Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:24:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goalkeeper research  (Read 1858 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Goalkeeper research
« on February 23, 2015, 09:56:56 am by wing commander »
  Listened to a  Interesting interview with our goalkeeper on Friday,he said many good things about our coaches and the level of work he has to put in on the training pitch compared to other places he has been....However he said something that raised my eyebrows in concern and it may be coincidence but then followed it up with a poor display at Vale so thought it was worth a mention..Basically he was asked what he knew about Port Vale?? His answer was absolutely nothing and he wasn't interested in them at all and it was all about us...While that's great does that mean that he isn't aware what footed the strikers are for instance,who shoots from distance and many other little bits like penalty takers to dead ball speacilists??? Or does he just rock up on a Saturday and play because it doesn't really matter???

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Goalkeeper research
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2015, 12:50:18 pm by Donnywolf »
Probably the conditions were against him but ...

... a mate of mine has been a Scout for 3 different Teams and I have been with him loads of times right back to when he was watching Paul Green for Coventry at Belle Vue v Boston United and Brownie got a Hat Trick I seem to remember (2 in a minute ?)

When he did his stuff Team wise he noted everything down that he could - including what foot the GK favoured - who took the corners and Free Kicks - any signals he could work out at set pieces - and so at the end of the game he would have a dossier on the opposition.

I would find it hard to believe we do not have someone doing that and passing on that info to the Players

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2015, 02:19:47 pm by The Red Baron »
I visited the training ground last season and I know that Dickov and Horton spend a lot of time going over scouting reports and videos. So what Bywater said is not consistent with the kind of planning that goes on behind the scenes.

Maybe he was just trying to make the point that whether we win or not depends on how we perform.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2015, 03:02:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Maybe he just got fed up with the formulaic questions.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2015, 03:10:49 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
funny this topic has turned up because early on in the season Bristol City were getting results with set plays - one none free kick example was where the bloke runs with the ball leaves it carries on running & his mate takes over so get the videos out - also beware of that one where from a corner the ball is aimed outside the penalty are and the forward volleys it at goal-- sure BC did it and scored once  --- they also score a lot of scrappy goals 
but who am i to tell rovers as if they are not already aware (fingers crossed)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2015, 04:43:11 pm by Donnywolf »
I visited the training ground last season and I know that Dickov and Horton spend a lot of time going over scouting reports and videos. So what Bywater said is not consistent with the kind of planning that goes on behind the scenes.

Maybe he was just trying to make the point that whether we win or not depends on how we perform.

I expect all of that is correct ! Its what every Team will do to a degree.

Even when they cant "Scout" personally they commission someone else to do it and at the game I referred to above my Mate helped out his contact at Kidderminster (I think it was who were scheduled to play Boston next)

Best story is when my Mate had a long spell at Huddersfield Town (years in fact) and at the first ever game at Keepmoat he rang me at Half Time as obviously he was Scouting elsewhere. He was frantic to know that the Goal we had scored was not our short corner routine flicked on to Spike Lee to head home

No I said - relax - you could have told your Keeper 2 weeks ago where Mark McCammon was going to put the ball and he still would not have saved it !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012