Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:42:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp & Copps  (Read 14367 times)

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
Re: Billy Sharp & Copps
« Reply #30 on May 13, 2011, 12:09:02 pm by DRFC-PERKINS »
Well done to the board, it would of been so easy for them to accept or get another 200k/300k out of them, but they didn't, hopefully some of the 300,000 people living in the area will see the wonderful job the board are doing, and buy their season tickets.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

herouk87

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 13, 2011, 12:20:49 pm by herouk87 »
300k for Copps is shocking, especially since we aren't looking to sell

If Jewell is going to play silly buggers then offer to swap Copps for Connor Wickham...then we can flog him to Man U for £15 mill :)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 13, 2011, 12:30:09 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"phil o sophical\" post=156378
According to J R  both players have been told about the bids and also our response to them. As you rightly say, if the players want to go then that puts a different slant on the issue

The option of whether the players want to go is not really relevant, both players have 2 years on their contracts if the club doesn't want to sell then that's the end of it. HOWEVER if either player expresses a wish to lead then that alerts buyers and in effect a bidding war commences. That is when the club decides if they want to sell or not

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 13, 2011, 12:34:03 pm by DRFC-PERKINS »
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=156388
According to J R  both players have been told about the bids and also our response to them. As you rightly say, if the players want to go then that puts a different slant on the issue

The option of whether the players want to go is not really relevant, both players have 2 years on their contracts if the club doesn't want to sell then that's the end of it. HOWEVER if either player expresses a wish to lead then that alerts buyers and in effect a bidding war commences. That is when the club decides if they want to sell or not

True, although from everyone keeps saying including copps and sharp, they both want to stay here, so no issues, i can't see them going this summer as no one will be prepared to pay the minimum 3.5/4 million for them both.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 13, 2011, 12:38:54 pm by Superspy »
also, and maybe some of you won't agree with me, but to me it's another reminder of how far we've come when we can bat away a 2.3 million bid for one of our players like it's an annoying fly :)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 13, 2011, 12:46:43 pm by coventryrover »
http://www.twtd.co.uk/mb.php

Hilarious reading the thoughts of the six fingered contingent.  How arrogantare these guys????  Its only Ipswich ffs

Chrisd_123

« Reply #36 on May 13, 2011, 12:47:35 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"DRFC-PERKINS\" post=156389
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=156388

True, although from everyone keeps saying including copps and sharp, they both want to stay here, so no issues, i can't see them going this summer as no one will be prepared to pay the minimum 3.5/4 million for them both.

That's the main point in this whole thing. Both Copps and Sharp have been quoted, and recently, saying that they're perfectly happy here and are not looking for a move. The only way I can see them going is if the bid is something that we just simply cannot reject - minimum 5 mil in Sharp's case.

They can bid all they want but IMO from what i've heard on here and else where about Sharp he's not looking for a move and unless its to a massive club, ie in the Prem, then i'm sure he's happy here. Ipswich would not be a good move as they already have decent strikers and he wont be loved as much as he is here, He'll be nowhere near first choice while they have Wickham

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 13, 2011, 12:49:21 pm by wabtec »
Brilliant SIR John acted quickly, informed the fans, got rid of speculation within hours.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 13, 2011, 01:08:40 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=156393
http://www.twtd.co.uk/mb.php

Hilarious reading the thoughts of the six fingered contingent.  How arrogantare these guys????  Its only Ipswich ffs

christ, its filling up with donny/sharp stuff faster than i can read it, i hate forums that work like that.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 13, 2011, 01:13:45 pm by DRFC-PERKINS »
at what point have we been arrogant? The suffolk tossers. Agreed that its great the board have acted quickly.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 13, 2011, 01:25:53 pm by Akinfenwa »
Of course we've been arrogant. We've dared to reject an insult of a bid from the mighty Ipswich Town and go public with the news. ;)

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 13, 2011, 01:27:28 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=156384
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=156382
i'd like to go on record as saying well done to the club for getting an official statement up relatively quickly and dealing with the situation.

seconded!

Thirded... and an even bigger pat on the back for John Ryan for making it public and pissing Ipswich off at the same time.  Reading their forum is like reading the Leeds one.  They really do think they're some sort of Premiership club in disguise, rather than a half decent Championship side who've made the mistake of hiring a shit manager who's about to piss all their new found wealth away!

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 13, 2011, 01:27:34 pm by phil o sophical »
I hope Copps has told his wife that the bid has been rejected because according to some of the posters on the Ipswich forum she's already got a job at Ipswich hospital :unsure:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 13, 2011, 01:29:29 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Great positive and speedy statement and am gald to hear it. Anything less than that would be season ticket sales suicide, so wise to keep it in perspective.

Having said that, my feeling for next season is it will be much tougher than this one, but that the potential for us doing better is there, and JR is unlikely to let an opportunity pass to engrave his stewardship of the club even stronger in the clubs history by gaining a record high seasons finish or beating the 8 seasons at this level in the 50's. I also think a few more seasons at this level will see the momentum of our support significantly grow.

