Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 08:57:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra first leg game  (Read 7027 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra first leg game
« Reply #60 on May 05, 2024, 09:23:14 am by selby »
  Our change in form this season takes some taking in, the truth is we were abject the first half of the season, most games getting beaten easily, in many not even competing, and teams with half the player investment like Newport and Harrogate easily brushing us aside as we constantly got over run in mid field and consequently at the back.
  Basically only Ironside , Bailey and to an extent Molineux with Westbrook up to his injury can say that they have had a good full season, most of the rest having periods of poor to very poor form.
  Sterry we couldn't get on the field along with a number of others who were constantly injured and along with Miller and Faulkner who have been out all of the season the injury crisis added to our troubles and was that bad our medical team went under a change of personnel to see if we could improve things as  we were heading to become a proper basket case and staring down the abyss.
  The work Terry Bramall and our management team led by Grant has been phenomenal since the January transfer window, our run in the EFL trophy giving us a glimpse of better things and the rest has been history, that EFL trophy run being the thing that seemed to start off the gelling of the club and supporters to an extent, some light releif and hope when all seemed lost.
  Whatever it was, the ride has been fantastic, only Grant publically stating the play offs were possible, whether he realised just what the team had to do to achieve what they have done and the run of victories required, or was it bravado only he alone knows, but fair does he stuck to his statement week after week, while us disbelievers were slowly converted.
  So on to the Crewe game in the playoffs, not an easy game, none of the teams would be easy,  and losing now would be a disappointment but no recriminations here, it has been wonderful, we are back as a club after staring down the barrel, we have some pride again and can look forward whatever the outcome of the playoffs, and that is the best part of the story, and whatever happens I know that the playing staff and everyone at the club will do their best to take the last steps to try and fulfil one of the greatest come backs in football history, just go for it lads, and we the supporters can be right behind them loud and proud whatever the outcome.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 05, 2024, 10:50:46 am by Alan Southstand »
Agreed, Selby.

Obviously we’ll all be disappointed if we don’t make it but far from disillusioned or disheartened.

That’s the difference. The pride is back.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 05, 2024, 10:56:55 am by ForsolongaRover »
:turd:as you say, not always.
I remember that Southend were the form team going into the play offs back when we played them in the semi final.
hound you are not wrong. Just had a look. Won 9 drew 5 lost 1 of their last 15 games. That’s 32 points.

The other perspective is the comparison between Crewe and Rovers. I haven’t totalled the Rovers points in those final games of 2007/08 and we did losing a few very narrowly, but against some tough opponents, yet we were still sustaining reasonable form and were not lacking confidence as a team, so altogether far better than Crewe recently. I nevertheless  agree that nothing can be taken for granted!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 05, 2024, 12:18:37 pm by IDM »
I remember that Southend were the form team going into the play offs back when we played them in the semi final.
hound you are not wrong. Just had a look. Won 9 drew 5 lost 1 of their last 15 games. That’s 32 points.

The other perspective is the comparison between Crewe and Rovers. I haven’t totalled the Rovers points in those final games of 2007/08 and we did losing a few very narrowly, but against some tough opponents, yet we were still sustaining reasonable form and were not lacking confidence as a team, so altogether far better than Crewe recently. I nevertheless  agree that nothing can be taken for granted!

Yep, like avoiding defeat at Cheltenham.!!

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 05, 2024, 01:08:08 pm by RoversInSpain »
If football was predictable and lacked drama then with our excellent form v Crewe’s tail off,  we go through, simple

Then you look at the Gillingham game, they’ve nothing to play for, we are totally in control at 0-2, heading for a club record breaking win.

Then it’s a bad moment, form suddenly doesn’t matter a jot. Drama, panic, we fall apart for 10 mins…. That’s footy, that’s the play offs …

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 05, 2024, 01:09:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
Tbf we did get cheated at Gillingham though…

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 05, 2024, 01:46:00 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Yep, like avoiding defeat at Cheltenham.!!

You perhaps haven’t looked at our run in back then. If you have, and feel that the defeat at Cheltenham was the factor which contradicts my general point, I can’t agree.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on May 05, 2024, 01:48:46 pm by IDM »
No I meant that there was a feeling at the time we would beat them easily - I was actually agreeing with you that nowt should be taken for granted, not contradicting at all.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 05, 2024, 05:11:50 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Tbf we did get cheated at Gillingham though…

Surely officials making bad decisions is just one of the many possible reasons for a result to fly in the face of the form book.

ROKERITE

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 05, 2024, 05:18:10 pm by ROKERITE »
I'm very surprised that your odds to win tomorrow have lengthened considerably today.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 05, 2024, 07:32:32 pm by selby »
  Somebody in Rotherham will have put a big fifty pence bet on Crewe and the bookies have panicked.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 06, 2024, 12:21:10 am by les@donr »
Two legged games have a different approach to one off games. I would take a draw at their place and tonk them at ours, doing a “Southend”.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:08:00 am by les@donr »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 06, 2024, 05:03:14 am by drfchound »
I would be happy with a draw too Les.
I do feel though that we are good enough to win tonight.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 09:40:30 am by drfchound »

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 06, 2024, 06:13:18 am by les@donr »
I agree we are good enough to get a win, with the second leg at our place, the pressure is off us to get a first leg. If we do great, if not, everything to play for at ours.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 06, 2024, 08:30:00 am by andy didcott »
COYR.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 06, 2024, 09:23:19 am by Butchers Red »
As we all know the team picks itself these days.

