Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:08:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scab  (Read 5556 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Scab
« Reply #30 on November 09, 2021, 07:12:41 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Does anyone think things would have been different if everyone went out on strike back then?
Just more families without food on plates.
And yes, I was around in the 80,s. Mums family from stainy, dads from Moorends. Both pit families.
Striking was as a futile then, as it is now.

No I believe you are wrong, if Scargill had put his ego to one side and called a vote the strike would have been legal and then more industries would have been inclined to join in. Remember that up till then Unions we’re far stronger before that strike

I'd have to look it up to be certain but I think secondary strikes had been made illegal by that time.

Not talking about secondary strikes Glynn just other strikes taking place, certainly the NUR would have called a strike on pay and conditions

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on November 09, 2021, 07:16:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Does anyone think things would have been different if everyone went out on strike back then?
And yes, I was around in the 80,s. Mums family from stainy, dads from Moorends. Both pit families.

No I believe you are wrong, if Scargill had put his ego to one side and called a vote the strike would have been legal and then more industries would have been inclined to join in. Remember that up till then Unions we’re far stronger before that strike

I'd have to look it up to be certain but I think secondary strikes had been made illegal by that time.

Not talking about secondary strikes Glynn just other strikes taking place, certainly the NUR would have called a strike on pay and conditions

Anyone not directly in contention with their own employers are taking secondary action.

And I think it would be a massive assumption that Scargill was in any way popular with other union leaders and that they'd want to help him in any way, especially in this folly.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on November 09, 2021, 07:29:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Anyone not directly in contention with their own employers are taking secondary action.

And I think it would be a massive assumption that Scargill was in any way popular with other union leaders and that they'd want to help him in any way, especially in this folly.

Scargill wasn’t popular but the NUR were in conflict with the BR board just scared of Thatcher, if a vote had taken place things may have been different. All conjecture though and it should be left in the pass. I will sit and cringe when I hear the inevitable chants

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 09, 2021, 07:50:41 pm by PDX_Rover »
Let’s hope we never play Lazio or Roma… colonisers! Caster building bas**rds.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 09, 2021, 09:07:25 pm by Filo »
Do they still burn old ladies as witches where you live?

Only if the old lady is Margaret Thatcher

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 09, 2021, 09:24:24 pm by Colin C No.3 »
2 pages now so giving the op more credence than deserved?

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 10, 2021, 05:05:41 pm by Jimmydee »
2 pages now so giving the op more credence than deserved?

What’s credence got to do with your comment?
The fella typed a post about his feelings of a true episode in our local history that meant a lot to our town and also as a Rovers supporter.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 10, 2021, 05:39:23 pm by ravenrover »
Misguided, JMHO

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 10, 2021, 06:45:08 pm by roversdude »

Don’t really want to prolong this thread but there was a vote

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 10, 2021, 07:37:12 pm by Goole Rover »

Don’t really want to prolong this thread but there was a vote
By the NUM membership ? The strike was found to be  illegal in September 84 as no vote had been taken by the membership.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 10, 2021, 07:42:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
There had been a vote by the Yorkshire Area membership, albeit a few years earlier but this still technically supported the strike action in the region.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on November 10, 2021, 07:42:50 pm by idler »
How can anybody think that Arthur Scargill was blameless in what happened to the miners?
His ego cost miners thousands in lost earnings plus hastening the demise of the mining industry.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 10, 2021, 08:22:04 pm by danumdon »
Is old Arthur still holed up in his grace and favour bungalow?

I bet his Missus never had to do a turn on the stage in the walfare club on a sunday afternoon to make ends meet?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on November 10, 2021, 10:54:32 pm by roversdude »
There had been a vote by the Yorkshire Area membership, albeit a few years earlier but this still technically supported the strike action in the region.

Correct - the year previously with a mandate up to and including strike action

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 11, 2021, 09:05:37 am by ravenrover »
Please note, a vote in Yorkshire!

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 11, 2021, 10:02:54 am by ss1953 »

I bet his Missus never had to do a turn on the stage in the walfare club on a sunday afternoon to make ends meet?

He also had a flat for life in the Barbican till a few years ago, when the NUM had to fight a court action to reclaim it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386730/Arthur-Scargill-faces-eviction-1-5m-luxury-apartment-NUM-launch-legal-action.html

Also managed to wangle a car allowance for life:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/302631/Arthur-Scargill-fights-NUM-for-50k-perks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:09:48 am by ss1953 »

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 11, 2021, 10:52:37 am by The Beast »

He also had a flat for life in the Barbican till a few years ago, when the NUM had to fight a court action to reclaim it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386730/Arthur-Scargill-faces-eviction-1-5m-luxury-apartment-NUM-launch-legal-action.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/302631/Arthur-Scargill-fights-NUM-for-50k-perks

Daily Mail, Daily Express, good reliable sources. 

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 11, 2021, 11:27:59 am by ss1953 »
Only reporting what happened in court

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 11, 2021, 12:58:01 pm by drfchound »
Did Scargill draw his wages during the strikes.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 11, 2021, 01:17:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Good grief. Another football thread turns into a political debate.
If debate is the right word.

The miners strike referred to happened over 37 years ago.
What on earth this has got to do with Mansfield Town FC and Doncaster Rovers FC I do not know. Thought they were both football clubs.

So for someone to open a new thread titled scabs scabs scabs has no bearing whatsoever with DRFC v Mansfield Town FA Cup Round 2 fixture in 2021

Quite frankly it would have been nothing to do with this fixture if it was in 1984.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 11, 2021, 01:19:58 pm by Goole Rover »

Daily Mail, Daily Express, good reliable sources.
I’m sure legal proceedings would have started if the reports were untrue.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on November 11, 2021, 02:13:35 pm by belton rover »

What on earth this has got to do with Mansfield Town FC and Doncaster Rovers FC I do not know. Thought they were both football clubs.

So for someone to open a new thread titled scabs scabs scabs has no bearing whatsoever with DRFC v Mansfield Town FA Cup Round 2 fixture in 2021

Quite frankly it would have been nothing to do with this fixture if it was in 1984.

It never was a football thread.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 11, 2021, 02:45:58 pm by Campsall rover »

In that case it should be in Off Topic.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on November 11, 2021, 04:32:35 pm by roversdude »

In that case it should be in Off Topic.
Agree

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 11, 2021, 10:04:55 pm by tyke1962 »
Defiantly an off topic debate in my opinion .

I don't particularly like talking about the 84/85 Miners Strike , it's too painful and I think it's the case with the majority of ex miners who were involved .

The strike left a good many of us with scars that we live with  but you never really get over them .

I don't particularly want to hear spotty kids shouting scab at Mansfield , Forest or County fans to tell the truth .

I know what I think of those who worked during the conflict and that's never changed or ever likely to all these years later .

It's interesting to read some of the comments about Scargill on this thread .

I wasn't a fan , never was of the bloke at any time .

The fact is he'd no choice but to take strike action when Cortonwood was announced it was closing .

The local and area NUM delegates  were never going to be talked down by the hierarchy at the top of the NUM and unions are bottom to top organisations .

If Scargill hadn't gone the way he did the membership especially in Yorkshire would have strung him up .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 12, 2021, 06:32:57 am by roversdude »
Tyke that’s a fair summary and mirrors my thoughts and feelings

TinyPortal © 2005-2012