Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:35:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Comments made at the Retford AGM  (Read 5243 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Comments made at the Retford AGM
« on September 15, 2012, 09:36:30 am by silent majority »
Some of this doesn't seem to have been reported on here but I think it's of importance.

Firstly, when Dean was asked about new players coming in, (after all the debate about players having to leave first of course) he said he did have players lined up and that he was a little short of numbers from where he would like to be. We have a squad of 18 and he would like to add to that and funds have been made available to allow him to do so. He knows we don't have strength in depth but we do have enough players if everybody stays fit. If we get any injuries then he will make moves to replace that injured player. In other words he's playing the waiting game and its his decision to do so, not the board. The board have released funds allowing him to bring in who he wants.

Secondly, all the players we released have not had to have their contracts paid up (a common practice with relegated clubs with high earners) but some of those we brought in did have their contracts paid up allowing DRFC to profit. We get high earning players without having to pay that portion of their wage.

Thirdly, our playing budget this season is well above the average for this league. The average seems to be between £1.5m and £2m whilst ours is sat at just below £4m, and a shortfall that the board are happy to meet.

There was other stuff said, especially about the clubs commitment to the youth team and how James Husband can be a great asset to the club, not only as a player but as  a great advert for the youth of Doncaster and how they can progress. Hopefully that will stop the drift of young talented players to Leeds and SWFC etc.

All in all a good meeting I thought.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Red wizard

• VSC Member
Re: Comments made at the Retford AGM
« Reply #1 on September 15, 2012, 09:41:42 am by Red wizard »
Cheers Martin.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 15, 2012, 10:00:06 am by silent majority »
Oh, I've just remembered something else too.

We had a much bigger squad last year, the largest in the Championship, but when Dean arrived there was a queue for the treatment room as it contained 16 players, so many that they couldn't get in. Obviously the new fitness coach, physio and masseur have all had a positive impact and if that remains that way then we can operate with a smaller squad.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 15, 2012, 10:30:26 am by Alickismyhero »
When it comes to injuries we have had a fantastic start to the season compared to last seasons first game at Brighton. Both strikers out in the first game with bad injuries that is sheer bad luck. We seem to have attached a great belief that our new medical and fitness training staff are considerably better than the old lot. Well injuries will happen lets see how good the new staff are. If they can manage to get by with a playing squad of only 18 I will be absolutely amazed but just think how money they can save.

Watching with great interest.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 15, 2012, 11:05:12 am by Rios »
Thirdly, our playing budget this season is well above the average for this league. The average seems to be between £1.5m and £2m whilst ours is sat at just below £4m, and a shortfall that the board are happy to meet.

I thought the whole point of the salary cap was it had to be 65% of turnover?  Is the "shortfall" a temporary thing because of the high earners or a planned long term thing and if it's the latter how does that fit with the wage cap?  Or have I completely misunderstood the wage cap thingy?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 15, 2012, 11:12:25 am by RobTheRover »
Last years turnover would surely have been higher than most clubs' in L1, though.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 15, 2012, 11:40:27 am by Filo »
Some of this doesn't seem to have been reported on here but I think it's of importance.

Firstly, when Dean was asked about new players coming in, (after all the debate about players having to leave first of course) he said he did have players lined up and that he was a little short of numbers from where he would like to be. We have a squad of 18 and he would like to add to that and funds have been made available to allow him to do so. He knows we don't have strength in depth but we do have enough players if everybody stays fit. If we get any injuries then he will make moves to replace that injured player. In other words he's playing the waiting game and its his decision to do so, not the board. The board have released funds allowing him to bring in who he wants.

Secondly, all the players we released have not had to have their contracts paid up (a common practice with relegated clubs with high earners) but some of those we brought in did have their contracts paid up allowing DRFC to profit. We get high earning players without having to pay that portion of their wage.

There was other stuff said, especially about the clubs commitment to the youth team and how James Husband can be a great asset to the club, not only as a player but as  a great advert for the youth of Doncaster and how they can progress. Hopefully that will stop the drift of young talented players to Leeds and SWFC etc.

All in all a good meeting I thought.

We seem to be getting conflicting info here, at the VSC agm we were told our wage budget last year was £9M and we need to get it down to £3M, Dean in his latest interview on DROS says we`ve reduced our wage bill by 70%, If thats the case then our current wage spend is £2.7M, £300k below our target budget, and thus there should be no shortfall!