TLT
Sterry
Maxwell
Wood
Anderson
Molyneux
Craig
Bailey
Biggins
Ironside
Adelukan

SUBS
Jones
Olowu
Hurst
Broadbent
Rowe
Westbrooke
Nixon

TLT in goals and without being too harsh on Louis, I very much doubt either of Gillingham's goals would have beaten him.

Then in the middle, the return of Biggins timing his runs from deep,and beyond Ironside stops defenders from sitting in and holding a steady line,it was this that changed the game v Barrow, and is a tactic that is more or less unplayable if the service to him is right. His excellent finishing complete the picture here.

Simply put, we have far too much for anyone in our division at the moment, our run is not luck, it's because we're a damn good side with strength in depth and a simply brilliant manager. Fans aren't too bad either.

RTID

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 06, 2024, 10:13:49 am by NickDRFC »

TLT
Sterry
Maxwell
Wood
Anderson
Molyneux
Craig
Bailey
Biggins
Ironside
Adelukan

SUBS
Jones
Olowu
Hurst
Broadbent
Rowe
Westbrooke
Nixon

TLT in goals and without being too harsh on Louis, I very much doubt either of Gillingham's goals would have beaten him.

Then in the middle, the return of Biggins timing his runs from deep,and beyond Ironside stops defenders from sitting in and holding a steady line,it was this that changed the game v Barrow, and is a tactic that is more or less unplayable if the service to him is right. His excellent finishing complete the picture here.

Simply put, we have far too much for anyone in our division at the moment, our run is not luck, it's because we're a damn good side with strength in depth and a simply brilliant manager. Fans aren't too bad either.

RTID

Waters on the bench for me. He’s not done a great deal but he has the potential to come on and get a goal if we really need it. I like Nixon but Rowe and Olowu can cover the full backs so he’d be the one to miss out.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 06, 2024, 11:12:59 am by karldew »
I’ll be happy when I see Haks on the team sheet. Something still doesn’t sit right with me about him not being in the MOTM group photo. I’m 90% certain his name will be there but just that chance he might have an agreement somewhere else and isn’t risking an injury.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 06, 2024, 11:33:45 am by Reg of the Rovers »
Just setting off now, most excited I've been for a game in a long long time! Safe journey over lads and lasses. Let's raise the roof this evening!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 06, 2024, 11:36:14 am by Chris Black come back »
I’ll be happy when I see Haks on the team sheet. Something still doesn’t sit right with me about him not being in the MOTM group photo. I’m 90% certain his name will be there but just that chance he might have an agreement somewhere else and isn’t risking an injury.

I thought this the other day. Then also thought how good Hurst has been the last month and more.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 06, 2024, 11:52:36 am by ravenrover »

TLT
Sterry
Maxwell
Wood
Anderson
Molyneux
Craig
Bailey
Biggins
Ironside
Adelukan

SUBS
Jones
Olowu
Hurst
Broadbent
Rowe
Westbrooke
Nixon

RTID

If Timmee hadn't handballed he wouldn't have been sent off and there wouldn't have been a direct free kick to save in the 1st place . Just saying

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 06, 2024, 04:53:02 pm by NickDRFC »

TLT
Sterry
Maxwell
Wood
Anderson
Molyneux
Craig
Bailey
Biggins
Ironside
Adelukan

SUBS
Jones
Olowu
Hurst
Broadbent
Rowe
Westbrooke
Nixon

RTID

Waters on the bench for me. He’s not done a great deal but he has the potential to come on and get a goal if we really need it. I like Nixon but Rowe and Olowu can cover the full backs so he’d be the one to miss out.

Great minds, Grant.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on May 06, 2024, 06:04:48 pm by selby »
  Molyneux and Adekulan have got to try and hold the ball up better up front, they have been very poor for me up to press and most attacks have broken down with their poor control of the ball.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:13:33 pm by selby »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on May 06, 2024, 06:07:50 pm by selby »
Great goal great that Moly took notice and just put his foot through it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 06, 2024, 06:30:45 pm by selby »
We have played better the longer the game has gone on, but have not had the same fluency going forward that we have shown in previous matches to me.
  If we can step it up the game looks there for the taking, but I expect a reaction from Crewe second half with the pull of their supporters if we let them get on top and exert pressure, a second and third goal would settle me down.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 06, 2024, 06:42:57 pm by Avsuptem »
A first half of 2 quarters.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 06, 2024, 07:32:05 pm by Paul Simpson »
Simply brilliant!! Well done boys

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 06, 2024, 07:57:49 pm by Pancho Regan »
What a performance, what a result.

Our steamroller just keeps moving relentlessly forward.

Of course Crewe had their moments but we were by far the better team.
Absolutely unbelievable what this team is achieving.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 06, 2024, 07:59:17 pm by Upton Rover »
Great performance, they never looked like scoring

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 06, 2024, 09:55:31 pm by Avsuptem »
TLT's contribution not to be underestimated. A magnificent presence in the defence and  confidence inspiring for the whole team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012