Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:07:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: set pieces and all that.  (Read 2741 times)

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
set pieces and all that.
« on November 11, 2018, 10:15:17 pm by esdailles left foot »
we're appalling at set pieces and have been for years. Probably the only team in the FL who don't have a player who can throw a ball over 10 feet, terrible at defending set pieces even when we bring every player back to defend. Can't beat first man at corners, been shite since Cotterill. Set pieces are an important part of modern football, why are we so poor.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: set pieces and all that.
« Reply #1 on November 11, 2018, 10:22:23 pm by Donnywolf »
I dont know the answer in your last sentence BUT you are exactly right in what you say in the first 2/3rds of your Post

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 12, 2018, 09:04:37 am by wing commander »
  There is no doubt we have a problem with set pieces and defending balls into the box..Bowyer said after the Charlton game they had identified a weakness at defending set pieces and had been working on them prior to our game and it paid off..Chorleys manager also said pretty much the same thing after the game yesterday..
   I also think we have a problem with them in the attacking sense as well but that will have to wait for now..We have to get it sorted at the back,The defenders have got to start clearing the ball properly,we seem to just put the ball back into a bad area even when they win it..And players have to start reacting quicker,Letting a man have a free run into the box from a set piece is pretty criminal at this level..
    So I hope that is the priority of the week for the whole team because we cant keep shipping 2 or 3 goals a game and expect to get much from them..Yesterday a team of posties and decorators who spend all week at work and normally only train for 2 hours once a week had us in big big trouble..We need to really tighten up..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 12, 2018, 09:48:45 am by Donnywolf »
Yes - the first Goal was a shocker. Our Players it seemed were still stood for the Poppy Day Silence as the bloke had a free Header which he hammered in with power and accuracy

I cringed every set piece after that due a lot to the size of their Side - while conversely I never expected us to get anything against their Big Men even when we sent our Big Men forward. It was the same in open play against particularly their 6 but at least in the Replay on a better surface (not using that as an excuse) we should be able to pass them to death

They "won" yesterdays battle but will ultimately lose the "war". That I concede does not help our lack of ariel strength in any way and it really DOES need addressing quickly

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 12, 2018, 10:05:09 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I think that we’re really missing a big target man up front in the Ernie Moss/Leo Fortune West/David ‘Bruno’ Jones mould.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 12, 2018, 11:23:04 am by GazLaz »
I think that we’re really missing a big target man up front in the Ernie Moss/Leo Fortune West/David ‘Bruno’ Jones mould.

You’d  swap any of them for John??

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 12, 2018, 12:51:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I've never understood how were so bad a throw ins, they always lead to an opposition attack. Also, kick offs? Why do we hoof it down one of the wings all the time?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 12, 2018, 01:56:45 pm by Donnywolf »
.... and a lot of the Throws are Foul Throws but that is in common with the Throws of most Teams these days

Dabby

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 12, 2018, 02:44:41 pm by Dabby »
One on each post would be a start from corners, we dont do the simple things first, its not rocket science .

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 12, 2018, 03:55:33 pm by Barmby Rover »
I thought Andrew was supposed to have a long throw in?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 12, 2018, 03:59:09 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes I seem to recall he could launch one before he got injured last Season

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 12, 2018, 04:01:18 pm by Donny Exile in York »
The only time we have ever been consistently good defending set pieces and attacking them at the other end was in the era of McCombe, Jones, and Quinn and Spurs at the back, all over 6ft and a case of land of the giants, with Chris Brown and Billy Painter also good in the air in both boxes. That was with the worst goalkeeper in my time watching Rovers, namely Gary Woods! So we need some quality giants at the back and upfront and to organise them well. Don't know why we have never tried to replicate that winning formula!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 12, 2018, 04:28:01 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

You’d  swap any of them for John??

Nope, but they’d offer another option up front and compliment Marquis’s talents

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 12, 2018, 05:59:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
The only time we have ever been consistently good defending set pieces and attacking them at the other end was in the era of McCombe, Jones, and Quinn and Spurs at the back, all over 6ft and a case of land of the giants, with Chris Brown and Billy Painter also good in the air in both boxes. That was with the worst goalkeeper in my time watching Rovers, namely Gary Woods! So we need some quality giants at the back and upfront and to organise them well. Don't know why we have never tried to replicate that winning formula!

