Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:49:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If SOD does go who would replace him?  (Read 16869 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re:If SOD does go who would replace him?
« Reply #90 on December 19, 2010, 05:46:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think we all assume ROK will follow SOD whenever the call comes however, thinking more about it, this could be ROKs opportunity to elevate himself to No.1.

SOD maintains the ROK is his own man and will make his own mind up, so why not look at ROK with Mark Wilson as assistant?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on December 19, 2010, 06:23:52 pm by benaldo »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
I think we all assume ROK will follow SOD whenever the call comes however, thinking more about it, this could be ROKs opportunity to elevate himself to No.1.

SOD maintains the ROK is his own man and will make his own mind up, so why not look at ROK with Mark Wilson as assistant?

If not ROK, then I'd hope we could attract Hughton. Good bloke, good manager.

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on December 19, 2010, 06:40:22 pm by Wokingviking »
No-one seems to have mentioned that Mark Weaver may still be available...

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on December 19, 2010, 06:56:47 pm by lee.j09 »
i say get someone in who is pationate, unlike o'dwhisperrrrr

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on December 19, 2010, 07:16:38 pm by wilts rover »
lee.j09 wrote:
i say get someone in who is pationate, unlike o'dwhisperrrrr

so you dont want anyone who is any good or knows about football - you just want them to shout a lot....... no wonder SOD might want to leave!

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on December 19, 2010, 07:27:04 pm by lee.j09 »
so you dont want anyone who is any good or knows about football - you just want them to shout a lot....... no wonder SOD might want to leave

did i say anything about they have to shout alot or they shouldnt now anything about football??

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on December 19, 2010, 07:49:29 pm by donny dave »
What about John Sheridan, I always liked his teams although he sounds more boring than SOD.

Son of thor

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on December 19, 2010, 07:57:51 pm by Son of thor »
Neil Sullivan/ Willo combo ?  :unsure:

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 19, 2010, 08:30:30 pm by inSODwetrust »
yapper1901 wrote:
the one and only name should be richard o'kelly

I AGREE!!

:scarf:

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on December 19, 2010, 08:34:36 pm by Boyhood dreams »
I wouldnt mind Southgate. He seems to know what he's talking about  :ohmy:

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on December 19, 2010, 09:22:42 pm by DonnyRTID »
Boyhood dreams wrote:

Shame you don't, idiot Boy.

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 19, 2010, 09:24:07 pm by Boyhood dreams »
DonnyRTID wrote:
Boyhood dreams wrote:

I'm one of the very few that can take of the rose tints  :ohmy:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 19, 2010, 09:33:21 pm by wilts rover »
Boyhood dreams wrote:
DonnyRTID wrote:
Boyhood dreams wrote:

I'm one of the very few that can take of the rose tints  :ohmy:

if you think Gareth Southgate is a better manager than Sean O'Driscoll then you have got the vision of Stevie Wonder, so I should put them back on - how much did he waste at Boro and how steep a decline has he put them in!

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on December 19, 2010, 09:40:30 pm by PACMAN »
I don't believe for a second that SOD would want the pressure cooker that is the hotseat at the Lane. JR 's told him that he's got a job here for as long as he wants it!! Yes, the man has ambitions but if I were in his shoes I think I may be tempted to wait for a better (Wolves) job to become available!!

Having said that, if he's mad enough to take the Blades job then there are only three possibles for me who would meet JR's expectations in style of football terms:

Martinez
Poyet
Sousa

As two of them are currently not available then Sousa, by a process of elimination, is the obvious choice for me!!

Wilson's a no from me I'm afraid. Yes JR took a chance on a rookie manager in the Conference but there's too much at stake financially now for him to take that gamble again. Any new man must have management experience in the Championship, expect his teams to play football the right way and that's why Sousa fits!! I would, however, like to see Wilson given a coaching role with a view to being a future manager at some point.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on December 19, 2010, 10:38:57 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
PACMAN wrote:
I don't believe for a second that SOD would want the pressure cooker that is the hotseat at the Lane. JR 's told him that he's got a job here for as long as he wants it!! Yes, the man has ambitions but if I were in his shoes I think I may be tempted to wait for a better (Wolves) job to become available!!

Having said that, if he's mad enough to take the Blades job then there are only three possibles for me who would meet JR's expectations in style of football terms:

Martinez
Poyet
Sousa

As two of them are currently not available then Sousa, by a process of elimination, is the obvious choice for me!!

Wilson's a no from me I'm afraid. Yes JR took a chance on a rookie manager in the Conference but there's too much at stake financially now for him to take that gamble again. Any new man must have management experience in the Championship, expect his teams to play football the right way and that's why Sousa fits!! I would, however, like to see Wilson given a coaching role with a view to being a future manager at some point.

Why the fixation with foreign managers?

Keith Hill, Eddie Howe and Paul Tisdale all get their teams to play football on the deck; all with limited resources.
Ask the Swans fans about Sousa.... he cost them a play-off spot last year.
His man-management at Leicester this year may have been his downfall there.

JR would look for another SOD-type appointment.

