and Cramb, and all the other strikers. We move on and find another, it's called progress. And who's to say Billy wont be here next season?

Do you think we will spend a million quid and shell out 10k per week for wages?

I'm not saying that Heffs is the best striker at the club, or available to the club, but I think we can do a whole lot worse, and on the evidence of last season, he CAN score goals at this level when given a chance. If the summer comes and there are better options available, then fair enough, but seen as we seem to run a very tight ship in terms of finances, we often have to work with what we have, and what we have is likely to leave us at the end of the season, and we are left with 1 less option.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2010, 10:17:17 pm by DMnumber4 »
Exactly, people seem to automatically assume we're signing Billy.

No Billy and no Heffs leaves Hayter, Guy and Brooker.  :blink:

donnyspur

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 15, 2010, 10:18:15 pm by donnyspur »
WELL DONER HEFFERS ON GETTING YOUR 100th LEAGUE GOAL, I'M PLEASED FOR YOU AND I JUST HOPE YOU COME BACK TO US AND DO WHAT YOU DID LAST YEAR ALONGSIDE SHARPY
WELL DONE MATEY
  :woohoo :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo: :

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2010, 10:23:53 pm by stuey »
DMnumber4 wrote:
Exactly, people seem to automatically assume we're signing Billy.

No Billy and no Heffs leaves Hayter, Guy and Brooker.  :blink:

I never assumed we would sign Billy, but i never assumed we wouldn't. And I never said we shouldn't keep Heffs, BUT if Heffs does leave, then my point is, it's not the end of the world.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2010, 10:26:23 pm by DMnumber4 »
It might not be the end of the world. But with no Heffs or Sharp we would have to spend some serious money.

Who on though?

Paynter?
Le Fondre?

VikingJames

« Reply #16 on February 15, 2010, 10:30:34 pm by VikingJames »
And even then, it would be a risk. Would Paynter/Le Fondre (both unproven at CCC level) score more goals than Heffs?

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2010, 10:35:39 pm by stuey »
VikingJames wrote:
And even then, it would be a risk. Would Paynter/Le Fondre (both unproven at CCC level) score more goals than Heffs?

To be honest mate, i don't have a clue, but it's not my job to know. But, in my humble opinion, i actually think Le Fondre could cut it at this level.

And DMnumber4, if we are gonna spend \"serious money\" as you put it, then surely we'd spend it on Billy Sharp?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2010, 10:36:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Branton Rover wrote:
I have to say & it saddens me to do it but League One is probably his level, he's a deadly finisher in that division but needs a run of probably 5-6 games to really start hitting his best form & realistically he won't be doing it in a Championship team

He scored on his second league start last season - having not started a game for a month. He then scored two on his fourth start, one on his sixth, one on his eight, one on his ninth and one on his eleventh. So, having started one game in four months, he came into a badly misfunctioning team and scored 7 goals in ten matches.

Which kind of finishes the argument dunt it?

And by your logic, presumably you'd have booted Bily Sharp out after he scored 1 goal in his first six matches for us. He needs a run of games to start scoring goals that Sharp lad. No good at this level...

kimble

« Reply #19 on February 15, 2010, 10:38:21 pm by kimble »
brooker ha ha ha ha

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2010, 10:39:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
stuey wrote:
We do the same as when Cramb left.

You mean we sign Prince Moncrieffe and Robert Pell?

That's me not renewing me season ticket then...

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2010, 10:43:14 pm by DMnumber4 »
stuey wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

To be honest mate, i don't have a clue, but it's not my job to know. But, in my humble opinion, i actually think Le Fondre could cut it at this level.

And DMnumber4, if we are gonna spend \"serious money\" as you put it, then surely we'd spend it on Billy Sharp?