I doubt Sharp will go to Ipswich without a massive offer. Copps may well be happy here, but its nearing the end of his career for the possibility of a move with higher wages. It depends how much they want him. An offer for over 500k with the higher wages is bound to be tempting for him and likely to be enough for the club to agree.

paddymacca

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 13, 2011, 01:38:53 pm by paddymacca »
Quote from: \"phil o sophical\" post=156405
I hope Copps has told his wife that the bid has been rejected because according to some of the posters on the Ipswich forum she's already got a job at Ipswich hospital :unsure:

I like the way they seem to know more about his wife than they do about him :laugh:

Also i don't get why they think Doncaster's fans are arrogant? Our rise up the football league in the past 6/7 years has been amazing and if our squad had of stayed fit for the second half of the season, we might have got a play-off spot. Certainly finish above Ipswich anyway.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 13, 2011, 01:43:15 pm by Superspy »
to be fair to them, having read quite a it on there it does seem that they also have some very level headed posters, who also acknowledge they have a small contingent of people in their ranks who think they are bigger than they are.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 13, 2011, 01:47:12 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Bloots seems like the only sensible person on there.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 13, 2011, 01:51:53 pm by Filo »
It`s all that inbreeding down that neck of the woods, miles from civilisation, it must scramble the brain!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 13, 2011, 01:54:10 pm by jonnydog »
... Their forum is shite too!!  :laugh:

Sadly this is going to be around now for a few months. I, like others have said, am pleased JR and the board have acted quickly, quashed any talk and got on with things. As SS2 has said, why would anyone accept a first offer anyway? On a realistic level, JR is a natural business man, he knows exactly what he's doing and if a realistic/good offer came in then he would work it to our advantage. With SODs ability to comb around for talented players who could gel into the team, any fee's received (if put back into the transfer budget) would also be used wisely.

I am not worried about this it's that time again and to be perfectly honest, with SOD and JR (and board) clearly with us, I remain surprisingly optimistic towards next season.

Again, well done to the board, management and JR... I owe my life to him!!  :thumbsup:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 13, 2011, 02:12:39 pm by RedJ »
Just a note on their forum - does it, to anyone else, smack of one of our old boards, before technology advanced to produce stuff like the one we have now? they really must be miles from civilisation :laugh:

Glad they reacted so quickly, glad it was handled so well.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 13, 2011, 02:32:13 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's like the old VSC forum.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 13, 2011, 02:49:30 pm by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: \"Sprotyrover\" post=156350
We live in a world where our directors have to stump up £3 million per season to keep us in the black,so I don't blame them if they sell,unfortunately a large number of people will be disapointed, I for one! in the boards lack of commitment if this was to happen.

If it was just a case of JR committing cash I would understand, but we have got some very very rich board members to whom £3 milliion is loose change.

I also believe that the board is on the cusp of making a massive committment to the future of the club and this sort of deal would go against what they appear to be trying to do.

As I said earlier :thumbsup:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 13, 2011, 02:51:10 pm by mushRTID »
300k for copps? What an insult, that wouldnt even buy his left peg! Mugs.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 13, 2011, 02:54:05 pm by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=156432
300k for copps? What an insult, that wouldnt even buy his left peg! Mugs.

Its a rural backwater what do you expect :laugh:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 13, 2011, 03:06:18 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"phil o sophical\" post=156405

Well, if that were true about her job transfer then there is clear evidence of a contracted player being tapped up, also some one at the HR department at Ipswich nhs trust as clearly contravened the data protection act. some people could potentially be in legal trouble :thumbsup:

VikingJames

« Reply #55 on May 13, 2011, 03:18:44 pm by VikingJames »
I find it:
1) Hilarious that Ipswich think that Coppinger is only worth £300k, and think that Billy Sharp is only worth £300k more than when he transferred to Sheffield United in 2007 before he'd even scored a goal at Championship level.
2) Infuriating that Ipswich think that they can boss us around, and think that just because we're a smaller club, we'll snatch their hands off at the first sign of any significant bid.

I really hope JR and the board hold their stance on this one. To see those two players leave to a divisional rival would be terrible. This is a perfect opportunity to set a precedent that we won't let our best players go easily. We need to take this chance to show the division that we don't need their money, and that they'll have to offer us proper money that they'd offer any other club to get our best players.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 13, 2011, 04:33:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
300k for Coppinger, sorry I haven't quite woken from the inept patheticness of that bid.

Sharp's was more sensible but still a good 700k-1m short of what I'd value him at.  3M is about right IMO.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 13, 2011, 04:42:44 pm by The Red Baron »
It's the Coppinger bid that got me. You could pay that for a League Two player who has had a good season but is unproven at this level.

Well done to the Rovers board for their prompt and direct response. I fear though that they could have a busy season fighting off suitors for Sharp and Coppinger.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 13, 2011, 04:48:45 pm by Rovers Return »
I personally think that they will put any emotions aside and will do what is best for themselves and their families. Offers will come in and they will be considered. Copps will take a pay day and Billy will further enhance his career. Sod, JR and the board will not stand in their way but will get what they can for them. Ala Wellens and Mills. If better offers don't come in, of course they will stay. Simples!:sick:

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 13, 2011, 05:01:21 pm by phil o sophical »
Billy has already found out when he got his dream move to the blades, that what on the face of it appears to be a step up doesn't always work out that way. You only have to look what Paul Jewell did when he took Greeny to Derby and played him as a holding player in midfield

TinyPortal © 2005-2012