Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:07:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Singing section at home to chesterfield in the JPT  (Read 6515 times)

andysly

• VSC Member
Re: Singing section at home to chesterfield in the JPT
« Reply #30 on September 11, 2012, 11:05:30 pm by andysly »
It may well be a delicate operation to adopt a permanent singing/shouting area and some people may get a little peeved if asked to move.  But I believe the vast majority and importantly the team would benefit from improved atmosphere.
Better atmosphere + better performances = more fans.
Why not offer the fans who ask to move away from this area seats in the middle of the east or west stands. Top price seats for standard price, everybody wins.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:07:53 pm by andysly »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 11, 2012, 11:12:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Why not offer the fans who ask to move seats in the middle of the east or west stands. Top price seats for standard price, everybody wins.

Exactly.

However, how do we identify those who want to take up the option of moving? You could easily send letters out to 1000 plus existing ST holders to tell them about a date when it all starts and hey
presto, 100 plus will turn up on the first matchday, take up their normal seat and say they didn't know anything about it !!

Needs some careful thought from all parties.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 11, 2012, 11:14:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Give the 'singers' the North stand, and shove the away fans into the East stand.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 11, 2012, 11:40:49 pm by Mr1Croft »
Why not offer the fans who ask to move seats in the middle of the east or west stands. Top price seats for standard price, everybody wins.

Exactly.

However, how do we identify those who want to take up the option of moving? You could easily send letters out to 1000 plus existing ST holders to tell them about a date when it all starts and hey
presto, 100 plus will turn up on the first matchday, take up their normal seat and say they didn't know anything about it !!

Needs some careful thought from all parties.

It would have to be for next season, at the VSC AGM Gavin Baldwin said that we are in the process of looking at certain ideas and trialling them throughout the season, he made a point of Pay on the Gate being one of these, and that it would have to be done during cup games because an unreserved section is required.

I take it from that this means next season is when a permanent location will be chosen and this is the first trial of the middle of the South Stand, for the reason that this is where the main noise already comes from and most who choose to sit in this area are the ones that join in when the atmosphere kicks up.

What would need to happen is the same that happened in the North of the East Stand when they closed it last season, inform the Season Ticket Holders upon renewal that they cannot renew that seat but only that 'area', however if they do not want to be part of it they can move to the Cat A seats (middle of West/East) for no extra charge.

My only concern (which is more for a permanent basis and not the JPT game) is because it is unreserved it will be much easier for fans to buy tickets in other areas of the crowd (or Season Ticket Holders in lets say the South East Corner) just moving to the Unreserved area and therefore creating over crowding. Already at many away games far too many people squash up in the back rows near where the atmosphere is, and I imagine the Stadium Safety Officer will make this point. As bad as it sounds the unreserved area must only be accessible to people who have tickets in that area.

DRFC.drummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 11, 2012, 11:45:58 pm by DRFC.drummer »
I personally think it's the best location to trial it as no matter what people around can hear the fans not like at the county game where we were out sung, we are indipendent in the south stand.. and about the unreserved that's just to try help the section but if it's a success season tickets in the future will be sold in the singing section to guarantee your seat..

and I discussed about the north stand or the corners near the away fans but it's a big expense to the club so not a realistic goal..

rovgers

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 12, 2012, 12:36:41 am by rovgers »
I sit in south stand n do my fair share of singing as do others around me.Other than the north west corner where are all the singers sat? I believed the south stand was designated as to be the singing section of the ground thats why i chose to sit there and when we played notts county moved to the north west corner! Given that people are saying the south stand is not full and that not all fans will be attending will singers in the south stand who are season ticket holders be given first dibs on their seats?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 12, 2012, 01:01:02 am by Mr1Croft »
I sit in south stand n do my fair share of singing as do others around me.Other than the north west corner where are all the singers sat? I believed the south stand was designated as to be the singing section of the ground thats why i chose to sit there and when we played notts county moved to the north west corner! Given that people are saying the south stand is not full and that not all fans will be attending will singers in the south stand who are season ticket holders be given first dibs on their seats?

