Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:16:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Leon Clarke  (Read 4037 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Leon Clarke
« on January 10, 2020, 01:01:28 pm by graingrover »
He is exactly the opposite to Copps  as an example to our young generation so let me be the first  to congratulate Coventry on signing this end of career mercenary .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Leon Clarke
« Reply #1 on January 10, 2020, 01:12:38 pm by Jonathan »
Has he signed for Coventry?

Mercenary he may be (I don’t know the details), useful striker definitely. In any case, I’d rather we were looking at more progressive and long term solutions given his age.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 10, 2020, 01:22:34 pm by RugbyRover »

Mercenary he may be (I don’t know the details), useful striker definitely. In any case, I’d rather we were looking at more progressive and long term solutions given his age.

in the olden days when we built a team over the course of two or three years i'd agree with you. but with today's policy being about short term loans and putting together a new team each season, then i think he could be a good signing. depends if his goals gets them into the champ i suppose.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 10, 2020, 01:24:20 pm by dknward2 »
He hasn’t signed for Coventry and their ceo laughed the rumour as untrue with no interest in signing him.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2020, 01:28:08 pm by NickDRFC »
He is exactly the opposite to Copps  as an example to our young generation so let me be the first  to congratulate Coventry on signing this end of career mercenary .

Don't really understand your attitude here. So what if he has chosen to kick his heels in the Sheff Utd reserves this season? He's coming towards the end of a short career and is supposed to be on a big contract, why should he forego the money he's earned through his past performances?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2020, 01:36:14 pm by IDM »

in the olden days when we built a team over the course of two or three years i'd agree with you. but with today's policy being about short term loans and putting together a new team each season, then i think he could be a good signing. depends if his goals gets them into the champ i suppose.

That’s not our policy, ask whiteman, Anderson etc..

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2020, 01:52:38 pm by BiargeBob »
End of career mercenary?

How many are sat on here, when they should be working, winding down for that impending retirement.

I wish we would sign Leon Clarke, he would score the goals at our level, that would certainly get us in to the play offs.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2020, 01:55:38 pm by 5 on Tour »
A) I’ll give you £10k a week to do nothing other than go in the gym.

B) I’ll give you £5k a week to stress your body out before retirement, risk injury and damage, have to prove yourself every week, potentially get boo’d if you’re having a bad run and generally work 10 times harder.

Pick from the above and let me know...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 10, 2020, 02:05:25 pm by idler »
I bet Andy Butler and Tom Anderson would go for the latter.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 10, 2020, 02:25:43 pm by 5 on Tour »
I bet Andy Butler and Tom Anderson would go for the latter.

Question isn’t applicable to anyone made of Granite

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 10, 2020, 02:33:42 pm by RugbyRover »

Its a policy Baldwin stated they were now following and one Moore said he was happy to fall in line with. When I get a spare half hour I'll dig out the links to the free press releases.....

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 10, 2020, 02:35:01 pm by idler »
I suppose we can still discuss Lewis Guy and Curtis Maine then.
I was only a Donny Sunday League player but I was gutted when I finished due to a knee injury aged 24.
I would have given anything to play again. I ended up walking a bit lop sided and having a carlilage out seven years later and then a new knee aged 55. They are better squeezing every minute of their careers out like Copps. Once it's gone it's gone. How sad to remember your last season or two just sat on a bench or training with the youth team.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 10, 2020, 02:37:28 pm by IDM »

Its a policy Baldwin stated they were now following and one Moore said he was happy to fall in line with. When I get a spare half hour I'll dig out the links to the free press releases.....

Funny I thought I read something different recently - about wanting not to do so much rebuilding each summer..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 10, 2020, 02:45:34 pm by dickos1 »
Clarke will be a very good signing for a season or two in league one

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 10, 2020, 02:50:37 pm by Pancho Regan »
Yes you would expect him to score goals at this level, if his attitude is right.

He scored a lot for Coventry in a previous spell there didn't he?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 10, 2020, 02:53:26 pm by Draytonian III »
Leon Clarke would want anything between £5k and £8k on a two year deal , so doing the sums that would be approx £500k - £800k, so why not 4 players who are at least 10 years younger paying them each between £1.5k -£2k a week and maybe have a re-sale value later

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 10, 2020, 03:39:13 pm by dickos1 »
We’ve no idea what he’ll want. Sheff United May have paid his contract up.
He’s played the majority of his career at league one level so his expectations may be of a league one player again now

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 11, 2020, 12:20:01 am by phil old leake »
Nothing sad about it if you’ve got a wife and kids. They’re not going to be thankful when you decide to take a massive pay cut and potentially mess with yours and their future

I’m sure all the skaters on here would rather work for less somewhere other than their current jobs

I personally don’t blame him for staying put

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 11, 2020, 09:50:36 am by idler »
A lot if not most loan players remain on the same wage though with their club making up the difference. This gets a player back to fitness or keeping fit and in the shop window whilst saving the parent club money.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 11, 2020, 10:03:14 am by Barmby Rover »
Was Ritchie Wellens an end of career mercenary when he went to Leicester? Players go where they can play and get money.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 11, 2020, 10:05:47 am by IDM »
Wellens was nowhere near the end of his career when he went to Leicester..

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 12, 2020, 09:42:09 am by Chris Black come back »
We’ve no idea what he’ll want. Sheff United May have paid his contract up.
He’s played the majority of his career at league one level so his expectations may be of a league one player again now

Leon Clarke has played a total of 457 games in league football.

The majority of these (286) have been in the Championship.

Only a minority of his league appearances have been at League One level (161).

Of his 457 games, he has 13 minutes in the Premier League.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 12, 2020, 06:44:10 pm by dickos1 »
I’ll trust this to be correct, but I imagine the majority of his championship appearances will be at the beginning of his career at wolves and Wednesday. Since he left Wednesday he seems to have been plying his trade predominantly in league one and even league two.
Not sure when he left Wednesday but it must be over 10 years ago.
So for the majority of the last 10 plus years he’s been getting a league one wage

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 12, 2020, 06:51:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He's spent 5 of the last 10 seasons before this one in the Championship (09/10, 10/11, 14/15, 17/18 and 18/19).

If he's short of a bob or two, he hasn't got much sympathy from me.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 12, 2020, 08:32:29 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not suggesting he’s short of a bob or two, but people were saying that because he’s on a prem wage now then he’ll be expecting similar at his next club. But I imagine he’ll be expecting nothing like a prem league wage at his next club

TinyPortal © 2005-2012