Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:21:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New development close to the Keepmoat.  (Read 14120 times)

newyankee

• VSC Member
New development close to the Keepmoat.
« on July 13, 2012, 09:44:55 pm by newyankee »

According to the Doncaster Star there is to be a new 10 million pound development close to the Keepmoat. It is being built by the same company who built the new Rotherham Stadium. It is expected to bring 400 new jobs to the area.

If, as I expect he will, Gavin Baldwin gets his finger out,  this could be a major new source for sponsorship for the club. Hopefully many of the 400 will be or become Rovers supporters.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Muttley

• VSC Member
Re: New development close to the Keepmoat.
« Reply #1 on July 13, 2012, 10:15:04 pm by Muttley »
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/400-jobs-in-doncaster-leisure-park-plan-1-4739701

A MULTI-MILLION pound development to round off Doncaster Leisure Park could bring up to 400 new jobs to the town.

Property developers today confirmed they want to build a family pub, a separate restaurant, two drive-through restaurants and a terrace of six cafes on derelict land between the Asda store and the Vue cinema at Lakeside.

The plot - referred to by planning officers as the Herten Triangle - has never been occupied since the leisure park was first created in the 1980s and is one of the last remaining areas near The Dome available for commercial use.

Work on the site, bordered by Herten Way and Gliwice Way, would start in the autumn if planning permission is granted and units could be ready by next June.

Leeds-based developers GMI Property say the £10 million scheme is ‘very much aimed’ at the family leisure market.

Managing director James Poskitt said they are in discussions with interested companies for every one of the units, but he could not yet divulge names.

“We estimate some 230 full time equivalent jobs will be created which, using nationally accepted guidelines, will produce in the region of 380 full and part time jobs in total on this site. The interesting point is that most of these jobs will be recruited locally.

“The whole scheme is aimed at the family market to complement the existing offer from The Dome, Vue and other venues. There is definitely a market for this, given the level of interest we have had.

“There are some limited hotspots in commercial property and leisure associated with cinemas is one of them, where there is a value offer and where prices are not too high.”

If it goes ahead the scheme will be GMI’s second on the Lakeside. Previously the firm developed the South Quay office park, where Keepmoat is now headquartered along with Clyde Bergemann and Close Motor Finance.

The firm also has a high profile in South Yorkshire after winning the contract to construct the New York Stadium for Rotherham United.

The Herten Triangle will also boost Doncaster Council coffers from the proceeds of the sale of the land, although the tender amount has not been made public yet.

If planning consent is obtained, groundworks should start by October, said Mr Poskitt.

Access to the site will be off Herten Way opposite the cinema car park, with the family pub located near The Dome roundabout.

The Mayor of Doncaster, Peter Davies, said: “This proposed development shows Doncaster is continuing to make great strides while many other areas are struggling to attract investment during these difficult economic times.

“With key projects like the new Civic and Cultural Quarter and the White Rose Way improvement scheme well underway and the new link road from the M18 to the south of Doncaster to start later this summer, investors and developers can see the town’s undoubted potential.

“The Lakeside area is already a popular leisure destination and these plans can only enhance this hotspot. Doncaster has much to look forward to.”

A "family" pub a hundred yards from an existing "family" pub? (No such thing in my eyes as a family pub!)

A terrace of 6 cafes? Sound business sense there!

Two drive-through restaurants when there's a drive through McDonalds over the road?

Sounds great!

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 13, 2012, 10:25:25 pm by RTID75 »
That's not Davies talking, it's the money.

I don't live in Donny, but even I know that's just duplicating things already there - almost literally within a stones throw.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 13, 2012, 10:56:46 pm by newyankee »

I don't even live in the country RTID and so I can only go on what I read online. It does seem though with Council backing it should get the required planning permission. We shsosuld therefore be taking advantage of getting theem to sponsor the club in some way.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 13, 2012, 10:58:51 pm by newyankee »

Sorry, these damn fingers, for shsosuld  please read should. Too many s's.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 15, 2012, 12:30:19 am by DC- »
From what I understand the visitors to the area around the Dome are steady at best. The location is hardly ideal for those without a car, of course of which there are many in Doncaster. Six cafes? Really?