How players do we have know 6ft plus. I would say the 2 centre halves
JM just and Whiteman. That’s why JM has to try and mark a player and if managers recognise the problem then why can’t our ex defender assistant manager.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 12, 2018, 06:31:58 pm by graingrover »
our defenders mark the attackers John M has lost out  twice in recent games when one on one with an attacking defender.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 12, 2018, 06:34:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

One on each post would be a start from corners, we dont do the simple things first, its not rocket science .

Tend to agree especially if you are struggling to defend corners, go back to basics and players on each post cuts down the size of the goal considerably.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 12, 2018, 06:34:30 pm by RoversAlias »
Marquis has cost us quite a few goals when trying to defend a goal this season, by my count it is at least 4 and may be more. However Wilks was more culpable for that one yesterday, he let his man go and Marquis was jumping from a standing start whereas O'Keefe was running on and attacking the ball, a dream for anyone trying to head the ball goalward.

The wider problem needs addressing and that is the whole team's inability to defend corners. It is alarming how often we are shipping goals in this manner.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 12, 2018, 07:47:44 pm by elmsallrover »
Needs sorting even the under 18s conseeded two goals from corners vs Bradford  at the weekend

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 13, 2018, 05:20:47 am by roversdude »
I seem to remember Cliff Byrne was a no nonsense type player who could defend corners so it’s surprising how poor we are at defending set pieces. If we could have a Rob Jones type this team would not be far off

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 13, 2018, 07:43:37 am by GazLaz »
We should go zonal, much better than man for man.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 13, 2018, 04:51:12 pm by albie »
That first goal really is a shocker.

We are beaten by movement and aggressive intent. Their lad shows a desire, while we just watch and hope he misses.

Marquis is not marking him at first, but when he runs off his marker no-one picks up the need to block his run.

Marquis jumps like he wearing Divers boots. He is a complete liability defending set pieces.
My Gran would have got a block on that run,.....and she's dead!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 13, 2018, 04:59:44 pm by drfchound »
That first goal really is a shocker.

We are beaten by movement and aggressive intent. Their lad shows a desire, while we just watch and hope he misses.

Marquis is not marking him at first, but when he runs off his marker no-one picks up the need to block his run.

Marquis jumps like he wearing Divers boots. He is a complete liability defending set pieces.
My Gran would have got a block on that run,.....and she's dead!

albie, the scorer made a very late run into the box from thirty five yards out.
No one was marking him at all, how can anyone when he is so far out of the box.
The other Chorley players all go to the near post (so obviously so do all the defenders who are picking them up)to create space for him to run into.
The delivery into the space is perfect.
It is a very well planned corner and is one that we used to use thirty years ago.
If the ball in is good it is very hard to defend against so credit must go to Chorley for a good set piece and sometimes things like that are hard to stop.
As for Marquis, it is hard to jump from a standing position and get the better of a player running onto the ball.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 13, 2018, 05:12:07 pm by albie »
Sorry Hound, I can't agree.

Defending a set piece always involves being aware of late runners into the box. It is a standard prep to be alive to that.

The ball is in flight for a long time without us adjusting position to adapt. For me, JM does not adapt to the flight of the ball, nor get out to block the incoming runner.

Poor defensive organisation for me....but we all see a different game don't we?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 13, 2018, 05:19:31 pm by drfchound »
As we know, all goals are preventable.
The thing is though it isn't always able to be done otherwise there would be a series of 0-0 draws.
Take Kanes' second goal for example.
He picks the ball up a long way out, goes past the first man who should have made a better attempt to get a tackle in.
Then no one goes to close him down so he has time to try and pick his spot.
Could the keeper have done better too?
if we had conceded that the board would be awash with people slating our defenders and the keeper.
Sometimes you just have to say that the opposition outwitted us.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 13, 2018, 05:36:37 pm by Donnywolf »
Good point there Hound

Also look at the 4th Goal in my Vote for Herbie piece https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=267864.0 The goal is good but he was able to just run run run till he arrived in the Box and then shot

Imagine us letting in such a goal and the uproar about each Players hand in it !

Behind all the Drainpipes and Girders at Chorley (and through them) I saw the bloke belting into the Area (first goal) and could see the Ball and he were in perfect synchronicity . IF I could have stopped the action and bet on the outcome I would have gone "all in" on his scoring and I was not surprised in the least when it flew in
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:32:06 pm by Donnywolf »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012