If it is unreserved then those earliest in the ground will get the pick of the seats I imagine. This time in 3 years time fans will be piling it at 1pm with there Rovers Beach Towels to reserve the top seats and then try there best to leave and return at 2:50...

rovgers

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 12, 2012, 01:16:51 am by rovgers »
Do you feel it will put off existing sth's who are currently seated in this area  from attending the game? as there would be no guarantee of getting a seat!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 12, 2012, 03:24:26 am by Mr1Croft »
No, there is a guarantee of getting A seat in that area (as tickets for the match will go on sale to ST holders before general sale) but no guarantee that they will be getting their usual Season Ticket seat, because it is unreserved it is basically sit where you want in the designated area.

This is better for ST holders to bring friends and family along (who aren't ST) and be able to sit with them which can't be done unless your an ST holder in the middle of empty seats. And if implemented properly, in my opinion it can allow for those that want to stand to be situated towards the back (and not blocking anybodies view) and those that want to sit to be able to do so nearer the front without being distracted by someone standing up every 2 minutes. (Although this is my opinion and may not be the view of the club.)

This is a big step in the right direction for the club, and this will more than likely have been kickstarted by the VSC and DRFC joint programme "In Rovers We Trust", by working together as Fans and Club we can help make our atmosphere greater than we imagined.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 12, 2012, 06:49:34 am by Dagenham Rover »
I personally think it's the best location to trial it as no matter what people around can hear the fans not like at the county game where we were out sung, we are indipendent in the south stand.. and about the unreserved that's just to try help the section but if it's a success season tickets in the future will be sold in the singing section to guarantee your seat..

and I discussed about the north stand or the corners near the away fans but it's a big expense to the club so not a realistic goal..

Why is that a big expense???? or is it "we better not antagonise the away support"

Listen I'm not against it but the implication in the original post was "with a view to making it permanant"  a permanant unreserved singing section is no problem but a lot more thought and discussion (preferably via the VSC and club) needs to go into where the permanant section will be,  not just "oh thats a good idea lets put it there" without looking at all implications
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:47:34 am by Dagenham.Rover »

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 12, 2012, 09:10:08 am by Alan_Rovers »
Has a date been set for the game yet.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 12, 2012, 09:44:29 am by donnievic »
think it's 8th or 9th,not to sure about making middle 2 sections of South stand unreserved seating in future.I have had season tickets from when the stadium opened if the the kids but they havent even been to that many games yet.

STABNASTY

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 12, 2012, 12:45:50 pm by STABNASTY »
I have 12 season tickets in that section which i got when the stadium opened. I picked the seats so the 6 young kids we have in our group would have a good view with no one infront of them i.e at the top of the walkway half way up. All the members in our group sing so that isnt a problem, however I would be more than a little annoyed if I was asked to give up the seats that i have renewed for years and take my chances in a lottery every week if I want to sit there.
I have no problem with a singing section here but to make it unreserved will alienate more fans than some on here think.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 12, 2012, 07:37:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I have 12 season tickets in that section which i got when the stadium opened. I picked the seats so the 6 young kids we have in our group would have a good view with no one infront of them i.e at the top of the walkway half way up. All the members in our group sing so that isnt a problem, however I would be more than a little annoyed if I was asked to give up the seats that i have renewed for years and take my chances in a lottery every week if I want to sit there.
I have no problem with a singing section here but to make it unreserved will alienate more fans than some on here think.

And that's where this issues are if we are looking at this on a permanent basis. I'm sure you and your family want to be in there and I'm sure no one would want to do anything to anything to alienate you  from remaining there.

So Stabnasty may be worth noting your response to the following  hypothetical scenario:-

As a result of this trial the club announces with the backing of the fans it wants to pursue a 'singing section'. The singing section, for arguments sake, has been designated in your area in the South Stand. The club confirm that standing in this area will be tolerated.

Will you?
a) Opt to stay where you are or b) Opt out.

No one has mentioned unreserved seating/standing yet. Let's see wait your response before moving on.