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 15, 2012, 11:53:13 am by streatham dave »
Filo we may be 300000 under budget now but with signings that we have been told will be made and with loan players could still end up above the 3 Mil

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 15, 2012, 12:53:54 pm by Filo »
Filo we may be 300000 under budget now but with signings that we have been told will be made and with loan players could still end up above the 3 Mil

I accept that, so if you take SM`s figures at this moment in time we have £1.3M to spend in wages, which equates to £25k pw to spend on wages, at £3k pw thats 8 players.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 15, 2012, 01:06:11 pm by silent majority »

I accept that, so if you take SM`s figures at this moment in time we have £1.3M to spend in wages, which equates to £25k pw to spend on wages, at £3k pw thats 8 players.

No Dave, your applying your own interpretation. I wasn't at the AGM so I can't speak for what was said there, however in conversations I've had with GB then the following is the case. Our spend last year was over £9m, originally the planned budget was set to be as close to £3m as DS and GB could get to, however that budget figure has been raised to just under £4m and the board are happy to find the difference as I've stated before. With players coming and going that figure fluctuates but its still planned to be closer to £4m rather than £3m, how much has been put back into the budget because of Copps going I don't know but that money is available, as was confirmed to me on Friday when I spoke to Gavin.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 15, 2012, 02:14:27 pm by newyankee »
Alick

You make comments about the new medical staff which has come in to replace Dr Death and company in less than favourable terms. What they have done so far is far better than the old guard. As is Gavin Baldwin compared to Mr Morris. Let's give these people the same chance we gave GB. 

We already have Woods and Martis, long term injuries back and the rest far fitter than under the previous regime, why make snide comments.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 15, 2012, 02:41:52 pm by Chris »

DRFC's official Twitter account tweeted yesterday "he (Dean Saunders) said we are struggling to financially compete with some of the other clubs out there, that risk financial ruin for success". If our "playing budget" is almost double the average in League One then just how much are these "other clubs" who we cannot compete with spending on wages?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 15, 2012, 03:15:50 pm by Alickismyhero »
Snide remarks, I don't accept that at all, you are over reacting.

I think you would be more accurate if you said I implied that our squad is very short and if the new med and fitness people can keep players injure free we could save a fortune. How you can say that I was making a snide remark from that?
As it happens we have Paynter out injured and Harper is carrying an injury and is on the bench now that is what I expect, it is the norm for a team.

It,s going to be very interesting to see if they can keep 18 fit and if they can we save a fortune on wages.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 15, 2012, 03:34:53 pm by newyankee »

Let's see how good the new staff are, seems snide to me Alick. You seem too think  they are not capable to keep players fit. It has been said that DS is probably keeping Paynter for Tuesday at Bramall Lane.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 15, 2012, 04:02:11 pm by Alickismyhero »

NY
If you were to say that I was being critical of the small squad Deano has got to work with you would be right. Its not possible to exist on a squad of 18 even if Bones on Star Trek was the club doctor. The squad is too small. I have never ever said anything complimentary
about the staff they have replaced so I am unlikely to say the new set up is worse than the old one. So if you read my original comment with that in mind you may change your opinion? or you may not?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 15, 2012, 04:04:10 pm by newyankee »
We all agree the squad is small Alex, but so fasr the new staff have done a fantastic job keeping the players on the pitch.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 15, 2012, 04:07:57 pm by Alickismyhero »
Yes I have already said that "We have had a fantastic start to the season compared to last season" How snide is that?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 15, 2012, 05:30:05 pm by silent majority »

DRFC's official Twitter account tweeted yesterday "he (Dean Saunders) said we are struggling to financially compete with some of the other clubs out there, that risk financial ruin for success". If our "playing budget" is almost double the average in League One then just how much are these "other clubs" who we cannot compete with spending on wages?

Yes you were right Chris, apologies I misread it.