Little thought ... Keepmoat Stadium, The Dome and Doncaster Racecourse all within a stroll. I'd have put a cheap hotel there myself.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #6 on July 15, 2012, 05:46:30 am by GM-MarkB »
From what I understand the visitors to the area around the Dome are steady at best. The location is hardly ideal for those without a car, of course of which there are many in Doncaster. Six cafes? Really?

Little thought ... Keepmoat Stadium, The Dome and Doncaster Racecourse all within a stroll. I'd have put a cheap hotel there myself.

But there is a Park Inn, 2 Premier Inns, 1 Travellodge, 1 Campanile and an Express by Hoiliday Inn all within reasonable walking distance of all of those venues

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 15, 2012, 09:06:54 am by jonnydog »
Oooh... Interesting. I've recently noticed Burger King Drive-thru's popped-up in both Rotherham and Scunny retail parks. I do hope they'll be opening one on there... BK are SO much better than McD's and a a different class to the now poor KFC!

Fingers crossed on this, I do like chomping down on a Whopper it has to be said!!  :whistle:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:11:20 am by jonnydog »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 15, 2012, 11:02:36 am by MrFrost »
Expect a drive through Subway, Burger King, Nando's restaurant, Starbucks, Costa etc.
Not surprising. Go to Centertainment in Sheffield and it is only what is there, if there wasn't a demand for it, it wouldn't happen.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 15, 2012, 11:17:55 am by Sprotyrover »
Mmmmm  Nandos  :thumbsup:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 15, 2012, 11:45:16 am by River Don »
I'm just astounded that there can be a place for yet more restaurants, drive thru takeaways and cafes in Donny. Still I don't understand why Donny needs so many hotel rooms but they always seem to have customers.

What it'll inevitably mean is more empty shops and further decline of the traditional high street in the  town centre.

Perhaps it will help revive the Yorkshire outlet, that seems to be slowly losing it's higher profile retailers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:53:19 pm by River Don »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 15, 2012, 11:51:54 am by MrFrost »
Not really. Doncaster actually has little to offer with regards to the large restaurant chains such as Nando's, Pizza Express etc. And the Lakeside is the exact place they would open one if they were going to. Most towns I have visited have drive through Burger Kings and Subways as well, which Doncaster doesn't have.

I know Nando's plan to open in two restaurants in Doncaster shortly. I'm guessing one will be here.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 15, 2012, 11:58:29 am by River Don »
Little to offer in the way of fast food? Alright we're missing some brands Nandos, Pizza Express and Burger King but there is no shortage of junk food. How many drive through McDonalds are there? I can think of 5 and Then there's the one in town. If you want fried chicken, pizza, burgers you aren't exactly struggling.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 15, 2012, 12:04:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think it's a good idea and a good place to put such a development.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 15, 2012, 12:04:37 pm by MrFrost »
Compare it to other similar sized towns and cities, we do have little to offer, that's all i'm saying.
And there is obviously a demand for it, especially in the Lakeside area.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 15, 2012, 12:14:28 pm by River Don »
I doubt we have less, Donny doesn't have the slightly upmarket brands, Ask, Pizza Express, Wagamama, Gourmet Burgers that kind of business. We do seem to have more large restaurant pubs instead, that offer that level of food.

There's no wonder there's an obesity epidemic in this country is there?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:17:14 pm by River Don »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 15, 2012, 12:19:42 pm by RobTheRover »
A Nando's you say?  At least we will know where to find Kyle Bennett.  A mate of mine has a part time job at Nando's in Sheffield and he comes in there a lot.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 15, 2012, 12:51:04 pm by RedJ »
A Nando's you say?  At least we will know where to find Kyle Bennett.  A mate of mine has a part time job at Nando's in Sheffield and he comes in there a lot.

Woodsy too.

