Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:13:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If SOD does go who would replace him?  (Read 16903 times)

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
If SOD does go who would replace him?
« on December 17, 2010, 10:13:18 pm by donnygreenjeans »
If the unbearable does happen i'm not sure who be a realistic replacement, probably Phil Brown for me!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
Re:If SOD does go who would replace him?
« Reply #1 on December 17, 2010, 10:17:24 pm by Viking Don »
I sincerely hope the future isn't as bright as that.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 17, 2010, 10:18:04 pm by SkellowRover »
donnygreenjeans wrote:
If the unbearable does happen i'm not sure who be a realistic replacement, probably Phil Brown for me!

b*llocks to that, i'd rather shove a red hot poker up my arse then have tan man running my club.

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 17, 2010, 10:27:05 pm by donnygreenjeans »
[b*llocks to that, i'd rather shove a red hot poker up my arse then have tan man running my club.[/quote]

Why b*llocks to that? We wouldn't have to pay any compensation as he hasn't got a club, he got hull promoted to the premier league and he saved them from getting relegation in their first season in the premier league!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 17, 2010, 10:29:58 pm by Viking Don »
:) I thought you'd answered your own question there when you said he hasn't got a club - close, clue is very close to club!

That pitch team talk singled him out as a CAUC.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 17, 2010, 10:31:02 pm by vaya »
donnygreenjeans wrote:
[b*llocks to that, i'd rather shove a red hot poker up my arse then have tan man running my club.

Why b*llocks to that? We wouldn't have to pay any compensation as he hasn't got a club, he got hull promoted to the premier league and he saved them from getting relegation in their first season in the premier league![/quote]

... by spending a large amount of money which crippled the club for the foreseeable future.

Good plan.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 17, 2010, 10:35:47 pm by SkellowRover »
donnygreenjeans wrote:
[b*llocks to that, i'd rather shove a red hot poker up my arse then have tan man running my club.

Why b*llocks to that? We wouldn't have to pay any compensation as he hasn't got a club, he got hull promoted to the premier league and he saved them from getting relegation in their first season in the premier league![/quote]

I'd rather have a manager that plays great attractive football with the same principles as SoD. There is only 1 choice for me that can pick up SoD's reigns and carry on running this club in the same fashion, and thats the guy who did exactly the same thing at Bournemouth after SoD left. He saved them dropping out of the league with a 17 point deduction, the following season got them promoted to league 1 and has them in the top 3 in league 1 this season and a good bet to get promoted to the championship............. Step forward Eddie Howe.

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on December 17, 2010, 10:42:41 pm by VikingJames »
Paul Tisdale for me. Might be difficult to lure him away from Exeter, but he is the type of guy we need. Another SOD really. Young, ambitious, intelligent, and gets his teams playing the right sort of football.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 17, 2010, 11:26:58 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I'd go for Chris Hughton.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 17, 2010, 11:30:08 pm by BobG »
Tisdale or Howe for me. b*llocks to Lee Clark and co :) Far too industrial!

BobG

yapper1901

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 17, 2010, 11:31:48 pm by yapper1901 »
the one and only name should be richard o'kelly

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 17, 2010, 11:32:46 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
donnygreenjeans wrote:

Jeez; you've got a lot to learn.
Go and ask City fans (proper ones that used to go to Boothferry) about Phil Brown.
What an absolute clown he is.
Ask them about how the club was run with him, Duffen and Ashbee.
Why do you think they nearly went bust?

VikingJames

« Reply #12 on December 17, 2010, 11:35:23 pm by VikingJames »
yapper1901 wrote:
the one and only name should be richard o'kelly

He'll go with SOD though (if he actually goes,) surely?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 17, 2010, 11:58:03 pm by Wellred »
If SOD does go I would expect JR to go for.........................................................................wait for it.

Mark Wilson

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 18, 2010, 12:00:18 am by BobG »
He's an obvious choice Wellred isn't he? I'd be happy with that. I should have had him on my list.

BobG

VikingJames

« Reply #15 on December 18, 2010, 12:01:58 am by VikingJames »
I don't mean to be rude, but how the hell is he an obvious choice?

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 18, 2010, 12:02:53 am by SkellowRover »
Willo will mkake a great manager one day i think but i don't know if he is ready yet, hell he's only 31 and may still want to be a player for 2-3 more seasons first and enjoy the twilight of his career that way before the strain of management.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 18, 2010, 12:04:05 am by BobG »
He's been talked about on here quote a bit! :):0

Seriously, I believe he's said he wnats to go into management; he's an intelligent bloke; he's supposed to be pretty clued up about playing the game, and, he'd be cheap.

Cheers

BobG

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 18, 2010, 12:04:30 am by hoolahoop »
I don't think SO'D will go ..........this is academic. Does everyone know summat I don't ?

VikingJames

« Reply #19 on December 18, 2010, 12:07:40 am by VikingJames »
Makes little difference though does it? He might have the potential to be a manager, but I wouldn't say he was an 'obvious choice' at all. He might be useless for all we know. Surely he'd need a bit of experience in a coaching role first. Plus don't forget he hasn't even finished playing yet (although it looked like he had at times tonight  ;) )

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 18, 2010, 12:09:12 am by Viking Don »
Mark Wilson is a very long way from being my favourite player, in fact he's not even on the radar. But...he's worked under some very fine managers; Fergie, McClaran (love him, hate him, he's a fantastic club manager); Sean. He's also supposed to be a very decent chap and has the trust and friendship of the current squad, along with JR's vision of where we want to be.