I'd hope so. King Billy of the Keepmoat, has a certain ring to it  :lol:

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2010, 10:59:28 pm by Barmby Rover »
I had a similar discussion on another forum recently. The fact is that Heffs will never play for Rovers again. I have no problem with that so long as there is another option for next season, this one there is no problem for, Billy will score enough goals to keep us in this division. I hope that Sean has irons in the fire to get a striker for next season, because the chances of BS staying are slight, his wage demands will not be met by Rovers if they stay the same, and why should they be any different when he can easily get 10-12K per week off for instance, Leicester, or Forest and still live in Sheffield. If we have a prolific goal scorer in the pipeline then I am glad, if not then we have commited suicide because the manager didn't like the goalscorer. I hope the second scenario is completely wrong. We will see.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2010, 11:45:54 pm by Guernsey Exile »
donnyspur wrote:
WELL DONER HEFFERS ON GETTING YOUR 100th LEAGUE GOAL, I'M PLEASED FOR YOU AND I JUST HOPE YOU COME BACK TO US AND DO WHAT YOU DID LAST YEAR ALONGSIDE SHARPY
WELL DONE MATEY
  :woohoo :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo: :

Thats a fair point i may have missed in my summary, however the point is still, we need to improve - simple - sod has said it before 'if you stand still your going backwards' Heffs as much as i like him, the future lies somewhere else!!!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 16, 2010, 12:51:42 am by MrFrost »
If Billy is here next season I'll eat my Rovers shirt. We can't afford him. End of. Even if we could afford the initial transfer fee, there is no way we would shell out for his wages.

And there the problem lies. If you want a decent goalscorer at this level, you have to spend serious money. Fact. Either on a transfer, or wages, or both. The board have shown us they are not willing to do this, which makes me think the permanent departure of Heffernan is a big mistake, as it leaves us with either Hayter or Guy.

Heffernan has shown us he is capable at this level. You don't lose that talent over night. Someone needs to work with him to see what has gone wrong. DRFC obviously don't want to do that for what ever reason.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 16, 2010, 08:38:43 am by CusworthRovers »
Once again, there is nothing wrong with Heffs the goalscorer. Never as been and never will be for a few years.

It's Heffs the team player ie fitting into this style of play under Sean. It's Heffs giving the team multi options when attacking, it's Heffs holding/keeping the ball whilst waiting support, it's Heffs harrassing the defenders and not giving them a minute, it's Heffs challenging for headers against the big centre halfs, it's Heffs letting the CH's know they will not rest for 1 minute for the whole game.

Even when Billy wasn't initially scoring, I think you will all agree he ticked all the boxes on the above skills. Put that together with his ability to finish and you have a very good striker that can work under Seans systems.

Just look at the t**ts goal on Saturday. He did most of the above skills between the box and the half way line, and then still legged it to the box and headed the goal. And that is not the first time he's done this ie started it from way out, held it, laid it off and subsequently finished it.

I think Heffs, for all his goal-scoring prowess, cannot do that, or cannot do it anywhere near Billy can. And to be fair, that's not Heffs' game....although William is very suited to it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 16, 2010, 09:33:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Once again, there is nothing wrong with Heffs the goalscorer. Never as been and never will be for a few years.

It's Heffs the team player ie fitting into this style of play under Sean.

Again. You entirely overlook the fact that we averaged more than 2 points a game when Heffernan started last season. He failed to score in half those matches. Did the rest of the side just carry him?

And by the way, I full agree with your comments about Sharp's all round game. That's the reason he'd cost us £1million quid to sign and £600k per year in wages. If we can afford that, then fantastic. If we can't then we've got some head scratching to do next year after letting a perfectly competent centre forward and damn good goalscorer go for nowt.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 16, 2010, 09:47:40 am by moses »
Prophecy for you:

At the end of the season Heffernans goes, Billy goes.

Much gnashing of teeth by supporters all summer
No movement from Doncaster until August late on in the transfer window.
Then bang, Sharp back on season long loan as no one in the CHampionship will pay Sheff Utd fee and wages.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012