Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:16:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: At the risk of being called a Happy-Clapper.......  (Read 1811 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
At the risk of being called a Happy-Clapper.......
« on September 16, 2012, 11:20:35 am by Dutch Uncle »
I am very happy with the current situation at Rovers for a number of reasons

1.   We have our club identity and spirit back. We have a manager and players who look like they all care for the club and will work and fight together as a team. Despite a relative quietness, JR is clearly still engaged, we have the stadium under our control and we have a new excellent CEO. Also importantly via VSC and Silent Majority we have improved engagement with the fans. 

2.   I am happy with financial prudence and a club with a future. Compare today's situation with the last time we suffered any sort of relegation in 1998. Compare ourselves with our fellow relegation companions Portsmouth and Coventry.

3.   The quality of players we have compared to what I expected only 3 months ago. I fully expected 4-5 youth players in the line-up every week. I expected a real struggle to compete this year with relegation a real possibility. The way Dean and the club have acquired excellent players for League 1 and simultaneously slashed last year's budget to the necessary level is very impressive.  I still think that real consolidation and a cup run would be a good achievement this year. However belief, confidence and momentum can be huge factors - we have had absolutely none for one and a half seasons and suddenly the players and the fans have belief rather than fear - so who knows what could happen. We have had dreams come true before.

4.   I can see the arguments for and against only 18 players, and playing a waiting game for loans. On the positive side, although it is early to judge, we seem to be better organised in the fitness/physio area, and if we can get by for a while that has the positives of building real team bonding/unity, saving money for later use, and of course with the 91 day limit any loanee from October should be available until the January window.  On the downside, apart from risks of trying to get whoever we can at short notice, I believe there is a limit to the number of so called emergency loanees - is it 8 per season? The January window, as in most years, will be crucial.

5.   Continuing the comparison with the aftermath of our last relegation, IMHO the 1998-9 season immediately after our relegation to the conference was one of the most critical in our entire history. Turning the tide and stabilising was  crucial to the very future of our club and I sometimes think Ian Snodin does not get enough credit for his efforts that season. It was also the last time we lost so many players and started a season with so few.  This season may well turn out to be nearly as critical. 

RTID  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Red wizard

• VSC Member
Re: At the risk of being called a Happy-Clapper.......
« Reply #1 on September 16, 2012, 11:27:38 am by Red wizard »
Well said Dutch. I'm loving this season atm. Seeing all the players and staff come and clap the fans after the game was great. Players proud to wear the shirt.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 16, 2012, 11:42:17 am by The Red Baron »
Three wins from five games in the League is certainly exceeding my expectations so far. However, the squad size does worry me. Yet again we didn't have a full bench yesterday and there really isn't any competition for places. I don't see how we can continue for much longer without adding some more players, whether they be loans or free agents.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 16, 2012, 03:00:36 pm by graingrover »
I agree Dutch and would add that despite the severe cut in budget the fact that the only debt we carry is equity debt and that the three millionaires are together again behind the club is fab.Probably most importantly we have, in all key positions at Board level, CEO, Team Manager and captain , positive thinkers.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 16, 2012, 03:04:58 pm by silent majority »
Don't you go getting all positive on this site! Don't you know that's not allowed?

:-)

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 16, 2012, 03:32:08 pm by DRFCSouth »
Totally with you Dutch on all points. This season could have been horrendous from the outset. It may still turn out that way but I doubt it. We seem to have a tidy little squad, capable of a top half finish. We have made some shrewd signings. What is promising are the goals from midfield. Once the team gels a bit more, I can only see it getting better.

As for your point on Snodins work, I dont think a truer word has been spoken. We had nothing going into that first conference season and possibly the worst, if not the worst record of a team going down. The funny thing was the unpredictability of it all, in some ways like this season. Each week, I can't call it. I was disappointed after the Crawley game but chuffed with the away wins so far.

Onwards and upwards.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 16, 2012, 03:55:44 pm by wilts rover »
Happy clapper

...there I have said it so no-one else need bother

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 16, 2012, 06:19:32 pm by newyankee »
What a marvellous review of the season ( short as it is), so far. I have to say that I was very worried at one point whether we would have a team, let alone a squad of 18 quality players. By quality I don't just mean ability, I mean attitude. Living so far away I can only go on the player interviews, but each and every one has bought into Dean's plan for the team.

Do we need a few more in the squad, yes, will we get them, yes, because if we keep on at the rate we are we will be pushing for the play offs at least and that is when I can see JR and pals putting in money to bolster the team in the January window.

I also think that the best decision the club ever made was putting Gavin Baldwin in the place of Dave Morris, chalk to cheese. A proper professional replacing a trying amateur.

Onwards and upwards.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012