However to answer your question the clubs he means are the likes of MK Dons, Sheffield Utd etc. Dean did mention one club, the actual name escapes me, where he had enquired about a player and his wages were in excess of £6k a wee, and that was for a lg2 player!There are still some clubs out there who are prepared to pay stupid money whilst chasing success.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 15, 2012, 05:34:04 pm by Chris »

However to answer your question the clubs he means are the likes of MK Dons, Sheffield Utd etc. Dean did mention one club, the actual name escapes me, where he had enquired about a player and his wages were in excess of £6k a wee, and that was for a lg2 player!There are still some clubs out there who are prepared to pay stupid money whilst chasing success.

Ridiculous really. I've been told by a Coventry fan that their wage budget is reportedly higher than £4m. It's a shame that some clubs still gamble their future in hope of success!

GM-MarkB

« Reply #19 on September 15, 2012, 05:35:50 pm by GM-MarkB »

That's taking the piss  ;)

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 15, 2012, 07:47:35 pm by BigH »
I think the L2 player we're talking about is The Beast. The Fleetwood guy is minted so that's probably an exception.

Coventry are fast turning into a basketcase and I think it's going to get worse for them before it gets better. Their stadium costs £1.2m a year to rent, they've gambled on backing the turnaround strategy of a manager who they've now sacked. Gates have dipped below 10,000. The McSheffery's of this world are probably lining up a move in January. Reminds me of us this time last year!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:58:24 pm by BigH »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 15, 2012, 08:48:57 pm by silent majority »
Snide remarks, I don't accept that at all, you are over reacting.

I think you would be more accurate if you said I implied that our squad is very short and if the new med and fitness people can keep players injure free we could save a fortune. How you can say that I was making a snide remark from that?
As it happens we have Paynter out injured and Harper is carrying an injury and is on the bench now that is what I expect, it is the norm for a team.

It,s going to be very interesting to see if they can keep 18 fit and if they can we save a fortune on wages.
Alick,

I may not have made my point about the 18 players we currently have very clearly, so as a further explanation can I add this. The club, and Dean especially know that they can't get through the season with a squad of 18 and that is why funds have been made available so that he can add another 2 or 3 players to that list without seriously breaking the bank.

What he's actually doing is trying to play a different strategy in that he worries about adding those players he thinks he needs now and then finding himself needing a player or two in other positions because of injuries. For example he could add another striker and a winger to the squad, but if a centre back or left back get themselves injured he may have problems replacing them. A utility player would be a good idea, however good ones are hard to come by. So he's saving the cash so he can invest it where it will be needed rather  than where he thinks it may be needed, if that makes sense. So we will have more than 18 players, just not sure which positions the others will fill just yet. This might be a good strategy, and it may not, we shall have to wait and see.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 15, 2012, 08:58:23 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Its actually pretty logical

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 15, 2012, 09:03:10 pm by MachoMadness »
It's an idea that looks good on paper, but it's a definite risk. What if there aren't any good players in that position available? How will the team settle if we get a couple of injuries a few days before a big game? How will the squad cope come the annual winter fixture pileup? It's the sort of idea that would be great on Football Manager, but there are certainly big risks in the plan.

The_Rooky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 15, 2012, 09:07:18 pm by The_Rooky »
...well that's a significantly different strategy from last season - which IMO must be applauded. I am hopeful for the rest of this season, and that result against Walsall on the first weekend looks better each weekend. C'mon Rovers!!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 16, 2012, 01:49:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Most club's in this league and league two,will probably operate in the same way,we are short squad wise,so it does make sense to keep the extra funds to the side if needed,for loans etc,who know's we might pick up a free transfer or two to bulk things up,if they are stand out signings,other than that i understand the thinking.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 16, 2012, 08:17:23 am by DRFCSouth »
It's ok to say we will use the James Husbands as an advert to the town and surrounding area, but we need to back this up with a robust talent scouting system. Kids will still more than likely go to the first club that asks them. It needs to be a pro-active scheme to get the best in the area in.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 17, 2012, 01:04:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »
couldn't agree more South,the scouting system needs to be very good for a club like ours,how many times do you see a player,who if a club would have shown interest would in all probability had a chance of making it,other club's are heavily scouting the Donny area,we need to at least have our on area covered,and playing youth team players in the first team,show's parents of the kid's that if good enough,Donny will give you a chance,some of these kids go to say Man utd,and just disappear into the system,hopefully we can become most kid's first choice round here,by fostering a family atmosphere when dealing with the kids and parent's. :scarf:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012