STABNASTY

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 13, 2012, 09:02:37 am by STABNASTY »
my response would be to opt in if it was still reserved seating as my kids would still be able to see from their current seats .
However if it was unreserved seating DRFC would lose 12 season ticket holders as i was one of the first to purchase tickets for the new stadium, and chose these seats for exactly that reason that even when people stood up when the action hotted up my kids who were 3 and 5 at the time could still see ok.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 13, 2012, 09:33:41 am by silent majority »
I wouldn't worry too much just yet. We have been discussing options for a cash turnstile and an unreserved area for singing/standing for some time and this game gives the club the opportunity to trial both of these. The last time was against Notts County where an unreserved area was allocated for this reason, and this is just another opportunity to try something different.

I doubt that any permanent decisions would be made without wide consultation of all supporters who may be affected by any changes.

rovgers

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 13, 2012, 11:23:16 am by rovgers »
Scratching my head a bit here! sth's will be able to purchase their tickets from the 20th so if all obliged in that area?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 13, 2012, 12:18:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
However if it was unreserved seating DRFC would lose 12 season ticket holders as i was one of the first to purchase tickets for the new stadium, and chose these seats for exactly that reason that even when people stood up when the action hotted up my kids who were 3 and 5 at the time could still see ok.

So, I'm guessing (hoping) that you are in the majority and most people will opt to stay in a reserved area where standing is tolerated. We know the South Stand is no where near half full, so there's plenty of scope for people to buy tickets in that area should they wish to join in the fun !

Unreserved seating/standing is a different issue and I suggest this is not the reason that is preventing us having a successful 'singing section'.

Anyway, a trial is a trial and let's hope positives come from it.

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 13, 2012, 12:59:00 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
Yeah, we'll go one nil down and you'll all be in silence.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 14, 2012, 10:12:40 am by hoolahoop »
I wouldn't worry too much just yet. We have been discussing options for a cash turnstile and an unreserved area for singing/standing for some time and this game gives the club the opportunity to trial both of these. The last time was against Notts County where an unreserved area was allocated for this reason, and this is just another opportunity to try something different.

I doubt that any permanent decisions would be made without wide consultation of all supporters who may be affected by any changes.

Do you think that the'Hillsborough findings' will have an effect on the authorities willingness to proceed with 'standing sections' ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 14, 2012, 10:17:35 am by silent majority »

Do you think that the'Hillsborough findings' will have an effect on the authorities willingness to proceed with 'standing sections' ?

In my conversations so far with the 'authorities' I think there will be a rush to provide supporters with what they want. On Tuesday I had a very interesting chat with the guy that runs the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) who couldn't have been more enthusiastic for change. The trouble is they have institutionalised views which don't change too quickly. But as I've said many times, we will get 'Safe Standing' in this country, its just a matter of time.

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 14, 2012, 04:57:49 pm by weststander »
The club has confirmed on DROS that this game will be used to trial both pay on the gate and a singing section in sections SSB and SSC in the South Stand. It has also said that this does not mean standing will be allowed as the Stadium is all seater

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 14, 2012, 06:08:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There we go. It's going to take something for us to get to a point where the club can officially approve standing which is understandable.

Tolerance however, is another matter so I guess the trial will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

There may be a loophole. As far as I know, all choirs and top singers  stand to sing as it's the best posture to adopt. May be an exception can be made for the DRFC choral society !!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:12:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 14, 2012, 06:40:52 pm by Mr1Croft »
Having a Season Ticket in the top of the South Stand; I, along with many others on the back row tend to stand every game and have never been asked to sit down. So if the back 3 or 4 rows stand for this game (as they did in the Singing Section against Notts County) it could make for a better atmosphere.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 14, 2012, 06:58:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Totally agree Lee. As we know, as S_M had an impact on this where the stewards have relaxed their stance and as long as nobody is deliberately having their view obscured then they are letting it go.

A few of my friends from work have been standing for a long time throughout the entire game. Thing is, do we rest on this goodwill or do
we push for something more official.

The club may be more receptive if the 'singing section' could be more organised. If those in the singing section contribute consistently and there's more co-ordination in the songs and timing with the drummer etc. If it is seen to be a success then more people will want to join in the fun and the club gets more vocal support in return.   

Who knows, if we start off with 500 'singing section' members, we could grow it to over 1000 with the group having special  dispensation to stand to get the best possible vocal performance. (wink)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012