That's why he'd be my first choice when it happens.

From the info coming out of the club, it's players that are determining how we play as they've 'got it'. Bringing someone new in would disrupt that.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 18, 2010, 12:14:23 am by hoolahoop »
Viking Don wrote:
Mark Wilson is a very long way from being my favourite player, in fact he's not even on the radar. But...he's worked under some very fine managers; Fergie, McClaran (love him, hate him, he's a fantastic club manager); Sean. He's also supposed to be a very decent chap and has the trust and friendship of the current squad, along with JR's vision of where we want to be.

That's why he'd be my first choice when it happens.

and as I understand it the coaching badges. Good player, great bloke and potentially a man for the future. We have a man for now and his name is Sean O'D.

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 18, 2010, 12:27:40 am by DadsleyRover »
I hope Sean stays but we have a good squad and if it does happen then we need to recruit another ambitious and thoughtful manager.
I would not discount Wilson but it may be too soon for him.

Lets see what goes on.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 18, 2010, 12:35:46 am by Viking Don »
The players have got Sean's style, he's passed on his knowledge. That's why I would look at someone from within first. Football is a game, all the new bloke needs to do is try and play it the same way as we already do. And have big shoulders.

We're not the type of side to go and get someone with experience when we already have that potential within the squad. e.g. DP anyone? (Not you Nudga).

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 18, 2010, 12:51:10 am by Akinfenwa »
Howe or Tisdale for me if possible although I think it could be difficult to get one of them. I can't think of anyone else good who is a realistic option. I would be wary of appointing someone from within as it would be a huge risk. We are the sort of club who can't afford to take the massive risk of appointing a rookie manager as we have to rely heavily on the skill of the manager to hold our own in this league. I'd like to think that we would be looking at someone with some sort of succcessful track record.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 18, 2010, 01:06:45 am by Viking Don »
The manager can have the skill of Pele but he doesn't usually play. It's not the skill of the manager that has got us to where we are. I'd look to JR for that, the 'skill' of the owner!

Ultimately it's the players whose skill has any effect on a game, and we've got 'em.

Noone had even heard of Sean before he came here and was given the resources to do what he did. But he's been here for ages and has passed on his philosophy. FFS it's only football, not some grand design, any one of his players could use the same ideas and become successful managers.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 18, 2010, 01:26:23 am by Akinfenwa »
We have a manager who is skilled at picking up frees and loans and moulding them into a team that plays how he wants. He is successful at implementing his successful philosophy. You can pass on your successful philosophy to whoever you want but if they cannot implement it then it's no good is it? If we appoint someone who cannot identify good players and mould them into a team (unteachable skills that Sean has) then knowing Sean's successful philosophy is useless. Look at some the shit managers that played under Alex Ferguson eg. Ince, Keane. Surely they should be good managers as Alex Ferguson has passed on his philosophy.

VikingJames

« Reply #27 on December 18, 2010, 01:30:52 am by VikingJames »
Viking Don wrote:
The manager can have the skill of Pele but he doesn't usually play. It's not the skill of the manager that has got us to where we are. I'd look to JR for that, the 'skill' of the owner!

Ultimately it's the players whose skill has any effect on a game, and we've got 'em.

Noone had even heard of Sean before he came here and was given the resources to do what he did. But he's been here for ages and has passed on his philosophy. FFS it's only football, not some grand design, any one of his players could use the same ideas and become successful managers.

You're talking out of your arse. He means his managerial skills, not whether he can do keepie uppies or not.

And as for your other point, why isn't Bryan Robson a fantastic manager after playing under Fergie for so many years? There's more to management than just picking up a few ideas. When Sean has to make tactical judgements during a game, they vary with the circumstances of the match. Willo isn't going to make the same decisions as O'Driscoll, and therefore he WON'T be able to replicate his style of play as easily as you make out.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 18, 2010, 01:33:28 am by Viking Don »
Well I can only bow to your superior knowledge of the game.

Honestly you really think experience makes a difference?

Give me an example in our recent history please.

BTW Most players under Fergie didn't become successful managers because they were already rich! But Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce aren't doing badly, did you conveniently forget those two PREMIERSHIP managers?

BTW James, thanks for explaining what skill means, I really had no idea... :woohoo:

VikingJames

« Reply #29 on December 18, 2010, 01:46:09 am by VikingJames »
Viking Don wrote:
Well I can only bow to your superior knowledge of the game.

Honestly you really think experience makes a difference?

Give me an example in our recent history please.

It's not about that. It's about risk.

If you appoint a manager who has already been a successful manager, it is less of a risk than appointing someone who has never even been in coaching, let alone management. That is quite obvious.

His point was that our survival at this level is a lot to do with SOD's managerial ability. His day to day management and his ability to mould rejects into good players. Therefore we probably can't afford to \"risk it\" and put Wilson in charge, because that could see us relegated. If a club with a really strong squad and a handsome budget took a risk and put somebody inexperienced in charge, they might get away with it, but for us, we might not be so lucky because of we are quite reliant on the success that SOD manages to get out of the resources he is given at the football club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012