Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:15:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Subs cost us game  (Read 5314 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Subs cost us game
« Reply #30 on January 01, 2013, 08:01:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The game was going even better than I expected, although I expected we'd be 2-0 up by 60 mins but it took us to 61 mins to get the second! The stage then set for Copps to make his entrance.

All going to plan, in total control of a poor Blades team (although affected by injury) and despite a very lenient ref on persistent fouling. Then, the pen. Couldn't really tell what happened as it looked like nothing did. If it's true what Saunders said about the kid diving then the ref's given them an undeserved lifeline.

The only sub I would question, is the Martis one. I said at the time it was a SODesque type substitution but other things then conspired against us and, don't get me started about Kitson, who'd otherwise been out-muscled and out-played throughout the game.

Still, it was overall an excellent performance that could and should have been topped off with a third goal to show the real gap between the teams on the park.

Gutting to only draw but more positives to be taken and how wonderful it was to see a near full KM. I stopped to look around the ground when we scored the second and to see everyone bouncing was a joy.

By rights, there should be more of the same to come. Roll on Saturday.       

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

« Reply #31 on January 01, 2013, 08:16:09 pm by pubteam »
I don't think we can look at one single cause.

We should've really added another goal to kill the game off and we didn't. If we'd done that and put the game beyond Sheffield United, I think they'd have struggled to get two goals after Paynter's sending off.

The sending off didn't help, because Paynter was our only striker left on the pitch, and we'd made all our subs. That meant we were penned in our own box for the last 4 or 5 minutes plus added time and had no outlet. If we'd had one sub remaining then maybe we could've put Jordan Ball on and we'd have had someone up field to play the ball up to.

Either way, we should've defended better to prevent Kitson from scoring. I think we went into panic mode and it was like pinball in our box.

I think that combination of things, plus Hume having to go off, pretty much adds up to a bit of rotten luck. Things just seemed to go against us in that final 15 or 20 minutes, and ultimately we've lost the points. But these things happen, sometimes you draw games you should win, but it's not the end of the world. We'd probably have been fairly happy with a point against the Blades before kick off. I don't think it's fair to start pointing the finger at the manager or at certain individual players. The substitutions were not made with the foresight that we were going to go down to ten men, that's for sure.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 01, 2013, 08:27:32 pm by andyst79 »
Donnybaz, pubteam fair assessments those . Frustrated after the game and easy to try & point the blame just seemed the game changed when copps game on ref didn't help and like you say db fetching Martis on was typical sod feared the worst after that

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 01, 2013, 09:00:48 pm by andysly »
They were a beaten side before the defensive screw up for the penalty. That obviously gave them some hope, in my opinion the combination of Martis for Hume and  Paynter off cost us.
It's easy in hindsight but throwing someone upfront would've been better than playing 4-5-0 as it was easy to see the ball keep coming back.
Even Martis or more probably Syers up there would've made their defenders work a bit and not just bang the ball back at us.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 01, 2013, 10:17:53 pm by Drover »
Thought Bennett was good today. Put some great crosses in and looked positive. Coincidence that he's started playing well just as the transfer window opens?

Thats what I thought.Also wondered if his recent underpar performances were due to him likely to be going to Forest in the window as some rumours said,but now SOD's been sacked,he's playing better to impress other championship suitors?

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 02, 2013, 02:43:15 am by Scooter »
Maybe should have put martis up front just to throw his weight about and bully their defence?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 02, 2013, 09:49:34 am by Norfolk N Chance »
I'm sorry but copps cost us the game 2day, every player played out their skin 2day absolutely no1 deserved to come off. Cruising at 2-0 no need 2 make any changes unless forced. As much as he deserves a home coming 2day was not the day. Martis didn't help either

Total crap

we played 12 men

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 02, 2013, 11:57:27 am by Al4475 »
As daft as it may sound - I'm going to agree with the OP here BUT I'm not blaming anyone! These were my observations and we inadvertently allowed the Blunts back into play in those last 15 minutes.

Until we swapped Bennett for Copps the midfield were supporting Hume and Paynter as much as they could, therefore we looked like we were going to score at will - hence the chant that started, "We're Donny Rovers, we'll score when we like etc..." They were also tracking back en masse too.

Copps came on and looked very lively considering he's hardly played for the Florists, and had a couple of decent chances before their goal, and also a good penalty shout too so he had a positive impact on the game too.

However, did anyone else notice how when Copps arrived, the team instructions seemed to be to encourage Copps to support Paynter and Hume alone. Syers, Cotterill and Keegan all dropped back and  lost a bit of attacking impetus.

So maybe we tried to shut up shop a touch too early and maybe should've carried on attacking for five mins longer! Obviously you can't account for the actions of a referee but that was my take on it.

Basically, I felt Copps re-introduction while great for us, maybe had a negative affect on the attacking instincts of the team unit - probably 5 mins or so too soon!

The Martis swap with Hume was enforced and with 7 mins (or whatever it was) to go so was unavoidable. I'd have maybe stuck Ball on or even stuck Martis up top to keep the shape and balance that had served so well throughout the game until those last 15!

Ah well, nevermind - we're feeling like we've been robbed by the 'Best Team In The League' when in truth they were outclassed for 80 mins - so despite the result and our disbelief today - we're in a great position for the rest of the season!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012