Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 04:44:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The one thing that ruins all football matches  (Read 4120 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
The one thing that ruins all football matches
« on November 13, 2015, 07:53:52 am by Padge_DRFC »
Wind!

51mph gusts on Saturday. Can't see the game being to brilliant.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: The one thing that ruins all football matches
« Reply #1 on November 13, 2015, 08:19:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Reminds me of Grimsby. Ben Smith kicks out, ball changes direction and goes back towards goal, Matt Mills back tracking, tries to head it back and heads over Smith in to the goal. Classic!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 13, 2015, 08:58:38 am by The Red Baron »
Anyone remember that game against Darlington in the Division 3 title winning season of 2003-04? The wind reduced the game to the level of farce and probably should have been postponed or abandoned.

I was delighted we got out of it with a draw, especially after Darlo's wind-assisted goal.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 13, 2015, 09:22:35 am by DearneValleyRover »
I remember both those games can't believe the Darlo one didn't get abandoned

KnottingleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 13, 2015, 09:53:42 am by KnottingleyRover »
Reminds me of Grimsby. Ben Smith kicks out, ball changes direction and goes back towards goal, Matt Mills back tracking, tries to head it back and heads over Smith in to the goal. Classic!
Wasn't that Sam Hird,or was that another own goal against Grimsby?

wardy16

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 13, 2015, 09:59:47 am by wardy16 »
The Darlington game was ridiculous. I remember Andy Warrington taking a goal kick and it looping back and out for a corner.

I think it was flag day too!

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 13, 2015, 10:06:06 am by Padge_DRFC »
Was that when Akinfenwa scored?

Suppose the only good thing is the ground has 4 sides and is mainly closed off

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 13, 2015, 10:09:44 am by roversontheup »

I remember that goal very well. It was blowing a gale and pouring with rain. In a bizarre sense it was the only entertaining part of the whole game!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 13, 2015, 10:14:57 am by RedJ »

Sam Hird scored over Gary Woods against Ipswich when Paul Jewell's side hit us for six.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 13, 2015, 01:23:13 pm by RobTheRover »

I remember that goal very well. It was blowing a gale and pouring with rain. In a bizarre sense it was the only entertaining part of the whole game!

The most entertaining part of the game for me was my two mates, Daz and John.  I was driving so stayed in the stands at H/T while they went for a beer in the little bar in the far corner of the away end.  We were 25 minutes into the 2nd half when they returned, and they were proper steaming.  It turned out that the bar staff had this policy of pouring loads of beers ready, but they misjudged how many they needed and poured too many.  They were just going to throw them down the sink until Daz and John offered to "clean them up" for a knock down price.  I virtually had to carry them both out of the ground at the end.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 13, 2015, 02:39:21 pm by Superspy »

Sam Hird scored over Gary Woods against Ipswich when Paul Jewell's side hit us for six.

Ah yes, that awful night where Sam was arguably responsible for 4 of them, lol.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 13, 2015, 04:10:43 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
But this is what footy is about. Mostly we have the lithe gazelle's purring around the pitch (in my dreams, but you get what I mean), but thankfully it's not always so clinical.

Wind, boggy pitches with puddles in the goalmouth, frost and snow make the drama all the more interesting. Teams have to be prepared for battling in out in what is simply how it is out there and adapt to the conditions.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 13, 2015, 05:31:11 pm by IDM »
I always thought our ex-defender's real name was Sam Hirdog!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 13, 2015, 07:43:08 pm by Donnywolf »
The Darlington game was ridiculous. I remember Andy Warrington taking a goal kick and it looping back and out for a corner.

I think it was flag day too!

I have posted this before on here but hey what the hell !

I was at Burnley v Chelsea aeons ago and there was a GALE blowing straight down the pitch from what was the "open end" and maybe still is,

I think Chelsea were attacking the open end and so straight into the wind. One of them played a ball forwards (humped it to be truthful) and immediately I thought "goal kick" for sure. And so I reckon did the Photographer to the side of the Goal.

He jumped up to kick the ball back to the Keeper but at that point the ball decided to hold up on the wind. The Photo bloke though was committed and was drawn towards the ball. I knew that he knew he had been dragged into the action and yet still he kept going - all sheepish like - till he kicked the Ball around 6 or 8 yards from where he had been sitting !

PMSL laughing and of course the Ref had to come and b*****k him for entering the field of play and even he could see what had happened - and gave the Camera bloke a pretend finger wagging A1

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 13, 2015, 07:52:40 pm by bpoolrover »
The wind is forecast to die down abit here tomorrow afternoon it's the rain thats a problem

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 13, 2015, 08:06:11 pm by drfchound »

I TOO THOUGHT IT WAS SAM WHO HEADED THE BALL OVER BEN SMITH FOR THE OWN GOAL THAT NIGHT.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 13, 2015, 08:07:55 pm by roversdude »
Chesterfield away years ago was horrendous we couldn't get out of our 18yd box

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 13, 2015, 09:02:12 pm by les@donr »
I remember the Darlo game was refereed by a certain Mr Kettle!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 13, 2015, 11:15:50 pm by NickDRFC »

I TOO THOUGHT IT WAS SAM WHO HEADED THE BALL OVER BEN SMITH FOR THE OWN GOAL THAT NIGHT.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE SHOUTING ABOUT! LOUD NOISES!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 13, 2015, 11:20:50 pm by dknward2 »
Just finished watching that Brick is awesome

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 14, 2015, 09:15:22 am by drfchound »

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE SHOUTING ABOUT! LOUD NOISES!

Sorry for shouting,  the computer was on caps lock and i couldn't be bothered to go back and retype it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012