Bennett should visit McD's, he could do with beefing up a bit :chair:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 15, 2012, 12:56:15 pm by River Don »
If you're wondering why 6 cafes in the same place, as I understand it, the marketing theory suggests it is better to cluster cafes. Ever noticed how you find a Starbucks next to a Costa across the road from a Nero in other towns?

The idea is the people cotton on to the fact there is a coffee district, and that area will attract all the coffee business that they can then share, while other traditional family businesses in other parts of town are left without custom.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:51:35 pm by River Don »

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 15, 2012, 03:13:43 pm by jonnydog »
A TGI Fridays would also be good, bit pricey very nice food it has to be said!!

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 15, 2012, 09:26:14 pm by DC- »

But there is a Park Inn, 2 Premier Inns, 1 Travellodge, 1 Campanile and an Express by Hoiliday Inn all within reasonable walking distance of all of those venues

Never underestimate the laziness of the force ...

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 15, 2012, 09:34:22 pm by newyankee »
 Can someone please explain what Nandos, Costa and Nero sell as being on the other side of the pond I ave not heard of them, thanks.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 15, 2012, 09:53:19 pm by MrFrost »
Can someone please explain what Nandos, Costa and Nero sell as being on the other side of the pond I ave not heard of them, thanks.

Nandos is an upmarket KFC. Costa and Nero are poor mans Starbucks.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 15, 2012, 09:55:31 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Need to use those car parks alot more on non match days!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 15, 2012, 10:00:49 pm by River Don »
Costa is better than Starbucks, it tastes more like its got some coffee in it rather than just hot frothy milk.

They're all much too expensive though, with the huge cup sizes, does anyone really want a pint of coffee?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 15, 2012, 10:08:03 pm by hoolahoop »
Compare it to other similar sized towns and cities, we do have little to offer, that's all i'm saying.

Hello where have you been, having travelled throughout most of this country on a regular basis ; this town currently has more than sufficient outlets for both food and drink.
How many food and drink outlets do you think there are in Donny..................100's' of both.  Ckeck the Yellow pages and the internet Frosty, we have more than most if not all!!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 15, 2012, 10:24:39 pm by MrFrost »

Hello where have you been, having travelled throughout most of this country on a regular basis ; this town currently has more than sufficient outlets for both food and drink.
How many food and drink outlets do you think there are in Donny..................100's' of both.  Ckeck the Yellow pages and the internet Frosty, we have more than most if not all!!

I'm on about Franchise chains here. We currently lack Burger King drive through, Subway drive through, Nando's, Pizza Express, etc etc.

Pretty much every other town I can think of has these. And they are popular - so the market is definitely there.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 15, 2012, 10:43:04 pm by hoolahoop »

Quiz for tonight Frosty if you're up for it.................name 8 towns in the north of England of equivalent size where all these chains are.
Drive through grease bowls have their place but we have ample decent gastro pubs and takeaways in and around the town.

I'm on about Franchise chains here. We currently lack Burger King drive through, Subway drive through, Nando's, Pizza Express, etc etc.

Pretty much every other town I can think of has these. And they are popular - so the market is definitely there.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 15, 2012, 10:55:26 pm by River Don »
I suspect the reason they aren't here is because they know their sector is already saturated or in the case of Pizza Express or Ask probably believe there isn't the disposable income in the town for people to trade up from Pizza Hut. That Frankie & Bennies for instance doesn't seem to get packed out.

Anyway, it looks like there's more on the way but I suspect it'll just take trade from businesses in town.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 15, 2012, 10:59:51 pm by MrFrost »
I suspect the reason they aren't here is because they know their sector is already saturated or in the case of Pizza Express or Ask probably believe there isn't the disposable income in the town for people to trade up from Pizza Hut. That Frankie & Bennies for instance doesn't seem to get packed out.

Anyway, it looks like there's more on the way but I suspect it'll just take trade from businesses in town.

I guess the people of Wakefield and Barnsley must have more disposable income then....!
Like I said, if demand wasn't there, no developer would consider building them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012