Going off on a tangent; one manager that has really impressed me over the last year is Brian McDermott at Reading. He seems to be under all media radar; yet appears to be a decent, honest bloke too.
I do think we are blessed with better, more honourable managers at this level, when you consider SOD, McDermott, MacKay, Lambert, Rodgers etc; all getting their teams to pass the ball on the deck.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on December 20, 2010, 01:52:31 am by Viking Don »
It's looking like Sean is top of a few NPC sides lists this season anyway, whether to Sheff or Ipswich/Preston, all good moves for him to take him to the next level where he can show he's a realistic candidate for premiership management. Unless we can get a defence sorted before 2011 of course, in which case he may already be in the right job.

He'd be mad to leave to a club that has really no chance of finishing much higher than their small town neighbours for the next few seasons.

Anyway, Grayson did a great job at Blackpool and went on to a bigger club. Blackpool survived, and more.

Exciting times ahead, regardless.

EDIT: Mark Wilson is the obvious caretaker manager though  ;) Unless Copps fancies a player/manager role. Copps is now my all time favourite Rovers player BTW. Length of service and all considered.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 20, 2010, 02:01:25 am by Guernsey Exile »
For what my opinions worth
Exeter or bournemouth! the boys down there doin a job and defo fit jrs 'mould'

I repeat myself but................KEEGAN?????????????? WHY?

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on December 20, 2010, 02:10:44 am by Viking Don »
As Sean said in a recent interview, a club should bring in a manager who fits the style of the club, rather than constantly changing things to suit a new manager. We've already got the best manager we can get (realistically), so any replacement should fit DRFC's style.

Noone should forget that it was JR who wanted this style, and he got what he wanted. I'm guessing he's got used to getting what he wants, so it bodes well for DRFC. And us.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on December 20, 2010, 08:20:52 am by Nudga »
Viking Don wrote:
As Sean said in a recent interview, a club should bring in a manager who fits the style of the club, rather than constantly changing things to suit a new manager. We've already got the best manager we can get (realistically), so any replacement should fit DRFC's style.

Noone should forget that it was JR who wanted this style, and he got what he wanted. I'm guessing he's got used to getting what he wants, so it bodes well for DRFC. And us.

Also, SO'D has cultivated a footballing culture that is synonimous with DRFC and the board should make their appointment to carry on this footballing tradition in much the same way as Liverpool did in the 60s, 70s and 80s. A couple of days ago I thought about the Howe's and Tisdale's but i'm swaying to the idea of Wilson and Sulli taking it on on a caretaker basis and see how they go for six or seven games. They would obviously have their own ideas but nothing much would change playing wise so would be a smooth transition.

It's all hyperthetical really as SO'D is still in the hot seat.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 20, 2010, 01:21:21 pm by graingrover »
It's all about opinions ... I would welcome Dave Penney with the same verve as some display against him.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on December 20, 2010, 01:28:51 pm by CusworthRovers »
I would agree with the 'do not overhaul the clubs football policy/budget' approach and continue with a footballing manager. This would be the least impactive on our stability. I think if the lads play a style alien to them they will suffer and thus we all suffer. This approach has certainly worked with Swansea who have had 3 successive football managers of similar ilk.

I agree with a Martinez, Souza, one being definitely available. Don't know enough about Poyet, Tidsdale, Howe and how they play, only the glowing praise on here. I like Mowbray and of course Rodgers is of that ilk.

I think we should follow this route with the above types, or ROK with an added grooming of one of the senior players for continuity.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on December 20, 2010, 01:44:32 pm by Filo »
CusworthRovers wrote:

I think we should follow this route with the above types, or ROK with an added grooming of one of the senior players for continuity.

This is where you could step in Cussie, lend the club your expertise  ;)

antsrover

« Reply #112 on December 20, 2010, 05:40:15 pm by antsrover »
if sod does go to pastures new perhaps king kev could be tempted for one last hurrah,at the rovers his home town club,he could also put the extra bums on seats that ryan is looking for,whether he'd get us any further forward is another question but it would'nt be dull!!!

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on December 20, 2010, 08:51:12 pm by coventryrover »
would chris Hughton be out of our league.  Similar ethos to SOD, calm and considered,  seems to have a fair amount of integrity and determination

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on December 20, 2010, 09:03:35 pm by mushRTID »
I must admit im a little shocked at people wanting Mark Wilson.

Theres too much at stake for a novice to be 'given a go' just because he has played under a few good managers and speaks well in interviews.

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on December 20, 2010, 11:39:51 pm by donnygreenjeans »
Some realistic and non-realistic names......

Paul Trollope
Sam Allardyce
Chris Hughton
Craig Short
Gordon Strachan OBE
Paulo Sousa
Chris Sutton
Chris Turner
Kevin Blackwell
Steve Coppell
Martin O'Neill OBE
Phil Brown
Gary Megson  
Alan Shearer      
Gareth Southgate
Chris Coleman  
Iain Dowie      
Paul Jewell
Kevin Keegan.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on December 21, 2010, 08:03:53 am by keyser_soze »
I'm not sure why ROK is being mentioned as a possibility. I would have thought he would head straight off with SO'D, they seem to be a double act to me.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012